|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hovstad is suddenly torn in Act II Scene 1 and entertains the idea that perhaps Tom is what?
(b) An egomaniac.
(c) A liar.
(d) A traitor.
2. Which character claims to be a radical liberal?
3. In Act II Scene 1, Peter angrily declares that the report is based on hatred of what?
(a) The environment.
(c) The public.
4. Only the town drunk and who vote against declaring Tom an enemy of the people in Act II Scene 2?
(a) Mr. Hovstad.
(b) Captain Horster.
(c) Mr. Aslaksen.
(d) Mr. Billing.
5. In Act II Scene 2, Billing tells Catherine that the meeting will prove to not be a place for what?
(a) Small talk.
(d) Scientific discussion.
6. What does Tom tell Peter that his cane represents in Act II Scene 1?
(a) The letter "I."
(b) The baton of command.
(c) A fishing pole.
(d) The needle of a compass.
7. What refers to a person authorized to examine publications, theatrical presentations, films, letters, etc, in order to suppress in whole or part those considered obscene or politically unacceptable?
8. What slang term used by Billings refers to someone who is cowardly or afraid?
9. Tom discusses in Act II Scene 2 the fact that Galileo was brought to his knees for teaching what?
(a) Apple's fall from trees.
(b) The earth is flat.
(c) The earth revolves around the sun.
(d) Lightning is made of electricity.
10. What relative of Tom Stockmann's is exceptionally wealthy?
(d) Mr. Kill.
11. In Act II Scene 2, Tom claims that what is never right until it does right?
(a) The government.
(b) The public.
(c) The majority.
(d) The minority.
12. In Act II Scene 1, to show Peter that his position is that of the people, Tom puts on what?
(a) His coat.
(b) Peter's hat.
(c) His hat.
(d) Peter's coat.
13. In Act II Scene 1, Billing finishes reading the report which he declares to be what?
14. What word refers to a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles that one does not really possess?
15. What does Catherine wonder about the people outside in the beginning of Act II Scene 2?
(a) Why they don't come in.
(b) What they want.
(c) Who they are.
(d) If they are violent.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tom returns in Act II Scene 1, he emphasizes again to Aslaksen that he does not want to be treated like what?
2. What does Peter absentmindedly forget at the office when he leaves in Act II Scene 1?
3. In Act II Scene 1 it is pointed out that Billing has applied for a job as what?
4. When Tom enters in Act II Scene 1, he tells Hovstad to do what?
5. How does Peter enter in Act II Scene 1?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)