|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helped Nancy's parents buy a semi-detached house?
2. Why did Nancy get frustrated when making a bead bracelet with girls from the neighborhood?
3. What advice did Mrs.Taylor give Deborah to help her feel better about a fussy baby?
4. What pet did Nancy try to throw down the stairs?
5. What ward was Nancy placed in when she was admitted to the psychiatric hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did David and Suzy reveal to the parents about their own drug use?
2. How did Nancy respond when she was first introduced to rock and roll?
3. How was Nancy's behavior after the birth of her brother different than her actions after her sister was born? What does this suggest about her behavior?
4. Why did Nancy get angry with her mother when she bought a box of Saran Wrap? What did she do in response?
5. Why did Deborah feel so bonded to Nancy when she was first born?
6. What was Nancy's final year at Lakeside like?
7. Right before Nancy started school, what did her parents and doctors believe Nancy needed in order to help her behavior? Why were the Spungens so willing to accept this as truth?
8. Why was Deborah upset with Nancy's treatment at the Lakeside Campus?
9. What medical issues did Nancy face when she was first born?
10. How did Deborah Spungen's grief prompt her to write this book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were Deborah Spungen's motivations for writing this book? In your essay, answer the following questions:
1) What did Deborah want people to know about Nancy?
2) How did the media attention stemming from Nancy's death affect Deborah's decision?
3) What lessons can the reader learn from the Spungens' experiences (trying to get Nancy the help she needed, drugs, etc)?
4) How did writing this book help Deborah Spungen come to terms with Nancy's life and death?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Nancy's experiences in school. In your essay, be sure to address the following:
1) All the schools Nancy attended and the affect they had on her behavior
2) How school administrators treated Nancy's behavior
3) Life in college
4) Nancy's high intelligence and how she felt about school
5) Ways that Nancy educated herself.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the title of this book? In your essay, explain how Deborah got to know the line, "And I don't want to live this life." What does this quote mean? How is it significant to the life story of Nancy Spungen? Who said it? Why was it important to Deborah? Provide textual evidence from the book that supports this as an appropriate title for Nancy's life story.
This section contains 1,475 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)