|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Tom Stockmann's eldest child?
2. In Act I Scene 2, Peter tells Tom that he is concerned about his what?
3. In what year did Arthur Miller's adaptation of "An Enemy of the People" premiere?
4. What is the name of Tom Stockmann's wife?
5. Catherine boasts in Act I Scene 1 that Tom literally "invented" what?
(a) Carlsbad Springs.
(b) Merrimac Springs.
(c) Mammoth Springs.
(d) Kirsten Springs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Peter claims in Act I, Scene 1 that while Tom has lots of good ideas, it takes a person like himself to do what?
2. What beverages are Tom, Catherine, Hovstad, and Captain Horster drinking when Tom's eldest child enters in Act I Scene 1?
3. What refers to a verified or indisputable fact, proposition, principle, or the like?
4. Catherine stuns Tom and Petra in Act I Scene 2 when she says, "What good is truth, without" what?
5. Tom Stockmann theorizes that the unsafe water that pours into Kirsten Springs originates where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Peter's initial response to the report in Act I Scene 2?
2. With whom did Peter have a discussion about the issue in Act I Scene 2? What was the conclusion?
3. What does Tom allude to in Act I Scene 1 that implies the coming problems?
4. What does Tom assert of Peter's views in Act I Scene 1?
5. What does Hovstad see the situation as in Act I Scene 2? What is his principle personal battle?
6. What does Peter assert about the springs in Act I Scene 1?
7. Discuss the truth in Act I Scene 2. How does the playwright establish "the truth" in the narrative?
8. What does Tom tell Hovstad to do regarding the report in Act I Scene 1? What is the immediate reaction to the news?
9. What does Peter tell Tom he is going to do with Kirsten Springs in Act I Scene 2? What is Tom's response?
10. What announcement does Tom make after reading his letter in Act I Scene 1?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)