|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting of Act I Scene 1?
(a) Tom Stockmann's residence.
(b) The mayor's office.
(c) A church.
(d) The springs.
2. Who is the mayor of the town in "An Enemy of the People"?
(a) Captain Horster.
(b) Morten Kill.
(c) Tom Stockmann.
(d) Peter Stockmann.
3. Peter claims in Act I, Scene 1 that while Tom has lots of good ideas, it takes a person like himself to do what?
(a) Put them into action.
(b) Filter out the bad ideas.
(c) Critique them.
(d) Fine tune them.
4. Hovstad mentions to the mayor in Act I Scene 1 that the newspaper was running an article written by whom?
5. Hovstad connects everything that's wrong with the town on what?
(a) The schools.
(b) The bureaucrats.
(c) The church.
(d) The wealthy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Peter say in his note to Tom in the beginning of Act I Scene 2?
2. In Act I Scene 1, the mayor boasts that new medicinal bath center will be as popular as those where?
3. When the boys come home from school and sense that their parents are in the middle of a conflict in Act I Scene 2, Tom tells them that he will be teaching them what?
4. Who is the protagonist in "An Enemy of the People"?
5. What does Peter say would plummet if the report were to be released in Act I Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Tom in Act I Scene 1, what must be done to correct the problem with the water? What does he do with the report?
2. Who stops by Tom's residence first in Act I Scene 2? Why?
3. What is Peter's initial response to the report in Act I Scene 2?
4. Discuss the truth in Act I Scene 2. How does the playwright establish "the truth" in the narrative?
5. What does Peter assert about the springs in Act I Scene 1?
6. What argument do Peter and Catherine have in Act I Scene 1?
7. Who has arrived at the beginning of Act I Scene 1? Where is Tom Stockmann?
8. What does Tom tell Hovstad to do regarding the report in Act I Scene 1? What is the immediate reaction to the news?
9. What children does Tom return with in Act I Scene 1? What does he remark about his children and how does this impact Peter?
10. What does Peter suggest Tom do instead of releasing the report in Act I Scene 2? What is Tom's reaction?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)