|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Tom Stockmann's father-in-law?
(a) Captain Horster.
(c) Morten Kill.
2. From whose original work did Arthur Miller adapt "An Enemy of the People"?
(a) Henrik Ibsen.
(b) Edgar Allan Poe.
(c) Lewis Carroll.
(d) Charles Dickens.
3. In Act I Scene 2, Tom accuses Peter of being unable to admit that he approved the construction of the Springs where?
(a) In a bad location.
(b) On private land.
(c) On an unstable hillside.
(d) In a poor town.
4. Who represents small businessmen as well as the Temperance Society?
(a) Peter Stockmann.
(b) Mr. Billing.
(c) Mr. Hovstad.
(d) Mr. Aslaksen.
5. Who does Hovstad accuse of being cowardly and in fear of standing up to authority in Act I Scene 2?
(a) Catherine Stockmann.
(b) Mr. Billing.
(c) Mr. Aslaksen.
(d) Tom Stockmann.
6. Who sent Tom a letter in Act I Scene 1?
(a) The local university lab.
(b) His neighbor.
(c) The federal government.
(d) A childhood friend.
7. In what year did Arthur Miller's adaptation of "An Enemy of the People" premiere?
8. In Act I Scene 2, Peter tells Tom that he is concerned about his what?
9. What is causing the waste in the water, according to the report?
(a) A paper mill.
(b) Oil drilling.
(c) The tannery.
(d) A powerplant.
10. In Act I Scene 2, Peter wants Tom to agree to do what to the Council rather than provide them with the damaging report?
(a) Make recommendations for improvements.
(b) Treat the incoming water.
(c) Tell them everything is fine.
(d) Not show up for his meeting.
11. In Act I Scene 1, the mayor boasts that new medicinal bath center will be as popular as those where?
12. What character in the play shares the most characteristics with Tom Stockmann?
13. In Act I Scene 2, Hovstad says he sees this situation as his opportunity to keep his word in doing what?
(a) Reporting good news.
(b) Fighting the bureaucrats.
(c) Proving his worth.
(d) Protecting the people.
14. What is the setting of Act I Scene 1?
(a) Tom Stockmann's residence.
(b) The mayor's office.
(c) The springs.
(d) A church.
15. Who separates Peter and Tom when they almost come to blows in Act I Scene 2?
(b) Petra and Morten.
(c) Captain Horster.
(d) Catherine and Petra.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act I Scene 2, Hovstad refers to the situation as what and plans to portray it as such in the newspaper?
2. Who is the mayor of the town in "An Enemy of the People"?
3. How much does Peter say an overhaul of the water system would cost in Act I Scene 2?
4. What is the profession of Tom Stockmann's eldest child?
5. Who is convinced that Tom is trying to pull a fast one on his brother and assumes the entire story is a joke in Act I Scene 2?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)