|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who suggests that Tom be considered an enemy of the people in Act II Scene 2?
(a) Mr. Aslaksen.
(b) Mr. Hovstad.
(c) Captain Horster.
(d) Mr. Billing.
2. What refers to a government by the people or their elected representatives?
3. In the beginning of Act II Scene 1, Hovstad tells Billing to lower his voice because who is in earshot?
(a) Tom Stockmann.
(b) Petra Stockmann.
(c) Peter Stockmann.
4. Kirsten Springs Institute is what type of corporation?
5. What word means thoroughgoing or extreme, especially as regards change from accepted or traditional forms?
6. In Act II Scene 2, when Tom begins to speak some in the crowd complain that there is no what for the meeting?
7. What refers to a person authorized to examine publications, theatrical presentations, films, letters, etc, in order to suppress in whole or part those considered obscene or politically unacceptable?
8. In Act II Scene 2, Billing tells Catherine that the meeting will prove to not be a place for what?
(a) Scientific discussion.
(d) Small talk.
9. In Act II Scene 2, Tom explains to the crowd that the dream he had for the Springs was NOT to do what?
(a) Poison the town.
(b) Open a waterpark.
(c) Create a fishing hole.
(d) Bring in tourists.
10. In Act II Scene 2, Tom explains to the crowd that the dream he had for the Springs was to provide a way to do what?
(a) Increase revenue.
(b) Cure the sick and dying.
(d) Stockpile water.
11. In Act II Scene 1, Hovstad corrects Peter's characterization of the contamination as what?
(a) A hallucination.
(b) A tall tale.
(c) A nightmare.
(d) A dream.
12. What is Tom surprised to see leaning against the table in the office in Act II Scene 1?
(b) An umbrella.
(c) His brother's cane.
(d) A sword.
13. Given little other options, in the end of Act II Scene 1, Tom vows to do what to spread the truth about the water system?
(a) Tell everybody at church.
(b) Yell from the steps of the Mayor's office.
(c) March through town.
(d) Publish his own paper.
14. When he enters in Act II Scene 1, Peter demands to see the report, promising to help with what?
(a) The spelling.
(b) The distribution.
(c) The labor.
(d) The editing.
15. In Act II Scene 1, Billing suggests to Hovstad that they seek the support of Tom to do what?
(a) Start a new town.
(b) Back a newspaper.
(c) Test the water again.
(d) Take on the mayor.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tom returns in Act II Scene 1, he emphasizes again to Aslaksen that he does not want to be treated like what?
2. In his speech in Act II Scene 2, Tom congratulates Hovstad for his what?
3. What word refers to a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles that one does not really possess?
4. In Act II Scene 2, Peter promises that if the springs are allowed to remain as they are, within how many years everyone in town will be wealthier, schools will be improved, the population will grow?
5. In Act II Scene 2, Peter makes a motion that Tom be prohibited from what?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)