|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act II Scene 2, Peter warns who that he could have them arrested for posting a large sign on the town hall?
(a) Captain Horster.
2. When was Galileo born?
3. In Act II Scene 2, Tom explains to the crowd that the dream he had for the Springs was to provide a way to do what?
(a) Cure the sick and dying.
(b) Stockpile water.
(c) Increase revenue.
4. In his speech in Act II Scene 2, Tom states that in the past Hovstad had fought for what?
(a) Religious rights.
(c) Women's rights.
(d) Free speech.
5. What refers to a government by the people or their elected representatives?
6. What word refers to a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles that one does not really possess?
7. In Act II Scene 1, Hovstad corrects Peter's characterization of the contamination as what?
(a) A dream.
(b) A nightmare.
(c) A tall tale.
(d) A hallucination.
8. What is the setting of Act II Scene 1?
(a) The editorial office of the People's Daily Messenger.
(b) Tom Stockmann's residence.
(c) Captain Horster's house.
(d) Peter Stockman's residence.
9. Who is the first person who enters as the captain is tidying up in Act II Scene 2?
(a) Peter Stockmann.
(b) Mr. Billings.
(c) Mr. Aslaksen.
(d) Mr. Hovstad.
10. Hovstad is suddenly torn in Act II Scene 1 and entertains the idea that perhaps Tom is what?
(a) A traitor.
(b) A liar.
(d) An egomaniac.
11. When he enters in Act II Scene 1, Peter demands to see the report, promising to help with what?
(a) The labor.
(b) The spelling.
(c) The distribution.
(d) The editing.
12. After Tom leaves in Act II Scene 1, Hovstad comments to Aslaksen that Tom might prove to be what?
(a) The messiah.
(c) Valuable to them.
(d) A wolf in sheeps clothing.
13. Tom discusses in Act II Scene 2 the fact that Galileo was brought to his knees for teaching what?
(a) The earth revolves around the sun.
(b) Lightning is made of electricity.
(c) Apple's fall from trees.
(d) The earth is flat.
14. What word means to soften or tone down, as in one's beliefs?
15. What compromise does Tom reach when reading the report at the gathering in Act II Scene 2?
(a) To not offend anyone.
(b) To talk softly.
(c) To not refer to the Institute by name.
(d) To talk for only ten minutes.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act II Scene 1, Aslaksen refuses to print the report as a what?
2. In Act II Scene 1, Peter points out to Aslaksen that the community will be what if the water system is dismantled and rebuilt?
3. In the beginning of Act II Scene 1, Hovstad tells Billing to lower his voice because who is in earshot?
4. In the beginning of Act II Scene 1, Hovstad comments that even who will be rebelling if the Mayor rejects the report that calls for reconstruction of the water supply system?
5. What does Catherine wonder about the people outside in the beginning of Act II Scene 2?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)