|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book III.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Locke try to look at understanding?
(b) As the result of evolution.
(c) Relative to the passions.
(d) In a vacuum.
2. How does Locke say the concept of innate knowledge ultimately fails?
(a) Knowledge can only be known through language and symbols.
(b) The genes cannot be made to demonstrate the origins of knowledge.
(c) Even instincts require reinforcement.
(d) People have different ideas of the terms in any proposition.
3. What does Locke describe the mind as?
(a) A battlefield.
(b) A cultural storehouse.
(c) A library.
(d) A blank slate.
4. To what does Locke attribute the ability to create technology and to organize our environment?
5. What does Locke say we about words that cannot be defined any further?
(a) They are essential ideas.
(b) They are complex ideas.
(c) They are general words.
(d) They are simple ideas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What standard would an idea have to meet to be considered innate?
2. What idea does NOT come from sensation, according to Locke?
3. What is the limitation of understanding, according to Locke?
4. Where does Locke say ideas come from?
5. How does Locke define perception?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)