|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the chapter titled "1886-1887," about whom is the wife of the Baptist minister concerned?
2. How old if young Ludwig when he falls in love with Melissa Patton?
3. Who gets sent home from college for fighting in the chapter titled "1898"?
4. What is Sally's crippling disease near the end of the book?
5. Who begins stopping by Anne's house after school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Johnny and John split their medical cases?
2. How does Amanda feel when Arianna runs away from home?
3. How does Julia use her baby to refuse social dictates?
4. Christina met her husband while acting in a play. How does Christina feel about plays when Arianna runs away?
5. What does Anne ask her servant to help do that causes Tucker to fuss? How does Anne respond to Tucker?
6. What is Johnny's response when Julia tells him she wants a divorce?
7. Who does Sally, on her deathbed, send for and why?
8. How does Julia feel during her pregnancy, and what choice does she make after giving birth?
9. Explain the situation that drives Christina's son Blair away from Waynesboro.
10. Why does Anne cut herself off from all but superficial friendships, and when does she change that attitude?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between tone and mood? What was the tone of this novel? What was the mood of it? Was it consistent throughout, or did it vary? Define the terms tone and mood and use examples from the text to support your thoughts.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Anne and Sally as major characters in ...and Ladies of the Club.
Essay Topic 3
Identify and discuss three points of foreshadowing from the novel. Did the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not? Define foreshadowing in your essay as well.
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)