|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Nancy have to leave college after just a few months?
2. What troubles did Nancy have when she began school?
3. What would Nancy do when she woke suddenly after falling asleep in the car?
4. What medication did Nancy's psychiatrist prescribe her after she attacked her mother?
5. Why was Nancy arrested for a second time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Deborah upset with Nancy's treatment at the Lakeside Campus?
2. How did the media and press affect Deborah's grief?
3. What happened when Nancy took the medication Atarax?
4. Why was Nancy arrested in Colorado, and how did her parents rescue her?
5. How did Deborah Spungen's grief prompt her to write this book?
6. Describe Nancy's temper tantrums as a toddler and how people handled them differently.
7. What did Nancy do in New York to defy her parents, and how did they react?
8. Where was Nancy placed after she attacked her mother with a hammer, and how did the Spungens feel about her placement?
9. How did Nancy's relationship with Jeff improve her behavior?
10. How did Nancy react when her sister was born?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that describes how the Spungens were treated by people after Nancy's murder. In your response, be sure to explain the roles of the police, coroner, district attorney, and the press. How was this treatment a pattern in the Spungens' constant search to do right by their daughter? How have their reactions to this treatment changed since Nancy's birth?
Essay Topic 2
This book is a biography. How would Nancy change her story if she told it? Choose one chapter from the book. Rewrite it as though it were an autobiography. Your response should include all the events, people, and places Deborah describes in the chapter but from Nancy's point of view. Keep in mind Nancy's personality, thoughts about people and places, and how her point of view is different from her mother's.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that examines how Frank and Nancy Spungen were often blamed for Nancy's troubles. In your response, answer the following questions:
1) How did the medical community blame the Spungens? Cite specific examples.
2) How did the school system blame the Spungens? Cite specific examples.
3) How did the legal system, both before and after Nancy's death, blame the Spungens? Cite specific examples.
4) In what ways did the Spungens blame themselves for Nancy's troubles?
This section contains 1,315 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)