|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom tell Peter that his cane represents in Act II Scene 1?
(a) The needle of a compass.
(b) The baton of command.
(c) The letter "I."
(d) A fishing pole.
2. In Act II Scene 2, Tom explains to the crowd that the dream he had for the Springs was to provide a way to do what?
(a) Cure the sick and dying.
(c) Increase revenue.
(d) Stockpile water.
3. Where was Jesus crucified?
4. In Act II Scene 2, Peter makes a motion that Tom be prohibited from what?
(b) Reading the report.
(c) Taking the pledge.
(d) Standing watch.
5. In Act II Scene 1 it is pointed out that Billing has applied for a job as what?
(b) Secretary of the Magistrate.
(c) Tax collector.
Short Answer Questions
1. Peter claims in Act II Scene 2 that he only wants the town to understand that his brother's motive is to ridicule and destroy what?
2. When Tom returns in Act II Scene 1, he emphasizes again to Aslaksen that he does not want to be treated like what?
3. In Act II Scene 1, Hovstad corrects Peter's characterization of the contamination as what?
4. In Act II Scene 2, Tom claims that what is never right until it does right?
5. What slang term used by Billings refers to someone who is cowardly or afraid?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tom describe to the crowd his objectives in bringing the springs to town in Act II Scene 2?
2. What does the crowd complain about in the beginning of Tom's speaking in Act II Scene 2? How is this assuaged?
3. Who is allowed to talk first in the meeting? What does he state?
4. What argument do Hovstad and Peter have in Act II Scene 1?
5. What does Tom do with Peter's hat and coat in the end of Act II Scene 1?
6. What does Tom tell Hovstad to do when he enters in Act II Scene 1? Why?
7. After Tom leaves in Act II Scene 1, What do Hovstad and Aslaksen discuss about him?
8. Who suggests Tom be declared an enemy of the people? What is the crowd's reaction?
9. What does Billing say of Aslaksen in Act II Scene 1? What is Hovstad's reply?
10. What suggestion about Tom does Billing make in Act II Scene 1?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)