|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What beverages are Tom, Catherine, Hovstad, and Captain Horster drinking when Tom's eldest child enters in Act I Scene 1?
2. What does Tom's eldest child bring to him in Act I Scene 1?
3. Tom Stockmann theorizes that the unsafe water that pours into Kirsten Springs originates where?
4. When the boys come home from school and sense that their parents are in the middle of a conflict in Act I Scene 2, Tom tells them that he will be teaching them what?
5. What is the name of Tom Stockmann's maid?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Kill believe to be the reason for Tom's actions? What does Tom ask Mr. Kill to do?
2. What does Hovstad note about Aslaksen in Act I Scene 2? What does Hovstad intend to do when he departs?
3. Who suggests Tom be declared an enemy of the people? What is the crowd's reaction?
4. What does Petra bring to the office in Act II Scene 1? What does she remark about it?
5. What does Tom threaten when the crowd attempts to silence him in Act II Scene 2?
6. What does Tom assert of Peter's views in Act I Scene 1?
7. What is Billing doing in the beginning of Act II Scene 1? Who is he with?
8. What argument do Peter and Catherine have in Act I Scene 1?
9. What does Peter promise the town if the springs remain? What if they are taken away?
10. When Hovstad says he will support Tom, what does Tom ask him? What does Tom realize about Hovstad?
Essay Topic 1
If you were an attorney arguing to close the town spa, you would need evidence that the spa water is indeed contaminated. How would you obtain this evidence?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of the print media in the narrative. What is the playwright suggesting about our own society and culture?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the central subject of debate in the play. How is the pollution in the water described? How "fixable" is the issue?
This section contains 1,428 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)