|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Tom Stockmann's maid?
2. Hovstad mentions to the mayor in Act I Scene 1 that the newspaper was running an article written by whom?
3. Who starred in Miller's premier of "An Enemy of the People"?
4. How old is Ejlif?
5. Who is the editor of the The People's Daily Messenger?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom assert of Peter's views in Act I Scene 1?
2. What does Peter assert about the springs in Act I Scene 1?
3. What argument do Peter and Catherine have in Act I Scene 1?
4. What is Peter's initial response to the report in Act I Scene 2?
5. What does Peter tell Tom he is going to do with Kirsten Springs in Act I Scene 2? What is Tom's response?
6. What does Hovstad see the situation as in Act I Scene 2? What is his principle personal battle?
7. Who has arrived at the beginning of Act I Scene 1? Where is Tom Stockmann?
8. Who is Mr. Aslaksen and why does he come by in Act I Scene 2?
9. How long had Tom suspected problems with the water? How did he come to his actions in Act I Scene 1?
10. What does Hovstad note about Aslaksen in Act I Scene 2? What does Hovstad intend to do when he departs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the life and career of Arthur Miller. What did Miller write about his decision to adapt Ibsen's "An Enemy of the People"?
Essay Topic 2
How does the term "free thinking" function in "An Enemy of the People"?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the phrase "blood is thicker than water" and how this phrase applies in the play. To whom are Peter and Tom each the most committed to in the story?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)