|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Etty was a twenty-seven-year-old single woman living where, making her way in the city?
2. Etty Hillesum was determined to grow ________________.
(a) Emotionally and spiritually.
(d) Mentally, emotionally and spiritually.
3. Hillesum writes that on Sunday, June 14, 1941 the German government begins to round up and ____________ the Jews.
4. Etty discloses that what life is more important?
(a) Her internal life.
(b) Her personal life.
(c) Her love life.
(d) Her external life.
5. Who encouraged Julius Spier to go into a practice and take on clients?
Short Answer Questions
1. By September of 1941, it becomes clear from her diary entries that Etty Hillesum has begun to change _________________.
2. What eventually leads Hillesum down the path of physical isolation and often results in illness of one sort or another?
3. Much of the discomfort among those living in the house stemmed from what?
4. Etty admits that she is more the kind of person who wears her heart where?
5. Esther ("Etty") Hillesum began writing a dairy in early __________ of 1941.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Etty's feelings towards her family begin to change?
2. What does Etty say about the topic of hatred?
3. Over what does Etty want to gain control? What does she resolve to do every day?
4. When did the author first begin writing this diary? Describe her at this time.
5. What foreshadowing of Etty's future occurs? How does it seem she is preparing herself for this future?
6. How is Etty's eating disorder symbolic?
7. Describe the men for whom Etty has feelings.
8. How does Etty feel about men? How does she explain this?
9. How does Etty's faith continue to grow?
10. How does Etty begin to change significantly and radically?
This section contains 1,277 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)