|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hovstad mentions to the mayor in Act I Scene 1 that the newspaper was running an article written by whom?
2. What department's finding in Act I Scene 2 states that if the overhaul of the water system is necessary, it is not an emergency and can wait?
3. According to Tom, what must be dismantled in order for the population to be safe?
4. In Act I Scene 2, Hovstad says he sees this situation as his opportunity to keep his word in doing what?
5. What is the name of Tom Stockmann's maid?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom tell Hovstad to do regarding the report in Act I Scene 1? What is the immediate reaction to the news?
2. According to Tom in Act I Scene 1, what must be done to correct the problem with the water? What does he do with the report?
3. In Act I Scene 2, what does Tom awaken to? What does he suspect of Peter?
4. Who is Mr. Aslaksen and why does he come by in Act I Scene 2?
5. What thematic question is posed regarding Tom and Peter in Act I Scene 1?
6. What does Hovstad note about Aslaksen in Act I Scene 2? What does Hovstad intend to do when he departs?
7. What children does Tom return with in Act I Scene 1? What does he remark about his children and how does this impact Peter?
8. What does Peter assert about the springs in Act I Scene 1?
9. What does Hovstad see the situation as in Act I Scene 2? What is his principle personal battle?
10. What conversation do Tom and Hovstad share over the society in Act I Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Ibsen (and Miller) include the character of Captain Horster? What role does Horster play in the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
In "An Enemy of the People", the mayor attempts to keep the public from the information in the report to protect himself. In your own community, do you recall any instance in which a local government, business, factory, school district, newspaper, or another entity attempted to withhold vital information from the public?
Essay Topic 3
How does the term "free thinking" function in "An Enemy of the People"?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)