|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Tom Stockmann's wife?
2. In Act I Scene 2, Peter accuses Tom of _______ the situation.
3. Tom insists that Hovstad wait to print the report in the paper until what in Act I Scene 2?
4. Who is the editor of the The People's Daily Messenger?
5. In Act I Scene 2, Tom accuses Peter of being unable to admit that he approved the construction of the Springs where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Peter's initial response to the report in Act I Scene 2?
2. Who stops by Tom's residence first in Act I Scene 2? Why?
3. According to Tom in Act I Scene 1, what must be done to correct the problem with the water? What does he do with the report?
4. Discuss the truth in Act I Scene 2. How does the playwright establish "the truth" in the narrative?
5. What thematic question is posed regarding Tom and Peter in Act I Scene 1?
6. What conversation do Tom and Hovstad share over the society in Act I Scene 2?
7. In Act I Scene 2, what does Tom awaken to? What does he suspect of Peter?
8. What guests come in as Catherine's father is leaving in Act I Scene 1? What discussion do they have?
9. What does Hovstad note about Aslaksen in Act I Scene 2? What does Hovstad intend to do when he departs?
10. What does Peter tell Tom he is going to do with Kirsten Springs in Act I Scene 2? What is Tom's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Newspapers today pride themselves on their willingness to print the truth. But do they always print the truth? Or do they sometimes bow to the same forces that pressured Hovstad to abandon publication of Dr. Stockmann's story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the correlation between the environmental debate in the play and our society today. How might the play reflect events such as the BP Oil Spill or Global Warming?
Essay Topic 3
What is the relationship between Hovstad and Billing? Are they on equal footing? Are they both sincere about their politics?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)