|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the chapter titled "1895-1896," who agrees to help the club realize its dream for the library it founded?
2. What is Belinda's nickname?
3. Who arranges for the older members of the club to have transportation to the events in the chapter titled "1929"?
4. In "1886," who dies in childbirth?
5. Who begins stopping by Anne's house after school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tucker realize about his own parents' relationship and their divorce when he becomes an adult?
2. What is Johnny's response when Julia tells him she wants a divorce?
3. After Sally's death, who moves in with Anne and why?
4. What does Anne ask her servant to help do that causes Tucker to fuss? How does Anne respond to Tucker?
5. In the chapter titled "1892," what does Sheldon fear regarding his youngest child?
6. Why, upon her death, does Eliza leave her portion of the family home to Ruhamah?
7. Explain the situation that leads to Ludwig's death.
8. Explain the circumstances that lead to John's death. How does he die?
9. Why doesn't Julia give an immediate response to Johnny's marriage proposal?
10. At first, Anne suspected Jessamine's son was fathered by John. Then she realized the date of John's trip and the birth of Jessamine's son were not connected. What does Anne learn when Jessamine moves to Waynesboro?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and discuss three points of foreshadowing from the novel. Did the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not? Define foreshadowing in your essay as well.
Essay Topic 2
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevailed in this novel? Explain the conflict in detail, using both the definition and examples from ...and Ladies of the Club.
Essay Topic 3
What is the primary theme of ...and Ladies of the Club? How does the author present this theme? How does the theme develop throughout the novel?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)