|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act II Scene 2, Peter promises that if the springs are allowed to remain as they are, within how many years everyone in town will be wealthier, schools will be improved, the population will grow?
2. Who suggests that Tom be considered an enemy of the people in Act II Scene 2?
(a) Mr. Aslaksen.
(b) Captain Horster.
(c) Mr. Hovstad.
(d) Mr. Billing.
3. In Act II Scene 1, Billing suggests to Hovstad that they seek the support of Tom to do what?
(a) Start a new town.
(b) Test the water again.
(c) Take on the mayor.
(d) Back a newspaper.
4. In Act II Scene 2, Peter warns who that he could have them arrested for posting a large sign on the town hall?
(b) Captain Horster.
5. What does Tom tell Peter that his cane represents in Act II Scene 1?
(a) A fishing pole.
(b) The letter "I."
(c) The needle of a compass.
(d) The baton of command.
6. What does Catherine wonder about the people outside in the beginning of Act II Scene 2?
(a) If they are violent.
(b) Who they are.
(c) What they want.
(d) Why they don't come in.
7. What refers to a person authorized to examine publications, theatrical presentations, films, letters, etc, in order to suppress in whole or part those considered obscene or politically unacceptable?
8. What compromise does Tom reach when reading the report at the gathering in Act II Scene 2?
(a) To not offend anyone.
(b) To not refer to the Institute by name.
(c) To talk for only ten minutes.
(d) To talk softly.
9. Tom informs the crowd in Act II Scene 2 that the gathering was advertised as what instead of a meeting?
(b) Get together.
(c) Public forum.
10. Peter claims in Act II Scene 2 that he only wants the town to understand that his brother's motive is to ridicule and destroy what?
(a) The springs.
(b) People's lives.
(c) The town.
11. What relative of Tom Stockmann's is exceptionally wealthy?
(d) Mr. Kill.
12. Where was Jesus crucified?
13. How does Peter enter in Act II Scene 1?
(a) Through the front door.
(b) From the attic.
(c) Through the back door.
(d) From the basement.
14. Catherine enters after Tom in Act II Scene 1 and demands that he do what?
(a) Go to work.
(b) Talk to his brother.
(c) Come home immediately.
(d) Forget the report.
15. In Act II Scene 2, Peter makes a motion that Tom be prohibited from what?
(a) Reading the report.
(b) Taking the pledge.
(d) Standing watch.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act II Scene 2, Billing tells Catherine that the meeting will prove to not be a place for what?
2. What word means that kept or keeping within reasonable or proper limits; not extreme, excessive, or intense?
3. Who suggests that Tom act with moderation in Act II Scene 1 when Tom tells Hovstad that Peter has declared war?
4. After Tom leaves in Act II Scene 1, Hovstad comments to Aslaksen that Tom might prove to be what?
5. What word means the process or an instance of obstructing legislation by means of long speeches and other delaying tactics?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)