|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What relative of Tom Stockmann's is exceptionally wealthy?
2. In Act II Scene 2, Tom explains to the crowd that the dream he had for the Springs was to provide a way to do what?
3. What does Tom tell Peter that his cane represents in Act II Scene 1?
4. In Act II Scene 1, Peter points out to Aslaksen that the community will be what if the water system is dismantled and rebuilt?
5. What word means to soften or tone down, as in one's beliefs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What argument do Hovstad and Peter have in Act II Scene 1?
2. What does Tom do with Peter's hat and coat in the end of Act II Scene 1?
3. What conversation does Catherine have with Horster and Billing in the beginning of Act II Scene 2?
4. What does Tom threaten when the crowd attempts to silence him in Act II Scene 2?
5. What is Billing doing in the beginning of Act II Scene 1? Who is he with?
6. Where does Act II Scene 2 begin? Why is Horster a part of the assembly?
7. What suggestion about Tom does Billing make in Act II Scene 1?
8. Who suggests Tom be declared an enemy of the people? What is the crowd's reaction?
9. What does Petra bring to the office in Act II Scene 1? What does she remark about it?
10. Who does Tom congratulate in the beginning of his speech in Act II Scene 2? What is the response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Mr. Kill in the narrative. How is Mr. Kill related to Tom? What is his position within the community?
Essay Topic 2
"An Enemy of the People" was very popular though it was written out of frustration with drama critics and the liberal press. Why? What did the public think of the play?
Essay Topic 3
What is the relationship between Hovstad and Billing? Are they on equal footing? Are they both sincere about their politics?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)