|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Tom employed as an adviser?
(a) The hospital.
(b) The City Engineering Department.
(c) Kirsten Springs Institute.
(d) The Mayor's office.
2. Who is the editor of the The People's Daily Messenger?
(a) Mr. Billing.
(b) Mr. Hovstad.
(c) Mr. Aslaksen.
(d) Mr. Kill.
3. Tom insists that Hovstad wait to print the report in the paper until what in Act I Scene 2?
(a) The next day.
(b) A second sample is tested.
(c) He informs the city council.
(d) He talks to Peter.
4. In what year did Arthur Miller's adaptation of "An Enemy of the People" premiere?
5. What is the name of Tom Stockmann's wife?
6. When Peter arrives in Act I Scene 2, he expresses disappointment that Tom did what behind his back?
(a) Spoken with Sarah.
(b) Paid for Hovstad's bail.
(c) Conducted the investigation.
(d) Spent the inheritance.
7. Catherine boasts in Act I Scene 1 that Tom literally "invented" what?
(a) Mammoth Springs.
(b) Kirsten Springs.
(c) Merrimac Springs.
(d) Carlsbad Springs.
8. What is causing the waste in the water, according to the report?
(a) Oil drilling.
(b) A paper mill.
(c) A powerplant.
(d) The tannery.
9. What does Tom's eldest child bring to him in Act I Scene 1?
(a) A gift.
(b) A letter.
(c) A jacket.
(d) A briefcase.
10. In Act I Scene 2, Peter accuses Tom of _______ the situation.
11. According to Tom in Act I Scene 1, the report confirms that the water contains what?
(b) Infectious organic matter.
(d) Harmful bacteria.
12. Hovstad mentions to the mayor in Act I Scene 1 that the newspaper was running an article written by whom?
13. In Act I Scene 2, Hovstad says he sees this situation as his opportunity to keep his word in doing what?
(a) Reporting good news.
(b) Proving his worth.
(c) Fighting the bureaucrats.
(d) Protecting the people.
14. After Peter leaves in Act I Scene 2, Catherine reminds Tom that Peter has what?
(b) Incredible wealth.
(c) All the power.
(d) The Mayor's office.
15. In Act I Scene 1, Tom announces that the baths which were so costly to develop are a what?
(a) Cess pool.
(b) Pest hole.
(d) Death sentence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the newly constructed medicinal bath center just on the outskirts of the town?
2. Who is Tom Stockmann's father-in-law?
3. In Act I Scene 2, Tom explains that there is no what but simply a scientific report?
4. Who represents small businessmen as well as the Temperance Society?
5. What word refers to a person who betrays another, a cause, or any trust?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)