|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tom informs the crowd in Act II Scene 2 that the gathering was advertised as what instead of a meeting?
(a) Public forum.
(b) Get together.
2. What refers to a government by the people or their elected representatives?
3. Only the town drunk and who vote against declaring Tom an enemy of the people in Act II Scene 2?
(a) Mr. Aslaksen.
(b) Mr. Billing.
(c) Mr. Hovstad.
(d) Captain Horster.
4. In Act II Scene 2, Tom explains to the crowd that the dream he had for the Springs was NOT to do what?
(a) Bring in tourists.
(b) Poison the town.
(c) Create a fishing hole.
(d) Open a waterpark.
5. In Act II Scene 1, Hovstad corrects Peter's characterization of the contamination as what?
(a) A nightmare.
(b) A dream.
(c) A tall tale.
(d) A hallucination.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act II Scene 1, Catherine lashes out at Hovstad for being what?
2. Kirsten Springs Institute is what type of corporation?
3. Who enters the newspaper office with a book that Hovstad asked to be translated for publication in the newspaper in Act II Scene 1?
4. Catherine asks Billing in Act II Scene 2 why he printed whose editorial instead of the report?
5. What compromise does Tom reach when reading the report at the gathering in Act II Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tom describe to the crowd his objectives in bringing the springs to town in Act II Scene 2?
2. Who suggests Tom be declared an enemy of the people? What is the crowd's reaction?
3. Who does Tom congratulate in the beginning of his speech in Act II Scene 2? What is the response?
4. What conversation does Petra have with Peter in Act II Scene 2?
5. How and why does Peter enter the office in Act II Scene 1?
6. What suggestion about Tom does Billing make in Act II Scene 1?
7. What does Billing say of Aslaksen in Act II Scene 1? What is Hovstad's reply?
8. Where does Act II Scene 2 begin? Why is Horster a part of the assembly?
9. What is Billing doing in the beginning of Act II Scene 1? Who is he with?
10. What does Peter promise the town if the springs remain? What if they are taken away?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)