Chapter 1: "Fall 1952"
• NOTE: The following version of this book was used to create this Lesson Plan: Hosseini, Khaled. And the Mountains Echoed. Riverhead Books, 2013. Kindle Version.
• And the Mountains Echoed is a historical novel that is presented in nonlinear chorology from the perspectives of several characters.
• Chapter 1: “Fall 1952” comes from the first-person perspective of Saboor, a father who is relating a bedtime story to his children, Abdullah and Pari.
• Saboor warns his children that they must sleep well tonight because Saboor has a long journey to take with Pari the following day.
• Saboor’s story focuses on a poor farmer named Baba Ayub and is set in the days when divs and jinns (monsters and spirits) wandered the earth.
• Baba Ayub lives in poverty along with the other inhabitants of his village, Maidan Sabz.
• Baba Ayub loves his three-year-old son Qais even more dearly than his many other...
This section contains 5,210 words
(approx. 18 pages at 300 words per page)