|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kirsten Springs Institute is what type of corporation?
2. Who suggests that Tom act with moderation in Act II Scene 1 when Tom tells Hovstad that Peter has declared war?
(c) Catherine Stockmann.
(d) Peter Stockmann.
3. In Act II Scene 1, Hovstad corrects Peter's characterization of the contamination as what?
(a) A tall tale.
(b) A nightmare.
(c) A hallucination.
(d) A dream.
4. What is Tom surprised to see leaning against the table in the office in Act II Scene 1?
(a) His brother's cane.
(b) An umbrella.
(d) A sword.
5. When Tom enters in Act II Scene 1, he tells Hovstad to do what?
(a) Print the report immediately.
(b) Edit some of the report.
(c) Give him back the report.
(d) Destroy the report.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tom discusses in Act II Scene 2 the fact that Galileo was brought to his knees for teaching what?
2. What word means thoroughgoing or extreme, especially as regards change from accepted or traditional forms?
3. What refers to a person authorized to examine publications, theatrical presentations, films, letters, etc, in order to suppress in whole or part those considered obscene or politically unacceptable?
4. In Act II Scene 2, Tom explains to the crowd that the dream he had for the Springs was to provide a way to do what?
5. In Act II Scene 2, when Tom begins to speak some in the crowd complain that there is no what for the meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What argument do Hovstad and Peter have in Act II Scene 1?
2. What is Billing doing in the beginning of Act II Scene 1? Who is he with?
3. Who suggests Tom be declared an enemy of the people? What is the crowd's reaction?
4. How and why does Peter enter the office in Act II Scene 1?
5. What does Tom do with Peter's hat and coat in the end of Act II Scene 1?
6. What does Peter inform Aslaksen and the others in the office about taxation in Act II Scene 1? What is the response?
7. Who is allowed to talk first in the meeting? What does he state?
8. How does Peter filibuster Tom's speech in Act II Scene 2?
9. How does Tom describe to the crowd his objectives in bringing the springs to town in Act II Scene 2?
10. Who does Tom congratulate in the beginning of his speech in Act II Scene 2? What is the response?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)