|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Tom in Act I Scene 1, the report confirms that the water contains what?
(a) Harmful bacteria.
(b) Infectious organic matter.
2. When Peter arrives in Act I Scene 2, he expresses disappointment that Tom did what behind his back?
(a) Paid for Hovstad's bail.
(b) Spent the inheritance.
(c) Conducted the investigation.
(d) Spoken with Sarah.
3. What is the name of Tom Stockmann's maid?
4. Peter Stockmann is described as nearing what age?
5. In Act I Scene 1, Petra remembers that Tom warned the town not to build the Springs downstream from what?
(a) A pig farm.
(b) A factory.
(c) The tannery.
(d) The neighboring town.
6. In Act I Scene 2, when Tom vows to stand up for his findings, Peter warns him that he will see to it that what?
(a) Tom is fired from the Institute.
(b) Tom is discredited.
(c) Tom will never be mayor.
(d) Tom disappears.
7. What is the setting of Act I Scene 1?
(a) A church.
(b) The springs.
(c) Tom Stockmann's residence.
(d) The mayor's office.
8. Where is Tom employed as an adviser?
(a) The City Engineering Department.
(b) The hospital.
(c) Kirsten Springs Institute.
(d) The Mayor's office.
9. What is the name of Tom Stockmann's eldest child?
10. Tom claims that Peter's views are closed and narrow due to his lack of what?
(a) Exposure to the world.
11. What occupant of the town is the commander of a ship which travels all over the world?
(a) Captain Hamblin.
(b) Captain Holiday.
(c) Captain Haley.
(d) Captain Horster.
12. What does Peter say would plummet if the report were to be released in Act I Scene 2?
13. Catherine boasts in Act I Scene 1 that Tom literally "invented" what?
(a) Carlsbad Springs.
(b) Merrimac Springs.
(c) Mammoth Springs.
(d) Kirsten Springs.
14. In Act I Scene 2, Hovstad says he sees this situation as his opportunity to keep his word in doing what?
(a) Protecting the people.
(b) Proving his worth.
(c) Reporting good news.
(d) Fighting the bureaucrats.
15. Who is Tom Stockmann's father-in-law?
(a) Morten Kill.
(c) Captain Horster.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Arthur Miller's adaptation of "An Enemy of the People" premiere?
2. Who is the protagonist in "An Enemy of the People"?
3. Peter claims in Act I, Scene 1 that while Tom has lots of good ideas, it takes a person like himself to do what?
4. In Act I Scene 2, Peter wants Tom to agree to do what to the Council rather than provide them with the damaging report?
5. From whose original work did Arthur Miller adapt "An Enemy of the People"?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)