|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters from Westerbork (Pages 235 - 365).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. More than once, Etty Hillesum admits doing what?
(a) Ignoring all needs and meditating.
(b) Ignoring her own needs in favor of meeting the needs of others.
(c) Feeling hatred.
(d) Ignoring the needs of others in favor of her own needs.
2. Does Etty feel it is necessary to purge her personality of everything possible which does not support her new way of being in the world?
(a) No, but she considers this.
(b) Yes, but only at first.
3. What becomes Etty Hillesum's main focus?
(a) Her writing.
(c) Spiritual growth.
(d) Saving the Jews.
4. What serves as a symbol of her materialism?
(a) Etty's diary.
(b) Etty's clothing.
(c) Etty's eating problem.
(d) Etty's home.
5. Etty begins preparing herself for life where?
(a) In Germany.
(b) In a very small cell.
(c) In her own apartment.
(d) In a small town.
Short Answer Questions
1. Etty was a twenty-seven-year-old single woman living where, making her way in the city?
2. Max ("Osias") Kormann was what to Ettay?
3. Hillesum holds fast to what belief?
4. Etty decides to work her way through her negative feelings in hopes of what?
5. The camp is severely over-crowded and all of the housing units look the same. So, is there any evidence of varying life?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)