|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is convinced that Tom is trying to pull a fast one on his brother and assumes the entire story is a joke in Act I Scene 2?
2. Catherine is concerned that what will suffer if Tom has a public fight with Peter in Act I Scene 2?
3. Tom responds to Catherine's doubts in Act I Scene I saying that he has all of the what?
4. What word refers to a person who betrays another, a cause, or any trust?
5. In Act I Scene 2, Peter accuses Tom of _______ the situation.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Billing say of Aslaksen in Act II Scene 1? What is Hovstad's reply?
2. What does Tom assert of Peter's views in Act I Scene 1?
3. How long had Tom suspected problems with the water? How did he come to his actions in Act I Scene 1?
4. According to Tom in Act I Scene 1, what must be done to correct the problem with the water? What does he do with the report?
5. What solution to the problem does Peter supply in Act II Scene 1?
6. With whom did Peter have a discussion about the issue in Act I Scene 2? What was the conclusion?
7. What does Peter suggest Tom do instead of releasing the report in Act I Scene 2? What is Tom's reaction?
8. Who suggests Tom be declared an enemy of the people? What is the crowd's reaction?
9. After Tom leaves in Act II Scene 1, What do Hovstad and Aslaksen discuss about him?
10. What does Mr. Kill tell Tom the people are really angry about in Act III?
Essay Topic 1
In "An Enemy of the People", the mayor attempts to keep the public from the information in the report to protect himself. In your own community, do you recall any instance in which a local government, business, factory, school district, newspaper, or another entity attempted to withhold vital information from the public?
Essay Topic 2
If you were an attorney arguing to close the town spa, you would need evidence that the spa water is indeed contaminated. How would you obtain this evidence?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the phrase "blood is thicker than water" and how this phrase applies in the play. To whom are Peter and Tom each the most committed to in the story?
This section contains 1,397 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)