|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Tom, what must be dismantled in order for the population to be safe?
(a) The hospital.
(b) The tannery.
(c) The mill.
(d) The springs.
2. Who separates Peter and Tom when they almost come to blows in Act I Scene 2?
(b) Petra and Morten.
(c) Catherine and Petra.
(d) Captain Horster.
3. In what year did Arthur Miller's adaptation of "An Enemy of the People" premiere?
4. Tom loves to watch his kids eat since they are the ones who will do what?
(a) Look after him when he's old.
(b) Grow up someday.
(c) Stir up the future.
(d) Reinvent the wheel.
5. What does Peter say would plummet if the report were to be released in Act I Scene 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. What word refers to a person who betrays another, a cause, or any trust?
2. What is the profession of Tom Stockmann's eldest child?
3. Tom insists that Hovstad wait to print the report in the paper until what in Act I Scene 2?
4. What occupant of the town is the commander of a ship which travels all over the world?
5. According to Tom in Act I Scene 1, the report confirms that the water contains what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom tell Hovstad to do regarding the report in Act I Scene 1? What is the immediate reaction to the news?
2. Who stops by Tom's residence first in Act I Scene 2? Why?
3. Discuss the truth in Act I Scene 2. How does the playwright establish "the truth" in the narrative?
4. What argument do Peter and Catherine have in Act I Scene 1?
5. Who is Mr. Aslaksen and why does he come by in Act I Scene 2?
6. What thematic question is posed regarding Tom and Peter in Act I Scene 1?
7. What does Peter tell Tom he is going to do with Kirsten Springs in Act I Scene 2? What is Tom's response?
8. According to Tom in Act I Scene 1, what must be done to correct the problem with the water? What does he do with the report?
9. What children does Tom return with in Act I Scene 1? What does he remark about his children and how does this impact Peter?
10. What guests come in as Catherine's father is leaving in Act I Scene 1? What discussion do they have?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)