|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Catherine is concerned that what will suffer if Tom has a public fight with Peter in Act I Scene 2?
2. Where did Arthur Miller's adaptation of "An Enemy of the People" first open?
3. How many pages is the report?
4. Catherine boasts in Act I Scene 1 that Tom literally "invented" what?
5. Where is Tom employed as an adviser?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom tell Hovstad to do regarding the report in Act I Scene 1? What is the immediate reaction to the news?
2. What does Peter say of his reputation in Act I Scene 2?
3. What does Peter tell Tom he is going to do with Kirsten Springs in Act I Scene 2? What is Tom's response?
4. What guests come in as Catherine's father is leaving in Act I Scene 1? What discussion do they have?
5. Who has arrived at the beginning of Act I Scene 1? Where is Tom Stockmann?
6. What announcement does Tom make after reading his letter in Act I Scene 1?
7. How long had Tom suspected problems with the water? How did he come to his actions in Act I Scene 1?
8. What children does Tom return with in Act I Scene 1? What does he remark about his children and how does this impact Peter?
9. Discuss the truth in Act I Scene 2. How does the playwright establish "the truth" in the narrative?
10. In Act I Scene 2, what does Tom awaken to? What does he suspect of Peter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the scene between Peter and Tom in Act I Scene 2, identifying the actions and objectives of each character. What does Peter want Tom to do? How does he go about getting his objective met?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the phrase "blood is thicker than water" and how this phrase applies in the play. To whom are Peter and Tom each the most committed to in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the life and career of Arthur Miller. What did Miller write about his decision to adapt Ibsen's "An Enemy of the People"?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)