|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jamison encounter resistance from the medical school for her clinic?
2. What is Jamison reluctant to surrender to when she is manic?
3. Where does Jamison's psychiatrist take her when Jamison insists she wants to be alone?
4. Who does Jamison find sitting at her office desk in this chapter?
5. Which of the following drugs is Jamison not researching?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Jamison give for connecting manic depressives with creativity?
2. How does Jamison's first visit to a psychiatric hospital affect her?
3. Describe the depressive extreme of Jamison's mood disorder.
4. How does Jamison's brother save her life in chapter 5?
5. What is Jamison's sister's views on lithium?
6. How does the concert in chapter 6 benefit manic depressives?
7. How does Jamison prove that manic depression is linked with greater creativity?
8. How does Jamison's disorder affect her home life?
9. What does Jamison find attractive about David Laurie?
10. How does David help Jamison get over a depressive episode?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Jamison's book important in changing people's perceptions of mental illness? How much does it help that she is a well established doctor? Is there a danger that people will connect such illnesses with high achievers?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss differences between the novel and autobiography formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can novelists express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
Essay Topic 3
Examine manic depressive illness as described in the book.
1) What does Jamison feel during a manic episode?
2) What does Jamison suffer during a depressive episode?
3) Define stable state of mind?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)