|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Tom Stockmann's eldest child?
2. With whom is Tom on a walk in the beginning of Act I Scene 1?
3. What does Tom's eldest child bring to him in Act I Scene 1?
4. What is the profession of Tom Stockmann's eldest child?
5. What is the setting of Act I Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Peter assert about the springs in Act I Scene 1?
2. What does Tom assert of Peter's views in Act I Scene 1?
3. Who is Mr. Aslaksen and why does he come by in Act I Scene 2?
4. According to Tom in Act I Scene 1, what must be done to correct the problem with the water? What does he do with the report?
5. What does Hovstad see the situation as in Act I Scene 2? What is his principle personal battle?
6. Discuss the truth in Act I Scene 2. How does the playwright establish "the truth" in the narrative?
7. What does Peter tell Tom he is going to do with Kirsten Springs in Act I Scene 2? What is Tom's response?
8. What thematic question is posed regarding Tom and Peter in Act I Scene 1?
9. What does Hovstad note about Aslaksen in Act I Scene 2? What does Hovstad intend to do when he departs?
10. What does Tom allude to in Act I Scene 1 that implies the coming problems?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"An Enemy of the People" was very popular though it was written out of frustration with drama critics and the liberal press. Why? What did the public think of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Examine and discuss the career of Henrik Ibsen and the original production of "An Enemy of the People". What did Ibsen write the play in response to?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of the print media in the narrative. What is the playwright suggesting about our own society and culture?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)