|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children does the new lawyer in "1872" have?
2. In "1872," what is the name of the new minister's wife?
3. Who begins to hang out with the new girl Ellen in the chapter called "1870"?
4. Where is Kate found hanging?
5. Where does Barbara Bodien work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Amanda's mother respond when Amanda offers to take care of her?
2. What angers Amanda about Mr. McCune? Explain the situation.
3. Where does the club operate its library from while it begins raising funds? How is the library staffed?
4. What happens when a doctor finally examines Mrs. McCune?
5. What is Ludwig's concern when hiring an overseer of the mill? Why does he hire one despite his concern?
6. How do some of the residents feel about the play Sally arranges for her Christmas party?
7. What does John tell Anne about Mr. McCune's delay in contacting a doctor for his wife?
8. Who discovers Miss Pinney is dead? Where is she found?
9. Discuss John's decision regarding treatment of Zack's injury.
10. Why does Anne encourage John to go on a trip with Ludwig? Whom does he meet on the trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's writing experience and his successes of this book and others.
Essay Topic 2
Irony is the contrast between what is expected and what actually happens. The three types of irony are verbal, situational, and dramatic. Identify and discuss two examples of irony in the book. Which type of irony is it? What is expected, and what actually occurs with your examples?
Essay Topic 3
What interests and experiences of the author's own life might be drawn upon for inspiration in ...and Ladies of the Club? Explain your answers, giving an overview of the author's life.
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)