|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jamison not think is such a good idea?
2. What drug does Jamison compare the addictiveness of her manic states to?
3. What did her illness destroy?
4. Which of the following colorful expressions does Jamison use in this chapter?
5. What does the lower dose of lithium allow Jamison to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Jamison never had children?
2. What does Jamison say she now accepts about her illness?
3. How does Jamison end her memoir?
4. How does Jamison cope on her return to Los Angeles?
5. How could revealing her illness affect her personal life?
6. What is Jamison's view on the use of slang to describe people with mental illness?
7. What research is James Watson doing regarding the cause of mental illness?
8. How does Jamison react to David's death?
9. What does Jamison say has given her the greatest happiness?
10. How does Richard react when Jamison tells him about her mental illness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following options and discuss how Jamison's illness affected that particular area in her life.
2) Social life.
3) Intimate relationships.
Essay Topic 2
Examine manic depressive illness as described in the book.
1) What does Jamison feel during a manic episode?
2) What does Jamison suffer during a depressive episode?
3) Define stable state of mind?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Jamison use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)