|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who starred in Miller's premier of "An Enemy of the People"?
(a) Victor Mature.
(b) John Barrymore.
(c) Cary Grant.
(d) Fredric March.
2. Who is convinced that Tom is trying to pull a fast one on his brother and assumes the entire story is a joke in Act I Scene 2?
(a) Mr. Aslaksen.
(b) Peter Stockmann.
(c) Mr. Kill.
(d) Mr. Hovstad.
3. What is causing the waste in the water, according to the report?
(a) Oil drilling.
(b) The tannery.
(c) A paper mill.
(d) A powerplant.
4. Catherine boasts in Act I Scene 1 that Tom literally "invented" what?
(a) Carlsbad Springs.
(b) Kirsten Springs.
(c) Merrimac Springs.
(d) Mammoth Springs.
5. What is the name of Tom Stockmann's wife?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Tom Stockmann's eldest child?
2. In Act I Scene 2, Peter wants Tom to agree to do what to the Council rather than provide them with the damaging report?
3. In what year did Arthur Miller's adaptation of "An Enemy of the People" premiere?
4. How much does Peter say an overhaul of the water system would cost in Act I Scene 2?
5. According to Tom, what must be dismantled in order for the population to be safe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom tell Hovstad to do regarding the report in Act I Scene 1? What is the immediate reaction to the news?
2. What does Peter say of his reputation in Act I Scene 2?
3. Who stops by Tom's residence first in Act I Scene 2? Why?
4. What does Hovstad see the situation as in Act I Scene 2? What is his principle personal battle?
5. What does Peter tell Tom he is going to do with Kirsten Springs in Act I Scene 2? What is Tom's response?
6. What does Peter suggest Tom do instead of releasing the report in Act I Scene 2? What is Tom's reaction?
7. What is Peter's initial response to the report in Act I Scene 2?
8. What thematic question is posed regarding Tom and Peter in Act I Scene 1?
9. With whom did Peter have a discussion about the issue in Act I Scene 2? What was the conclusion?
10. Discuss the truth in Act I Scene 2. How does the playwright establish "the truth" in the narrative?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)