|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act I Scene 1, the mayor boasts that new medicinal bath center will be as popular as those where?
2. What aspect of a water system overhaul does Peter accuse Tom of overlooking in Act I Scene 2?
3. Where did Arthur Miller's adaptation of "An Enemy of the People" first open?
4. In Act I Scene 1, Petra remembers that Tom warned the town not to build the Springs downstream from what?
5. In Act I Scene 1, Tom announces that the baths which were so costly to develop are a what?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Tom in Act I Scene 1, what must be done to correct the problem with the water? What does he do with the report?
2. What announcement does Tom make after reading his letter in Act I Scene 1?
3. What does Peter tell Tom he is going to do with Kirsten Springs in Act I Scene 2? What is Tom's response?
4. What does Hovstad note about Aslaksen in Act I Scene 2? What does Hovstad intend to do when he departs?
5. Discuss the truth in Act I Scene 2. How does the playwright establish "the truth" in the narrative?
6. What does Peter assert about the springs in Act I Scene 1?
7. What guests come in as Catherine's father is leaving in Act I Scene 1? What discussion do they have?
8. What is Peter's initial response to the report in Act I Scene 2?
9. What does Tom allude to in Act I Scene 1 that implies the coming problems?
10. In Act I Scene 2, what does Tom awaken to? What does he suspect of Peter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "An Enemy of the People", the mayor attempts to keep the public from the information in the report to protect himself. In your own community, do you recall any instance in which a local government, business, factory, school district, newspaper, or another entity attempted to withhold vital information from the public?
Essay Topic 2
How does the term "free thinking" function in "An Enemy of the People"?
Essay Topic 3
Newspapers today pride themselves on their willingness to print the truth. But do they always print the truth? Or do they sometimes bow to the same forces that pressured Hovstad to abandon publication of Dr. Stockmann's story?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)