|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following words or phrases does Jamison not use to describe her depressive episodes?
(b) Deep cave like blackness
(c) Life-in-death blankness
(d) Deaden her spirits
2. Why does Jamison prefer the term manic depressive illness?
(a) It is more descriptive
(b) People know what it is
(c) It has more positive connotations
(d) It sounds more dangerous
3. What city does Jamison go back to?
(b) Los Angeles
4. What did one psychiatrist tell Jamison never to have?
(a) A lobotomy
(c) A husband
5. What university does Jamison teach at?
(a) John Hopkins
6. Why would Jamison want to lower her medication?
(a) To lose weight
(b) To relive the excitement of her moods
(c) To communicate better
(d) To think clearly
7. Who does Jamison recall a conversation with?
(a) Johann Johannsen
(b) Johan Cryuff
(c) Delmore Scwartz
(d) Mogens Schou
8. What is the correct medical diagnosis of Jamison's illness?
(a) Manic depression
(b) Clinical depression
9. What does Jamison say has made her life bearable?
(a) Human contact
10. Who did Jamison want to protect by not talking about her illness?
(a) Her family
(b) Her colleagues
(d) Her friends
11. Who poses the question to Jamison at the start of the chapter?
(a) Her psychiatrist
(b) Her husband
(c) Her brother
12. What question does Jamison pose at the beginning of the chapter?
(a) Whether she would choose to be born
(b) Whether she would choose to have children
(c) Whether she would choose to have manic depression
(d) Whether she would choose to live in America
13. What have Jamison's exalted moods taught her?
(a) Always put your health first
(b) Always keep looking for better things
(c) Never to become jaded to life
(d) Family is the most important part of her life
14. What does Jamison study in Oxford?
(a) Manic depression among genuises
(b) Manic depression among British artists and writers
(c) Manic depression among serial killers
(d) Manic depression and William Shakespeare
15. What is Jamison sometimes tempted to do?
(a) Lower her dosage of lithium
(b) Have an affair
(d) Commit suicide
Short Answer Questions
1. Which English town is David buried in?
2. What message does the Englishman write in the book?
3. What illness does Richard research?
4. What would Jamison want to be available if she chose to be manic depressive?
5. What drug does Jamison compare the addictiveness of her manic states to?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)