|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book III.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are primary qualities different from secondary qualities?
(a) Secondary qualities depend on something innate about the thing.
(b) Primary qualities will not change.
(c) Secondary qualities will not change.
(d) Primary qualities are the unification of all the secondary qualities.
2. What does reflection create ideas out of?
(a) The mind's own operations.
(b) Language itself.
3. How can we understand the properties of things, according to Locke?
(a) By analyzing our ideas of those things.
(b) By meditating on the things.
(c) By performing experiments on the things.
(d) By breaking things into their constituent parts.
4. What does Locke say about the difference between reflection and sensation?
(a) Sensation provides material for reflection.
(b) They are mutually exclusive.
(c) Reflection works first.
(d) They are not totally different.
5. What is reification?
(a) Seeing words as people.
(b) Seeing words as objects.
(c) Seeing words as things to be exchanged.
(d) Seeing words as money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Locke say liberty is aimed at?
2. What does Locke say God gave man in order to fulfill his purpose?
3. How does Locke define truth in an idea?
4. Which is NOT a category of complex ideas, according to Locke?
5. What does Locke say pleasure and pain are the foundation for?
This section contains 238 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)