|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tom claims in Act II Scene 2 that he stands against the conventional wisdom that the majority is what?
(a) Always right.
(d) The weakest.
2. In Act II Scene 2, Peter warns who that he could have them arrested for posting a large sign on the town hall?
(d) Captain Horster.
3. In Act II Scene 1, Billing suggests to Hovstad that they seek the support of Tom to do what?
(a) Test the water again.
(b) Back a newspaper.
(c) Start a new town.
(d) Take on the mayor.
4. In Act II Scene 1, Aslaksen refuses to print the report as a what?
(a) Special edition.
(b) Scientific conclusion.
5. In Act II Scene 2, Tom explains to the crowd that the dream he had for the Springs was NOT to do what?
(a) Poison the town.
(b) Create a fishing hole.
(c) Open a waterpark.
(d) Bring in tourists.
6. What refers to a person authorized to examine publications, theatrical presentations, films, letters, etc, in order to suppress in whole or part those considered obscene or politically unacceptable?
7. In Act II Scene 2, Peter promises that if the springs are allowed to remain as they are, within how many years everyone in town will be wealthier, schools will be improved, the population will grow?
8. Who is the first person who enters as the captain is tidying up in Act II Scene 2?
(a) Peter Stockmann.
(b) Mr. Hovstad.
(c) Mr. Billings.
(d) Mr. Aslaksen.
9. Who enters the newspaper office with a book that Hovstad asked to be translated for publication in the newspaper in Act II Scene 1?
10. Tom informs the crowd in Act II Scene 2 that the gathering was advertised as what instead of a meeting?
(b) Get together.
(d) Public forum.
11. Given little other options, in the end of Act II Scene 1, Tom vows to do what to spread the truth about the water system?
(a) Publish his own paper.
(b) Yell from the steps of the Mayor's office.
(c) March through town.
(d) Tell everybody at church.
12. Only the town drunk and who vote against declaring Tom an enemy of the people in Act II Scene 2?
(a) Captain Horster.
(b) Mr. Hovstad.
(c) Mr. Aslaksen.
(d) Mr. Billing.
13. How does Peter enter in Act II Scene 1?
(a) From the attic.
(b) Through the front door.
(c) From the basement.
(d) Through the back door.
14. What word means to soften or tone down, as in one's beliefs?
15. What word refers to a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles that one does not really possess?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character claims to be a radical liberal?
2. What relative of Tom Stockmann's is exceptionally wealthy?
3. In Act II Scene 2, Tom claims that what is never right until it does right?
4. Who in Act II Scene 1 wants the article limited to the current matter and is not in favor of going after the entire city administration?
5. Peter claims in Act II Scene 2 that he only wants the town to understand that his brother's motive is to ridicule and destroy what?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)