|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What high school event did Nancy attend wearing a new dress?
2. How many weeks early was Nancy's birth?
3. Why was Nancy afraid to start first grade?
4. What medication did Nancy steal from her mother in an attempt to overdose?
5. What ward was Nancy placed in when she was admitted to the psychiatric hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Nancy's relationship with Jeff improve her behavior?
2. What did David and Suzy reveal to the parents about their own drug use?
3. Right before Nancy started school, what did her parents and doctors believe Nancy needed in order to help her behavior? Why were the Spungens so willing to accept this as truth?
4. How did Deborah's mother feel about her pregnancy with Nancy?
5. What was the Darlington Institute?
6. Why did Nancy get angry with her mother when she bought a box of Saran Wrap? What did she do in response?
7. How did Nancy react when her sister was born?
8. Where was Nancy placed after she attacked her mother with a hammer, and how did the Spungens feel about her placement?
9. What did Nancy do in New York to defy her parents, and how did they react?
10. Why did Deborah feel so bonded to Nancy when she was first born?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that examines how Frank and Nancy Spungen were often blamed for Nancy's troubles. In your response, answer the following questions:
1) How did the medical community blame the Spungens? Cite specific examples.
2) How did the school system blame the Spungens? Cite specific examples.
3) How did the legal system, both before and after Nancy's death, blame the Spungens? Cite specific examples.
4) In what ways did the Spungens blame themselves for Nancy's troubles?
Essay Topic 2
Students will examine Nancy Spungen's relationship with drugs. In your response, be sure to address the following points:
1) Nancy's early experience with drugs prescribed by doctors, even in her infancy.
2) Deborah's dependency on the medical community and drugs to alleviate Nancy's problem.
3) Nancy's and Sid's drug dependencies.
4) The role drugs played in the music scene that Nancy admired.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that explores the relationship between Deborah Spungen and her daughter Nancy. How did Nancy's early medical history bond mother and daughter? Why did Deborah feel responsible for Nancy's issues? In what ways did Deborah support her daughter? Did Deborah enable Nancy's destructive behavior? What was their relationship like toward the end of Nancy's life? How did Nancy continue to confide in her mother? What responsibilities did Deborah feel towards her daughter?
This section contains 1,240 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)