|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Peter speaks in Act II Scene 2, a man in the crowd shouts that Tom should be what?
(a) Run out of town.
(b) Made the mayor.
2. What word means the process or an instance of obstructing legislation by means of long speeches and other delaying tactics?
3. In Act II Scene 1, Peter supplies the most "practical" solution, which is what?
(a) Tax the townspeople.
(b) Accuse Tom of lying.
(c) The water is corrected gradually.
(d) To ignore the report.
4. In his speech in Act II Scene 2, Tom congratulates Hovstad for his what?
5. In Act II Scene 2, Peter promises that if the springs are allowed to remain as they are, within how many years everyone in town will be wealthier, schools will be improved, the population will grow?
6. In Act II Scene 2, Tom explains that he had to hold a lecture since no one would rent him what?
(a) A stage.
(b) A hall.
(c) A park.
(d) A church.
7. Catherine asks Billing in Act II Scene 2 why he printed whose editorial instead of the report?
(a) Mr. Kill's.
(c) Captain Horster's.
(d) His own.
8. Only the town drunk and who vote against declaring Tom an enemy of the people in Act II Scene 2?
(a) Mr. Aslaksen.
(b) Captain Horster.
(c) Mr. Billing.
(d) Mr. Hovstad.
9. What refers to a government by the people or their elected representatives?
10. What is the setting of Act II Scene 2?
(a) Mr. Hovstad's house.
(b) Mr. Billing's house.
(c) Captain Horster's house.
(d) Mr. Aslaksen's house.
11. Catherine enters after Tom in Act II Scene 1 and demands that he do what?
(a) Talk to his brother.
(b) Go to work.
(c) Forget the report.
(d) Come home immediately.
12. Given little other options, in the end of Act II Scene 1, Tom vows to do what to spread the truth about the water system?
(a) Yell from the steps of the Mayor's office.
(b) Tell everybody at church.
(c) March through town.
(d) Publish his own paper.
13. What does Peter absentmindedly forget at the office when he leaves in Act II Scene 1?
(a) Some documents.
(b) A watch.
(c) His hat and cane.
(d) His coat.
14. Against the objection of some, Aslaksen is named what in Act II Scene 2?
(a) A lunatic.
(b) A liar.
15. What does Tom tell Peter that his cane represents in Act II Scene 1?
(a) The letter "I."
(b) The baton of command.
(c) A fishing pole.
(d) The needle of a compass.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to a form of government in which god or a deity is recognized as the supreme civil ruler?
2. How does Peter enter in Act II Scene 1?
3. Who enters the newspaper office with a book that Hovstad asked to be translated for publication in the newspaper in Act II Scene 1?
4. What refers to someone radically new or innovative who stands for revolt?
5. In Act II Scene 2, Tom tells the crowd that if he's not allowed to say his piece, he will go where?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)