|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the boys come home from school and sense that their parents are in the middle of a conflict in Act I Scene 2, Tom tells them that he will be teaching them what?
(a) What the truth is.
(b) How the world works.
(c) The definition of corruption.
(d) What a man is.
2. What refers to a verified or indisputable fact, proposition, principle, or the like?
3. How long does Peter say an overhaul of the water system would take in Act I Scene 2?
(a) 12 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 10 years.
4. From whose original work did Arthur Miller adapt "An Enemy of the People"?
(a) Edgar Allan Poe.
(b) Lewis Carroll.
(c) Charles Dickens.
(d) Henrik Ibsen.
5. What word refers to a person who betrays another, a cause, or any trust?
6. Who separates Peter and Tom when they almost come to blows in Act I Scene 2?
(b) Captain Horster.
(c) Catherine and Petra.
(d) Petra and Morten.
7. Who is the mayor of the town in "An Enemy of the People"?
(a) Peter Stockmann.
(b) Morten Kill.
(c) Captain Horster.
(d) Tom Stockmann.
8. In Act I Scene 2, Hovstad claims to have been what his entire life?
(a) An underdog.
(c) A bird watcher.
9. When was the original play "An Enemy of the People" published?
10. What did Peter say in his note to Tom in the beginning of Act I Scene 2?
(a) He'd drop by later.
(b) Disregard the findings.
(c) Don't publish the report.
(d) He commissioned his own report.
11. Hovstad connects everything that's wrong with the town on what?
(a) The schools.
(b) The wealthy.
(c) The church.
(d) The bureaucrats.
12. What is the name of the newly constructed medicinal bath center just on the outskirts of the town?
(a) Kirsten Springs.
(b) Killroy Springs.
(c) Karney Springs.
(d) Karma Springs.
13. What is causing the waste in the water, according to the report?
(a) Oil drilling.
(b) A powerplant.
(c) A paper mill.
(d) The tannery.
14. Who does Hovstad accuse of being cowardly and in fear of standing up to authority in Act I Scene 2?
(a) Mr. Aslaksen.
(b) Catherine Stockmann.
(c) Mr. Billing.
(d) Tom Stockmann.
15. What character in the play shares the most characteristics with Tom Stockmann?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act I Scene 1, Tom announces that the baths which were so costly to develop are a what?
2. How many pages is the report?
3. Hovstad mentions to the mayor in Act I Scene 1 that the newspaper was running an article written by whom?
4. Who is Tom Stockmann's father-in-law?
5. What is the name of Tom Stockmann's wife?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)