|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The danger in Wyeth's style of painting was that _____________________.
2. What did Wyeth do while painting "Blackberry Branch" in 1943?
3. "Before Picking" was a painting of ________________.
4. For how long had Wyeth been painting at the time this book was written?
5. What did the author say about how Wyeth felt about his art?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was "Spring Beauty" important in terms of Wyeth's evolving style?
2. What was the significance of "Trodden Weed" and why was the painting so emotional for Wyeth?
3. How did Wyeth use light in his paintings?
4. According to Thomas Hoving, how does Wyeth show that he struggled uncomfortably with his art?
5. What was atypical for Wyeth's source of inspiration for the 1953 painting, "Cooling Shed"?
6. What is the inherent danger when deep emotional and personal associations are used in artistic creations?
7. What period was Wyeth in when he painted "Lobster Traps" in 1939?
8. What was the subject matter of the 1940 painting, "Road Cut" and how did his future wife Betsy react to it?
9. Could Wyeth's style be narrowed down to any one technique?
10. What did Wyeth see as representing all of New England in his painting, "Toll Rope"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who was Helga Testorf and what role did she play in Andrew Wyeth's life? Why was Helga so important to Wyeth? Why did Wyeth keep Helga a secret from Betsy?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Christina Olson. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What were her primary motivations during her life?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of Wyeth's family in his life. What does his father's regard for his work mean for Wyeth? How were Wyeth's siblings also involved in the art world? How does the family evolve in its support of each other?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)