|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What department's finding in Act I Scene 2 states that if the overhaul of the water system is necessary, it is not an emergency and can wait?
2. In Act I Scene 2, Peter wants Tom to agree to do what to the Council rather than provide them with the damaging report?
3. Tom Stockmann theorizes that the unsafe water that pours into Kirsten Springs originates where?
4. When Peter arrives in Act I Scene 2, he expresses disappointment that Tom did what behind his back?
5. What is the name of Tom Stockmann's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conversation do Tom and Hovstad share over the society in Act I Scene 2?
2. What does Hovstad note about Aslaksen in Act I Scene 2? What does Hovstad intend to do when he departs?
3. What announcement does Tom make after reading his letter in Act I Scene 1?
4. What does Peter suggest Tom do instead of releasing the report in Act I Scene 2? What is Tom's reaction?
5. Who is Mr. Aslaksen and why does he come by in Act I Scene 2?
6. Who has arrived at the beginning of Act I Scene 1? Where is Tom Stockmann?
7. What guests come in as Catherine's father is leaving in Act I Scene 1? What discussion do they have?
8. What does Hovstad see the situation as in Act I Scene 2? What is his principle personal battle?
9. What does Tom allude to in Act I Scene 1 that implies the coming problems?
10. What is Peter's initial response to the report in Act I Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the phrase "blood is thicker than water" and how this phrase applies in the play. To whom are Peter and Tom each the most committed to in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Ibsen (and Miller) include the character of Captain Horster? What role does Horster play in the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of the print media in the narrative. What is the playwright suggesting about our own society and culture?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)