|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Peter claims in Act II Scene 2 that he only wants the town to understand that his brother's motive is to ridicule and destroy what?
(a) People's lives.
(b) The springs.
(d) The town.
2. In Act II Scene 1, Hovstad corrects Peter's characterization of the contamination as what?
(a) A hallucination.
(b) A tall tale.
(c) A dream.
(d) A nightmare.
3. What does Hovstad call Tom during his speech in Act II Scene 2?
(a) A juvenile.
(b) An aristocrat.
(c) A murderer.
(d) A traitor.
4. What refers to a person authorized to examine publications, theatrical presentations, films, letters, etc, in order to suppress in whole or part those considered obscene or politically unacceptable?
5. In Act II Scene 2, Tom explains that he had to hold a lecture since no one would rent him what?
(a) A church.
(b) A hall.
(c) A park.
(d) A stage.
6. Who suggests that Tom act with moderation in Act II Scene 1 when Tom tells Hovstad that Peter has declared war?
(b) Peter Stockmann.
(c) Catherine Stockmann.
7. Tom claims in Act II Scene 2 that he stands against the conventional wisdom that the majority is what?
(a) The weakest.
(d) Always right.
8. Catherine asks Billing in Act II Scene 2 why he printed whose editorial instead of the report?
(b) Captain Horster's.
(c) His own.
(d) Mr. Kill's.
9. In Act II Scene 1, Peter points out to Aslaksen that the community will be what if the water system is dismantled and rebuilt?
10. In Act II Scene 1, to show Peter that his position is that of the people, Tom puts on what?
(a) His hat.
(b) Peter's hat.
(c) Peter's coat.
(d) His coat.
11. What word refers to a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles that one does not really possess?
12. In Act II Scene 1, Catherine lashes out at Hovstad for being what?
(a) A conservative.
(c) A fraud.
(d) A liberal.
13. In the beginning of Act II Scene 1, Hovstad tells Billing to lower his voice because who is in earshot?
(a) Tom Stockmann.
(b) Petra Stockmann.
(d) Peter Stockmann.
14. What refers to a form of government in which god or a deity is recognized as the supreme civil ruler?
15. In Act II Scene 2, Tom asks if he and his family can have passage where?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act II Scene 2, Tom claims that what is never right until it does right?
2. Only the town drunk and who vote against declaring Tom an enemy of the people in Act II Scene 2?
3. In Act II Scene 2, Billing tells Catherine that the meeting will prove to not be a place for what?
4. Who enters the newspaper office with a book that Hovstad asked to be translated for publication in the newspaper in Act II Scene 1?
5. Against the objection of some, Aslaksen is named what in Act II Scene 2?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)