|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Jesus crucified?
2. What refers to a form of government in which god or a deity is recognized as the supreme civil ruler?
3. In his speech in Act II Scene 2, Tom congratulates Hovstad for his what?
4. In Act II Scene 2, Tom tells the crowd that if he's not allowed to say his piece, he will go where?
5. Peter claims in Act II Scene 2 that he only wants the town to understand that his brother's motive is to ridicule and destroy what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom tell Hovstad to do when he enters in Act II Scene 1? Why?
2. What conversation does Petra have with Peter in Act II Scene 2?
3. How does Hovstad respond to Petra's questioning in Act II Scene 1? What does Petra do?
4. How and why does Peter enter the office in Act II Scene 1?
5. Who suggests Tom be declared an enemy of the people? What is the crowd's reaction?
6. What does Billing say of Aslaksen in Act II Scene 1? What is Hovstad's reply?
7. Who does Tom congratulate in the beginning of his speech in Act II Scene 2? What is the response?
8. What does the crowd complain about in the beginning of Tom's speaking in Act II Scene 2? How is this assuaged?
9. How does Peter filibuster Tom's speech in Act II Scene 2?
10. What does Peter promise the town if the springs remain? What if they are taken away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Tom Stockmann as the protagonist of the play. What characteristics does Tom embody in the first scene?
Essay Topic 2
What is the relationship between Hovstad and Billing? Are they on equal footing? Are they both sincere about their politics?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the life and career of Arthur Miller. What did Miller write about his decision to adapt Ibsen's "An Enemy of the People"?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)