|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lela say has made Set sick?
(a) His modern upbringing stands against him.
(b) His Kiowa blood stands against him.
(c) His life as an orphan stands against him.
(d) The bear stands against him.
2. Why did the old wanderers consider the plains the most sacred of sacred grounds?
(a) It had no fences.
(b) It was the center of the world.
(c) It was fertile land.
(d) It had no European settlers.
3. What extraordinary sense did Set acquire as he became a bear?
4. Why couldn't the plains have an ordinary place name?
(a) They were too vast.
(b) They were too boring.
(c) They were too frightening.
(d) They were too flat.
5. When does Grey think her mother and sister will come to like Set?
(c) After a while.
(d) Within a few weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why don't Grey and Set speak at the dance?
2. What had caused Set's breakdown, according to the hospital?
3. What does Set do each morning as he first wakes up?
4. What ceremony does Grey perform in the Kiowa way?
5. What does the Navajo part of Grey long for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What understanding about Set does Lola Bourne come to while he is hospitalized?
2. What is unusual about the death of Worcester Meat?
3. Why were the Piegan people unable to believe in the child?
4. Grey closes one calendar and opens another in Chapter Eleven of Book Two. What do these different calendars represent?
5. How does Worcester Meat feel when he dies?
6. How does Grey feel about herself during her pregnancy?
7. How does Set respond to the hospital staff's diagnosis and explanations of his condition?
8. In his old age, what is the last thing that the shield maker dreams? Why is this dream of his significant?
9. In Chapter Twelve, Grey does something that has been important to her for the last time. What is it?
10. How does Grey know that Set will act in the proper way?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)