|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would Jamison want to be available if she chose to be manic depressive?
2. What kind of humor does Jamison share with the Englishman?
3. Which of the following colorful expressions does Jamison use in this chapter?
4. What does Schou share with Jamison?
5. Why does Jamison prefer the term manic depressive illness?
Essay Topic 1
How is Jamison's book important in changing people's perceptions of mental illness? How much does it help that she is a well established doctor? Is there a danger that people will connect such illnesses with high achievers?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Jamison uses other people in the story to express her ideas.
Essay Topic 3
In 500 words, and using examples from the book, discuss the difference between Jamison's life when she was not in control of her illness to when you did gain control.
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)