|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act I Scene 2, Hovstad claims to have been what his entire life?
(b) A bird watcher.
(d) An underdog.
2. Where did Arthur Miller's adaptation of "An Enemy of the People" first open?
(a) Broadhurst Theater.
(b) Ambassador Theatre.
(c) Elizabethan Theater.
(d) Imperial Theatre.
3. Who starred in Miller's premier of "An Enemy of the People"?
(a) Victor Mature.
(b) John Barrymore.
(c) Fredric March.
(d) Cary Grant.
4. In Act I Scene 2, Hovstad refers to the situation as what and plans to portray it as such in the newspaper?
(a) An epidemic.
(b) A joke.
(c) Very interesting.
(d) A scandal.
5. According to Tom in Act I Scene 1, the report confirms that the water contains what?
(a) Infectious organic matter.
(d) Harmful bacteria.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is convinced that Tom is trying to pull a fast one on his brother and assumes the entire story is a joke in Act I Scene 2?
2. How many pages is the report?
3. What is the name of Tom Stockmann's eldest child?
4. Peter Stockmann is described as nearing what age?
5. Hovstad mentions to the mayor in Act I Scene 1 that the newspaper was running an article written by whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who has arrived at the beginning of Act I Scene 1? Where is Tom Stockmann?
2. What does Hovstad note about Aslaksen in Act I Scene 2? What does Hovstad intend to do when he departs?
3. What does Peter assert about the springs in Act I Scene 1?
4. Who stops by Tom's residence first in Act I Scene 2? Why?
5. Discuss the truth in Act I Scene 2. How does the playwright establish "the truth" in the narrative?
6. In Act I Scene 2, what does Tom awaken to? What does he suspect of Peter?
7. What does Tom tell Hovstad to do regarding the report in Act I Scene 1? What is the immediate reaction to the news?
8. What does Peter suggest Tom do instead of releasing the report in Act I Scene 2? What is Tom's reaction?
9. Who is Mr. Aslaksen and why does he come by in Act I Scene 2?
10. What is Peter's initial response to the report in Act I Scene 2?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)