|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Nancy attack her mother with a hammer?
2. Who lived around the corner from Nancy's first pediatrician?
3. Whose office did Nancy destroy in a fit of rage?
4. What pet did Nancy try to throw down the stairs?
5. Why was Nancy afraid to start first grade?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did doctors respond to Deborah when she voiced concern over Nancy's medical issues as an infant?
2. How was Nancy's behavior after the birth of her brother different than her actions after her sister was born? What does this suggest about her behavior?
3. How did Deborah's mother feel about her pregnancy with Nancy?
4. What was Nancy's relationship like with the Bebees, and how did she react when they were no longer with her?
5. What was Nancy's final year at Lakeside like?
6. What did the neurologist find when he tested Nancy at her allergist's recommendation?
7. How did Nancy's relationship with Jeff improve her behavior?
8. What did Nancy do in New York to defy her parents, and how did they react?
9. Where was Nancy placed after she attacked her mother with a hammer, and how did the Spungens feel about her placement?
10. Describe Nancy's temper tantrums as a toddler and how people handled them differently.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that explores the relationship between Deborah Spungen and Sid Vicious after Nancy's death. Why did Sid continue communicating with Deborah? What were his motives? How did Deborah react to Sid's communication? Was this relationship harmful or hurtful to both Deborah and Sid? What did Deborah come to understand about Sid, Nancy, and the murder after communicating with Sid?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that examines how Frank and Nancy Spungen were often blamed for Nancy's troubles. In your response, answer the following questions:
1) How did the medical community blame the Spungens? Cite specific examples.
2) How did the school system blame the Spungens? Cite specific examples.
3) How did the legal system, both before and after Nancy's death, blame the Spungens? Cite specific examples.
4) In what ways did the Spungens blame themselves for Nancy's troubles?
Essay Topic 3
What did Deborah ultimately come to understand about Nancy's death? In your response, answer the following questions:
1) What role did Deborah assume Sid had in Nancy's murder?
2) What evidence supported Deborah's assumptions about Sid's involvement (use text evidence about Nancy and Sid's relationship)
3) How and why did her feelings about Sid's involvement change over time?
4) What evidence did Deborah provide (throughout the book) that supports Sid's claims that Nancy wanted to die?
This section contains 1,268 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)