|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Etty have a strong relationship with her mother?
(d) Only early on.
2. As part of her therapy, Etty and Spier engage in what?
(a) A kind of wrestling.
(b) A kind of arguing.
(c) A kind of dancing.
(d) A kind of yelling.
3. This greed reminds Etty of who?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her lovers.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her brother.
4. Aside from being solely therapeutic, what does this exercise awaken in Etty?
(b) Sexual feelings.
(d) Loving feelings.
5. Esther ("Etty") Hillesum began writing a dairy in early __________ of 1941.
6. Etty admits not being interested in what?
7. Early in her writings, Etty says that she finds Spier intriguing and she is impressed with what?
(a) His intelligence.
(b) His sensuality and power.
(c) His looks.
(d) His beliefs.
8. Even before reaching Westerbork, Etty Hillesum's ___________ emerges as something independent and infinitely more powerful than her physical self.
9. What becomes Etty Hillesum's main focus?
(a) Saving the Jews.
(b) Her writing.
(d) Spiritual growth.
10. Etty admonishes herself to let go of what things?
(b) Things outside of herself.
(c) All things.
(d) Things inside herself.
11. Does the widower's age concern Etty?
(c) Not usually.
12. What serves as a symbol of her materialism?
(a) Etty's clothing.
(b) Etty's diary.
(c) Etty's eating problem.
(d) Etty's home.
13. Spier is a psychoanalyst who specializes in what?
(c) Cognitive therapy.
14. Approximately one month later, Etty Hillesum entreats herself to allow ___________ rather than the opposite.
(a) Herself to embrace life.
(b) Life to embrace her.
(c) God to give her a better life.
(d) Herself to pray for a better life.
15. Who was Etty's favorite author?
(a) Tapani, Bagge.
(b) Langston Hughes.
(c) Rainer Maria Rilke.
(d) Catherine Aird.
Short Answer Questions
1. Etty Hillesum had devoted herself to honing her craft. What was her craft?
2. Hillesum writes that she tried to do what in the house?
3. It is at this point that Etty Hillesum identifies her loneliness as a deep well that can only be filled by ______________.
4. Etty admits certain weaknesses, mostly having to do with what?
5. In February of 1942, several professors and other acquaintances of Etty's are sent where as prisoners of the Nazis?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)