|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Etty reaches a place of being unwilling to put up what?
2. Etty subsequently learns that Jews in Deventer are no longer allowed to own what?
3. Etty writes, "Ultimately, what matters most is to __________________."
4. Etty writes (what matters most is) "to keep a small corner of ___________ unsullied, come what may."
5. After Spier's death, Etty's level of empathy does what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Etty believe that she should appear strong? Why or why not?
2. What does Etty come to accept, which affects her thoughts, feelings, and obligations?
3. How does Etty's life and beliefs change due to the war?
4. Why does Hillesum decide she would rather not marry Spier?
5. On who does Etty rely? How does this affect her emotions?
6. How does Etty feel about the atrocities taking place? How does this also lead to feelings of guilt?
7. What has happened to Etty's faith? What does she think about this?
8. What happens to Etty after Spier's death?
9. What does Etty believe one should do to handle the increasingly difficult situation?
10. What is known about Etty's faith at this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Max Kormann is a close friend of Etty's.
Part 1) Describe Max Kormann. How did they become close friends? What do these two people have in common? Use the text to support your response.
Part 2) How is their friendship important? How is it important to Etty's story?
Part 3) Who is one of your close friends? Why? How is this person important in your life?
Essay Topic 2
Etty verbalizes her faith to her friend.
Part 1) Describe Etty's faith and how it changes over time. What causes these changes in her faith? How does this, in turn, affect her thoughts and actions?
Part 2) Why does she verbalize her faith to a friend? How does this affect her? How is this important?
Part 3) In what do you have faith? Why? How does this faith influence your thoughts and actions?
Essay Topic 3
Etty's relationship with Julius Spier deepens.
Part 1) Who is Julius Spier? Describe him and his relationship with Etty. How does their relationship change over time? Why does it change?
Part 2) What can be learned about Etty through this relationship? How does this relationship compare to her relationship with Han?
Part 3) What ends their relationship? How does she come to realize their relationship would turn out as she thought? How does the war affect her relationship? Could this relationship have succeeded? Why or why not?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)