|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Andrew Wyeth grow up?
(a) Bennington, Vermont.
(b) Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania.
(c) Portland, Maine.
(d) Princeton, New Jersey.
2. Who did Wyeth know who was buried in the cemetery where the grave digger was doing his work?
(a) His father.
(b) His son.
(c) His wife.
(d) His mother-in-law.
3. What did Wyeth think was not necessary to add to a scene?
4. Who was Christina Olson?
(a) Wyeth's long-time subject.
(b) Wyeth's sister-in-law.
(c) Wyeth's first grade teacher.
(d) Wyeth's first wife.
5. Wyeth's reasons for starting a painting could be called _______________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Years after the painting of 1933 was completed, Wyeth sold it to buy __________________.
2. Who is the author of ANDREW WYETH: AUTOBIOGRAPHY?
3. "Before Picking" was a painting of ________________.
4. Which of the following is NOT included with the descriptions of the paintings in this book?
5. In 1951 Wyeth had an eight-hour operation on his _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the subject matter of the 1940 painting, "Road Cut" and how did his future wife Betsy react to it?
2. Who was James Loper and what is the scene in which he appears in "James Loper" painted in 1952?
3. How does Hoving describe Wyeth's work in terms of its romantic qualities?
4. Why was subject matter most important to Wyeth?
5. What does Thomas Hoving say is the common denominator for Wyeth the man and Wyeth the artist?
6. Why was "Spring Landscape at Kuerners" important in Wyeth's young life?
7. How did Wyeth unite the paintings "Before Picking" and "After Picking"?
8. How did Wyeth use light in his paintings?
9. Could Wyeth's style be narrowed down to any one technique?
10. According to Thomas Hoving, how does Wyeth show that he struggled uncomfortably with his art?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)