|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Only the town drunk and who vote against declaring Tom an enemy of the people in Act II Scene 2?
2. In Act II Scene 1, Aslaksen refuses to print the report as a what?
3. In Act II Scene 1, Peter points out to Aslaksen that the community will be what if the water system is dismantled and rebuilt?
4. In Act II Scene 2, Tom tells the crowd that if he's not allowed to say his piece, he will go where?
5. What is the setting of Act II Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who suggests Tom be declared an enemy of the people? What is the crowd's reaction?
2. What solution to the problem does Peter supply in Act II Scene 1?
3. Who is allowed to talk first in the meeting? What does he state?
4. What does the crowd complain about in the beginning of Tom's speaking in Act II Scene 2? How is this assuaged?
5. Where does Act II Scene 2 begin? Why is Horster a part of the assembly?
6. What does Tom threaten when the crowd attempts to silence him in Act II Scene 2?
7. How does Peter filibuster Tom's speech in Act II Scene 2?
8. What argument do Hovstad and Peter have in Act II Scene 1?
9. What conversation does Petra have with Peter in Act II Scene 2?
10. What does Peter promise the town if the springs remain? What if they are taken away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Mr. Kill in the narrative. How is Mr. Kill related to Tom? What is his position within the community?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Ibsen (and Miller) include the character of Captain Horster? What role does Horster play in the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the scene between Peter and Tom in Act I Scene 2, identifying the actions and objectives of each character. What does Peter want Tom to do? How does he go about getting his objective met?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)