|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act I Scene 2, when Tom vows to stand up for his findings, Peter warns him that he will see to it that what?
2. Tom loves to watch his kids eat since they are the ones who will do what?
3. After Peter leaves in Act I Scene 2, Catherine reminds Tom that Peter has what?
4. Who does Mr. Billing urge to stay for dinner in the beginning of Act I Scene 1?
5. In Act I Scene 2, Hovstad refers to the situation as what and plans to portray it as such in the newspaper?
Short Essay Questions
1. What argument do Peter and Catherine have in Act I Scene 1?
2. According to Tom in Act I Scene 1, what must be done to correct the problem with the water? What does he do with the report?
3. In Act I Scene 2, what does Tom awaken to? What does he suspect of Peter?
4. What children does Tom return with in Act I Scene 1? What does he remark about his children and how does this impact Peter?
5. Who is Mr. Aslaksen and why does he come by in Act I Scene 2?
6. What does Peter assert about the springs in Act I Scene 1?
7. What does Peter tell Tom he is going to do with Kirsten Springs in Act I Scene 2? What is Tom's response?
8. What does Tom tell Hovstad to do regarding the report in Act I Scene 1? What is the immediate reaction to the news?
9. Who has arrived at the beginning of Act I Scene 1? Where is Tom Stockmann?
10. How long had Tom suspected problems with the water? How did he come to his actions in Act I Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the finances of both the paper and the baths. Do either or both rely on taxpayer money? What is the principle source of revenue of each?
Essay Topic 2
In "An Enemy of the People", the mayor attempts to keep the public from the information in the report to protect himself. In your own community, do you recall any instance in which a local government, business, factory, school district, newspaper, or another entity attempted to withhold vital information from the public?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Catherine in the narrative. How is the relationship between Catherine and Tom depicted? Are they happy?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)