|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Tom returns in Act II Scene 1, he emphasizes again to Aslaksen that he does not want to be treated like what?
(a) A child.
(b) A hero.
(c) A king.
(d) A woman.
2. When Tom enters in Act II Scene 1, he tells Hovstad to do what?
(a) Print the report immediately.
(b) Destroy the report.
(c) Give him back the report.
(d) Edit some of the report.
3. In the beginning of Act II Scene 1, Hovstad comments that even who will be rebelling if the Mayor rejects the report that calls for reconstruction of the water supply system?
(a) Morten Kill.
(b) Catherine Stockmann.
(d) Captain Horster.
4. What does Catherine wonder about the people outside in the beginning of Act II Scene 2?
(a) Who they are.
(b) Why they don't come in.
(c) If they are violent.
(d) What they want.
5. In his speech in Act II Scene 2, Tom congratulates Hovstad for his what?
6. Tom claims in Act II Scene 2 that he stands against the conventional wisdom that the majority is what?
(b) The weakest.
(c) Always right.
7. Who suggests that Tom be considered an enemy of the people in Act II Scene 2?
(a) Mr. Aslaksen.
(b) Mr. Hovstad.
(c) Mr. Billing.
(d) Captain Horster.
8. When he enters in Act II Scene 1, Peter demands to see the report, promising to help with what?
(a) The spelling.
(b) The distribution.
(c) The editing.
(d) The labor.
9. Tom discusses in Act II Scene 2 the fact that Galileo was brought to his knees for teaching what?
(a) Apple's fall from trees.
(b) Lightning is made of electricity.
(c) The earth revolves around the sun.
(d) The earth is flat.
10. In Act II Scene 1, Billing suggests to Hovstad that they seek the support of Tom to do what?
(a) Test the water again.
(b) Start a new town.
(c) Take on the mayor.
(d) Back a newspaper.
11. What is the setting of Act II Scene 2?
(a) Mr. Aslaksen's house.
(b) Mr. Billing's house.
(c) Mr. Hovstad's house.
(d) Captain Horster's house.
12. In Act II Scene 2, Tom asks if he and his family can have passage where?
13. In Act II Scene 2, Billing tells Catherine that the meeting will prove to not be a place for what?
(a) Scientific discussion.
(c) Small talk.
14. In Act II Scene 1, Billing is exhilarated because he claims this could be the day what?
(a) Brothers battled.
(b) Questions were answered.
(c) The town starts to die.
(d) Truth was born.
15. In Act II Scene 2, Peter makes a motion that Tom be prohibited from what?
(a) Reading the report.
(b) Taking the pledge.
(c) Standing watch.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act II Scene 1, Hovstad corrects Peter's characterization of the contamination as what?
2. How does Peter enter in Act II Scene 1?
3. What refers to someone radically new or innovative who stands for revolt?
4. What slang term used by Billings refers to someone who is cowardly or afraid?
5. What refers to a government by the people or their elected representatives?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)