|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Etty comes to accept and value her role as what?
2. Etty feels guilt about living how?
(a) In the city.
(b) As a Christian.
(c) So abundantly.
(d) As a sinner.
3. Etty declares, "Death is _________________."
(a) A gentle slipping away.
(c) Soon to come.
(d) A scary concept.
4. Why does Etty do what she does after Spier's death?
(a) In order to understand her own feelings.
(b) In order to make him understand her feelings.
(c) In order to give herself a sense of completion with their relationship.
(d) In order to forget him.
5. Does Etty feel it is necessary to purge her personality of everything possible which does not support her new way of being in the world?
(a) No, but she considers this.
(b) Yes, but only at first.
Short Answer Questions
1. Is Etty aware of the threat that the Germans pose?
2. Etty writes (what matters most is) "to keep a small corner of ___________ unsullied, come what may."
3. Hillesum resigns herself to what fact?
4. At the time of Spier's death, why is Etty not at Westerbork?
5. Etty's devotion to the higher purpose of carrying out God's will and design for her life becomes what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Etty's beliefs affect her actions regarding her safety?
2. Why does Hillesum decide she would rather not marry Spier?
3. How does Etty's life and beliefs change due to the war?
4. What does Etty admit to her friend Ru? How is this significant?
5. What leads to Etty going to Westerbork?
6. What does Etty say about suffering?
7. For what does Etty begin to prepare? How might she feel about this exercise?
8. How does Etty feel about the atrocities taking place? How does this also lead to feelings of guilt?
9. What happens to Etty after Spier's death?
10. On who does Etty rely? How does this affect her emotions?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)