|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act II Scene 1, Peter supplies the most "practical" solution, which is what?
(a) The water is corrected gradually.
(b) To ignore the report.
(c) Accuse Tom of lying.
(d) Tax the townspeople.
2. What compromise does Tom reach when reading the report at the gathering in Act II Scene 2?
(a) To talk for only ten minutes.
(b) To not refer to the Institute by name.
(c) To not offend anyone.
(d) To talk softly.
3. Who suggests that Tom act with moderation in Act II Scene 1 when Tom tells Hovstad that Peter has declared war?
(b) Peter Stockmann.
(d) Catherine Stockmann.
4. Who suggests that Tom be considered an enemy of the people in Act II Scene 2?
(a) Captain Horster.
(b) Mr. Hovstad.
(c) Mr. Billing.
(d) Mr. Aslaksen.
5. What relative of Tom Stockmann's is exceptionally wealthy?
(d) Mr. Kill.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who enters the newspaper office with a book that Hovstad asked to be translated for publication in the newspaper in Act II Scene 1?
2. In Act II Scene 1, Catherine lashes out at Hovstad for being what?
3. In the beginning of Act II Scene 1, Hovstad comments that even who will be rebelling if the Mayor rejects the report that calls for reconstruction of the water supply system?
4. Kirsten Springs Institute is what type of corporation?
5. What is the setting of Act II Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Billing doing in the beginning of Act II Scene 1? Who is he with?
2. What conversation does Catherine have with Horster and Billing in the beginning of Act II Scene 2?
3. How does Peter filibuster Tom's speech in Act II Scene 2?
4. What does Tom threaten when the crowd attempts to silence him in Act II Scene 2?
5. What does Tom tell Hovstad to do when he enters in Act II Scene 1? Why?
6. What suggestion about Tom does Billing make in Act II Scene 1?
7. Where does Act II Scene 2 begin? Why is Horster a part of the assembly?
8. What does Peter promise the town if the springs remain? What if they are taken away?
9. Who suggests Tom be declared an enemy of the people? What is the crowd's reaction?
10. How does Tom describe to the crowd his objectives in bringing the springs to town in Act II Scene 2?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)