|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following words does Jamison use to describe her illness?
2. What does Jamison say happens after several years of taking lithium?
3. Who does David invite to dinner in this chapter?
4. What university does Jamison receive a federal grant to attend?
5. What country has David been assigned to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Jamison's image of herself inaccurate?
2. Describe the manic extreme of Jamison's mood disorder.
3. How does Jamison prove that manic depression is linked with greater creativity?
4. What reason does Jamison give for connecting manic depressives with creativity?
5. What is Jamison's opinion of using medication to treat depressive disorders?
6. What kind of work does Jamison do at the UCLA facility?
7. How does the concert in chapter 6 benefit manic depressives?
8. What happens to the plane that flies over the school yard in the first chapter?
9. What does Jamison think of St. Andrews?
10. Why does Jamison admire her older brother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the following statement. Jamison focuses too much on the internal factors that cause mental illness and not enough on external factors. Using example from both the book and two other sources to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
An Unquiet Mind was written in 1995. Choose one of the following options and discuss how psychiatry's ideas have developed since then.
1) The use of lithium.
2) Bi-polar as a genetically inherited illness.
3) Links between bi-polar and creativity.
Essay Topic 3
Examine manic depressive illness as described in the book.
1) What does Jamison feel during a manic episode?
2) What does Jamison suffer during a depressive episode?
3) Define stable state of mind?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)