|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word resounds to the protagonist as he carries his little brother to the house after he collapsed in the fields in "And the Earth Did Not Devour Him"?
2. From what narrative perspective is "The Lost Year" related?
3. How many Sundays does the person praying say they have previously come to pray in "A Prayer"?
4. In describing the cemetery in "It's That It Hurts," the narrator notes that it looks nothing like the one where?
5. What does the narrator describe the teacher using to check for lice in "It's That It Hurts"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has the narrator been expelled from school in "It's That It Hurts"?
2. Why do the workers not receive what the minister promised them in "One Afternoon a Minister..."?
3. What does the protagonist hide from his mother in "What His Mother Never Knew..."?
4. How is the narrator coerced into keeping their secret in "Hand in His Pocket"?
5. Why does the protagonist sneak out of his home in "A Silvery Night"?
6. Why does the unnamed character say he does not plan to go to Utah in "Comadre, Do You All Plan to Go to Utah?"
7. How has the protagonist's father gotten ill in "And the Earth Did Not Devour Him"? What symptoms does he exhibit?
8. What does the grandson say he wants most in life in "A Stroke Left the Grandfather Paralyzed..."? How does the grandfather respond?
9. What does the woman present as a trade in "A Prayer"?
10. What is a "vignette" and how would you describe the vignettes in And the Earth Did Not Devour Him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is swindled by the portrait dealer in "The Portrait"? Why is this so concerning for this character? How does he go about achieving retribution for his having been swindled?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Dona Maria become disoriented when she goes shopping in "The Night Before Christmas"? How does she respond to the situation? What is the outcome of her actions?
Essay Topic 3
What happens to the owner of the farm in "The Children Couldn't Wait"? Why does he come to this transition? What is remarked about the farmer later in the novel?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)