|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Tom leaves in Act II Scene 1, Hovstad comments to Aslaksen that Tom might prove to be what?
(a) A wolf in sheeps clothing.
(b) The messiah.
(c) Valuable to them.
2. What is the setting of Act II Scene 2?
(a) Mr. Aslaksen's house.
(b) Captain Horster's house.
(c) Mr. Billing's house.
(d) Mr. Hovstad's house.
3. What does Hovstad call Tom during his speech in Act II Scene 2?
(a) A traitor.
(b) A murderer.
(c) An aristocrat.
(d) A juvenile.
4. Given little other options, in the end of Act II Scene 1, Tom vows to do what to spread the truth about the water system?
(a) March through town.
(b) Yell from the steps of the Mayor's office.
(c) Publish his own paper.
(d) Tell everybody at church.
5. Against the objection of some, Aslaksen is named what in Act II Scene 2?
(a) A liar.
(b) A lunatic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peter absentmindedly forget at the office when he leaves in Act II Scene 1?
2. Who suggests that Tom act with moderation in Act II Scene 1 when Tom tells Hovstad that Peter has declared war?
3. Hovstad is suddenly torn in Act II Scene 1 and entertains the idea that perhaps Tom is what?
4. Who is allowed to speak first at the gathering in Act II Scene 2?
5. In Act II Scene 1, to show Peter that his position is that of the people, Tom puts on what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the crowd complain about in the beginning of Tom's speaking in Act II Scene 2? How is this assuaged?
2. What suggestion about Tom does Billing make in Act II Scene 1?
3. What does Peter promise the town if the springs remain? What if they are taken away?
4. What solution to the problem does Peter supply in Act II Scene 1?
5. What is Billing doing in the beginning of Act II Scene 1? Who is he with?
6. How does Hovstad respond to Petra's questioning in Act II Scene 1? What does Petra do?
7. After Tom leaves in Act II Scene 1, What do Hovstad and Aslaksen discuss about him?
8. What does Peter inform Aslaksen and the others in the office about taxation in Act II Scene 1? What is the response?
9. How does Peter filibuster Tom's speech in Act II Scene 2?
10. Where does Act II Scene 2 begin? Why is Horster a part of the assembly?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)