|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the newly constructed medicinal bath center just on the outskirts of the town?
2. In Act I Scene 2, Tom accuses Peter of being unable to admit that he approved the construction of the Springs where?
3. Tom insists that Hovstad wait to print the report in the paper until what in Act I Scene 2?
4. Tom claims in Act I Scene 1 that without something to fight for, you are what?
5. Hovstad connects everything that's wrong with the town on what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What thematic question is posed regarding Tom and Peter in Act I Scene 1?
2. What does Hovstad note about Aslaksen in Act I Scene 2? What does Hovstad intend to do when he departs?
3. What does Peter say of his reputation in Act I Scene 2?
4. What does Tom assert of Peter's views in Act I Scene 1?
5. According to Tom in Act I Scene 1, what must be done to correct the problem with the water? What does he do with the report?
6. Who is Mr. Aslaksen and why does he come by in Act I Scene 2?
7. In Act I Scene 2, what does Tom awaken to? What does he suspect of Peter?
8. What children does Tom return with in Act I Scene 1? What does he remark about his children and how does this impact Peter?
9. What does Peter suggest Tom do instead of releasing the report in Act I Scene 2? What is Tom's reaction?
10. Who has arrived at the beginning of Act I Scene 1? Where is Tom Stockmann?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the central subject of debate in the play. How is the pollution in the water described? How "fixable" is the issue?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the phrase "blood is thicker than water" and how this phrase applies in the play. To whom are Peter and Tom each the most committed to in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Mr. Kill in the narrative. How is Mr. Kill related to Tom? What is his position within the community?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)