|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Spier die?
(a) In April of 1942.
(b) In September of 1942.
(c) In January of 1942.
(d) In November of 1942.
2. Etty later grasps the magnitude of her choice not to do what?
(a) Go into hiding or attempt to "save" herself in any way.
(b) Move out of the house.
(c) Save her family.
(d) Admit she is a Jew.
3. Etty writes, "Ultimately, what matters most is to __________________."
(a) Bear the pain to cope with (what is going on around her).
(b) Be content with what you have.
(c) Have faith in life.
(d) Pray for salvation.
4. Etty obliges herself to the preservation and dissemination of what?
(a) Her thoughts and actions.
(b) Her thoughts, actions, and obligations.
(c) Her feelings, assumptions, and beliefs.
(d) Her thoughts, feelings, and obligations.
5. Etty no longer concerns herself with the need to appear how?
(c) Strong on the outside.
6. What does Etty admit to her friend Ru?
(a) Her only hope now is to save her family.
(b) An unshakable faith in God is the main strength of her life.
(c) She is afraid of what is to come.
(d) She wishes she had attempted to escape.
7. What else does Etty come to love?
(a) The beauty she sees outside her window and in her relationships.
(b) The idea of freedom.
(c) Being on the Jewish Council.
(d) The concentration camp.
8. This act of verbalizing to another person is what for Etty?
9. Etty declares, "Death is _________________."
(a) A gentle slipping away.
(b) A scary concept.
(d) Soon to come.
10. Why might the Jews of Deventer not be allowed to own certain types of property?
(a) The Germans want to slowly take over their lives.
(b) The Jews do not understand how important property is.
(c) The Germans do not believe they are intelligent enough to own property.
(d) The Germans want to hold onto their property until after the war.
11. Why does Etty do what she does after Spier's death?
(a) In order to give herself a sense of completion with their relationship.
(b) In order to forget him.
(c) In order to make him understand her feelings.
(d) In order to understand her own feelings.
12. It serves humanity better to allow a persecutor to witness another's ________________________.
(a) "Sadness and utter defenselessness."
(b) "Hatred and anger."
(c) "Strength and resilience."
(d) "Fear and anxiety."
13. Etty is cognizant of her _________________ as a Jew.
14. Is Etty aware of the threat that the Germans pose?
(a) No, not at all aware.
(b) Yes, mostly aware.
(c) Yes, well aware.
(d) Yes, somewhat aware.
15. After Spier's death, Etty's level of empathy does what?
(d) Stays the same.
Short Answer Questions
1. Etty begins preparing herself for life where?
2. Etty's devotion to the higher purpose of carrying out God's will and design for her life becomes what?
3. Etty further addresses what concept?
4. Why does Etty feel guilty about her life, compared to others?
5. Etty's reliance is completely on who?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)