|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Etty when Spier dies?
(a) In Amsterdam.
(b) In America.
(c) In the concentration camp.
(d) In Germany.
2. Why does Etty do what she does after Spier's death?
(a) In order to understand her own feelings.
(b) In order to give herself a sense of completion with their relationship.
(c) In order to forget him.
(d) In order to make him understand her feelings.
3. Etty comes to love what?
(a) The world at large.
(b) Her family.
(d) The Germans.
4. Etty no longer concerns herself with the need to appear how?
(d) Strong on the outside.
5. Etty's motivations have become unambiguously ______________.
(c) Difficult to understand.
6. Approximately one week later, Etty Hillesum volunteers to do what?
(a) Be deported to Auschwitz.
(b) Be a teacher.
(c) Be sent to America.
(d) Be deported to Westerbork.
7. HIllesum decides that she would rather not do what?
(a) Move to a concentration camp.
(b) Believe in God.
(c) Marry Julius Spier.
(d) Be a Jew.
8. At the time of Spier's death, why is Etty not at Westerbork?
(a) She is escaping to America.
(b) She is very ill.
(c) She is on leave from her duties at Westerbork.
(d) She is being transported to Auschwitz.
9. Etty prefers to "be there for everyone" rather than do what?
(a) Be there for only herself.
(c) Be there for no one.
(d) Be there for only her family.
10. Etty remains stalwart in what?
(a) Her refusal to take the blame for her guilt.
(b) Her refusal to take a negative view of life.
(c) Her refusal to give up Spier.
(d) Her refusal to place blame on the Germans.
11. Etty is hyper-alert, hyper-conscious of what?
(a) What is taking place in her heart.
(b) Her actions.
(c) What is taking place all around her.
(d) The actions of the other Jews.
12. Where does Etty live?
(a) In a Jewish household.
(b) In an inn.
(c) In a non-Jewish household.
(d) In an apartment.
13. What else does she address?
(a) The utility of personal and communal participation in having faith without preconception.
(b) The utility of personal and communal participation in suffering without preconception.
(c) The utility of personal and communal participation in having hope without preconception.
(d) The utility of personal and communal participation in loving without preconception.
14. Etty obliges herself to the preservation and dissemination of what?
(a) Her thoughts, actions, and obligations.
(b) Her feelings, assumptions, and beliefs.
(c) Her thoughts, feelings, and obligations.
(d) Her thoughts and actions.
15. Etty knows that it is simply a matter of time before what happens to her?
(a) She is apprehended and transferred to a camp of some sort.
(b) She is allowed to leave.
(c) She is saved.
(d) She attempts to escape.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Etty at the time Spier dies?
2. Does Etty accept her own feeling of bearing a burden?
3. Etty interprets speaking openly to her friend as what?
4. Etty feels guilt about living how?
5. Etty praises God when?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)