|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sent Tom a letter in Act I Scene 1?
2. Who is the editor of the The People's Daily Messenger?
3. In Act I Scene 2, Peter accuses Tom of _______ the situation.
4. Who is Tom Stockmann's father-in-law?
5. What is causing the waste in the water, according to the report?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom allude to in Act I Scene 1 that implies the coming problems?
2. According to Tom in Act I Scene 1, what must be done to correct the problem with the water? What does he do with the report?
3. Who has arrived at the beginning of Act I Scene 1? Where is Tom Stockmann?
4. What announcement does Tom make after reading his letter in Act I Scene 1?
5. Who stops by Tom's residence first in Act I Scene 2? Why?
6. What is Peter's initial response to the report in Act I Scene 2?
7. What does Hovstad note about Aslaksen in Act I Scene 2? What does Hovstad intend to do when he departs?
8. What children does Tom return with in Act I Scene 1? What does he remark about his children and how does this impact Peter?
9. What thematic question is posed regarding Tom and Peter in Act I Scene 1?
10. What does Tom assert of Peter's views in Act I Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the phrase "blood is thicker than water" and how this phrase applies in the play. To whom are Peter and Tom each the most committed to in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the scene between Peter and Tom in Act I Scene 2, identifying the actions and objectives of each character. What does Peter want Tom to do? How does he go about getting his objective met?
Essay Topic 3
How does the term "free thinking" function in "An Enemy of the People"?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)