|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting of Act II Scene 2?
2. Peter claims in Act II Scene 2 that he only wants the town to understand that his brother's motive is to ridicule and destroy what?
3. In Act II Scene 2, Tom tells the crowd that if he's not allowed to say his piece, he will go where?
4. Who is the first person who enters as the captain is tidying up in Act II Scene 2?
5. Where was Jesus crucified?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Petra bring to the office in Act II Scene 1? What does she remark about it?
2. What does Tom threaten when the crowd attempts to silence him in Act II Scene 2?
3. What solution to the problem does Peter supply in Act II Scene 1?
4. What conversation does Catherine have with Horster and Billing in the beginning of Act II Scene 2?
5. Who does Tom congratulate in the beginning of his speech in Act II Scene 2? What is the response?
6. Who is allowed to talk first in the meeting? What does he state?
7. How does Peter filibuster Tom's speech in Act II Scene 2?
8. What conversation does Petra have with Peter in Act II Scene 2?
9. What does Billing say of Aslaksen in Act II Scene 1? What is Hovstad's reply?
10. What is Billing doing in the beginning of Act II Scene 1? Who is he with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Newspapers today pride themselves on their willingness to print the truth. But do they always print the truth? Or do they sometimes bow to the same forces that pressured Hovstad to abandon publication of Dr. Stockmann's story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the phrase "blood is thicker than water" and how this phrase applies in the play. To whom are Peter and Tom each the most committed to in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the correlation between the environmental debate in the play and our society today. How might the play reflect events such as the BP Oil Spill or Global Warming?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)