|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Julius Spier dies of what in September of 1942?
(b) Natural causes.
(c) An accident.
(d) A drug overdose.
2. Etty refuses to buckle under what?
(a) Under the stress of living under German occupation.
(b) Under the pressure of doing what is right for others.
(c) Under the weight of strong emotion.
(d) Under the weight of many physical burdens.
3. Etty interprets speaking openly to her friend as what?
(a) An act of stupidity.
(b) An act of bravery.
(c) An act of selfishness.
(d) An act of freedom.
4. [On July 15], 1942, Etty secures a position in what?
(a) The Cultural Affairs Department of the Jewish Council.
(b) A home in America.
(c) A nice concentration camp.
(d) A new school teaching Russian.
5. Etty remains stalwart in what?
(a) Her refusal to take the blame for her guilt.
(b) Her refusal to place blame on the Germans.
(c) Her refusal to give up Spier.
(d) Her refusal to take a negative view of life.
Short Answer Questions
1. Etty's motivations have become unambiguously ______________.
2. What is the primary reason Etty gives for deciding to change her plans with Spier, prior to his death?
3. It is at this time that Etty realizes that she and Spier may have no future because of what?
4. What does Etty do after Spier's death?
5. Etty is hyper-alert, hyper-conscious of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Etty realize the threat to her way of life? Does this affect her positive attitude? Explain.
2. What happens to Etty after Spier's death?
3. From what does Julius Spier die? How does Etty cope with this?
4. What is clear by May of 1942?
5. To what does Hillesum resign herself?
6. What does Etty believe one should do to handle the increasingly difficult situation?
7. What does Etty come to accept, which affects her thoughts, feelings, and obligations?
8. What leads to Etty going to Westerbork?
9. Does Etty believe that she should appear strong? Why or why not?
10. What is known about Etty's faith at this time?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)