|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first person who enters as the captain is tidying up in Act II Scene 2?
(a) Peter Stockmann.
(b) Mr. Billings.
(c) Mr. Aslaksen.
(d) Mr. Hovstad.
2. In Act II Scene 1, Peter supplies the most "practical" solution, which is what?
(a) To ignore the report.
(b) The water is corrected gradually.
(c) Accuse Tom of lying.
(d) Tax the townspeople.
3. Who enters the newspaper office with a book that Hovstad asked to be translated for publication in the newspaper in Act II Scene 1?
4. In Act II Scene 1, Peter points out to Aslaksen that the community will be what if the water system is dismantled and rebuilt?
5. Hovstad is suddenly torn in Act II Scene 1 and entertains the idea that perhaps Tom is what?
(b) A liar.
(c) An egomaniac.
(d) A traitor.
6. In Act II Scene 1, to show Peter that his position is that of the people, Tom puts on what?
(a) His coat.
(b) His hat.
(c) Peter's hat.
(d) Peter's coat.
7. In Act II Scene 2, Tom claims that what is never right until it does right?
(a) The minority.
(b) The majority.
(c) The government.
(d) The public.
8. In Act II Scene 2, Tom explains to the crowd that the dream he had for the Springs was NOT to do what?
(a) Create a fishing hole.
(b) Bring in tourists.
(c) Open a waterpark.
(d) Poison the town.
9. What does Tom tell Peter that his cane represents in Act II Scene 1?
(a) The letter "I."
(b) The baton of command.
(c) A fishing pole.
(d) The needle of a compass.
10. What refers to a government by the people or their elected representatives?
11. What is the setting of Act II Scene 1?
(a) Peter Stockman's residence.
(b) Captain Horster's house.
(c) Tom Stockmann's residence.
(d) The editorial office of the People's Daily Messenger.
12. When was Galileo born?
13. What is the setting of Act II Scene 2?
(a) Mr. Hovstad's house.
(b) Mr. Aslaksen's house.
(c) Mr. Billing's house.
(d) Captain Horster's house.
14. What refers to someone radically new or innovative who stands for revolt?
15. Given little other options, in the end of Act II Scene 1, Tom vows to do what to spread the truth about the water system?
(a) Yell from the steps of the Mayor's office.
(b) Publish his own paper.
(c) Tell everybody at church.
(d) March through town.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act II Scene 2, Tom explains that he had to hold a lecture since no one would rent him what?
2. In Act II Scene 2, Tom explains to the crowd that the dream he had for the Springs was to provide a way to do what?
3. In Act II Scene 1, Billing is exhilarated because he claims this could be the day what?
4. What word means the process or an instance of obstructing legislation by means of long speeches and other delaying tactics?
5. In Act II Scene 1, Catherine lashes out at Hovstad for being what?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)