|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the assistant editor of The People's Daily Messenger?
2. After Peter leaves in Act I Scene 2, Catherine reminds Tom that Peter has what?
3. Who does Mr. Billing urge to stay for dinner in the beginning of Act I Scene 1?
4. Catherine boasts in Act I Scene 1 that Tom literally "invented" what?
5. According to Tom, what must be dismantled in order for the population to be safe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Kill tell Tom the people are really angry about in Act III?
2. When Hovstad says he will support Tom, what does Tom ask him? What does Tom realize about Hovstad?
3. What does Tom threaten when the crowd attempts to silence him in Act II Scene 2?
4. What does Peter suggest Tom do instead of releasing the report in Act I Scene 2? What is Tom's reaction?
5. Why did Mr. Kill buy the shares in Act III?
6. What is Billing doing in the beginning of Act II Scene 1? Who is he with?
7. Who is Mr. Aslaksen and why does he come by in Act I Scene 2?
8. What does Tom tell Hovstad to do when he enters in Act II Scene 1? Why?
9. What does Tom do with Peter's hat and coat in the end of Act II Scene 1?
10. What conversation do Tom and Hovstad share over the society in Act I Scene 2?
Essay Topic 1
Why did Ibsen (and Miller) include the character of Captain Horster? What role does Horster play in the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Catherine in the narrative. How is the relationship between Catherine and Tom depicted? Are they happy?
Essay Topic 3
If you were an attorney arguing to close the town spa, you would need evidence that the spa water is indeed contaminated. How would you obtain this evidence?
This section contains 1,375 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)