|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From whose original work did Arthur Miller adapt "An Enemy of the People"?
(a) Edgar Allan Poe.
(b) Lewis Carroll.
(c) Charles Dickens.
(d) Henrik Ibsen.
2. Who is the assistant editor of The People's Daily Messenger?
(a) Mr. Billing.
(b) Mr. Hovstad.
(c) Mr. Aslaksen.
(d) Mr. Kill.
3. What does Tom's eldest child bring to him in Act I Scene 1?
(a) A letter.
(b) A gift.
(c) A jacket.
(d) A briefcase.
4. When the boys come home from school and sense that their parents are in the middle of a conflict in Act I Scene 2, Tom tells them that he will be teaching them what?
(a) The definition of corruption.
(b) What the truth is.
(c) What a man is.
(d) How the world works.
5. Who is convinced that Tom is trying to pull a fast one on his brother and assumes the entire story is a joke in Act I Scene 2?
(a) Mr. Hovstad.
(b) Mr. Aslaksen.
(c) Mr. Kill.
(d) Peter Stockmann.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sent Tom a letter in Act I Scene 1?
2. In Act I Scene 2, Hovstad says he sees this situation as his opportunity to keep his word in doing what?
3. How old is Ejlif?
4. What character in the play shares the most characteristics with Tom Stockmann?
5. What is the name of Tom Stockmann's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Kill tell Tom the people are really angry about in Act III?
2. What does Peter assert about the springs in Act I Scene 1?
3. What are Tom and Catherine doing in the beginning of Act III?
4. What does Peter tell Tom he is going to do with Kirsten Springs in Act I Scene 2? What is Tom's response?
5. What suggestion about Tom does Billing make in Act II Scene 1?
6. What conversation does Petra have with Peter in Act II Scene 2?
7. How long had Tom suspected problems with the water? How did he come to his actions in Act I Scene 1?
8. Who does Tom congratulate in the beginning of his speech in Act II Scene 2? What is the response?
9. What does Peter promise the town if the springs remain? What if they are taken away?
10. Discuss the truth in Act I Scene 2. How does the playwright establish "the truth" in the narrative?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)