|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following composers does the orchestra not play?
2. What does the air crash become a metaphor for?
3. Which of the following words does Jamison use to describe her illness?
4. Where does Jamison's psychiatrist take her when Jamison insists she wants to be alone?
5. In which English city does Jamison spend a few months in?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jamison mood swings affect her at college?
2. What kind of work does Jamison decide to go into after graduate school?
3. Why does Jamison admire her older brother?
4. What reason does Jamison give for connecting manic depressives with creativity?
5. How does Jamison's first visit to a psychiatric hospital affect her?
6. What kind of work does Jamison do at the UCLA facility?
7. What is Jamison's opinion of using medication to treat depressive disorders?
8. What does Jamison discover in chapter 6 when a bright young lawyer kills himself?
9. Describe the depressive extreme of Jamison's mood disorder.
10. How is Jamison's image of herself inaccurate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the people Jamison mentions in the book and discuss how they helped Jamison to recover. Could Jamison have survived without their support?
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book discuss the reasons why manic depression is connected with creativity.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Jamison's writing style. How would you describe her prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? Does she use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Jamison's style give to her story?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)