|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What beverages are Tom, Catherine, Hovstad, and Captain Horster drinking when Tom's eldest child enters in Act I Scene 1?
2. After Peter leaves in Act I Scene 2, Catherine reminds Tom that Peter has what?
3. How many pages is the report?
4. Hovstad mentions to the mayor in Act I Scene 1 that the newspaper was running an article written by whom?
5. Tom claims that Peter's views are closed and narrow due to his lack of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Tom in Act I Scene 1, what must be done to correct the problem with the water? What does he do with the report?
2. What does Peter suggest Tom do instead of releasing the report in Act I Scene 2? What is Tom's reaction?
3. What does Peter say of his reputation in Act I Scene 2?
4. What does Peter assert about the springs in Act I Scene 1?
5. What thematic question is posed regarding Tom and Peter in Act I Scene 1?
6. What children does Tom return with in Act I Scene 1? What does he remark about his children and how does this impact Peter?
7. What conversation do Tom and Hovstad share over the society in Act I Scene 2?
8. Who stops by Tom's residence first in Act I Scene 2? Why?
9. Who is Mr. Aslaksen and why does he come by in Act I Scene 2?
10. How long had Tom suspected problems with the water? How did he come to his actions in Act I Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the phrase "blood is thicker than water" and how this phrase applies in the play. To whom are Peter and Tom each the most committed to in the story?
Essay Topic 2
How does the term "free thinking" function in "An Enemy of the People"?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Tom Stockmann as the protagonist of the play. What characteristics does Tom embody in the first scene?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)