|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act II Scene 2, when Tom begins to speak some in the crowd complain that there is no what for the meeting?
2. Tom discusses in Act II Scene 2 the fact that Galileo was brought to his knees for teaching what?
3. Who enters the newspaper office with a book that Hovstad asked to be translated for publication in the newspaper in Act II Scene 1?
4. In Act II Scene 1, to show Peter that his position is that of the people, Tom puts on what?
5. In Act II Scene 2, Tom claims that what is never right until it does right?
Short Essay Questions
1. What suggestion about Tom does Billing make in Act II Scene 1?
2. How and why does Peter enter the office in Act II Scene 1?
3. What does Billing say of Aslaksen in Act II Scene 1? What is Hovstad's reply?
4. Who suggests Tom be declared an enemy of the people? What is the crowd's reaction?
5. What conversation does Catherine have with Horster and Billing in the beginning of Act II Scene 2?
6. Who is allowed to talk first in the meeting? What does he state?
7. Who does Tom congratulate in the beginning of his speech in Act II Scene 2? What is the response?
8. What does Tom tell Hovstad to do when he enters in Act II Scene 1? Why?
9. What does Tom do with Peter's hat and coat in the end of Act II Scene 1?
10. What argument do Hovstad and Peter have in Act II Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the literary element of theme. How does theme differ from subject? How does the theme of "the nature of truth" apply to the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Catherine in the narrative. How is the relationship between Catherine and Tom depicted? Are they happy?
Essay Topic 3
How does the term "free thinking" function in "An Enemy of the People"?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)