|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who poses the question to Jamison at the start of the chapter?
2. In which city does Richard live?
3. What did the woman think that Jamison's choice of words would do to sufferers of mental illness?
4. What notable award has James Watson won?
5. What does Jamison feel herself to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jamison hope never to have to experience again concerning her manic episodes?
2. What does Jamison say has given her the greatest happiness?
3. Describe the letter Jamison received after giving a presentation in chapter 10?
4. Why does Jamison prefer the term manic depressive to bi-polar?
5. How does Jamison cope on her return to Los Angeles?
6. How could revealing her illness affect her personal life?
7. What research is James Watson doing regarding the cause of mental illness?
8. What conversation does Jamison recall at the beginning of chapter 11?
9. What is Jamison's view on the use of slang to describe people with mental illness?
10. How is the lower dosage of lithium benefiting Jamison in chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book discuss the reasons why manic depression is connected with creativity.
Essay Topic 2
Examine manic depressive illness as described in the book.
1) What does Jamison feel during a manic episode?
2) What does Jamison suffer during a depressive episode?
3) Define stable state of mind?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Jamison's writing style. How would you describe her prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? Does she use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Jamison's style give to her story?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)