|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Nancy returned to school after the elderly couple was gone, how did Nancy react?
2. What kind of car did Nancy's mom let her use when she came home from college?
3. How old was Nancy when she graduated from high school?
4. What did Deborah do to calm Nancy when she had nightmares?
5. Where did Nancy briefly attend college?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Spungens want Suzy and Nancy to share a room and what happened?
2. Right before Nancy started school, what did her parents and doctors believe Nancy needed in order to help her behavior? Why were the Spungens so willing to accept this as truth?
3. What medical issues did Nancy face when she was first born?
4. How did Dr. Cott disappoint Nancy and Deborah?
5. Why was Nancy arrested in Colorado, and how did her parents rescue her?
6. How did Deborah Spungen's grief prompt her to write this book?
7. What did David and Suzy reveal to the parents about their own drug use?
8. How did Nancy react when her sister was born?
9. How did Nancy's time at the Lakeside Campus of the Darlington school system change her behavior?
10. How did Deborah's mother feel about her pregnancy with Nancy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that examines Sid's and Nancy's relationship. How did their relationship change from when they first met until Nancy's death? How did they treat each other? Why did Nancy stay in the relationship after it became abusive? What role did drugs play in their relationship? What attracted Nancy to Sid and vice-versa?
Essay Topic 2
This book is a biography. How would Nancy change her story if she told it? Choose one chapter from the book. Rewrite it as though it were an autobiography. Your response should include all the events, people, and places Deborah describes in the chapter but from Nancy's point of view. Keep in mind Nancy's personality, thoughts about people and places, and how her point of view is different from her mother's.
Essay Topic 3
How did Nancy's behavior affect her family? In your response, explain the following:
1) Nancy's relationship with her parents (separately and together)
2) Influences and relationship with her siblings
3) Expense of treatments, special schools, etc
4) Ways that Nancy's behavior prevented the family from living a "normal" life.
This section contains 1,258 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)