|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the woman who had a miscarriage in "1877" feel?
(a) Sad but relieved.
(b) Upset that she got "fat for no reason."
(d) Sad, angry, and confused.
2. With whom does McCune's angry child spend a lot of time?
3. What warning is the couple who had a miscarriage in "1877" given?
(a) Try again immediately.
(b) Wait a while before trying again.
(c) Wait until the new moon to try again.
(d) Never try again.
4. In "1877," who is pregnant and near death?
(a) Mrs. Reid.
(b) Mrs. Gordon.
(c) Mrs. McCune.
(d) Mrs. Lowrey.
5. Who is elected to serve as the club's first corresponding secretary and treasurer?
(a) Rebecca Lowrey.
(b) Sally Cochran.
(c) Amanda Reid.
(d) Eliza Ballard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the college where most of the characters either attend or teach?
2. Whose place does Esther Beattie take in the club?
3. In the chapter "1870," who is besotted?
4. Whom does Mr. McCune invite on a date?
5. In "1877," which character is told to start saving for her own old age?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Anne encourage John to go on a trip with Ludwig? Whom does he meet on the trip?
2. What is the situation that leads to Eliza working at her father's law office?
3. Who discovers Miss Pinney is dead? Where is she found?
4. Why do several mothers pull their children out of Miss Pinney's school? How does the club help?
5. Where does Amanda attend college, and how does she plan to pay for her degree?
6. While the club is not meant to be controversial, what issue do some of the members take on in "1873-1874?" What happens to the women?
7. How do some of the residents feel about the play Sally arranges for her Christmas party?
8. What discovery makes Anne and Sally begin to like Rhoda McKinney?
9. What is ironic about John telling Anne that the family needs her "undivided attention"?
10. What does John tell Anne about Mr. McCune's delay in contacting a doctor for his wife?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)