|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "1875-1876," who spurs the purchase of the Waynesboro college?
2. Who is called for a second opinion regarding the pregnant, ill woman in "1877''?
3. Which of McCune's children is angry that he remarries?
4. How does the woman who had a miscarriage in "1877" feel?
5. Who suffers greatly from hay fever and asthma?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who starts the Waynesboro Women's Club, and whom do they recruit to join?
2. Why won't Mr. McCune call John to check on his ill wife?
3. Who was the valedictorian of the college, and what is the topic of the valedictorian's speech?
4. Where does the club operate its library from while it begins raising funds? How is the library staffed?
5. Whose cape does Anne borrow, and what secret does it hold?
6. How does Thomasina begin dating her boyfriend and future husband?
7. What marital advice does Anne's dying father give to her?
8. What is Miss Pinney's habit, and how does the club try to regulate it?
9. Discuss the situation around Kate's death in the chapter titled "1870."
10. What is Ludwig's concern when hiring an overseer of the mill? Why does he hire one despite his concern?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the main characters of this book. Who was the protagonist, and what separates that character from the other main characters?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and discuss three points of foreshadowing from the novel. Did the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not? Define foreshadowing in your essay as well.
Essay Topic 3
What does the club come to symbolize to Sally and many other women? Be sure to include a definition of symbolism in your essay.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)