|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act II Scene 1, Peter angrily declares that the report is based on hatred of what?
2. Tom claims in Act II Scene 2 that he stands against the conventional wisdom that the majority is what?
3. Given little other options, in the end of Act II Scene 1, Tom vows to do what to spread the truth about the water system?
4. After Tom leaves in Act II Scene 1, Hovstad comments to Aslaksen that Tom might prove to be what?
5. Who is allowed to speak first at the gathering in Act II Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the crowd complain about in the beginning of Tom's speaking in Act II Scene 2? How is this assuaged?
2. What does Tom threaten when the crowd attempts to silence him in Act II Scene 2?
3. How does Peter filibuster Tom's speech in Act II Scene 2?
4. What does Peter inform Aslaksen and the others in the office about taxation in Act II Scene 1? What is the response?
5. How and why does Peter enter the office in Act II Scene 1?
6. What is Billing doing in the beginning of Act II Scene 1? Who is he with?
7. What conversation does Petra have with Peter in Act II Scene 2?
8. Who suggests Tom be declared an enemy of the people? What is the crowd's reaction?
9. What does Tom tell Hovstad to do when he enters in Act II Scene 1? Why?
10. What solution to the problem does Peter supply in Act II Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the central subject of debate in the play. How is the pollution in the water described? How "fixable" is the issue?
Essay Topic 2
Newspapers today pride themselves on their willingness to print the truth. But do they always print the truth? Or do they sometimes bow to the same forces that pressured Hovstad to abandon publication of Dr. Stockmann's story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Catherine in the narrative. How is the relationship between Catherine and Tom depicted? Are they happy?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)