|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Etty admits certain weaknesses, mostly having to do with what?
(a) Her appetites.
(b) Her family.
(c) Her fear.
(d) Her looks.
2. This is the word used by the Germans to refer to the process by which large numbers of Jews were captured from their homes and off the streets and then put into ghettos or camps.
3. Etty realizes that it would be unfair as well as counterproductive to return the Germans' ____________ of her own.
(a) Hatred with hatred.
(b) Fear with love.
(c) Love with hatred.
(d) Hatred with love.
4. Etty decides to work her way through her negative feelings in hopes of what?
(a) Feeling confident without her family's love.
(b) Finding a new family.
(c) Coming to a place of acceptance and forgiveness.
(d) Being forgiven by her family.
5. What eventually leads Hillesum down the path of physical isolation and often results in illness of one sort or another?
(a) Not getting enough sleep or food.
(b) Following the directions of the Germans.
(c) Only caring about her own needs.
(d) The experience of suppressing her personal needs.
6. Does the widower's age concern Etty?
(d) Not usually.
7. Hillesum writes that she tried to do what in the house?
(a) Organize a revolt.
(b) Take control.
(c) Stand up for the Jews.
(d) Keep the peace.
8. Etty's day-to-day life centers around her work as what?
(a) A dance teacher.
(b) An English teacher.
(c) A Russian teacher.
(d) An art teacher.
9. By September of 1941, it becomes clear from her diary entries that Etty Hillesum has begun to change _________________.
(a) Quite a bit.
(c) Very little.
(d) Significantly and radically.
10. Much of the discomfort among those living in the house stemmed from what?
(a) People's hatred of the Jewish cook, Käthe.
(b) People's hatred of the German cook, Käthe.
(c) People's mistrust of the Jewish cook, Käthe.
(d) People's mistrust of the German cook, Käthe.
11. Does Etty have a strong relationship with her mother?
(a) Only early on.
12. More than once, Etty Hillesum admits doing what?
(a) Feeling hatred.
(b) Ignoring her own needs in favor of meeting the needs of others.
(c) Ignoring the needs of others in favor of her own needs.
(d) Ignoring all needs and meditating.
13. Etty Hillesum had devoted herself to honing her craft. What was her craft?
14. What is this exercise intended to do?
(a) Learn what mental illness she has.
(b) Relieve her stress and aggression.
(c) Relieve fear and stress.
(d) Relieve fear.
15. This person was the founder of what?
(a) Developmental psychology.
(b) Analytical psychology.
(c) Clinical psychology.
(d) Experimental psychology.
Short Answer Questions
1. Etty Hillesum was determined to grow ________________.
2. Aside from being solely therapeutic, what does this exercise awaken in Etty?
3. Etty feels a certain amount of ___________ toward Spier.
4. Putting everything on paper satisfied ________ of Etty's most innermost desires.
5. Each day, Etty's writings speak of her need to gain control over ______________.
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)