|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occupant of the town is the commander of a ship which travels all over the world?
2. What word refers to a person who betrays another, a cause, or any trust?
3. Where is Tom employed as an adviser?
4. What is the name of Tom Stockmann's maid?
5. In Act I Scene 1, Petra remembers that Tom warned the town not to build the Springs downstream from what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who stops by Tom's residence first in Act I Scene 2? Why?
2. What does Tom tell Hovstad to do regarding the report in Act I Scene 1? What is the immediate reaction to the news?
3. Discuss the truth in Act I Scene 2. How does the playwright establish "the truth" in the narrative?
4. What guests come in as Catherine's father is leaving in Act I Scene 1? What discussion do they have?
5. What does Peter tell Tom he is going to do with Kirsten Springs in Act I Scene 2? What is Tom's response?
6. What does Peter suggest Tom do instead of releasing the report in Act I Scene 2? What is Tom's reaction?
7. What does Hovstad see the situation as in Act I Scene 2? What is his principle personal battle?
8. What children does Tom return with in Act I Scene 1? What does he remark about his children and how does this impact Peter?
9. With whom did Peter have a discussion about the issue in Act I Scene 2? What was the conclusion?
10. What thematic question is posed regarding Tom and Peter in Act I Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If you were an attorney arguing to close the town spa, you would need evidence that the spa water is indeed contaminated. How would you obtain this evidence?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of the print media in the narrative. What is the playwright suggesting about our own society and culture?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the characters of Petra and Tom Stockmann. What similarities do they share? What differences?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)