|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is causing the waste in the water, according to the report?
2. From whose original work did Arthur Miller adapt "An Enemy of the People"?
3. Who does Mr. Billing urge to stay for dinner in the beginning of Act I Scene 1?
4. Where did Tom go to help the poor and afflicted when he was younger?
5. What is the name of the newly constructed medicinal bath center just on the outskirts of the town?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act I Scene 2, what does Tom awaken to? What does he suspect of Peter?
2. What guests come in as Catherine's father is leaving in Act I Scene 1? What discussion do they have?
3. What does Tom tell Hovstad to do regarding the report in Act I Scene 1? What is the immediate reaction to the news?
4. What children does Tom return with in Act I Scene 1? What does he remark about his children and how does this impact Peter?
5. Who has arrived at the beginning of Act I Scene 1? Where is Tom Stockmann?
6. What does Peter tell Tom he is going to do with Kirsten Springs in Act I Scene 2? What is Tom's response?
7. What thematic question is posed regarding Tom and Peter in Act I Scene 1?
8. What does Peter assert about the springs in Act I Scene 1?
9. What does Tom assert of Peter's views in Act I Scene 1?
10. What does Hovstad note about Aslaksen in Act I Scene 2? What does Hovstad intend to do when he departs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the characters of Petra and Tom Stockmann. What similarities do they share? What differences?
Essay Topic 2
In "An Enemy of the People", the mayor attempts to keep the public from the information in the report to protect himself. In your own community, do you recall any instance in which a local government, business, factory, school district, newspaper, or another entity attempted to withhold vital information from the public?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the finances of both the paper and the baths. Do either or both rely on taxpayer money? What is the principle source of revenue of each?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)