|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kirsten Springs Institute is what type of corporation?
2. What word means that kept or keeping within reasonable or proper limits; not extreme, excessive, or intense?
3. In Act II Scene 1, Billing finishes reading the report which he declares to be what?
4. What slang term used by Billings refers to someone who is cowardly or afraid?
5. What compromise does Tom reach when reading the report at the gathering in Act II Scene 2?
(a) To talk softly.
(b) To not refer to the Institute by name.
(c) To talk for only ten minutes.
(d) To not offend anyone.
6. What refers to someone radically new or innovative who stands for revolt?
7. In Act II Scene 1, Aslaksen refuses to print the report as a what?
(b) Scientific conclusion.
(c) Special edition.
8. How does Peter enter in Act II Scene 1?
(a) From the basement.
(b) Through the front door.
(c) Through the back door.
(d) From the attic.
9. In Act II Scene 1, Billing suggests to Hovstad that they seek the support of Tom to do what?
(a) Test the water again.
(b) Take on the mayor.
(c) Back a newspaper.
(d) Start a new town.
10. In Act II Scene 2, Peter makes a motion that Tom be prohibited from what?
(a) Taking the pledge.
(b) Standing watch.
(c) Reading the report.
11. Who suggests that Tom act with moderation in Act II Scene 1 when Tom tells Hovstad that Peter has declared war?
(b) Peter Stockmann.
(d) Catherine Stockmann.
12. When was Galileo born?
13. When Tom returns in Act II Scene 1, he emphasizes again to Aslaksen that he does not want to be treated like what?
(a) A hero.
(b) A child.
(c) A king.
(d) A woman.
14. Tom discusses in Act II Scene 2 the fact that Galileo was brought to his knees for teaching what?
(a) The earth is flat.
(b) The earth revolves around the sun.
(c) Lightning is made of electricity.
(d) Apple's fall from trees.
15. Against the objection of some, Aslaksen is named what in Act II Scene 2?
(b) A liar.
(c) A lunatic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word refers to a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles that one does not really possess?
2. In Act II Scene 1, Peter points out to Aslaksen that the community will be what if the water system is dismantled and rebuilt?
3. Catherine asks Billing in Act II Scene 2 why he printed whose editorial instead of the report?
4. What refers to a form of government in which god or a deity is recognized as the supreme civil ruler?
5. As Peter speaks in Act II Scene 2, a man in the crowd shouts that Tom should be what?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)