|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. It is at this point that Etty Hillesum identifies her loneliness as a deep well that can only be filled by ______________.
(a) The presence of God.
(c) Others Jews.
2. Etty was a twenty-seven-year-old single woman living where, making her way in the city?
3. Hillesum writes that she tried to do what in the house?
(a) Organize a revolt.
(b) Keep the peace.
(c) Stand up for the Jews.
(d) Take control.
4. Etty realizes that it would be unfair as well as counterproductive to return the Germans' ____________ of her own.
(a) Hatred with love.
(b) Hatred with hatred.
(c) Love with hatred.
(d) Fear with love.
5. Spier's insights psychology came as the result of his own work with whom?
(a) Erich Fromm.
(b) Carl Gustav Jung.
(c) Harry Stack Sullivan.
(d) Jacques Lacan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Etty admits certain weaknesses, mostly having to do with what?
2. Etty admonishes herself to let go of what things?
3. What moment became the most important moment?
4. What is this exercise intended to do?
5. Hillesum refers to a feeling of ______________ toward men as something worthy of resolution.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Etty say about the topic of hatred?
2. What becomes more of a presence? How does this affect Etty?
3. How does Etty feel about men? How does she explain this?
4. Describe the men for whom Etty has feelings.
5. What does Etty say about evil?
6. By April 2, 1942, how does Etty feel about Spier?
7. How does Etty's feelings towards her family begin to change?
8. What does Etty reveal about Spier? How does Etty, at this point, feel about Spier?
9. What foreshadowing of Etty's future occurs? How does it seem she is preparing herself for this future?
10. What problem does Etty experience? Why? How does this lead to a discussion of Etty's family?
This section contains 1,436 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)