|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Etty writes (what matters most is) "to keep a small corner of ___________ unsullied, come what may."
2. It serves humanity better to allow a persecutor to witness another's ________________________.
3. Where does Etty live?
4. Etty interprets speaking openly to her friend as what?
5. Etty comes to accept and value her role as what?
Short Essay Questions
1. On who does Etty rely? How does this affect her emotions?
2. What has happened to Etty's faith? What does she think about this?
3. What has happened to Etty's motivations? How does she support this?
4. What does Etty come to accept, which affects her thoughts, feelings, and obligations?
5. What does Etty admit to her friend Ru? How is this significant?
6. How does Etty's life and beliefs change due to the war?
7. Does Etty realize the threat to her way of life? Does this affect her positive attitude? Explain.
8. What is clear by May of 1942?
9. How do Etty's beliefs affect her actions regarding her safety?
10. For what does Etty begin to prepare? How might she feel about this exercise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Life and Westerbork is a transient one.
Part 1) Describe this life at Westerbork. Why is it such a transient one? How does this work in the German's favor?
Part 2) How does this lifestyle affect the Jews who live here? How is Etty, in particular, affected? How is her fate foreshadowed at this time?
Part 3) Describe your own life. Has it ever been transient? Why or why not? What type of transient people live in the U.S. today? Why do they live this way? Might this be by choice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Etty begins this diary for two reasons.
Part 1) What are these two reasons? What do these two reasons reveal about her? How do these two reasons prepare the reader for her diary?
Part 2) How are these two reasons important throughout the diary? Are other purposes discovered as she creates this diary? Why or why not?
Part 3) If you were to write a diary, what would be your purpose? Why? How could keeping a diary be useful for you and others?
Essay Topic 3
Etty's parents and brother arrive at Westerbork.
Part 1) Why do they end up at Westerbork? How is Etty affected by this? How does Etty try to help them? Is she successful? Why or why not?
Part 2) What is the fate of this family? Could this have been prevented? Why or why not? What does their fate reveal about the lives of the Jews who were placed in concentration camps during the war?
Part 3) How might you feel if you were in Etty's situation? How would you react if your family joined in your entrapment and suffering?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)