|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Wyeth hope to capture in the 1968 painting, "Alvaro and Christina"?
(a) A lifelong friendship.
(b) The Olsons' environment.
(c) A true love story.
(d) A divorce.
2. How did Wyeth feel about "Raccoon" painted in 1958?
(a) He thought it was not his finest moment.
(b) He loved it.
(c) He thought it was really bad.
(d) He was not sure he liked it.
3. Whose house was featured in "Brown Swiss" in 1957?
(a) The Portmans.
(b) The Kuerners.
(c) The Wyeths.
(d) The Segers.
4. The subject in "Spring Fed" from 1967 looks like water trickling on a/an __________________.
5. The 1967 painting "The Sweep" featured ______________________.
(a) Birds fixing a nest.
(b) The wet sky over the ocean.
(c) A woman cleaning house.
(d) A baseball game.
Short Answer Questions
1. "The Finn" from 1969 was a portrait of George Erikson whose daughter, ______________, Wyeth wanted to paint nude.
2. "Incoming Sea", painted in 1966, featured ___________ after the tide turns.
3. What is the person doing in the painting, "Distant Thunder"?
4. In "Tom and His Daughter" in 1959 how was Tom portrayed?
5. Whom did Wyeth have in mind when he painted "Slight Breeze"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it about Wyeth's "Rope and Chains" that juxtaposes innocence and brutality?
2. How did "The Trophy" show some of Karl Kuerner's hidden nature?
3. Why did Wyeth and Betsy keep the painting, "Room After Room" for themselves?
4. Why did U.S. President Dwight Eisenhower have Wyeth's painting, "Roasted Chestnuts" hanging in the White House for awhile?
5. What awkward encounter occurred prior to Wyeth's painting George Erikson in "The Finn" in 1969?
6. What is the secret behind the painting, "Cider Barrel"?
7. Why was Wyeth so taken by the sight of the leaves floating away in "Floating Leaves"?
8. What tone did Wyeth paint into "The Swinger" depicting Jimmy Lynch?
9. What was the subject matter of "Half Bushel" and what was Wyeth trying to represent with it?
10. What was Wyeth's father's concerns about Wyeth's "Edge of the Field" and what did a critic tell Wyeth's father about his son's work?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)