|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which city does Richard live?
2. What did her illness destroy?
3. What city does Jamison go back to?
4. What did James Watson discover?
5. What does the chairman already know about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the department chairman react when Jamison tells him she suffers from a mental illness?
2. Why was Jamison reluctant to openly discuss her illness?
3. What question does Jamison pose at the beginning of chapter 14?
4. How does Jamison benefit when her psychiatrist lowers her dosage level?
5. How does Jamison stop the temptation of reliving her manic episodes?
6. Why is Jamison encouraged by a presentation at the end of chapter 11?
7. How is the lower dosage of lithium benefiting Jamison in chapter 9?
8. What research is James Watson doing regarding the cause of mental illness?
9. Summarize the book.
10. What is Jamison wary of avoiding distinguishing the use of slang to describe mental illness in chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jamison occasionally examines the positive aspects of her illness. What positives can Jamison take from her illness? Would she have become the successful person she became without the illness?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Jamison uses other people in the story to express her ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following options and discuss how Jamison's illness affected that particular area in her life.
2) Social life.
3) Intimate relationships.
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)