|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What character in the play shares the most characteristics with Tom Stockmann?
2. According to Tom in Act I Scene 1, the report confirms that the water contains what?
3. In Act I Scene 2, when Tom vows to stand up for his findings, Peter warns him that he will see to it that what?
4. Who is the assistant editor of The People's Daily Messenger?
5. Tom Stockmann theorizes that the unsafe water that pours into Kirsten Springs originates where?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is allowed to talk first in the meeting? What does he state?
2. What does Peter promise the town if the springs remain? What if they are taken away?
3. Who is Mr. Aslaksen and why does he come by in Act I Scene 2?
4. What does Peter tell Tom of his situation in Act III? How does Tom respond?
5. What does Peter tell Tom he is going to do with Kirsten Springs in Act I Scene 2? What is Tom's response?
6. What does Peter inform Aslaksen and the others in the office about taxation in Act II Scene 1? What is the response?
7. What does Tom assert of Peter's views in Act I Scene 1?
8. In Act I Scene 2, what does Tom awaken to? What does he suspect of Peter?
9. How does Tom describe to the crowd his objectives in bringing the springs to town in Act II Scene 2?
10. What does Mr. Kill tell Tom the people are really angry about in Act III?
Essay Topic 1
In "An Enemy of the People", the mayor attempts to keep the public from the information in the report to protect himself. In your own community, do you recall any instance in which a local government, business, factory, school district, newspaper, or another entity attempted to withhold vital information from the public?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Catherine in the narrative. How is the relationship between Catherine and Tom depicted? Are they happy?
Essay Topic 3
How does the term "free thinking" function in "An Enemy of the People"?
This section contains 1,418 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)