|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tom insists that Hovstad wait to print the report in the paper until what in Act I Scene 2?
2. Peter claims in Act I, Scene 1 that while Tom has lots of good ideas, it takes a person like himself to do what?
3. Who is convinced that Tom is trying to pull a fast one on his brother and assumes the entire story is a joke in Act I Scene 2?
4. When Peter arrives in Act I Scene 2, he expresses disappointment that Tom did what behind his back?
5. Peter Stockmann is described as nearing what age?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mr. Aslaksen and why does he come by in Act I Scene 2?
2. How long had Tom suspected problems with the water? How did he come to his actions in Act I Scene 1?
3. What does Peter say of his reputation in Act I Scene 2?
4. In Act I Scene 2, what does Tom awaken to? What does he suspect of Peter?
5. According to Tom in Act I Scene 1, what must be done to correct the problem with the water? What does he do with the report?
6. What does Hovstad see the situation as in Act I Scene 2? What is his principle personal battle?
7. What conversation do Tom and Hovstad share over the society in Act I Scene 2?
8. What does Tom assert of Peter's views in Act I Scene 1?
9. What does Peter assert about the springs in Act I Scene 1?
10. What is Peter's initial response to the report in Act I Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the finances of both the paper and the baths. Do either or both rely on taxpayer money? What is the principle source of revenue of each?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the correlation between the environmental debate in the play and our society today. How might the play reflect events such as the BP Oil Spill or Global Warming?
Essay Topic 3
If you were an attorney arguing to close the town spa, you would need evidence that the spa water is indeed contaminated. How would you obtain this evidence?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)