|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act II Scene 1, Billing suggests to Hovstad that they seek the support of Tom to do what?
2. What slang term used by Billings refers to someone who is cowardly or afraid?
3. In Act II Scene 1, Hovstad corrects Peter's characterization of the contamination as what?
4. In the beginning of Act II Scene 1, Hovstad tells Billing to lower his voice because who is in earshot?
5. What refers to a government by the people or their elected representatives?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Peter filibuster Tom's speech in Act II Scene 2?
2. What does Peter promise the town if the springs remain? What if they are taken away?
3. Who suggests Tom be declared an enemy of the people? What is the crowd's reaction?
4. What argument do Hovstad and Peter have in Act II Scene 1?
5. What does the crowd complain about in the beginning of Tom's speaking in Act II Scene 2? How is this assuaged?
6. What does Tom do with Peter's hat and coat in the end of Act II Scene 1?
7. What does Tom threaten when the crowd attempts to silence him in Act II Scene 2?
8. What does Peter inform Aslaksen and the others in the office about taxation in Act II Scene 1? What is the response?
9. Who does Tom congratulate in the beginning of his speech in Act II Scene 2? What is the response?
10. Where does Act II Scene 2 begin? Why is Horster a part of the assembly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Tom Stockmann as the protagonist of the play. What characteristics does Tom embody in the first scene?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Catherine in the narrative. How is the relationship between Catherine and Tom depicted? Are they happy?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the literary element of theme. How does theme differ from subject? How does the theme of "the nature of truth" apply to the narrative?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)