|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hovstad is suddenly torn in Act II Scene 1 and entertains the idea that perhaps Tom is what?
(a) A liar.
(b) A traitor.
(d) An egomaniac.
2. Who suggests that Tom act with moderation in Act II Scene 1 when Tom tells Hovstad that Peter has declared war?
(c) Peter Stockmann.
(d) Catherine Stockmann.
3. What refers to a form of government in which god or a deity is recognized as the supreme civil ruler?
4. In his speech in Act II Scene 2, Tom congratulates Hovstad for his what?
5. Tom leaves the office after speaking with Hovstad in Act II Scene 1 because who is waiting for him?
(b) A patient.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act II Scene 1, Hovstad corrects Peter's characterization of the contamination as what?
2. In Act II Scene 2, Billing tells Catherine that the meeting will prove to not be a place for what?
3. In Act II Scene 1, Billing suggests to Hovstad that they seek the support of Tom to do what?
4. What refers to a person authorized to examine publications, theatrical presentations, films, letters, etc, in order to suppress in whole or part those considered obscene or politically unacceptable?
5. Who in Act II Scene 1 wants the article limited to the current matter and is not in favor of going after the entire city administration?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom response when several in the crowd call him a revolutionist in Act II Scene 2?
2. What suggestion about Tom does Billing make in Act II Scene 1?
3. What does Peter inform Aslaksen and the others in the office about taxation in Act II Scene 1? What is the response?
4. After Tom leaves in Act II Scene 1, What do Hovstad and Aslaksen discuss about him?
5. How does Hovstad respond to Petra's questioning in Act II Scene 1? What does Petra do?
6. How does Tom describe to the crowd his objectives in bringing the springs to town in Act II Scene 2?
7. What does the crowd complain about in the beginning of Tom's speaking in Act II Scene 2? How is this assuaged?
8. What conversation does Catherine have with Horster and Billing in the beginning of Act II Scene 2?
9. Where does Act II Scene 2 begin? Why is Horster a part of the assembly?
10. What solution to the problem does Peter supply in Act II Scene 1?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)