|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What refers to a form of government in which god or a deity is recognized as the supreme civil ruler?
2. What does Catherine wonder about the people outside in the beginning of Act II Scene 2?
(a) Who they are.
(b) Why they don't come in.
(c) What they want.
(d) If they are violent.
3. What word refers to a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles that one does not really possess?
4. What does Hovstad call Tom during his speech in Act II Scene 2?
(a) A traitor.
(b) A murderer.
(c) A juvenile.
(d) An aristocrat.
5. What refers to a government by the people or their elected representatives?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act II Scene 1, Peter supplies the most "practical" solution, which is what?
2. In Act II Scene 2, Tom explains that he had to hold a lecture since no one would rent him what?
3. Tom leaves the office after speaking with Hovstad in Act II Scene 1 because who is waiting for him?
4. In Act II Scene 1, Hovstad corrects Peter's characterization of the contamination as what?
5. In the beginning of Act II Scene 1, Hovstad tells Billing to lower his voice because who is in earshot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conversation does Catherine have with Horster and Billing in the beginning of Act II Scene 2?
2. How does Hovstad respond to Petra's questioning in Act II Scene 1? What does Petra do?
3. What does Tom do with Peter's hat and coat in the end of Act II Scene 1?
4. Who suggests Tom be declared an enemy of the people? What is the crowd's reaction?
5. What does the crowd complain about in the beginning of Tom's speaking in Act II Scene 2? How is this assuaged?
6. Who is allowed to talk first in the meeting? What does he state?
7. How does Tom describe to the crowd his objectives in bringing the springs to town in Act II Scene 2?
8. What does Peter inform Aslaksen and the others in the office about taxation in Act II Scene 1? What is the response?
9. What solution to the problem does Peter supply in Act II Scene 1?
10. What does Tom tell Hovstad to do when he enters in Act II Scene 1? Why?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)