|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act II Scene 2, when Tom begins to speak some in the crowd complain that there is no what for the meeting?
2. When was Galileo born?
3. What word means to soften or tone down, as in one's beliefs?
4. Only the town drunk and who vote against declaring Tom an enemy of the people in Act II Scene 2?
(a) Mr. Aslaksen.
(b) Captain Horster.
(c) Mr. Hovstad.
(d) Mr. Billing.
5. How does Peter enter in Act II Scene 1?
(a) Through the back door.
(b) From the attic.
(c) From the basement.
(d) Through the front door.
6. In Act II Scene 1, Billing finishes reading the report which he declares to be what?
7. What compromise does Tom reach when reading the report at the gathering in Act II Scene 2?
(a) To talk for only ten minutes.
(b) To not refer to the Institute by name.
(c) To talk softly.
(d) To not offend anyone.
8. What is Tom surprised to see leaning against the table in the office in Act II Scene 1?
(a) A sword.
(b) His brother's cane.
(c) An umbrella.
9. What word refers to a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles that one does not really possess?
10. In Act II Scene 1, Aslaksen refuses to print the report as a what?
(a) Special edition.
(b) Scientific conclusion.
11. What refers to a form of government in which god or a deity is recognized as the supreme civil ruler?
12. Catherine enters after Tom in Act II Scene 1 and demands that he do what?
(a) Forget the report.
(b) Talk to his brother.
(c) Go to work.
(d) Come home immediately.
13. In Act II Scene 2, Billing tells Catherine that the meeting will prove to not be a place for what?
(b) Scientific discussion.
(c) Small talk.
14. In Act II Scene 1, Hovstad corrects Peter's characterization of the contamination as what?
(a) A tall tale.
(b) A dream.
(c) A hallucination.
(d) A nightmare.
15. In his speech in Act II Scene 2, Tom congratulates Hovstad for his what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Peter claims in Act II Scene 2 that he only wants the town to understand that his brother's motive is to ridicule and destroy what?
2. Who is allowed to speak first at the gathering in Act II Scene 2?
3. Given little other options, in the end of Act II Scene 1, Tom vows to do what to spread the truth about the water system?
4. As Peter speaks in Act II Scene 2, a man in the crowd shouts that Tom should be what?
5. What word means the process or an instance of obstructing legislation by means of long speeches and other delaying tactics?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)