|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting of Act II Scene 1?
(a) The editorial office of the People's Daily Messenger.
(b) Peter Stockman's residence.
(c) Tom Stockmann's residence.
(d) Captain Horster's house.
2. In Act II Scene 1, Catherine lashes out at Hovstad for being what?
(b) A fraud.
(c) A liberal.
(d) A conservative.
3. What does Peter absentmindedly forget at the office when he leaves in Act II Scene 1?
(a) A watch.
(b) Some documents.
(c) His hat and cane.
(d) His coat.
4. Catherine enters after Tom in Act II Scene 1 and demands that he do what?
(a) Come home immediately.
(b) Talk to his brother.
(c) Forget the report.
(d) Go to work.
5. In Act II Scene 1, Billing suggests to Hovstad that they seek the support of Tom to do what?
(a) Take on the mayor.
(b) Test the water again.
(c) Back a newspaper.
(d) Start a new town.
6. What is the setting of Act II Scene 2?
(a) Mr. Hovstad's house.
(b) Captain Horster's house.
(c) Mr. Aslaksen's house.
(d) Mr. Billing's house.
7. Who is allowed to speak first at the gathering in Act II Scene 2?
8. In Act II Scene 1, Hovstad corrects Peter's characterization of the contamination as what?
(a) A nightmare.
(b) A tall tale.
(c) A hallucination.
(d) A dream.
9. In Act II Scene 2, Tom asks if he and his family can have passage where?
10. What word means to soften or tone down, as in one's beliefs?
11. In Act II Scene 2, Tom explains to the crowd that the dream he had for the Springs was NOT to do what?
(a) Create a fishing hole.
(b) Poison the town.
(c) Open a waterpark.
(d) Bring in tourists.
12. What word means thoroughgoing or extreme, especially as regards change from accepted or traditional forms?
13. Which character claims to be a radical liberal?
14. Given little other options, in the end of Act II Scene 1, Tom vows to do what to spread the truth about the water system?
(a) March through town.
(b) Tell everybody at church.
(c) Publish his own paper.
(d) Yell from the steps of the Mayor's office.
15. When Tom returns in Act II Scene 1, he emphasizes again to Aslaksen that he does not want to be treated like what?
(a) A king.
(b) A hero.
(c) A woman.
(d) A child.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act II Scene 2, Peter makes a motion that Tom be prohibited from what?
2. As Peter speaks in Act II Scene 2, a man in the crowd shouts that Tom should be what?
3. How does Peter enter in Act II Scene 1?
4. In Act II Scene 2, Peter warns who that he could have them arrested for posting a large sign on the town hall?
5. Tom leaves the office after speaking with Hovstad in Act II Scene 1 because who is waiting for him?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)