|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act II Scene 1 it is pointed out that Billing has applied for a job as what?
(a) Secretary of the Magistrate.
(c) Tax collector.
2. What does Hovstad call Tom during his speech in Act II Scene 2?
(a) A traitor.
(b) An aristocrat.
(c) A murderer.
(d) A juvenile.
3. What refers to a form of government in which god or a deity is recognized as the supreme civil ruler?
4. How does Peter enter in Act II Scene 1?
(a) Through the back door.
(b) From the basement.
(c) Through the front door.
(d) From the attic.
5. In Act II Scene 2, Tom explains to the crowd that the dream he had for the Springs was to provide a way to do what?
(b) Cure the sick and dying.
(c) Stockpile water.
(d) Increase revenue.
6. Given little other options, in the end of Act II Scene 1, Tom vows to do what to spread the truth about the water system?
(a) March through town.
(b) Yell from the steps of the Mayor's office.
(c) Tell everybody at church.
(d) Publish his own paper.
7. Tom discusses in Act II Scene 2 the fact that Galileo was brought to his knees for teaching what?
(a) The earth revolves around the sun.
(b) Apple's fall from trees.
(c) The earth is flat.
(d) Lightning is made of electricity.
8. In Act II Scene 1, Peter angrily declares that the report is based on hatred of what?
(c) The environment.
(d) The public.
9. After Tom leaves in Act II Scene 1, Hovstad comments to Aslaksen that Tom might prove to be what?
(a) The messiah.
(b) Valuable to them.
(d) A wolf in sheeps clothing.
10. What refers to someone radically new or innovative who stands for revolt?
11. Tom claims in Act II Scene 2 that he stands against the conventional wisdom that the majority is what?
(b) Always right.
(c) The weakest.
12. Tom leaves the office after speaking with Hovstad in Act II Scene 1 because who is waiting for him?
(b) A patient.
13. What does Tom tell Peter that his cane represents in Act II Scene 1?
(a) The baton of command.
(b) The needle of a compass.
(c) The letter "I."
(d) A fishing pole.
14. What does Peter absentmindedly forget at the office when he leaves in Act II Scene 1?
(a) His coat.
(b) Some documents.
(c) His hat and cane.
(d) A watch.
15. What is the setting of Act II Scene 2?
(a) Captain Horster's house.
(b) Mr. Hovstad's house.
(c) Mr. Aslaksen's house.
(d) Mr. Billing's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word refers to a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles that one does not really possess?
2. Catherine asks Billing in Act II Scene 2 why he printed whose editorial instead of the report?
3. In Act II Scene 1, Billing is exhilarated because he claims this could be the day what?
4. In Act II Scene 1, to show Peter that his position is that of the people, Tom puts on what?
5. What is Tom surprised to see leaning against the table in the office in Act II Scene 1?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)