|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act II Scene 1, Peter angrily declares that the report is based on hatred of what?
2. What refers to a government by the people or their elected representatives?
3. Who suggests that Tom act with moderation in Act II Scene 1 when Tom tells Hovstad that Peter has declared war?
4. What is the setting of Act II Scene 1?
5. Catherine asks Billing in Act II Scene 2 why he printed whose editorial instead of the report?
Short Essay Questions
1. How and why does Peter enter the office in Act II Scene 1?
2. What conversation does Petra have with Peter in Act II Scene 2?
3. Who is allowed to talk first in the meeting? What does he state?
4. What conversation does Catherine have with Horster and Billing in the beginning of Act II Scene 2?
5. Who does Tom congratulate in the beginning of his speech in Act II Scene 2? What is the response?
6. How does Peter filibuster Tom's speech in Act II Scene 2?
7. How does Hovstad respond to Petra's questioning in Act II Scene 1? What does Petra do?
8. Who suggests Tom be declared an enemy of the people? What is the crowd's reaction?
9. What does Tom response when several in the crowd call him a revolutionist in Act II Scene 2?
10. What argument do Hovstad and Peter have in Act II Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of the print media in the narrative. What is the playwright suggesting about our own society and culture?
Essay Topic 2
How does the term "free thinking" function in "An Enemy of the People"?
Essay Topic 3
"An Enemy of the People" was very popular though it was written out of frustration with drama critics and the liberal press. Why? What did the public think of the play?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)