|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was James Loper in the painting, "James Loper", in 1952?
(a) Wyeth's stepson.
(b) Wyeth's barber.
(c) Wyeth's protege.
(d) Wyeth's boyhood friend.
2. "Road Cut" shows a road running through a valley in ___________________________.
(a) Lake City, Tennessee.
(b) Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania.
(c) Milledgeville, Georgia.
(d) Kennebunkport, Maine.
3. The painting, "Lobster Traps" was completed when Wyeth was what age?
4. Wyeth's reasons for starting a painting could be called _______________.
5. How much did Wyeth receive for the painting in 1933?
6. Who was the grave digger in the painting?
(a) Walter Morgan.
(b) Waino Mattson.
(c) William Myers.
(d) Wade Masterson.
7. The danger in Wyeth's style of painting was that _____________________.
(a) He was easily misunderstood.
(b) He was harassed by critics.
(c) He never made much money.
(d) It embarrassed his family.
8. What did Wyeth think that light in a painting could do?
(a) Shape the meaning of a picture.
(b) Make a picture more saleable.
(c) Change the face of a portrait.
(d) Ruin it.
9. When did the idea for painting "Trodden Weed" occur to Wyeth?
(a) During the Fall harvest.
(b) During a dream.
(c) During a walk around Chadds Ford.
(d) After apple picking.
10. "Toll Rope" in 1951 shows the inside of a _______________.
(b) School room.
11. What did the author say about how Wyeth felt about his art?
(a) He hated it.
(b) He reveled in it.
(c) He thought it as passable.
(d) He struggled with it.
12. In 1942, Wyeth painted "Winter Corn Field" which showcased his _____________________.
(a) Playful nature.
(b) Mastery of oils.
(c) Knowledge of cornfields and woods.
(d) Sense of compassion.
13. What did Wyeth enjoy in "Toll Rope"?
(a) The belfry.
(b) The lobster pots.
(c) The clean glasses.
(d) The worn boots.
14. How long did it take the author to get to know Andrew Wyeth as an artist?
(a) He is still trying to understand him as an artist.
(b) He never did get to know him as an artist.
(c) He loved his work from the moment he saw it.
(d) Longer than it took to know him as a person.
15. What does "Spring Beauty" signify for Wyeth's work?
(a) He moves closer to realism.
(b) He incorporated people into his paintings.
(c) He worked on the same vista in each season.
(d) He began to use watercolors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the 1950 painting of a grave digger?
2. What did the cooling shed in the painting, "Cooling Shed," remind Wyeth of?
3. What did the author say about getting to know Andrew Wyeth?
4. What united both Wyeth the man and Wyeth the artist?
5. What did Wyeth think that the item in "Toll Rope" represented?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)