|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Wyeth think that light in a painting could do?
(a) Ruin it.
(b) Shape the meaning of a picture.
(c) Change the face of a portrait.
(d) Make a picture more saleable.
2. The grave digger in the painting in #44 lived in which state?
(a) New Jersey.
(b) New York.
3. How long did it take the author to get to know Andrew Wyeth as an artist?
(a) He never did get to know him as an artist.
(b) He is still trying to understand him as an artist.
(c) He loved his work from the moment he saw it.
(d) Longer than it took to know him as a person.
4. When did the idea for painting "Trodden Weed" occur to Wyeth?
(a) During a dream.
(b) During a walk around Chadds Ford.
(c) During the Fall harvest.
(d) After apple picking.
5. What did Wyeth often do with his paintings?
(a) He covered walls with them.
(b) He smashed them over chairs.
(c) He hid them.
(d) He burned them.
6. What is the name of the 1950 painting of a grave digger?
(a) The Sexton.
(b) The Grave Digger.
(c) The End.
(d) Grave Duty.
7. What did Wyeth think was not necessary to add to a scene?
8. In 1951 Wyeth had an eight-hour operation on his _______________.
9. The danger in Wyeth's style of painting was that _____________________.
(a) He was harassed by critics.
(b) It embarrassed his family.
(c) He never made much money.
(d) He was easily misunderstood.
10. In many ways, Wyeth's paintings were like _________________.
11. "Pennsylvania Landscape", painted in 1942, was Wyeth's attempt to show ______________________.
(a) Boys at play.
(b) Bucolic country life.
(c) All of Pennsylvania in one picture.
(d) The ravages of winter.
12. Wyeth completed the "Lobster Traps" painting in what was called his _______________ period.
(b) Purple bruise.
(c) Blue sky.
(d) Yellow sol.
13. What was most important to Wyeth as an artist?
(a) Subject matter.
14. What does "Spring Beauty" signify for Wyeth's work?
(a) He incorporated people into his paintings.
(b) He worked on the same vista in each season.
(c) He began to use watercolors.
(d) He moves closer to realism.
15. In the painting, "James Loper," Loper holds a horse harness belt and a _______________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was usually hidden in Wyeth's paintings?
2. How much did Wyeth receive for the painting in 1933?
3. What did Wyeth think that the item in "Toll Rope" represented?
4. When did Wyeth cultivate his independence?
5. What did the cooling shed in the painting, "Cooling Shed," remind Wyeth of?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)