|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Hovstad accuse of being cowardly and in fear of standing up to authority in Act I Scene 2?
(a) Catherine Stockmann.
(b) Tom Stockmann.
(c) Mr. Aslaksen.
(d) Mr. Billing.
2. Who does Mr. Billing urge to stay for dinner in the beginning of Act I Scene 1?
(a) Captain Horster.
(b) Mr. Aslaksen.
(c) Mr. Kill.
(d) Mr. Hovstad.
3. In Act I Scene 2, Hovstad refers to the situation as what and plans to portray it as such in the newspaper?
(a) A joke.
(b) An epidemic.
(c) Very interesting.
(d) A scandal.
4. Who is the protagonist in "An Enemy of the People"?
(a) Petra Stockmann.
(b) Peter Stockmann.
(c) Catherine Stockmann.
(d) Tom Stockmann.
5. Hovstad connects everything that's wrong with the town on what?
(a) The schools.
(b) The bureaucrats.
(c) The wealthy.
(d) The church.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the boys come home from school and sense that their parents are in the middle of a conflict in Act I Scene 2, Tom tells them that he will be teaching them what?
2. What is the setting of Act I Scene 1?
3. In Act I Scene 1, Petra remembers that Tom warned the town not to build the Springs downstream from what?
4. Who is the editor of the The People's Daily Messenger?
5. Tom claims in Act I Scene 1 that without something to fight for, you are what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What argument do Peter and Catherine have in Act I Scene 1?
2. What does Hovstad see the situation as in Act I Scene 2? What is his principle personal battle?
3. What children does Tom return with in Act I Scene 1? What does he remark about his children and how does this impact Peter?
4. Who stops by Tom's residence first in Act I Scene 2? Why?
5. What does Tom allude to in Act I Scene 1 that implies the coming problems?
6. How long had Tom suspected problems with the water? How did he come to his actions in Act I Scene 1?
7. What does Tom assert of Peter's views in Act I Scene 1?
8. What does Tom tell Hovstad to do regarding the report in Act I Scene 1? What is the immediate reaction to the news?
9. In Act I Scene 2, what does Tom awaken to? What does he suspect of Peter?
10. What does Hovstad note about Aslaksen in Act I Scene 2? What does Hovstad intend to do when he departs?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)