|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What compromise does Tom reach when reading the report at the gathering in Act II Scene 2?
2. When Tom enters in Act II Scene 1, he tells Hovstad to do what?
3. In Act II Scene 1, Billing is exhilarated because he claims this could be the day what?
4. Tom leaves the office after speaking with Hovstad in Act II Scene 1 because who is waiting for him?
5. In Act II Scene 1, Catherine lashes out at Hovstad for being what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the crowd complain about in the beginning of Tom's speaking in Act II Scene 2? How is this assuaged?
2. How and why does Peter enter the office in Act II Scene 1?
3. Who suggests Tom be declared an enemy of the people? What is the crowd's reaction?
4. How does Peter filibuster Tom's speech in Act II Scene 2?
5. Who is allowed to talk first in the meeting? What does he state?
6. How does Tom describe to the crowd his objectives in bringing the springs to town in Act II Scene 2?
7. What does Peter inform Aslaksen and the others in the office about taxation in Act II Scene 1? What is the response?
8. What is Billing doing in the beginning of Act II Scene 1? Who is he with?
9. What does Tom do with Peter's hat and coat in the end of Act II Scene 1?
10. What argument do Hovstad and Peter have in Act II Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the characters of Petra and Tom Stockmann. What similarities do they share? What differences?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the scene between Peter and Tom in Act I Scene 2, identifying the actions and objectives of each character. What does Peter want Tom to do? How does he go about getting his objective met?
Essay Topic 3
Examine and discuss the career of Henrik Ibsen and the original production of "An Enemy of the People". What did Ibsen write the play in response to?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)