|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose eyes does the mother ask to be covered in "A Prayer"?
2. Where is the water tank that the migrant workers sneak water from in "The Children Couldn't Wait"?
3. How long ago was it when a badger got into a neighbor's home in "A Silvery Night"?
4. Why does the boss not immediately stop the workers from taking water from the tank when he catches on to their method in "The Children Couldn't Wait"?
5. What has are the repercussions for the protagonist for having hit a boy in "It's That It Hurts"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What becomes of the farmer after he shoots the boy in "The Children Couldn't Wait"?
2. What is a "vignette" and how would you describe the vignettes in And the Earth Did Not Devour Him?
3. Why does the "wetback" start coming to see Dona Bone in "Hand in His Pocket"?
4. What does the narrator's father aspire for the narrator to be when he grows up in "It's That It Hurts"? Why?
5. When does the narrator say that the protagonist first felt anger in "And the Earth Did Not Devour Him"?
6. Why does the protagonist sneak out of his home in "A Silvery Night"?
7. What does the protagonist hide from his mother in "What His Mother Never Knew..."?
8. What happens when the protagonist goes to the knoll in "A Silvery Night"?
9. What happens when the protagonist hears someone calling his name in "The Lost Year"?
10. Why does the farmer hold off from firing the laborers for taking water in "The Children Couldn't Wait"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What has happened to the narrator's father and brother in "And the Earth Did Not Devour Him"? Why? Why does the narrator feel responsible? What leads to the recovery of the father and brother?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the main protagonist in And the Earth Did Not Devour Him. What characteristics does he exhibit? What are his actions in the story? How does the protagonist change from the beginning of the novel to the end?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's inclusion of "vignettes" throughout And the Earth Did Not Devour Him. What is illustrated through these vignettes? How do these vignettes shape the mood and tone of the novel?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)