|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the Kiowa learn of the Piegan story?
(a) They traded stories with Piegan traders.
(b) A Kiowa hunter married a Piegan woman who told the story.
(c) They captured a Piegan woman who told it.
(d) They made friends with some Piegan who told it.
2. What does Grey believe will bring Set to her?
(a) The sheer strength of her will.
(b) His need for understanding of his culture.
(c) The medicine bundle.
(d) His Kiowa blood.
3. What does Billy the Kid bring to Sitting Bear?
4. What does Alais Sancerre notice about Set's body after they have slept together?
(a) He has hair everywhere on his body.
(b) He is muscular and strong.
(c) He is pale and sickly looking.
(d) He is tense and tight-muscled.
5. What does Set feel as he picks up the bear's paw?
(a) A secure strength.
(b) An urgent restlessness.
(c) A calm serenity.
(d) A wild curiosity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the Piegan people decide not to believe in the child who disappeared?
2. What did people who came later find the early tribes had left on the plains?
3. Why couldn't the plains have an ordinary place name?
4. What do members of the Navajo tribe call themselves?
5. What does Set find in his old bedroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. In his old age, what is the last thing that the shield maker dreams? Why is this dream of his significant?
2. What is the Kaitsenko Society?
3. Grey closes one calendar and opens another in Chapter Eleven of Book Two. What do these different calendars represent?
4. Why does Dr. Merriman's knowledge of folklore, witchcraft, and medical mythology fail to impress Set?
5. What does Set mean when he tells Lela that the bear stands against him, and that he is the bear?
6. What understanding about Set does Lola Bourne come to while he is hospitalized?
7. What is unusual about the death of Worcester Meat?
8. Who becomes the maker of shields?
9. In Chapter Twelve, Grey does something that has been important to her for the last time. What is it?
10. What does Grey see of Set beyond his physical appearance?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)