|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tom claims in Act II Scene 2 that he stands against the conventional wisdom that the majority is what?
(a) Always right.
(d) The weakest.
2. In Act II Scene 2, Tom claims that what is never right until it does right?
(a) The government.
(b) The majority.
(c) The public.
(d) The minority.
3. What word refers to a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles that one does not really possess?
4. When was Galileo born?
5. In Act II Scene 1, Hovstad corrects Peter's characterization of the contamination as what?
(a) A tall tale.
(b) A nightmare.
(c) A hallucination.
(d) A dream.
6. In his speech in Act II Scene 2, Tom congratulates Hovstad for his what?
7. What refers to someone radically new or innovative who stands for revolt?
8. What does Peter absentmindedly forget at the office when he leaves in Act II Scene 1?
(a) His hat and cane.
(b) Some documents.
(c) His coat.
(d) A watch.
9. What compromise does Tom reach when reading the report at the gathering in Act II Scene 2?
(a) To not offend anyone.
(b) To not refer to the Institute by name.
(c) To talk softly.
(d) To talk for only ten minutes.
10. What is the setting of Act II Scene 1?
(a) Peter Stockman's residence.
(b) The editorial office of the People's Daily Messenger.
(c) Captain Horster's house.
(d) Tom Stockmann's residence.
11. In Act II Scene 2, Tom tells the crowd that if he's not allowed to say his piece, he will go where?
(a) To the United States.
(b) To the University.
(c) To the queen.
(d) To newspapers outside the city.
12. Which character claims to be a radical liberal?
13. In Act II Scene 1, Peter supplies the most "practical" solution, which is what?
(a) The water is corrected gradually.
(b) To ignore the report.
(c) Accuse Tom of lying.
(d) Tax the townspeople.
14. In the beginning of Act II Scene 1, Hovstad comments that even who will be rebelling if the Mayor rejects the report that calls for reconstruction of the water supply system?
(a) Morten Kill.
(b) Captain Horster.
(c) Catherine Stockmann.
15. What does Hovstad call Tom during his speech in Act II Scene 2?
(a) An aristocrat.
(b) A murderer.
(c) A juvenile.
(d) A traitor.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act II Scene 1, Peter points out to Aslaksen that the community will be what if the water system is dismantled and rebuilt?
2. Catherine enters after Tom in Act II Scene 1 and demands that he do what?
3. What refers to a form of government in which god or a deity is recognized as the supreme civil ruler?
4. When Tom enters in Act II Scene 1, he tells Hovstad to do what?
5. Who is the first person who enters as the captain is tidying up in Act II Scene 2?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)