|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Kitty?
2. How many children does Mr. McCune have?
3. Who is elected to serve as the club's first corresponding secretary and treasurer?
4. In "1877," who is pregnant and near death?
5. Why does the college open its entire lawn for the 1868 graduation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do some of the residents feel about the play Sally arranges for her Christmas party?
2. What angers Amanda about Mr. McCune? Explain the situation.
3. Why do several mothers pull their children out of Miss Pinney's school? How does the club help?
4. Where does the club operate its library from while it begins raising funds? How is the library staffed?
5. Whose cape does Anne borrow, and what secret does it hold?
6. Which charter member has a family member who opposes her membership in the club? Who opposes and what is the complaint?
7. Who discovers Miss Pinney is dead? Where is she found?
8. What is the situation that leads to Eliza working at her father's law office?
9. Who was the valedictorian of the college, and what is the topic of the valedictorian's speech?
10. Why does Anne encourage John to go on a trip with Ludwig? Whom does he meet on the trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a genre? Discuss both the genre and sub-genre categories that best describe ...and Ladies of the Club. Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Name and discuss three historical events or actual locations that exist in real life and were mentioned in the book. What role does each event play in the book?
Essay Topic 3
What does the club come to symbolize to Sally and many other women? Be sure to include a definition of symbolism in your essay.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)