|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the chapter titled "1885-1886" where does Eliza go to work?
2. Who begins stopping by Anne's house after school?
3. What war was the United States fighting in "1898"?
4. In the chapter titled "1895-1896," which club member withdraws from most of her friends?
5. In "1914-1916," what does Jennifer say she is going to do to work in the war effort in Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tucker realize about his own parents' relationship and their divorce when he becomes an adult?
2. How does Sally deal with becoming more crippled with arthritis?
3. How does Amanda feel when Arianna runs away from home?
4. At first, Anne suspected Jessamine's son was fathered by John. Then she realized the date of John's trip and the birth of Jessamine's son were not connected. What does Anne learn when Jessamine moves to Waynesboro?
5. After the death of her husband, what are Mrs. Ballard's thoughts on mourning?
6. What advice does Anne give Tucker when he tells her that he and Jennifer plan to be married? What does she base her advice on?
7. In the chapter titled "1892," what does Sheldon fear regarding his youngest child?
8. When Johnny expresses interest in becoming a doctor like his father, what does John tell him?
9. Explain the situation that leads to Ludwig's death.
10. How does Julia use her baby to refuse social dictates?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define falling action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the falling action in this book. How did it flow? What role did the falling action have in the story, and how did it work?
Essay Topic 2
Write a character description of Julia. Was she a major character or minor one? Support your answer with specific evidence form the story and be sure to include definitions of major and minor character.
Essay Topic 3
What is the primary theme of ...and Ladies of the Club? How does the author present this theme? How does the theme develop throughout the novel?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)