|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Etty Hillesum's diary begins on what day?
(a) Sunday, May 9, 1941.
(b) Sunday, June 9, 1941.
(c) Sunday, March 9, 1941.
(d) Sunday, April 9, 1941.
2. Who encouraged Julius Spier to go into a practice and take on clients?
3. The diary begins as a way for Etty to do what?
(a) Write down her ideas.
(b) Make money.
(c) Become famous.
(d) Work through her feelings.
4. Etty engages herself in a discussion of the ________ as the predominant force in an individual's life.
5. Etty admits not being interested in what?
6. Etty admits that she is more the kind of person who wears her heart where?
(a) On her sleeve.
(b) In her chest.
(c) On her coat.
(d) In her head.
7. Who was Etty's favorite author?
(a) Catherine Aird.
(b) Tapani, Bagge.
(c) Langston Hughes.
(d) Rainer Maria Rilke.
8. Much of the discomfort among those living in the house stemmed from what?
(a) People's mistrust of the German cook, Käthe.
(b) People's hatred of the German cook, Käthe.
(c) People's hatred of the Jewish cook, Käthe.
(d) People's mistrust of the Jewish cook, Käthe.
9. Around this time, Etty addresses the question of __________, specifically talking about the Germans.
10. Etty decides to work her way through her negative feelings in hopes of what?
(a) Being forgiven by her family.
(b) Feeling confident without her family's love.
(c) Finding a new family.
(d) Coming to a place of acceptance and forgiveness.
11. Each day, Etty's writings speak of her need to gain control over ______________.
(b) The Germans.
(d) Other Jews.
12. Etty returns to a sincere desire to pay more attention to her inner life as a way of bringing about what?
(a) External change.
(c) Internal change.
13. What eventually leads Hillesum down the path of physical isolation and often results in illness of one sort or another?
(a) Not getting enough sleep or food.
(b) Following the directions of the Germans.
(c) The experience of suppressing her personal needs.
(d) Only caring about her own needs.
14. Etty admits that she is guilty of what?
15. Etty's day-to-day life centers around her work as what?
(a) A Russian teacher.
(b) A dance teacher.
(c) An English teacher.
(d) An art teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is this exercise intended to do?
2. Etty experiences a problem with overeating, which she attributes to what greed?
3. Etty was a twenty-seven-year-old single woman living where, making her way in the city?
4. This is the word used by the Germans to refer to the process by which large numbers of Jews were captured from their homes and off the streets and then put into ghettos or camps.
5. It is at this point that Etty Hillesum identifies her loneliness as a deep well that can only be filled by ______________.
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)