|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From whose original work did Arthur Miller adapt "An Enemy of the People"?
(a) Lewis Carroll.
(b) Edgar Allan Poe.
(c) Henrik Ibsen.
(d) Charles Dickens.
2. What department's finding in Act I Scene 2 states that if the overhaul of the water system is necessary, it is not an emergency and can wait?
(a) City Engineering.
(b) Environmental Protection.
(d) Water Resource.
3. Who does Mr. Billing urge to stay for dinner in the beginning of Act I Scene 1?
(a) Captain Horster.
(b) Mr. Kill.
(c) Mr. Aslaksen.
(d) Mr. Hovstad.
4. Where did Arthur Miller's adaptation of "An Enemy of the People" first open?
(a) Broadhurst Theater.
(b) Imperial Theatre.
(c) Ambassador Theatre.
(d) Elizabethan Theater.
5. Tom loves to watch his kids eat since they are the ones who will do what?
(a) Grow up someday.
(b) Reinvent the wheel.
(c) Stir up the future.
(d) Look after him when he's old.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the protagonist in "An Enemy of the People"?
2. Who is Tom Stockmann's father-in-law?
3. In Act I Scene 1, the mayor boasts that new medicinal bath center will be as popular as those where?
4. What is the setting of Act I Scene 2?
5. When was the original play "An Enemy of the People" published?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the truth in Act I Scene 2. How does the playwright establish "the truth" in the narrative?
2. According to Tom in Act I Scene 1, what must be done to correct the problem with the water? What does he do with the report?
3. What does Tom allude to in Act I Scene 1 that implies the coming problems?
4. What does Peter tell Tom he is going to do with Kirsten Springs in Act I Scene 2? What is Tom's response?
5. What announcement does Tom make after reading his letter in Act I Scene 1?
6. What does Hovstad see the situation as in Act I Scene 2? What is his principle personal battle?
7. What thematic question is posed regarding Tom and Peter in Act I Scene 1?
8. How long had Tom suspected problems with the water? How did he come to his actions in Act I Scene 1?
9. Who is Mr. Aslaksen and why does he come by in Act I Scene 2?
10. What is Peter's initial response to the report in Act I Scene 2?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)