|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act II Scene 1 it is pointed out that Billing has applied for a job as what?
(b) Secretary of the Magistrate.
(d) Tax collector.
2. What word means thoroughgoing or extreme, especially as regards change from accepted or traditional forms?
3. In his speech in Act II Scene 2, Tom states that in the past Hovstad had fought for what?
(a) Women's rights.
(c) Free speech.
(d) Religious rights.
4. Against the objection of some, Aslaksen is named what in Act II Scene 2?
(a) A liar.
(d) A lunatic.
5. In Act II Scene 2, Billing tells Catherine that the meeting will prove to not be a place for what?
(b) Small talk.
(d) Scientific discussion.
6. In his speech in Act II Scene 2, Tom congratulates Hovstad for his what?
7. What is Tom surprised to see leaning against the table in the office in Act II Scene 1?
(b) An umbrella.
(c) A sword.
(d) His brother's cane.
8. In Act II Scene 2, Peter promises that if the springs are allowed to remain as they are, within how many years everyone in town will be wealthier, schools will be improved, the population will grow?
9. What compromise does Tom reach when reading the report at the gathering in Act II Scene 2?
(a) To not refer to the Institute by name.
(b) To not offend anyone.
(c) To talk softly.
(d) To talk for only ten minutes.
10. In Act II Scene 2, when Tom begins to speak some in the crowd complain that there is no what for the meeting?
11. In Act II Scene 1, to show Peter that his position is that of the people, Tom puts on what?
(a) Peter's coat.
(b) Peter's hat.
(c) His hat.
(d) His coat.
12. In Act II Scene 1, Billing finishes reading the report which he declares to be what?
13. In Act II Scene 2, Tom asks if he and his family can have passage where?
14. Hovstad is suddenly torn in Act II Scene 1 and entertains the idea that perhaps Tom is what?
(a) A liar.
(b) An egomaniac.
(d) A traitor.
15. Who is the first person who enters as the captain is tidying up in Act II Scene 2?
(a) Peter Stockmann.
(b) Mr. Aslaksen.
(c) Mr. Billings.
(d) Mr. Hovstad.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to a government by the people or their elected representatives?
2. Tom discusses in Act II Scene 2 the fact that Galileo was brought to his knees for teaching what?
3. In Act II Scene 1, Peter supplies the most "practical" solution, which is what?
4. In the beginning of Act II Scene 1, Hovstad comments that even who will be rebelling if the Mayor rejects the report that calls for reconstruction of the water supply system?
5. After Tom leaves in Act II Scene 1, Hovstad comments to Aslaksen that Tom might prove to be what?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)