|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word means the process or an instance of obstructing legislation by means of long speeches and other delaying tactics?
2. What does Catherine wonder about the people outside in the beginning of Act II Scene 2?
(a) If they are violent.
(b) Who they are.
(c) Why they don't come in.
(d) What they want.
3. In Act II Scene 2, when Tom begins to speak some in the crowd complain that there is no what for the meeting?
4. What does Hovstad call Tom during his speech in Act II Scene 2?
(a) A murderer.
(b) An aristocrat.
(c) A traitor.
(d) A juvenile.
5. In Act II Scene 2, Peter promises that if the springs are allowed to remain as they are, within how many years everyone in town will be wealthier, schools will be improved, the population will grow?
Short Answer Questions
1. Kirsten Springs Institute is what type of corporation?
2. In Act II Scene 1, Billing suggests to Hovstad that they seek the support of Tom to do what?
3. What is Tom surprised to see leaning against the table in the office in Act II Scene 1?
4. Only the town drunk and who vote against declaring Tom an enemy of the people in Act II Scene 2?
5. What word means that kept or keeping within reasonable or proper limits; not extreme, excessive, or intense?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the crowd complain about in the beginning of Tom's speaking in Act II Scene 2? How is this assuaged?
2. What does Peter promise the town if the springs remain? What if they are taken away?
3. What does Tom tell Hovstad to do when he enters in Act II Scene 1? Why?
4. What does Tom response when several in the crowd call him a revolutionist in Act II Scene 2?
5. What solution to the problem does Peter supply in Act II Scene 1?
6. What conversation does Catherine have with Horster and Billing in the beginning of Act II Scene 2?
7. What does Billing say of Aslaksen in Act II Scene 1? What is Hovstad's reply?
8. What suggestion about Tom does Billing make in Act II Scene 1?
9. After Tom leaves in Act II Scene 1, What do Hovstad and Aslaksen discuss about him?
10. What argument do Hovstad and Peter have in Act II Scene 1?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)