|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Tom, what must be dismantled in order for the population to be safe?
(a) The mill.
(b) The springs.
(c) The hospital.
(d) The tannery.
2. Tom claims in Act I Scene 1 that without something to fight for, you are what?
3. From whose original work did Arthur Miller adapt "An Enemy of the People"?
(a) Henrik Ibsen.
(b) Edgar Allan Poe.
(c) Lewis Carroll.
(d) Charles Dickens.
4. Hovstad mentions to the mayor in Act I Scene 1 that the newspaper was running an article written by whom?
5. Tom insists that Hovstad wait to print the report in the paper until what in Act I Scene 2?
(a) A second sample is tested.
(b) He talks to Peter.
(c) He informs the city council.
(d) The next day.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who separates Peter and Tom when they almost come to blows in Act I Scene 2?
2. Who is the mayor of the town in "An Enemy of the People"?
3. What is the setting of Act I Scene 2?
4. What did Peter say in his note to Tom in the beginning of Act I Scene 2?
5. Who is convinced that Tom is trying to pull a fast one on his brother and assumes the entire story is a joke in Act I Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who stops by Tom's residence first in Act I Scene 2? Why?
2. Discuss the truth in Act I Scene 2. How does the playwright establish "the truth" in the narrative?
3. According to Tom in Act I Scene 1, what must be done to correct the problem with the water? What does he do with the report?
4. What does Peter tell Tom he is going to do with Kirsten Springs in Act I Scene 2? What is Tom's response?
5. Who has arrived at the beginning of Act I Scene 1? Where is Tom Stockmann?
6. In Act I Scene 2, what does Tom awaken to? What does he suspect of Peter?
7. What does Peter say of his reputation in Act I Scene 2?
8. Who is Mr. Aslaksen and why does he come by in Act I Scene 2?
9. What does Peter suggest Tom do instead of releasing the report in Act I Scene 2? What is Tom's reaction?
10. What does Tom tell Hovstad to do regarding the report in Act I Scene 1? What is the immediate reaction to the news?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)