|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Arthur Miller's adaptation of "An Enemy of the People" premiere?
2. Tom claims in Act I Scene 1 that without something to fight for, you are what?
3. Tom loves to watch his kids eat since they are the ones who will do what?
(a) Look after him when he's old.
(b) Grow up someday.
(c) Reinvent the wheel.
(d) Stir up the future.
4. What department's finding in Act I Scene 2 states that if the overhaul of the water system is necessary, it is not an emergency and can wait?
(b) Environmental Protection.
(c) Water Resource.
(d) City Engineering.
5. In Act I Scene 2, Tom explains that there is no what but simply a scientific report?
(b) Reason to panic.
(c) Published findings.
(d) Conclusive evidence.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act I Scene 2, Peter accuses Tom of _______ the situation.
2. Who separates Peter and Tom when they almost come to blows in Act I Scene 2?
3. What does Tom's eldest child bring to him in Act I Scene 1?
4. Who sent Tom a letter in Act I Scene 1?
5. After Peter leaves in Act I Scene 2, Catherine reminds Tom that Peter has what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hovstad note about Aslaksen in Act I Scene 2? What does Hovstad intend to do when he departs?
2. What children does Tom return with in Act I Scene 1? What does he remark about his children and how does this impact Peter?
3. What does Peter suggest Tom do instead of releasing the report in Act I Scene 2? What is Tom's reaction?
4. What conversation do Tom and Hovstad share over the society in Act I Scene 2?
5. Discuss the truth in Act I Scene 2. How does the playwright establish "the truth" in the narrative?
6. What does Tom allude to in Act I Scene 1 that implies the coming problems?
7. What does Hovstad see the situation as in Act I Scene 2? What is his principle personal battle?
8. What announcement does Tom make after reading his letter in Act I Scene 1?
9. Who is Mr. Aslaksen and why does he come by in Act I Scene 2?
10. How long had Tom suspected problems with the water? How did he come to his actions in Act I Scene 1?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)