|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What aspect of a water system overhaul does Peter accuse Tom of overlooking in Act I Scene 2?
(a) Raw materials.
2. What is the setting of Act I Scene 1?
(a) A church.
(b) Tom Stockmann's residence.
(c) The springs.
(d) The mayor's office.
3. What character in the play shares the most characteristics with Tom Stockmann?
4. Who is the assistant editor of The People's Daily Messenger?
(a) Mr. Kill.
(b) Mr. Billing.
(c) Mr. Aslaksen.
(d) Mr. Hovstad.
5. Tom claims that Peter's views are closed and narrow due to his lack of what?
(d) Exposure to the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tom claims in Act I Scene 1 that without something to fight for, you are what?
2. What refers to a verified or indisputable fact, proposition, principle, or the like?
3. What does Peter say would plummet if the report were to be released in Act I Scene 2?
4. Tom Stockmann theorizes that the unsafe water that pours into Kirsten Springs originates where?
5. What is the profession of Tom Stockmann's eldest child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What children does Tom return with in Act I Scene 1? What does he remark about his children and how does this impact Peter?
2. Discuss the truth in Act I Scene 2. How does the playwright establish "the truth" in the narrative?
3. How long had Tom suspected problems with the water? How did he come to his actions in Act I Scene 1?
4. Who stops by Tom's residence first in Act I Scene 2? Why?
5. What does Peter say of his reputation in Act I Scene 2?
6. What does Tom tell Hovstad to do regarding the report in Act I Scene 1? What is the immediate reaction to the news?
7. What thematic question is posed regarding Tom and Peter in Act I Scene 1?
8. What does Peter assert about the springs in Act I Scene 1?
9. What argument do Peter and Catherine have in Act I Scene 1?
10. What announcement does Tom make after reading his letter in Act I Scene 1?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)