|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the date of the first club meeting?
2. From where does the new lawyer in "1872" originate?
3. To whom does Kate leave her house in her suicide note?
4. In the chapter "1870," who is besotted?
5. Who plans to teach in Waynesboro to repay her college debt?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thomasina begin dating her boyfriend and future husband?
2. What discovery makes Anne and Sally begin to like Rhoda McKinney?
3. What is Ludwig's concern when hiring an overseer of the mill? Why does he hire one despite his concern?
4. Discuss the living arrangements of the Lowreys, the Rauchs, and Dr. Blair once the Waynesboro college is sold.
5. What does John tell Anne about Mr. McCune's delay in contacting a doctor for his wife?
6. Who discovers Miss Pinney is dead? Where is she found?
7. Who starts the Waynesboro Women's Club, and whom do they recruit to join?
8. Why do several mothers pull their children out of Miss Pinney's school? How does the club help?
9. Discuss John's decision regarding treatment of Zack's injury.
10. What angers Amanda about Mr. McCune? Explain the situation.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between tone and mood? What was the tone of this novel? What was the mood of it? Was it consistent throughout, or did it vary? Define the terms tone and mood and use examples from the text to support your thoughts.
Essay Topic 2
Name and discuss three historical events or actual locations that exist in real life and were mentioned in the book. What role does each event play in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character description of Julia. Was she a major character or minor one? Support your answer with specific evidence form the story and be sure to include definitions of major and minor character.
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)