|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of dog was Nellie in "Groundhog Day" painted in 1958?
2. Which of the following is NOT represented in the 1960 painting, "Pleasant Point"?
3. What was the name of Wyeth's sister whom he painted in "My Sister" in 1967?
4. What was the subject of "Marsh Hawk" in 1964?
5. "Winter Bees" in 1959 is a painting of a ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is so essentially representative of Maine about the painting, "Incoming Sea"?
2. Why did U.S. President Dwight Eisenhower have Wyeth's painting, "Roasted Chestnuts" hanging in the White House for awhile?
3. What was significant about the time that Wyeth began to paint Siri Erikson in "Siri" in 1970?
4. Why did a woman named Phyllis immediately but the painting, "Slight Breeze" when she saw it?
5. What was Wyeth's father's concerns about Wyeth's "Edge of the Field" and what did a critic tell Wyeth's father about his son's work?
6. Why did Wyeth stop painting pumpkins after he created "Pumpkins" in 1968?
7. How did "The Trophy" show some of Karl Kuerner's hidden nature?
8. What is it about Wyeth's "Rope and Chains" that juxtaposes innocence and brutality?
9. Why did Wyeth and Betsy keep the painting, "Room After Room" for themselves?
10. What is the secret behind the painting, "Cider Barrel"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Christina Olson. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What were her primary motivations during her life?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of the power of nature is an important one in Wyeth's work. Describe how it extends through setting, subjects, technique, etc. and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 3
Andrew Wyeth was not always happy with the work he created. Name two examples of paintings that were not Wyeth's favorites and explain why he might have been disappointed with them.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)