|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act I Scene 2, Hovstad says he sees this situation as his opportunity to keep his word in doing what?
(a) Protecting the people.
(b) Proving his worth.
(c) Fighting the bureaucrats.
(d) Reporting good news.
2. What does Tom's eldest child bring to him in Act I Scene 1?
(a) A jacket.
(b) A briefcase.
(c) A letter.
(d) A gift.
3. What does Peter say would plummet if the report were to be released in Act I Scene 2?
4. Who is convinced that Tom is trying to pull a fast one on his brother and assumes the entire story is a joke in Act I Scene 2?
(a) Peter Stockmann.
(b) Mr. Kill.
(c) Mr. Aslaksen.
(d) Mr. Hovstad.
5. Tom loves to watch his kids eat since they are the ones who will do what?
(a) Reinvent the wheel.
(b) Grow up someday.
(c) Look after him when he's old.
(d) Stir up the future.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Tom Stockmann's eldest child?
2. Where did Tom go to help the poor and afflicted when he was younger?
3. What word refers to a person who betrays another, a cause, or any trust?
4. Who is the editor of the The People's Daily Messenger?
5. Catherine boasts in Act I Scene 1 that Tom literally "invented" what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hovstad note about Aslaksen in Act I Scene 2? What does Hovstad intend to do when he departs?
2. What does Tom assert of Peter's views in Act I Scene 1?
3. What does Hovstad see the situation as in Act I Scene 2? What is his principle personal battle?
4. What does Peter suggest Tom do instead of releasing the report in Act I Scene 2? What is Tom's reaction?
5. In Act I Scene 2, what does Tom awaken to? What does he suspect of Peter?
6. How long had Tom suspected problems with the water? How did he come to his actions in Act I Scene 1?
7. Who is Mr. Aslaksen and why does he come by in Act I Scene 2?
8. What does Peter say of his reputation in Act I Scene 2?
9. With whom did Peter have a discussion about the issue in Act I Scene 2? What was the conclusion?
10. What guests come in as Catherine's father is leaving in Act I Scene 1? What discussion do they have?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)