|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Etty rise above her bitterness about the truth of the Jews' plight in Holland?
(a) Only much later.
(b) Only at first.
2. Etty comes to love what?
(b) The world at large.
(c) Her family.
(d) The Germans.
3. Etty is hyper-alert, hyper-conscious of what?
(a) The actions of the other Jews.
(b) What is taking place in her heart.
(c) What is taking place all around her.
(d) Her actions.
4. Is Etty aware of the threat that the Germans pose?
(a) Yes, well aware.
(b) Yes, mostly aware.
(c) No, not at all aware.
(d) Yes, somewhat aware.
5. Etty's reliance is completely on who?
(d) Her mother.
6. Etty prefers to "be there for everyone" rather than do what?
(a) Be there for no one.
(b) Be there for only herself.
(c) Be there for only her family.
7. Etty feels guilt about living how?
(a) In the city.
(b) As a sinner.
(c) As a Christian.
(d) So abundantly.
8. How is Etty at the time Spier dies?
(a) She is busy.
(b) She is sad.
(c) She is content.
(d) She is ill.
9. With what idea does Etty deal?
(a) The idea of willingly, fearlessly bearing one's own burdens and the burdens of those in one's community.
(b) The idea of loving those who hate you.
(c) The idea of one's own mortality.
(d) The idea of having faith in something that you cannot see.
10. What does Etty do after Spier's death?
(a) She tries to forget about him.
(b) She prays for him.
(c) She writes Spier a long letter.
(d) She writes his family a long letter.
11. Etty refuses to buckle under what?
(a) Under the pressure of doing what is right for others.
(b) Under the stress of living under German occupation.
(c) Under the weight of many physical burdens.
(d) Under the weight of strong emotion.
12. After Spier's death, Etty's level of empathy does what?
(d) Stays the same.
13. Etty comes to accept and value her role as what?
14. Etty declares, "Death is _________________."
(a) Soon to come.
(b) A scary concept.
(c) A gentle slipping away.
15. Where is Etty when Spier dies?
(a) In Amsterdam.
(b) In Germany.
(c) In the concentration camp.
(d) In America.
Short Answer Questions
1. Etty obliges herself to the preservation and dissemination of what?
2. Etty writes, "Ultimately, what matters most is to __________________."
3. Why might the Jews of Deventer not be allowed to own certain types of property?
4. Etty later grasps the magnitude of her choice not to do what?
5. What does Etty believe the answer to number 100 would do?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)