|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Around this time, Etty addresses the question of __________, specifically talking about the Germans.
2. Before World War II arrived on her doorstep, Etty Hillesum's main concern was what?
(a) Her family.
(b) Her external life.
(c) Her looks.
(d) Her internal life.
3. What becomes Etty Hillesum's main focus?
(b) Spiritual growth.
(c) Saving the Jews.
(d) Her writing.
4. Hillesum first meets Julius Spier, who is sometimes simply referred to as __________ in the diary.
5. Etty feels a certain amount of ___________ toward Spier.
Short Answer Questions
1. It is at this point that Etty Hillesum identifies her loneliness as a deep well that can only be filled by ______________.
2. Approximately one month later, Etty Hillesum entreats herself to allow ___________ rather than the opposite.
3. Etty's relationship with her father is somewhat __________.
4. Etty admits not being interested in what?
5. What moment became the most important moment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What becomes more of a presence? How does this affect Etty?
2. What foreshadowing of Etty's future occurs? How does it seem she is preparing herself for this future?
3. How does Etty begin to change significantly and radically?
4. By April 2, 1942, how does Etty feel about Spier?
5. What does Etty do to become closer to God?
6. How does Etty's faith continue to grow?
7. Of what does Etty admit she is guilty? How does this then lead to a spiritual discussion?
8. What is Etty's opinion of marriage for herself? Why might she feel this way?
9. Over what does Etty want to gain control? What does she resolve to do every day?
10. Describe the men for whom Etty has feelings.
This section contains 1,277 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)