|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act I Scene 2, Hovstad claims to have been what his entire life?
(b) A bird watcher.
(d) An underdog.
2. In Act I Scene 2, Hovstad says he sees this situation as his opportunity to keep his word in doing what?
(a) Protecting the people.
(b) Fighting the bureaucrats.
(c) Proving his worth.
(d) Reporting good news.
3. In Act I Scene 2, Peter accuses Tom of _______ the situation.
4. What character in the play shares the most characteristics with Tom Stockmann?
5. Who is Tom Stockmann's father-in-law?
(c) Morten Kill.
(d) Captain Horster.
6. Who does Hovstad accuse of being cowardly and in fear of standing up to authority in Act I Scene 2?
(a) Catherine Stockmann.
(b) Mr. Billing.
(c) Mr. Aslaksen.
(d) Tom Stockmann.
7. What refers to a verified or indisputable fact, proposition, principle, or the like?
8. Hovstad mentions to the mayor in Act I Scene 1 that the newspaper was running an article written by whom?
9. Who is convinced that Tom is trying to pull a fast one on his brother and assumes the entire story is a joke in Act I Scene 2?
(a) Mr. Kill.
(b) Mr. Aslaksen.
(c) Mr. Hovstad.
(d) Peter Stockmann.
10. Who is the assistant editor of The People's Daily Messenger?
(a) Mr. Hovstad.
(b) Mr. Kill.
(c) Mr. Billing.
(d) Mr. Aslaksen.
11. When the boys come home from school and sense that their parents are in the middle of a conflict in Act I Scene 2, Tom tells them that he will be teaching them what?
(a) What the truth is.
(b) What a man is.
(c) The definition of corruption.
(d) How the world works.
12. Tom claims in Act I Scene 1 that without something to fight for, you are what?
13. What did Peter say in his note to Tom in the beginning of Act I Scene 2?
(a) He'd drop by later.
(b) Don't publish the report.
(c) Disregard the findings.
(d) He commissioned his own report.
14. How much does Peter say an overhaul of the water system would cost in Act I Scene 2?
(a) Seventy thousand crowns.
(b) Hundreds of thousands of crowns.
(c) Five million crowns.
(d) One million crowns.
15. Peter claims in Act I, Scene 1 that while Tom has lots of good ideas, it takes a person like himself to do what?
(a) Filter out the bad ideas.
(b) Fine tune them.
(c) Critique them.
(d) Put them into action.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word refers to a person who betrays another, a cause, or any trust?
2. Where did Arthur Miller's adaptation of "An Enemy of the People" first open?
3. What occupant of the town is the commander of a ship which travels all over the world?
4. According to Tom, what must be dismantled in order for the population to be safe?
5. In Act I Scene 1, Tom announces that the baths which were so costly to develop are a what?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)