|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does Jamison want to buy?
2. Which of the following words does Jamison use to describe her illness?
3. Who does David invite to dinner in this chapter?
4. What does Jamison decide she needs to be patient with?
5. At what school is Jamison a psychiatrist?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does David help Jamison get over a depressive episode?
2. How does the concert in chapter 6 benefit manic depressives?
3. What happens to the plane that flies over the school yard in the first chapter?
4. How does Jamison describe her early childhood years?
5. How does Jamison mood swings affect her at college?
6. What kind of work does Jamison do at the UCLA facility?
7. How does Jamison feel about her disorder?
8. What is Jamison's opinion of using medication to treat depressive disorders?
9. What happens to Jamison as she is walking through a garden campus in chapter 2?
10. Why can Jamison not go to a Ivy League school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine manic depressive illness as described in the book.
1) What does Jamison feel during a manic episode?
2) What does Jamison suffer during a depressive episode?
3) Define stable state of mind?
Essay Topic 2
Write a 500-word essay revolving around one of the following statements:
1) By connecting manic depression to creativity there is a danger Jamison could romanticize the illness.
2) Jamison's recovery from her illness occurred at a time when most people begin to develop emotional maturity.
3) Jamison is often too subjective and fails to address the fact medication may not benefit everybody.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Jamison's writing style. How would you describe her prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? Does she use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Jamison's style give to her story?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)