|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Catherine asks Billing in Act II Scene 2 why he printed whose editorial instead of the report?
2. After Tom leaves in Act II Scene 1, Hovstad comments to Aslaksen that Tom might prove to be what?
3. What refers to a form of government in which god or a deity is recognized as the supreme civil ruler?
4. When was Galileo born?
5. What is the setting of Act II Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tom describe to the crowd his objectives in bringing the springs to town in Act II Scene 2?
2. What does Billing say of Aslaksen in Act II Scene 1? What is Hovstad's reply?
3. What does Tom do with Peter's hat and coat in the end of Act II Scene 1?
4. What does Peter inform Aslaksen and the others in the office about taxation in Act II Scene 1? What is the response?
5. What does Peter promise the town if the springs remain? What if they are taken away?
6. Where does Act II Scene 2 begin? Why is Horster a part of the assembly?
7. Who suggests Tom be declared an enemy of the people? What is the crowd's reaction?
8. How does Peter filibuster Tom's speech in Act II Scene 2?
9. What does Petra bring to the office in Act II Scene 1? What does she remark about it?
10. What conversation does Catherine have with Horster and Billing in the beginning of Act II Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the scene between Peter and Tom in Act I Scene 2, identifying the actions and objectives of each character. What does Peter want Tom to do? How does he go about getting his objective met?
Essay Topic 2
In "An Enemy of the People", the mayor attempts to keep the public from the information in the report to protect himself. In your own community, do you recall any instance in which a local government, business, factory, school district, newspaper, or another entity attempted to withhold vital information from the public?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the finances of both the paper and the baths. Do either or both rely on taxpayer money? What is the principle source of revenue of each?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)