|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Don Laito and Dona Bone try to make him steal when he was living with them in "Hand in His Pocket"?
2. What is printed on the arch over the gate to the cemetery described by the narrator in "It's That It Hurts"?
3. Whose eyes does the mother ask to be covered in "A Prayer"?
4. What does the narrator describe the cemetery as looking like in "It's That It Hurts"?
5. At what shrines does the mother claim she has made promises in "A Prayer"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a "vignette" and how would you describe the vignettes in And the Earth Did Not Devour Him?
2. When does the narrator say that the protagonist first felt anger in "And the Earth Did Not Devour Him"?
3. Describe the narrative perspective of "The Lost Year." Why do you think this chapter is related in this way?
4. How does the protagonist respond to his mother's prayers in "And the Earth Did Not Devour Him"?
5. What happens when the protagonist hears someone calling his name in "The Lost Year"?
6. Why does the "wetback" start coming to see Dona Bone in "Hand in His Pocket"?
7. How has the protagonist's father gotten ill in "And the Earth Did Not Devour Him"? What symptoms does he exhibit?
8. What is the boy's plan for getting water from the tank unnoticed in "The Children Couldn't Wait"?
9. What does the protagonist hide from his mother in "What His Mother Never Knew..."?
10. Why does the protagonist sneak out of his home in "A Silvery Night"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's inclusion of "vignettes" throughout And the Earth Did Not Devour Him. What is illustrated through these vignettes? How do these vignettes shape the mood and tone of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the protagonist as he is observed in "Under the House." How old do you perceive the character as being at this point in the novel? What does the mother remark about him? What does he remark about himself?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the minister come talk to the laborers in "One Afternoon a Minister..."? What does he promise them? Why do the laborers never receive the promise made by the minister?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)