|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What musical did the Spungens see that inspired Nancy's love of rock and roll?
2. What was the name of Nancy's first boyfriend?
3. Where was the musical "Hair" playing in New York?
4. How many weeks early was Nancy's birth?
5. Why did Nancy leave the first school she attended in the Darlington school system?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Nancy get angry with her mother when she bought a box of Saran Wrap? What did she do in response?
2. What did Nancy declare to her parents in Chapter 12 about her death?
3. What was Nancy's final year at Lakeside like?
4. How did Deborah Spungen's grief prompt her to write this book?
5. What did Dr. Blake's evaluation of Nancy say was the root of her problems? How did this make the Spungens feel?
6. What did Deborah do for work when David started nursery school?
7. How did Nancy's relationship with Jeff improve her behavior?
8. What was the Darlington Institute?
9. Why did Deborah feel so bonded to Nancy when she was first born?
10. How did doctors respond to Deborah when she voiced concern over Nancy's medical issues as an infant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that explores the relationship between Deborah Spungen and her daughter Nancy. How did Nancy's early medical history bond mother and daughter? Why did Deborah feel responsible for Nancy's issues? In what ways did Deborah support her daughter? Did Deborah enable Nancy's destructive behavior? What was their relationship like toward the end of Nancy's life? How did Nancy continue to confide in her mother? What responsibilities did Deborah feel towards her daughter?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that explores the relationship between Deborah Spungen and Sid Vicious after Nancy's death. Why did Sid continue communicating with Deborah? What were his motives? How did Deborah react to Sid's communication? Was this relationship harmful or hurtful to both Deborah and Sid? What did Deborah come to understand about Sid, Nancy, and the murder after communicating with Sid?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the title of this book? In your essay, explain how Deborah got to know the line, "And I don't want to live this life." What does this quote mean? How is it significant to the life story of Nancy Spungen? Who said it? Why was it important to Deborah? Provide textual evidence from the book that supports this as an appropriate title for Nancy's life story.
This section contains 1,463 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)