|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What character in the play shares the most characteristics with Tom Stockmann?
2. What does Tom's eldest child bring to him in Act I Scene 1?
3. In Act I Scene 2, Hovstad claims to have been what his entire life?
4. In what year did Arthur Miller's adaptation of "An Enemy of the People" premiere?
5. In Act I Scene 2, Peter accuses Tom of _______ the situation.
Short Essay Questions
1. What argument do Peter and Catherine have in Act I Scene 1?
2. What does Hovstad see the situation as in Act I Scene 2? What is his principle personal battle?
3. Who stops by Tom's residence first in Act I Scene 2? Why?
4. Who is allowed to talk first in the meeting? What does he state?
5. What does Peter suggest Tom do instead of releasing the report in Act I Scene 2? What is Tom's reaction?
6. How and why does Peter enter the office in Act II Scene 1?
7. What does Hovstad note about Aslaksen in Act I Scene 2? What does Hovstad intend to do when he departs?
8. What thematic question is posed regarding Tom and Peter in Act I Scene 1?
9. Discuss the truth in Act I Scene 2. How does the playwright establish "the truth" in the narrative?
10. What does Peter tell Tom of his situation in Act III? How does Tom respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the correlation between the environmental debate in the play and our society today. How might the play reflect events such as the BP Oil Spill or Global Warming?
Essay Topic 2
If you were an attorney arguing to close the town spa, you would need evidence that the spa water is indeed contaminated. How would you obtain this evidence?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the phrase "blood is thicker than water" and how this phrase applies in the play. To whom are Peter and Tom each the most committed to in the story?
This section contains 1,390 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)