|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jamison find too emotional?
2. What can Jamison never repay back to her brother?
3. What job does the bright young man have who kills himself?
4. What subject does Jamison's brother have a PHD in?
5. What does Jamison find it difficult doing when she is on lithium?
Short Essay Questions
1. What indications are there that there is history of manic depression in Jamison's family?
2. How does Jamison hear about David's death?
3. How does Jamison manage to simplify her life?
4. How does Jamison describe her early childhood years?
5. What is Jamison's sister's views on lithium?
6. What reason does Jamison give for not getting on with her sister?
7. What does Jamison discover in chapter 6 when a bright young lawyer kills himself?
8. In what way did Jamison's time at college turn out to be a positive experience?
9. How is Jamison's image of herself inaccurate?
10. What is Jamison's opinion of using medication to treat depressive disorders?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine manic depressive illness as described in the book.
1) What does Jamison feel during a manic episode?
2) What does Jamison suffer during a depressive episode?
3) Define stable state of mind?
Essay Topic 2
In 500 words, and using examples from the book, discuss the difference between Jamison's life when she was not in control of her illness to when you did gain control.
Essay Topic 3
What major events had a profound affect on Jamison's life and how did they change her? What does Jamison still have to learn by the end of the book?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)