|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act I Scene 1, the mayor boasts that new medicinal bath center will be as popular as those where?
2. In Act I Scene 2, Peter tells Tom that he is concerned about his what?
3. Hovstad leaves in Act I Scene 2 planning to do what until the report is printed in the paper?
4. In Act I Scene 2, Peter accuses Tom of _______ the situation.
5. Who is the assistant editor of The People's Daily Messenger?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Tom in Act I Scene 1, what must be done to correct the problem with the water? What does he do with the report?
2. What children does Tom return with in Act I Scene 1? What does he remark about his children and how does this impact Peter?
3. In Act I Scene 2, what does Tom awaken to? What does he suspect of Peter?
4. Who stops by Tom's residence first in Act I Scene 2? Why?
5. What does Peter assert about the springs in Act I Scene 1?
6. What does Tom assert of Peter's views in Act I Scene 1?
7. What does Peter suggest Tom do instead of releasing the report in Act I Scene 2? What is Tom's reaction?
8. With whom did Peter have a discussion about the issue in Act I Scene 2? What was the conclusion?
9. What is Peter's initial response to the report in Act I Scene 2?
10. What argument do Peter and Catherine have in Act I Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the characters of Petra and Tom Stockmann. What similarities do they share? What differences?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the life and career of Arthur Miller. What did Miller write about his decision to adapt Ibsen's "An Enemy of the People"?
Essay Topic 3
"An Enemy of the People" was very popular though it was written out of frustration with drama critics and the liberal press. Why? What did the public think of the play?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)