|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Peter say in his note to Tom in the beginning of Act I Scene 2?
(a) He commissioned his own report.
(b) He'd drop by later.
(c) Don't publish the report.
(d) Disregard the findings.
2. Who separates Peter and Tom when they almost come to blows in Act I Scene 2?
(a) Catherine and Petra.
(b) Petra and Morten.
(d) Captain Horster.
3. What word refers to a person who betrays another, a cause, or any trust?
4. Where did Tom go to help the poor and afflicted when he was younger?
(a) The north.
(b) The west.
(c) The south.
(d) The east.
5. Tom Stockmann theorizes that the unsafe water that pours into Kirsten Springs originates where?
(a) Windmill Valley.
(c) Coal Point.
(d) Atomic Alley.
6. Who is the editor of the The People's Daily Messenger?
(a) Mr. Aslaksen.
(b) Mr. Hovstad.
(c) Mr. Billing.
(d) Mr. Kill.
7. Tom loves to watch his kids eat since they are the ones who will do what?
(a) Grow up someday.
(b) Look after him when he's old.
(c) Reinvent the wheel.
(d) Stir up the future.
8. Who does Hovstad accuse of being cowardly and in fear of standing up to authority in Act I Scene 2?
(a) Mr. Aslaksen.
(b) Mr. Billing.
(c) Tom Stockmann.
(d) Catherine Stockmann.
9. In Act I Scene 2, Peter wants Tom to agree to do what to the Council rather than provide them with the damaging report?
(a) Not show up for his meeting.
(b) Tell them everything is fine.
(c) Treat the incoming water.
(d) Make recommendations for improvements.
10. Who sent Tom a letter in Act I Scene 1?
(a) His neighbor.
(b) The local university lab.
(c) The federal government.
(d) A childhood friend.
11. Tom responds to Catherine's doubts in Act I Scene I saying that he has all of the what?
12. When the boys come home from school and sense that their parents are in the middle of a conflict in Act I Scene 2, Tom tells them that he will be teaching them what?
(a) What the truth is.
(b) What a man is.
(c) The definition of corruption.
(d) How the world works.
13. After Peter leaves in Act I Scene 2, Catherine reminds Tom that Peter has what?
(b) The Mayor's office.
(c) Incredible wealth.
(d) All the power.
14. What is causing the waste in the water, according to the report?
(a) The tannery.
(b) A paper mill.
(c) A powerplant.
(d) Oil drilling.
15. According to Tom, what must be dismantled in order for the population to be safe?
(a) The springs.
(b) The tannery.
(c) The mill.
(d) The hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspect of a water system overhaul does Peter accuse Tom of overlooking in Act I Scene 2?
2. With whom is Tom on a walk in the beginning of Act I Scene 1?
3. What department's finding in Act I Scene 2 states that if the overhaul of the water system is necessary, it is not an emergency and can wait?
4. In Act I Scene 2, Tom accuses Peter of being unable to admit that he approved the construction of the Springs where?
5. Who is the protagonist in "An Enemy of the People"?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)