|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who suggests that Tom act with moderation in Act II Scene 1 when Tom tells Hovstad that Peter has declared war?
(a) Catherine Stockmann.
(b) Peter Stockmann.
2. What is the setting of Act II Scene 2?
(a) Mr. Hovstad's house.
(b) Captain Horster's house.
(c) Mr. Aslaksen's house.
(d) Mr. Billing's house.
3. What word means that kept or keeping within reasonable or proper limits; not extreme, excessive, or intense?
4. In Act II Scene 1, to show Peter that his position is that of the people, Tom puts on what?
(a) His coat.
(b) Peter's coat.
(c) His hat.
(d) Peter's hat.
5. In Act II Scene 2, Peter warns who that he could have them arrested for posting a large sign on the town hall?
(d) Captain Horster.
6. In Act II Scene 1, Peter angrily declares that the report is based on hatred of what?
(a) The public.
(b) The environment.
7. After Tom leaves in Act II Scene 1, Hovstad comments to Aslaksen that Tom might prove to be what?
(a) The messiah.
(b) Valuable to them.
(c) A wolf in sheeps clothing.
8. Who is allowed to speak first at the gathering in Act II Scene 2?
9. What word refers to a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles that one does not really possess?
10. In Act II Scene 2, Peter makes a motion that Tom be prohibited from what?
(b) Standing watch.
(c) Taking the pledge.
(d) Reading the report.
11. Who in Act II Scene 1 wants the article limited to the current matter and is not in favor of going after the entire city administration?
(a) Captain Horster.
(b) Mr. Hovstad.
(c) Mr. Billing.
(d) Mr. Aslaksen.
12. In his speech in Act II Scene 2, Tom congratulates Hovstad for his what?
13. In his speech in Act II Scene 2, Tom states that in the past Hovstad had fought for what?
(b) Religious rights.
(c) Free speech.
(d) Women's rights.
14. In Act II Scene 1, Catherine lashes out at Hovstad for being what?
(a) A liberal.
(b) A fraud.
(d) A conservative.
15. Only the town drunk and who vote against declaring Tom an enemy of the people in Act II Scene 2?
(a) Mr. Aslaksen.
(b) Mr. Billing.
(c) Mr. Hovstad.
(d) Captain Horster.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act II Scene 1, Peter supplies the most "practical" solution, which is what?
2. What word means thoroughgoing or extreme, especially as regards change from accepted or traditional forms?
3. When Tom enters in Act II Scene 1, he tells Hovstad to do what?
4. In Act II Scene 2, Tom explains to the crowd that the dream he had for the Springs was to provide a way to do what?
5. What refers to a person authorized to examine publications, theatrical presentations, films, letters, etc, in order to suppress in whole or part those considered obscene or politically unacceptable?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)