|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the editor of the The People's Daily Messenger?
(a) Mr. Aslaksen.
(b) Mr. Billing.
(c) Mr. Hovstad.
(d) Mr. Kill.
2. What does Peter say would plummet if the report were to be released in Act I Scene 2?
3. Tom Stockmann theorizes that the unsafe water that pours into Kirsten Springs originates where?
(a) Coal Point.
(c) Atomic Alley.
(d) Windmill Valley.
4. What is the name of Tom Stockmann's wife?
5. In Act I Scene 2, Tom explains that there is no what but simply a scientific report?
(b) Conclusive evidence.
(c) Published findings.
(d) Reason to panic.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Tom in Act I Scene 1, the report confirms that the water contains what?
2. What character in the play shares the most characteristics with Tom Stockmann?
3. According to Tom, what must be dismantled in order for the population to be safe?
4. With whom is Tom on a walk in the beginning of Act I Scene 1?
5. Hovstad connects everything that's wrong with the town on what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Kill believe to be the reason for Tom's actions? What does Tom ask Mr. Kill to do?
2. Discuss the truth in Act I Scene 2. How does the playwright establish "the truth" in the narrative?
3. Who suggests Tom be declared an enemy of the people? What is the crowd's reaction?
4. What does the crowd complain about in the beginning of Tom's speaking in Act II Scene 2? How is this assuaged?
5. What is Billing doing in the beginning of Act II Scene 1? Who is he with?
6. What is Peter's initial response to the report in Act I Scene 2?
7. What conversation do Tom and Hovstad share over the society in Act I Scene 2?
8. How long had Tom suspected problems with the water? How did he come to his actions in Act I Scene 1?
9. What conversation does Petra have with Peter in Act II Scene 2?
10. How does the playwright conclude the play? What moral lesson is taught?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)