|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Peter enter in Act II Scene 1?
2. Given little other options, in the end of Act II Scene 1, Tom vows to do what to spread the truth about the water system?
3. Against the objection of some, Aslaksen is named what in Act II Scene 2?
4. Who enters the newspaper office with a book that Hovstad asked to be translated for publication in the newspaper in Act II Scene 1?
5. After Tom leaves in Act II Scene 1, Hovstad comments to Aslaksen that Tom might prove to be what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Billing doing in the beginning of Act II Scene 1? Who is he with?
2. What does Tom threaten when the crowd attempts to silence him in Act II Scene 2?
3. What does Billing say of Aslaksen in Act II Scene 1? What is Hovstad's reply?
4. How does Hovstad respond to Petra's questioning in Act II Scene 1? What does Petra do?
5. What does Petra bring to the office in Act II Scene 1? What does she remark about it?
6. Who does Tom congratulate in the beginning of his speech in Act II Scene 2? What is the response?
7. How does Tom describe to the crowd his objectives in bringing the springs to town in Act II Scene 2?
8. What does Tom response when several in the crowd call him a revolutionist in Act II Scene 2?
9. What solution to the problem does Peter supply in Act II Scene 1?
10. What conversation does Petra have with Peter in Act II Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the term "free thinking" function in "An Enemy of the People"?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the life and career of Arthur Miller. What did Miller write about his decision to adapt Ibsen's "An Enemy of the People"?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of the print media in the narrative. What is the playwright suggesting about our own society and culture?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)