|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Etty accept her own feeling of bearing a burden?
(b) Yes, at first.
(c) Yes, somewhat.
2. Etty comes to love what?
(b) The Germans.
(c) Her family.
(d) The world at large.
3. Where is Etty when Spier dies?
(a) In Amsterdam.
(b) In America.
(c) In the concentration camp.
(d) In Germany.
4. Approximately one week later, Etty Hillesum volunteers to do what?
(a) Be a teacher.
(b) Be sent to America.
(c) Be deported to Auschwitz.
(d) Be deported to Westerbork.
5. It serves humanity better to allow a persecutor to witness another's ________________________.
(a) "Strength and resilience."
(b) "Fear and anxiety."
(c) "Sadness and utter defenselessness."
(d) "Hatred and anger."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Etty believe the answer to number 100 would do?
2. Etty refuses to buckle under what?
3. HIllesum decides that she would rather not do what?
4. Etty continues to insist that life is what?
5. When does Etty not allow her faith to lapse?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Etty's life and beliefs change due to the war?
2. Why does Hillesum decide she would rather not marry Spier?
3. For what does Etty begin to prepare? How might she feel about this exercise?
4. What has happened to Etty's faith? What does she think about this?
5. What is clear by May of 1942?
6. What leads to Etty going to Westerbork?
7. Does Etty realize the threat to her way of life? Does this affect her positive attitude? Explain.
8. On who does Etty rely? How does this affect her emotions?
9. What does Etty say about suffering?
10. What is known about Etty's faith at this time?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)