|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country does Jamison go to in this chapter?
2. What does Jamison join in 1974?
3. What does Jamison say was filled with warmth, friendship and confidence?
4. What is Jamison reluctant to surrender to when she is manic?
5. What is Jamison's brother researching the economic aspects of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Jamison's image of herself inaccurate?
2. How does Jamison feel about her disorder?
3. What indications are there that there is history of manic depression in Jamison's family?
4. Why does Jamison admire her older brother?
5. What is Jamison's opinion of using medication to treat depressive disorders?
6. What is an example of Jamison's manic behavior?
7. How does Jamison's first visit to a psychiatric hospital affect her?
8. How does the concert in chapter 6 benefit manic depressives?
9. In what way did Jamison's time at college turn out to be a positive experience?
10. What kind of work does Jamison do at the UCLA facility?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Jamison's writing style. How would you describe her prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? Does she use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Jamison's style give to her story?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following options and discuss how Jamison's illness affected that particular area in her life.
2) Social life.
3) Intimate relationships.
Essay Topic 3
In 500 words, and using examples from the book, discuss the difference between Jamison's life when she was not in control of her illness to when you did gain control.
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)