|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Tom Stockmann's eldest child?
2. When Peter arrives in Act I Scene 2, he expresses disappointment that Tom did what behind his back?
(a) Conducted the investigation.
(b) Paid for Hovstad's bail.
(c) Spoken with Sarah.
(d) Spent the inheritance.
3. What did Peter say in his note to Tom in the beginning of Act I Scene 2?
(a) He commissioned his own report.
(b) Don't publish the report.
(c) Disregard the findings.
(d) He'd drop by later.
4. What is the setting of Act I Scene 1?
(a) A church.
(b) Tom Stockmann's residence.
(c) The springs.
(d) The mayor's office.
5. Who is the editor of the The People's Daily Messenger?
(a) Mr. Billing.
(b) Mr. Kill.
(c) Mr. Hovstad.
(d) Mr. Aslaksen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Tom go to help the poor and afflicted when he was younger?
2. Hovstad leaves in Act I Scene 2 planning to do what until the report is printed in the paper?
3. What word refers to a person who betrays another, a cause, or any trust?
4. When the boys come home from school and sense that their parents are in the middle of a conflict in Act I Scene 2, Tom tells them that he will be teaching them what?
5. What is the profession of Tom Stockmann's eldest child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What argument do Peter and Catherine have in Act I Scene 1?
2. What does Hovstad note about Aslaksen in Act I Scene 2? What does Hovstad intend to do when he departs?
3. What does Peter tell Tom he is going to do with Kirsten Springs in Act I Scene 2? What is Tom's response?
4. In Act I Scene 2, what does Tom awaken to? What does he suspect of Peter?
5. What children does Tom return with in Act I Scene 1? What does he remark about his children and how does this impact Peter?
6. What does Tom tell Hovstad to do regarding the report in Act I Scene 1? What is the immediate reaction to the news?
7. What conversation do Tom and Hovstad share over the society in Act I Scene 2?
8. With whom did Peter have a discussion about the issue in Act I Scene 2? What was the conclusion?
9. Discuss the truth in Act I Scene 2. How does the playwright establish "the truth" in the narrative?
10. Who has arrived at the beginning of Act I Scene 1? Where is Tom Stockmann?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)