|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What medication did Nancy steal from her mother in an attempt to overdose?
2. How long were Nancy and Deborah in the hospital after Nancy's birth?
3. How did Deborah describe Nancy's state of mind when she tried to throw a pet down the stairs?
4. What troubles did Nancy have when she began school?
5. How did Nancy react when she almost threw a pet down the stairs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Right before Nancy started school, what did her parents and doctors believe Nancy needed in order to help her behavior? Why were the Spungens so willing to accept this as truth?
2. What was Nancy's final year at Lakeside like?
3. How did Nancy respond when she was first introduced to rock and roll?
4. How did Dr. Cott disappoint Nancy and Deborah?
5. How did the media and press affect Deborah's grief?
6. Why was Deborah upset with Nancy's treatment at the Lakeside Campus?
7. Why did Deborah feel so bonded to Nancy when she was first born?
8. What did Nancy declare to her parents in Chapter 12 about her death?
9. What medical issues did Nancy face when she was first born?
10. Why did Nancy get angry with her mother when she bought a box of Saran Wrap? What did she do in response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that explores the relationship between Deborah Spungen and Sid Vicious after Nancy's death. Why did Sid continue communicating with Deborah? What were his motives? How did Deborah react to Sid's communication? Was this relationship harmful or hurtful to both Deborah and Sid? What did Deborah come to understand about Sid, Nancy, and the murder after communicating with Sid?
Essay Topic 2
This book is a biography. How would Nancy change her story if she told it? Choose one chapter from the book. Rewrite it as though it were an autobiography. Your response should include all the events, people, and places Deborah describes in the chapter but from Nancy's point of view. Keep in mind Nancy's personality, thoughts about people and places, and how her point of view is different from her mother's.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that examines how Frank and Nancy Spungen were often blamed for Nancy's troubles. In your response, answer the following questions:
1) How did the medical community blame the Spungens? Cite specific examples.
2) How did the school system blame the Spungens? Cite specific examples.
3) How did the legal system, both before and after Nancy's death, blame the Spungens? Cite specific examples.
4) In what ways did the Spungens blame themselves for Nancy's troubles?
This section contains 1,435 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)