|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act II Scene 2, Tom claims that what is never right until it does right?
(a) The public.
(b) The minority.
(c) The government.
(d) The majority.
2. Kirsten Springs Institute is what type of corporation?
3. In Act II Scene 2, Tom tells the crowd that if he's not allowed to say his piece, he will go where?
(a) To the United States.
(b) To newspapers outside the city.
(c) To the queen.
(d) To the University.
4. In Act II Scene 1, Peter points out to Aslaksen that the community will be what if the water system is dismantled and rebuilt?
5. When was Galileo born?
6. Who enters the newspaper office with a book that Hovstad asked to be translated for publication in the newspaper in Act II Scene 1?
7. Who is allowed to speak first at the gathering in Act II Scene 2?
8. Catherine enters after Tom in Act II Scene 1 and demands that he do what?
(a) Talk to his brother.
(b) Come home immediately.
(c) Forget the report.
(d) Go to work.
9. Given little other options, in the end of Act II Scene 1, Tom vows to do what to spread the truth about the water system?
(a) Tell everybody at church.
(b) Yell from the steps of the Mayor's office.
(c) Publish his own paper.
(d) March through town.
10. What relative of Tom Stockmann's is exceptionally wealthy?
(c) Mr. Kill.
11. Tom claims in Act II Scene 2 that he stands against the conventional wisdom that the majority is what?
(c) Always right.
(d) The weakest.
12. Who suggests that Tom act with moderation in Act II Scene 1 when Tom tells Hovstad that Peter has declared war?
(b) Peter Stockmann.
(d) Catherine Stockmann.
13. When he enters in Act II Scene 1, Peter demands to see the report, promising to help with what?
(a) The editing.
(b) The distribution.
(c) The spelling.
(d) The labor.
14. Against the objection of some, Aslaksen is named what in Act II Scene 2?
(a) A liar.
(d) A lunatic.
15. What refers to a form of government in which god or a deity is recognized as the supreme civil ruler?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tom returns in Act II Scene 1, he emphasizes again to Aslaksen that he does not want to be treated like what?
2. What word refers to a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles that one does not really possess?
3. What does Hovstad call Tom during his speech in Act II Scene 2?
4. In Act II Scene 1, Peter angrily declares that the report is based on hatred of what?
5. In Act II Scene 2, Peter promises that if the springs are allowed to remain as they are, within how many years everyone in town will be wealthier, schools will be improved, the population will grow?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)