|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word means that kept or keeping within reasonable or proper limits; not extreme, excessive, or intense?
2. In Act II Scene 1, Aslaksen refuses to print the report as a what?
3. In the beginning of Act II Scene 1, Hovstad tells Billing to lower his voice because who is in earshot?
4. Tom discusses in Act II Scene 2 the fact that Galileo was brought to his knees for teaching what?
5. Against the objection of some, Aslaksen is named what in Act II Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Tom congratulate in the beginning of his speech in Act II Scene 2? What is the response?
2. What argument do Hovstad and Peter have in Act II Scene 1?
3. Who suggests Tom be declared an enemy of the people? What is the crowd's reaction?
4. What conversation does Catherine have with Horster and Billing in the beginning of Act II Scene 2?
5. How does Hovstad respond to Petra's questioning in Act II Scene 1? What does Petra do?
6. What does Petra bring to the office in Act II Scene 1? What does she remark about it?
7. What suggestion about Tom does Billing make in Act II Scene 1?
8. After Tom leaves in Act II Scene 1, What do Hovstad and Aslaksen discuss about him?
9. What does Tom threaten when the crowd attempts to silence him in Act II Scene 2?
10. What does Peter inform Aslaksen and the others in the office about taxation in Act II Scene 1? What is the response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the correlation between the environmental debate in the play and our society today. How might the play reflect events such as the BP Oil Spill or Global Warming?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the phrase "blood is thicker than water" and how this phrase applies in the play. To whom are Peter and Tom each the most committed to in the story?
Essay Topic 3
What is the relationship between Hovstad and Billing? Are they on equal footing? Are they both sincere about their politics?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)