|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act I Scene 2, Peter wants Tom to agree to do what to the Council rather than provide them with the damaging report?
(a) Tell them everything is fine.
(b) Not show up for his meeting.
(c) Treat the incoming water.
(d) Make recommendations for improvements.
2. Tom Stockmann theorizes that the unsafe water that pours into Kirsten Springs originates where?
(b) Atomic Alley.
(c) Coal Point.
(d) Windmill Valley.
3. Tom loves to watch his kids eat since they are the ones who will do what?
(a) Look after him when he's old.
(b) Reinvent the wheel.
(c) Grow up someday.
(d) Stir up the future.
4. According to Tom in Act I Scene 1, the report confirms that the water contains what?
(a) Harmful bacteria.
(d) Infectious organic matter.
5. In Act I Scene 2, Hovstad claims to have been what his entire life?
(b) A bird watcher.
(c) An underdog.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspect of a water system overhaul does Peter accuse Tom of overlooking in Act I Scene 2?
2. What is the setting of Act I Scene 2?
3. Who is the assistant editor of The People's Daily Messenger?
4. How long does Peter say an overhaul of the water system would take in Act I Scene 2?
5. Where did Tom go to help the poor and afflicted when he was younger?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who suggests Tom be declared an enemy of the people? What is the crowd's reaction?
2. Who is allowed to talk first in the meeting? What does he state?
3. What guests come in as Catherine's father is leaving in Act I Scene 1? What discussion do they have?
4. How does Tom describe to the crowd his objectives in bringing the springs to town in Act II Scene 2?
5. How does the playwright conclude the play? What moral lesson is taught?
6. What does Mr. Kill tell Tom the people are really angry about in Act III?
7. What does Mr. Kill believe to be the reason for Tom's actions? What does Tom ask Mr. Kill to do?
8. What is Billing doing in the beginning of Act II Scene 1? Who is he with?
9. What solution to the problem does Peter supply in Act II Scene 1?
10. What argument do Peter and Catherine have in Act I Scene 1?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)