|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Peter claims in Act II Scene 2 that he only wants the town to understand that his brother's motive is to ridicule and destroy what?
2. In Act II Scene 1, Billing finishes reading the report which he declares to be what?
3. Given little other options, in the end of Act II Scene 1, Tom vows to do what to spread the truth about the water system?
4. In his speech in Act II Scene 2, Tom states that in the past Hovstad had fought for what?
5. In Act II Scene 1, Peter angrily declares that the report is based on hatred of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Peter promise the town if the springs remain? What if they are taken away?
2. What does Tom response when several in the crowd call him a revolutionist in Act II Scene 2?
3. What does Tom tell Hovstad to do when he enters in Act II Scene 1? Why?
4. What is Billing doing in the beginning of Act II Scene 1? Who is he with?
5. What does the crowd complain about in the beginning of Tom's speaking in Act II Scene 2? How is this assuaged?
6. What does Peter inform Aslaksen and the others in the office about taxation in Act II Scene 1? What is the response?
7. Who does Tom congratulate in the beginning of his speech in Act II Scene 2? What is the response?
8. How does Tom describe to the crowd his objectives in bringing the springs to town in Act II Scene 2?
9. What argument do Hovstad and Peter have in Act II Scene 1?
10. Where does Act II Scene 2 begin? Why is Horster a part of the assembly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of the print media in the narrative. What is the playwright suggesting about our own society and culture?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the life and career of Arthur Miller. What did Miller write about his decision to adapt Ibsen's "An Enemy of the People"?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Mr. Kill in the narrative. How is Mr. Kill related to Tom? What is his position within the community?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)