|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what narrative point of view is "A Silvery Night" related?
2. What does the narrator describe the protagonist feeling when he saw his mother crying for his uncle and aunt in "And the Earth Did Not Devour Him"?
3. Where does the narrator say he prefers to stay rather than going to school in "It's That It Hurts"?
4. What does the narrator say Don Laito and Dona Bone were in "Hand in His Pocket"?
5. At what time does the narrator leave his home in "A Silvery Night"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the protagonist hears someone calling his name in "The Lost Year"?
2. When does the narrator say that the protagonist first felt anger in "And the Earth Did Not Devour Him"?
3. What does the protagonist hide from his mother in "What His Mother Never Knew..."?
4. Why does the "wetback" start coming to see Dona Bone in "Hand in His Pocket"?
5. How does the protagonist respond to his mother's prayers in "And the Earth Did Not Devour Him"?
6. How is the narrator coerced into keeping their secret in "Hand in His Pocket"?
7. Why has the mother gone to see the fortune teller in "She Had Fallen Asleep Right Away..."?
8. Why does the narrator stop eating sweet breads in "Hand in His Pocket"?
9. What is a "vignette" and how would you describe the vignettes in And the Earth Did Not Devour Him?
10. What becomes of the farmer after he shoots the boy in "The Children Couldn't Wait"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the protagonist of "First Communion" affected by what he sees in the window of the cleaners? How does this reaction reflect upon his actions as the story goes on? What do you think this implies about the character?
Essay Topic 2
What does the grandfather ask his grandson in "A Stroke Left the Grandfather Paralyzed..."? What is the grandson's response? What does the grandson come to realize after time has passed?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the characters of Don Laito and Dona Bone in "Hand in His Pocket." How are these characters perceived by the community? What observations does the narrator make about these characters? Would you consider these characters protagonists or antagonists? Why?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)