|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Deborah take Nancy when she hyperventilated after getting frustrated when making a bracelet?
2. How did Deborah describe Nancy's state of mind when she tried to throw a pet down the stairs?
3. Where did Nancy briefly attend college?
4. Which of the following musical group's albums did Nancy not purchase?
5. How did Nancy get home when she ran away from the residential facility?
Short Essay Questions
1. What medical issues did Nancy face when she was first born?
2. How did Nancy react when her sister was born?
3. How did Deborah Spungen's grief prompt her to write this book?
4. What was Nancy's relationship like with the Bebees, and how did she react when they were no longer with her?
5. How did Dr. Cott disappoint Nancy and Deborah?
6. Why did the Spungens want Suzy and Nancy to share a room and what happened?
7. In what ways did Nancy control the house as a small child?
8. Why did Nancy get angry with her mother when she bought a box of Saran Wrap? What did she do in response?
9. What did Nancy do in New York to defy her parents, and how did they react?
10. How did doctors respond to Deborah when she voiced concern over Nancy's medical issues as an infant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were Deborah Spungen's motivations for writing this book? In your essay, answer the following questions:
1) What did Deborah want people to know about Nancy?
2) How did the media attention stemming from Nancy's death affect Deborah's decision?
3) What lessons can the reader learn from the Spungens' experiences (trying to get Nancy the help she needed, drugs, etc)?
4) How did writing this book help Deborah Spungen come to terms with Nancy's life and death?
Essay Topic 2
How did Nancy's behavior affect her family? In your response, explain the following:
1) Nancy's relationship with her parents (separately and together)
2) Influences and relationship with her siblings
3) Expense of treatments, special schools, etc
4) Ways that Nancy's behavior prevented the family from living a "normal" life.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that explores the Spungens' involvement with the Parents of Murdered Children group. In your essay, be sure to answer the following questions:
1) How did the POMC help Frank and Deborah grieve?
2) Why did Deborah want to help other families?
3) How did the POMC support families of murdered children?
This section contains 1,384 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)