|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the boss not like the idea of the migrant workers taking time to drink from the water tank in "The Children Couldn't Wait"?
(a) Because the cattle need the water.
(b) Because he needs the water for his crops.
(c) Because they are not on contract.
(d) Because the water is unsanitary.
2. How does the narrator of "The Lost Year" say it always begins for the central figure?
(a) With a dream.
(b) With the wind.
(c) With a song.
(d) With a shadow.
3. The does the narrator say the central figure in "The Lost Year" does when his mind goes blank?
(a) He sings a tune.
(b) He goes to sleep.
(c) He calls his father.
(d) He writes poetry.
4. Whose eyes does the mother ask to be covered in "A Prayer"?
(a) The Germans, Russians, and Chinese.
(b) The Americans and the immigration board.
(c) The Communists, Koreans, and Chinese.
(d) The Confederates.
5. What does the protagonist's mother in "What His Mother Never Knew..." believe happens to the water?
(a) Her son drinks it.
(b) The spirits drink it.
(c) It evaporates.
(d) The cat drinks it.
6. What present does the narrator say Don Laito and Dona Bone brought him at the farm after his stay with them in "Hand in His Pocket"?
(a) A bracelet.
(b) A compass.
(c) A ring.
(d) A watch.
7. Where does the narrator say he prefers to stay rather than going to school in "It's That It Hurts"?
(a) The church.
(b) His aunt's house.
(c) The ranch.
(d) The general store.
8. Why is the narrator upset that Don Laito and Dona Bone made him work in the yard?
(a) His brother was allowed to work in the house.
(b) The paid him only 50 cents per day.
(c) It was too hot outside.
(d) His dad had payed his board.
9. Until how late do the workers in the fields try to stay working until in "And the Earth Did Not Devour Him"?
10. What does the narrator say he never saw Don Laito or Dona Bone doing in "Hand in His Pocket"?
11. When the narrator left the home of Don Laito and Dona Bone with his family, they told him not to say anything or they would do what in "Hand in His Pocket"?
(a) Kill his siblings.
(b) Kill his parents.
(c) Kill him.
(d) Call the police.
12. What does the narrator say was about to start in "It Was One Hour Before..."?
(a) The wedding.
(b) The boxing match.
(c) The church services.
(d) The afternoon movie.
13. Why does the boss not immediately stop the workers from taking water from the tank when he catches on to their method in "The Children Couldn't Wait"?
(a) Because he wants the workers to take the water.
(b) So he can get away with not paying them after the work is done.
(c) So he can kill the workers when the right time comes.
(d) So he can arrest the workers for theft.
14. What does the narrator describe the cemetery as looking like in "It's That It Hurts"?
(a) A beet field.
(b) A golf course.
(c) A dust field.
(d) A desert.
15. What does the person praying ask to protect her son from in "A Prayer"?
(c) The Germans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the woman imply the dump man likes to keep in "It's That It Hurts"?
2. Who does the central figure of "The Lost Year" realize is calling his name?
3. What does the narrator describe the protagonist feeling when he saw his mother crying for his uncle and aunt in "And the Earth Did Not Devour Him"?
4. Why does the protagonist's mother in "What His Mother Never Knew..." leave water in his room?
5. How many different sounds does the narrator say he heard the last time he lay in the grass at the cemetery in "It's That It Hurts"?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)