|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom is Tom on a walk in the beginning of Act I Scene 1?
2. In Act I Scene 1, Petra remembers that Tom warned the town not to build the Springs downstream from what?
3. According to Tom, what must be dismantled in order for the population to be safe?
4. When was the original play "An Enemy of the People" published?
5. Who sent Tom a letter in Act I Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who stops by Tom's residence first in Act I Scene 2? Why?
2. Discuss the truth in Act I Scene 2. How does the playwright establish "the truth" in the narrative?
3. What is Peter's initial response to the report in Act I Scene 2?
4. What argument do Peter and Catherine have in Act I Scene 1?
5. What does Peter assert about the springs in Act I Scene 1?
6. What announcement does Tom make after reading his letter in Act I Scene 1?
7. What thematic question is posed regarding Tom and Peter in Act I Scene 1?
8. Who has arrived at the beginning of Act I Scene 1? Where is Tom Stockmann?
9. What does Peter tell Tom he is going to do with Kirsten Springs in Act I Scene 2? What is Tom's response?
10. What conversation do Tom and Hovstad share over the society in Act I Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the characters of Petra and Tom Stockmann. What similarities do they share? What differences?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Catherine in the narrative. How is the relationship between Catherine and Tom depicted? Are they happy?
Essay Topic 3
Examine and discuss the career of Henrik Ibsen and the original production of "An Enemy of the People". What did Ibsen write the play in response to?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)