|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Triumph and Tragedy.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Success is due to the first president, ________________, and the superintendent of the western division, Tom Scott, who brings Andrew Carnegie into the modern system of train control.
(a) J. Edgar Smith.
(b) J. Edgar Hoover.
(c) J. Edgar Thomson.
(d) J. Edgar Johnson.
2. Scott leaves Carnegie in charge when he does what?
(a) Takes a ten-day trip.
(b) Has mandatory surgery.
3. Tom Miller is a _________ man who forms joint ventures with Carnegie in several small investments. They form Freedom Iron Company of Lewiston Pennsylvania in 1861 that Carnegie restructures into Freedom Iron and Steel to retool for the Bessemer process in 1866.
4. Managerial skill level reached over ______________ years exceeds that of the prior five centuries.
5. He installs a blast furnace called________ in 1872 to produce 13.361 tons initially and eventually over 100,000 tons annually by maximizing output.
Short Answer Questions
1. Frick's chairmanship of the Carnegie Company marks a difficult period in its history starting with what strike in 1892 and a four year depression from 1893.
2. Captain Bill Jones claims success in managing labor by doing what?
3. Carnegie feels confident enough in 1870 to do what?
4. Carnegie forms an enterprise to manufacture Bessemer steel as he changes from ________________.
5. Railroad ______________ run the trains, maintain rolling stock and track, price and collect charges for service on passenger and freight trains running in both directions to meet demand.
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)