|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ultimately begins caring for the pregnant, ill woman in "1877"?
2. In "1877," what is Anne going to pick up in the country?
3. What does "besotted" mean?
4. In the chapter "1870," who is annoyed by the one who is besotted?
5. Who suffers greatly from hay fever and asthma?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the first chapter titled "1868," whom do Sally and Anne visit to invite into the club? Why do those invited choose to accept the invitation?
2. Discuss John's decision regarding treatment of Zack's injury.
3. Explain the circumstances in which Louisa, her husband, and daughter return to Waynesboro. Where had they been?
4. What does John tell Anne about Mr. McCune's delay in contacting a doctor for his wife?
5. Discuss the situation around Kate's death in the chapter titled "1870."
6. What is Ludwig's concern when hiring an overseer of the mill? Why does he hire one despite his concern?
7. Why do several mothers pull their children out of Miss Pinney's school? How does the club help?
8. Which charter member has a family member who opposes her membership in the club? Who opposes and what is the complaint?
9. Where and when is the first meeting of the club held?
10. Discuss the living arrangements of the Lowreys, the Rauchs, and Dr. Blair once the Waynesboro college is sold.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define exposition and discuss the exposition of this novel. What does the reader learn from the exposition in ...and Ladies of the Club? Is the information consistent throughout the book, or does it change? Explain your answer and reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
What is the primary theme of ...and Ladies of the Club? How does the author present this theme? How does the theme develop throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Name and discuss three historical events or actual locations that exist in real life and were mentioned in the book. What role does each event play in the book?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)