|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom's eldest child bring to him in Act I Scene 1?
(a) A jacket.
(b) A gift.
(c) A briefcase.
(d) A letter.
2. Who sent Tom a letter in Act I Scene 1?
(a) His neighbor.
(b) The federal government.
(c) The local university lab.
(d) A childhood friend.
3. Who represents small businessmen as well as the Temperance Society?
(a) Mr. Hovstad.
(b) Mr. Aslaksen.
(c) Mr. Billing.
(d) Peter Stockmann.
4. What aspect of a water system overhaul does Peter accuse Tom of overlooking in Act I Scene 2?
(c) Raw materials.
5. Hovstad leaves in Act I Scene 2 planning to do what until the report is printed in the paper?
(a) Shout on a street corner.
(b) Write an editorial.
(c) Test the water himself.
(d) Go to the city council.
6. Catherine is concerned that what will suffer if Tom has a public fight with Peter in Act I Scene 2?
(a) The environment.
(b) The Institute.
(c) The town.
(d) The family.
7. Who is the assistant editor of The People's Daily Messenger?
(a) Mr. Billing.
(b) Mr. Hovstad.
(c) Mr. Aslaksen.
(d) Mr. Kill.
8. How old is Ejlif?
9. In Act I Scene 2, Hovstad says he sees this situation as his opportunity to keep his word in doing what?
(a) Reporting good news.
(b) Protecting the people.
(c) Proving his worth.
(d) Fighting the bureaucrats.
10. In Act I Scene 1, Petra remembers that Tom warned the town not to build the Springs downstream from what?
(a) A factory.
(b) The tannery.
(c) The neighboring town.
(d) A pig farm.
11. What is the profession of Tom Stockmann's eldest child?
(d) Ship Captain.
12. What department's finding in Act I Scene 2 states that if the overhaul of the water system is necessary, it is not an emergency and can wait?
(a) Environmental Protection.
(c) Water Resource.
(d) City Engineering.
13. What is the name of the newly constructed medicinal bath center just on the outskirts of the town?
(a) Karney Springs.
(b) Killroy Springs.
(c) Kirsten Springs.
(d) Karma Springs.
14. What is the name of Tom Stockmann's maid?
15. In Act I Scene 2, Peter wants Tom to agree to do what to the Council rather than provide them with the damaging report?
(a) Treat the incoming water.
(b) Make recommendations for improvements.
(c) Tell them everything is fine.
(d) Not show up for his meeting.
Short Answer Questions
1. Catherine boasts in Act I Scene 1 that Tom literally "invented" what?
2. Tom responds to Catherine's doubts in Act I Scene I saying that he has all of the what?
3. Who is convinced that Tom is trying to pull a fast one on his brother and assumes the entire story is a joke in Act I Scene 2?
4. Catherine stuns Tom and Petra in Act I Scene 2 when she says, "What good is truth, without" what?
5. In Act I Scene 1, the mayor boasts that new medicinal bath center will be as popular as those where?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)