|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What refers to a verified or indisputable fact, proposition, principle, or the like?
2. In what year did Arthur Miller's adaptation of "An Enemy of the People" premiere?
3. Who is Tom Stockmann's father-in-law?
(a) Captain Horster.
(d) Morten Kill.
4. In Act I Scene 2, Peter wants Tom to agree to do what to the Council rather than provide them with the damaging report?
(a) Not show up for his meeting.
(b) Tell them everything is fine.
(c) Make recommendations for improvements.
(d) Treat the incoming water.
5. Who does Hovstad accuse of being cowardly and in fear of standing up to authority in Act I Scene 2?
(a) Mr. Aslaksen.
(b) Mr. Billing.
(c) Catherine Stockmann.
(d) Tom Stockmann.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mr. Billing urge to stay for dinner in the beginning of Act I Scene 1?
2. Tom insists that Hovstad wait to print the report in the paper until what in Act I Scene 2?
3. What word refers to a person who betrays another, a cause, or any trust?
4. Who is convinced that Tom is trying to pull a fast one on his brother and assumes the entire story is a joke in Act I Scene 2?
5. When the boys come home from school and sense that their parents are in the middle of a conflict in Act I Scene 2, Tom tells them that he will be teaching them what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the truth in Act I Scene 2. How does the playwright establish "the truth" in the narrative?
2. What thematic question is posed regarding Tom and Peter in Act I Scene 1?
3. Who stops by Tom's residence first in Act I Scene 2? Why?
4. What does Hovstad note about Aslaksen in Act I Scene 2? What does Hovstad intend to do when he departs?
5. What does Peter suggest Tom do instead of releasing the report in Act I Scene 2? What is Tom's reaction?
6. Who has arrived at the beginning of Act I Scene 1? Where is Tom Stockmann?
7. Who is Mr. Aslaksen and why does he come by in Act I Scene 2?
8. What does Hovstad see the situation as in Act I Scene 2? What is his principle personal battle?
9. How long had Tom suspected problems with the water? How did he come to his actions in Act I Scene 1?
10. What guests come in as Catherine's father is leaving in Act I Scene 1? What discussion do they have?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)