|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act II Scene 2, Tom asks if he and his family can have passage where?
2. In Act II Scene 2, Tom explains to the crowd that the dream he had for the Springs was NOT to do what?
3. What word refers to a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles that one does not really possess?
4. Which character claims to be a radical liberal?
5. Given little other options, in the end of Act II Scene 1, Tom vows to do what to spread the truth about the water system?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tom describe to the crowd his objectives in bringing the springs to town in Act II Scene 2?
2. What does Peter inform Aslaksen and the others in the office about taxation in Act II Scene 1? What is the response?
3. Where does Act II Scene 2 begin? Why is Horster a part of the assembly?
4. What does Tom threaten when the crowd attempts to silence him in Act II Scene 2?
5. What does Tom do with Peter's hat and coat in the end of Act II Scene 1?
6. What does Tom tell Hovstad to do when he enters in Act II Scene 1? Why?
7. What conversation does Catherine have with Horster and Billing in the beginning of Act II Scene 2?
8. What suggestion about Tom does Billing make in Act II Scene 1?
9. What argument do Hovstad and Peter have in Act II Scene 1?
10. How does Peter filibuster Tom's speech in Act II Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Tom Stockmann as the protagonist of the play. What characteristics does Tom embody in the first scene?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Mr. Kill in the narrative. How is Mr. Kill related to Tom? What is his position within the community?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of the print media in the narrative. What is the playwright suggesting about our own society and culture?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)