|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Nancy do to the telephone man?
2. What job did Deborah get when her son was in nursery school?
3. Why did Dr. Cott not treat Nancy?
4. Why did Nancy get frustrated when making a bead bracelet with girls from the neighborhood?
5. What advice did Mrs.Taylor give Deborah to help her feel better about a fussy baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did David and Suzy reveal to the parents about their own drug use?
2. How was Nancy's behavior after the birth of her brother different than her actions after her sister was born? What does this suggest about her behavior?
3. Where was Nancy placed after she attacked her mother with a hammer, and how did the Spungens feel about her placement?
4. How did Nancy's time at the Lakeside Campus of the Darlington school system change her behavior?
5. What did Dr. Blake's evaluation of Nancy say was the root of her problems? How did this make the Spungens feel?
6. Why was Deborah upset with Nancy's treatment at the Lakeside Campus?
7. How did Nancy react when her sister was born?
8. How did Deborah Spungen's grief prompt her to write this book?
9. How did the media and press affect Deborah's grief?
10. Describe Nancy's temper tantrums as a toddler and how people handled them differently.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did Deborah ultimately come to understand about Nancy's death? In your response, answer the following questions:
1) What role did Deborah assume Sid had in Nancy's murder?
2) What evidence supported Deborah's assumptions about Sid's involvement (use text evidence about Nancy and Sid's relationship)
3) How and why did her feelings about Sid's involvement change over time?
4) What evidence did Deborah provide (throughout the book) that supports Sid's claims that Nancy wanted to die?
Essay Topic 2
How did fame fuel Sid and Nancy's destructive lives? In your response, address the following points:
1) The Sex Pistols' outrageous behavior and the fame it brought
2) Nancy's attention to Sid's fame and musical following
3) Examine the ways the media's attention perpetuated the fame surrounding Sid and Nancy.
Essay Topic 3
How did Nancy's behavior affect her family? In your response, explain the following:
1) Nancy's relationship with her parents (separately and together)
2) Influences and relationship with her siblings
3) Expense of treatments, special schools, etc
4) Ways that Nancy's behavior prevented the family from living a "normal" life.
This section contains 1,400 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)