|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Christmas Morning" in 1944 was Wyeth's first painting that concerned ________________.
2. Wyeth's style eschewed _____________.
3. In 1951 Wyeth had an eight-hour operation on his _______________.
4. Wyeth found pencil drawing to be very ________________.
5. When did Wyeth cultivate his independence?
(a) Not until his later life.
(b) In his mid-40s.
(c) About the age of 21.
(d) At an early age.
6. The author said that Wyeth was no _________________.
(c) Role model.
7. What did the author say about how Wyeth felt about his art?
(a) He reveled in it.
(b) He hated it.
(c) He struggled with it.
(d) He thought it as passable.
8. What did Wyeth think that light in a painting could do?
(a) Make a picture more saleable.
(b) Shape the meaning of a picture.
(c) Ruin it.
(d) Change the face of a portrait.
9. In 1933, Wyeth painted "Spring Landscape at _________________".
10. Which of the following did NOT describe an Andrew Wyeth painting?
11. Wyeth increasingly experimented with and re-conceptualized _________________.
(a) His use of light.
(c) Pencil sketches.
(d) The use of oils.
12. Years after the painting of 1933 was completed, Wyeth sold it to buy __________________.
(a) A house.
(b) A studio.
(c) A tractor.
(d) Airline tickets.
13. "Before Picking" was a painting of ________________.
14. In 1942, Wyeth painted "Winter Corn Field" which showcased his _____________________.
(a) Playful nature.
(b) Mastery of oils.
(c) Knowledge of cornfields and woods.
(d) Sense of compassion.
15. "Hoffman's Slough" in 1947 rose from an idea after seeing _________________ in Maine.
(a) A swamp.
(b) A lighthouse.
(c) A fishing boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the idea for painting "Trodden Weed" occur to Wyeth?
2. What did Wyeth often do with his paintings?
3. In the painting, "James Loper," Loper holds a horse harness belt and a _______________.
4. Where was the place in "Toll Rope" located?
5. The danger in Wyeth's style of painting was that _____________________.
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)