|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act II Scene 2, Tom tells the crowd that if he's not allowed to say his piece, he will go where?
(a) To the United States.
(b) To newspapers outside the city.
(c) To the queen.
(d) To the University.
2. What is Tom surprised to see leaning against the table in the office in Act II Scene 1?
(a) An umbrella.
(b) His brother's cane.
(c) A sword.
3. What refers to someone radically new or innovative who stands for revolt?
4. Tom leaves the office after speaking with Hovstad in Act II Scene 1 because who is waiting for him?
(b) A patient.
5. What does Catherine wonder about the people outside in the beginning of Act II Scene 2?
(a) If they are violent.
(b) What they want.
(c) Why they don't come in.
(d) Who they are.
6. In Act II Scene 1, Billing is exhilarated because he claims this could be the day what?
(a) Brothers battled.
(b) Questions were answered.
(c) Truth was born.
(d) The town starts to die.
7. Peter claims in Act II Scene 2 that he only wants the town to understand that his brother's motive is to ridicule and destroy what?
(a) The town.
(b) The springs.
(d) People's lives.
8. When was Galileo born?
9. Given little other options, in the end of Act II Scene 1, Tom vows to do what to spread the truth about the water system?
(a) Publish his own paper.
(b) Tell everybody at church.
(c) Yell from the steps of the Mayor's office.
(d) March through town.
10. After Tom leaves in Act II Scene 1, Hovstad comments to Aslaksen that Tom might prove to be what?
(a) Valuable to them.
(c) A wolf in sheeps clothing.
(d) The messiah.
11. What refers to a form of government in which god or a deity is recognized as the supreme civil ruler?
12. What compromise does Tom reach when reading the report at the gathering in Act II Scene 2?
(a) To not offend anyone.
(b) To talk for only ten minutes.
(c) To not refer to the Institute by name.
(d) To talk softly.
13. In Act II Scene 1, Catherine lashes out at Hovstad for being what?
(b) A liberal.
(c) A conservative.
(d) A fraud.
14. Tom discusses in Act II Scene 2 the fact that Galileo was brought to his knees for teaching what?
(a) Apple's fall from trees.
(b) Lightning is made of electricity.
(c) The earth revolves around the sun.
(d) The earth is flat.
15. Catherine enters after Tom in Act II Scene 1 and demands that he do what?
(a) Talk to his brother.
(b) Forget the report.
(c) Go to work.
(d) Come home immediately.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act II Scene 1, Peter angrily declares that the report is based on hatred of what?
2. In his speech in Act II Scene 2, Tom congratulates Hovstad for his what?
3. In Act II Scene 1, Hovstad corrects Peter's characterization of the contamination as what?
4. What refers to a government by the people or their elected representatives?
5. In Act II Scene 1, Peter supplies the most "practical" solution, which is what?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)