|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Slight Breeze", painted in 1968, featured an item that was reminiscent of ____________________.
2. Whose house was featured in "Brown Swiss" in 1957?
3. What did Wyeth hope to capture in the 1968 painting, "Alvaro and Christina"?
4. Who was the subject in "Gunning Rocks" painted in 1966?
5. The 1967 painting "The Sweep" featured ______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it about Wyeth's "Rope and Chains" that juxtaposes innocence and brutality?
2. Why did U.S. President Dwight Eisenhower have Wyeth's painting, "Roasted Chestnuts" hanging in the White House for awhile?
3. What is so essentially representative of Maine about the painting, "Incoming Sea"?
4. How did "The Trophy" show some of Karl Kuerner's hidden nature?
5. Why did Wyeth stop painting pumpkins after he created "Pumpkins" in 1968?
6. What is the secret behind the painting, "Cider Barrel"?
7. What was the subject matter of "Half Bushel" and what was Wyeth trying to represent with it?
8. Why did Wyeth and Betsy keep the painting, "Room After Room" for themselves?
9. What was Wyeth's father's concerns about Wyeth's "Edge of the Field" and what did a critic tell Wyeth's father about his son's work?
10. Why was Wyeth so taken by the sight of the leaves floating away in "Floating Leaves"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Karl Kuerner. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would artists have a lonely life even though it may have seemed exciting and glamorous to other people? Why would Betsy have had an especially lonely life being the wife of Andrew Wyeth? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Who was Siri Erikson and what role did she play in Andrew Wyeth's life? At what point did Siri come into Wyeth's life? What did she represent for Wyeth at that point in time?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)