|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what narrative point of view is "A Silvery Night" related?
2. Why does the narrator say he did not sleep the first night at Don Laito and Dona Bone's home in "Hand in His Pocket"?
3. Where have the protagonist's aunt and uncle been sent in "And the Earth Did Not Devour Him"?
4. The mother claims her son wears a medallion of what saint in "A Prayer"?
5. From what narrative point of view is "It's That It Hurts" related?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the protagonist hide from his mother in "What His Mother Never Knew..."?
2. How does the narrator describe his treatment by Dona Bone and Don Laito when he first began staying with them in "Hand in His Pocket"?
3. What does the minister promise to the workers in "One Afternoon a Minister..."?
4. How does the narrator describe his humiliation upon arriving at the new school in "It's That It Hurts"?
5. To whom does the woman pray in "A Prayer"? Why?
6. Why has the mother gone to see the fortune teller in "She Had Fallen Asleep Right Away..."?
7. Describe the narrative perspective of "The Lost Year." Why do you think this chapter is related in this way?
8. How is the narrator coerced into keeping their secret in "Hand in His Pocket"?
9. Why has the narrator been expelled from school in "It's That It Hurts"?
10. Why does the protagonist sneak out of his home in "A Silvery Night"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism seen in "The Lost Year" and "What His Mother Never Knew..." How does the symbolism in these excerpts help to illustrate the characters in the novel? What imagery is used in these sections?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the different stories, outlooks, and thoughts that are revealed in "When We Arrive." How does the author differentiate between the different characters in this story? What are the concerns of the laborers and the truck driver in the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the minister come talk to the laborers in "One Afternoon a Minister..."? What does he promise them? Why do the laborers never receive the promise made by the minister?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)