|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Blue Box" in 1956 is a watercolor painting that depicts the inside of _________________.
2. Who was the subject of the painting, "Roasted Chestnuts"?
3. "The Finn" from 1969 was a portrait of George Erikson whose daughter, ______________, Wyeth wanted to paint nude.
4. Why was Wyeth's father worried about Wyeth's future?
5. What was Willard Snowden doing in the 1964 painting, "Woodchopper"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did "The Trophy" show some of Karl Kuerner's hidden nature?
2. What was significant about the time that Wyeth began to paint Siri Erikson in "Siri" in 1970?
3. What is the secret behind the painting, "Cider Barrel"?
4. What drew Wyeth in to paint "Buzzard's Glory" but why was he repulsed to the location?
5. Why was Wyeth so taken by the sight of the leaves floating away in "Floating Leaves"?
6. Why did U.S. President Dwight Eisenhower have Wyeth's painting, "Roasted Chestnuts" hanging in the White House for awhile?
7. What was Wyeth's challenge in creating "Snow Flurries" in 1953?
8. How did the painting, "Distant Thunder" evolve for Wyeth?
9. What was the subject matter of "Half Bushel" and what was Wyeth trying to represent with it?
10. Why did a woman named Phyllis immediately but the painting, "Slight Breeze" when she saw it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the impact that Wyeth's childhood had on him as an adult. What did it mean to be the son of a famous artist? What stigmas did Wyeth live with for his entire life? How did Wyeth use his childhood experiences to help in the creation of his life's work?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Betsy Wyeth. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What were her primary motivations during her life?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Andrew Wyeth. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)