|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting of Act I Scene 1?
(a) The mayor's office.
(b) Tom Stockmann's residence.
(c) A church.
(d) The springs.
2. Hovstad leaves in Act I Scene 2 planning to do what until the report is printed in the paper?
(a) Shout on a street corner.
(b) Go to the city council.
(c) Test the water himself.
(d) Write an editorial.
3. In Act I Scene 2, Peter wants Tom to agree to do what to the Council rather than provide them with the damaging report?
(a) Not show up for his meeting.
(b) Tell them everything is fine.
(c) Treat the incoming water.
(d) Make recommendations for improvements.
4. What is the name of Tom Stockmann's wife?
5. What does Peter say would plummet if the report were to be released in Act I Scene 2?
6. How much does Peter say an overhaul of the water system would cost in Act I Scene 2?
(a) Seventy thousand crowns.
(b) Hundreds of thousands of crowns.
(c) One million crowns.
(d) Five million crowns.
7. After Peter leaves in Act I Scene 2, Catherine reminds Tom that Peter has what?
(a) Incredible wealth.
(b) All the power.
(d) The Mayor's office.
8. Who is convinced that Tom is trying to pull a fast one on his brother and assumes the entire story is a joke in Act I Scene 2?
(a) Mr. Hovstad.
(b) Mr. Aslaksen.
(c) Peter Stockmann.
(d) Mr. Kill.
9. How long does Peter say an overhaul of the water system would take in Act I Scene 2?
(a) 12 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 2 years.
10. Who is Tom Stockmann's father-in-law?
(c) Morten Kill.
(d) Captain Horster.
11. Peter claims in Act I, Scene 1 that while Tom has lots of good ideas, it takes a person like himself to do what?
(a) Filter out the bad ideas.
(b) Put them into action.
(c) Critique them.
(d) Fine tune them.
12. How many pages is the report?
13. In Act I Scene 2, Tom explains that there is no what but simply a scientific report?
(a) Conclusive evidence.
(b) Published findings.
(c) Reason to panic.
14. Tom claims that Peter's views are closed and narrow due to his lack of what?
(d) Exposure to the world.
15. In Act I Scene 2, Tom accuses Peter of being unable to admit that he approved the construction of the Springs where?
(a) On an unstable hillside.
(b) In a bad location.
(c) On private land.
(d) In a poor town.
Short Answer Questions
1. What beverages are Tom, Catherine, Hovstad, and Captain Horster drinking when Tom's eldest child enters in Act I Scene 1?
2. Where did Arthur Miller's adaptation of "An Enemy of the People" first open?
3. What word refers to a person who betrays another, a cause, or any trust?
4. Peter Stockmann is described as nearing what age?
5. According to Tom in Act I Scene 1, the report confirms that the water contains what?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)