|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Peter Stockmann is described as nearing what age?
2. In Act I Scene 2, when Tom vows to stand up for his findings, Peter warns him that he will see to it that what?
3. When the boys come home from school and sense that their parents are in the middle of a conflict in Act I Scene 2, Tom tells them that he will be teaching them what?
4. According to Tom, what must be dismantled in order for the population to be safe?
5. When Peter arrives in Act I Scene 2, he expresses disappointment that Tom did what behind his back?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom tell Hovstad to do when he enters in Act II Scene 1? Why?
2. Where does Act II Scene 2 begin? Why is Horster a part of the assembly?
3. What does Tom assert of Peter's views in Act I Scene 1?
4. What argument do Hovstad and Peter have in Act II Scene 1?
5. What argument do Peter and Catherine have in Act I Scene 1?
6. What does Petra bring to the office in Act II Scene 1? What does she remark about it?
7. What guests come in as Catherine's father is leaving in Act I Scene 1? What discussion do they have?
8. What children does Tom return with in Act I Scene 1? What does he remark about his children and how does this impact Peter?
9. What conversation does Catherine have with Horster and Billing in the beginning of Act II Scene 2?
10. What does Peter suggest Tom do instead of releasing the report in Act I Scene 2? What is Tom's reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the central subject of debate in the play. How is the pollution in the water described? How "fixable" is the issue?
Essay Topic 2
If you were an attorney arguing to close the town spa, you would need evidence that the spa water is indeed contaminated. How would you obtain this evidence?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of the print media in the narrative. What is the playwright suggesting about our own society and culture?
This section contains 1,445 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)