|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act II Scene 1, Billing is exhilarated because he claims this could be the day what?
(a) Truth was born.
(b) Brothers battled.
(c) Questions were answered.
(d) The town starts to die.
2. Which character claims to be a radical liberal?
3. Given little other options, in the end of Act II Scene 1, Tom vows to do what to spread the truth about the water system?
(a) Publish his own paper.
(b) March through town.
(c) Yell from the steps of the Mayor's office.
(d) Tell everybody at church.
4. What word means the process or an instance of obstructing legislation by means of long speeches and other delaying tactics?
5. In Act II Scene 1, Peter supplies the most "practical" solution, which is what?
(a) The water is corrected gradually.
(b) Accuse Tom of lying.
(c) To ignore the report.
(d) Tax the townspeople.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to a person authorized to examine publications, theatrical presentations, films, letters, etc, in order to suppress in whole or part those considered obscene or politically unacceptable?
2. Where was Jesus crucified?
3. In Act II Scene 1, Peter angrily declares that the report is based on hatred of what?
4. What refers to a form of government in which god or a deity is recognized as the supreme civil ruler?
5. How does Peter enter in Act II Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Petra bring to the office in Act II Scene 1? What does she remark about it?
2. What does Peter inform Aslaksen and the others in the office about taxation in Act II Scene 1? What is the response?
3. What conversation does Petra have with Peter in Act II Scene 2?
4. Who suggests Tom be declared an enemy of the people? What is the crowd's reaction?
5. What solution to the problem does Peter supply in Act II Scene 1?
6. How does Tom describe to the crowd his objectives in bringing the springs to town in Act II Scene 2?
7. What conversation does Catherine have with Horster and Billing in the beginning of Act II Scene 2?
8. How does Hovstad respond to Petra's questioning in Act II Scene 1? What does Petra do?
9. How does Peter filibuster Tom's speech in Act II Scene 2?
10. What does Tom tell Hovstad to do when he enters in Act II Scene 1? Why?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)