|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Catherine asks Billing in Act II Scene 2 why he printed whose editorial instead of the report?
(a) Captain Horster's.
(b) His own.
(d) Mr. Kill's.
2. When Tom returns in Act II Scene 1, he emphasizes again to Aslaksen that he does not want to be treated like what?
(a) A king.
(b) A child.
(c) A hero.
(d) A woman.
3. What is the setting of Act II Scene 2?
(a) Captain Horster's house.
(b) Mr. Billing's house.
(c) Mr. Hovstad's house.
(d) Mr. Aslaksen's house.
4. In Act II Scene 2, Peter makes a motion that Tom be prohibited from what?
(a) Reading the report.
(b) Standing watch.
(c) Taking the pledge.
5. In Act II Scene 2, Peter warns who that he could have them arrested for posting a large sign on the town hall?
(a) Captain Horster.
6. What refers to a person authorized to examine publications, theatrical presentations, films, letters, etc, in order to suppress in whole or part those considered obscene or politically unacceptable?
7. In Act II Scene 1, Billing suggests to Hovstad that they seek the support of Tom to do what?
(a) Test the water again.
(b) Start a new town.
(c) Take on the mayor.
(d) Back a newspaper.
8. In Act II Scene 1, Aslaksen refuses to print the report as a what?
(b) Scientific conclusion.
(c) Special edition.
9. Who enters the newspaper office with a book that Hovstad asked to be translated for publication in the newspaper in Act II Scene 1?
10. In Act II Scene 2, Tom tells the crowd that if he's not allowed to say his piece, he will go where?
(a) To the queen.
(b) To newspapers outside the city.
(c) To the University.
(d) To the United States.
11. Only the town drunk and who vote against declaring Tom an enemy of the people in Act II Scene 2?
(a) Captain Horster.
(b) Mr. Hovstad.
(c) Mr. Aslaksen.
(d) Mr. Billing.
12. In Act II Scene 1, Peter supplies the most "practical" solution, which is what?
(a) Accuse Tom of lying.
(b) The water is corrected gradually.
(c) To ignore the report.
(d) Tax the townspeople.
13. What refers to a form of government in which god or a deity is recognized as the supreme civil ruler?
14. When he enters in Act II Scene 1, Peter demands to see the report, promising to help with what?
(a) The editing.
(b) The distribution.
(c) The labor.
(d) The spelling.
15. In Act II Scene 2, Tom explains to the crowd that the dream he had for the Springs was to provide a way to do what?
(a) Stockpile water.
(c) Increase revenue.
(d) Cure the sick and dying.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act II Scene 1 it is pointed out that Billing has applied for a job as what?
2. What is Tom surprised to see leaning against the table in the office in Act II Scene 1?
3. Who suggests that Tom be considered an enemy of the people in Act II Scene 2?
4. In Act II Scene 2, Peter promises that if the springs are allowed to remain as they are, within how many years everyone in town will be wealthier, schools will be improved, the population will grow?
5. Who is allowed to speak first at the gathering in Act II Scene 2?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)