|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Hovstad accuse of being cowardly and in fear of standing up to authority in Act I Scene 2?
(a) Mr. Billing.
(b) Tom Stockmann.
(c) Catherine Stockmann.
(d) Mr. Aslaksen.
2. How old is Ejlif?
3. What is the setting of Act I Scene 2?
(a) Tom Stockmann's residence.
(b) Kirten Springs.
(c) The Mayors office.
(d) The Kirsten Springs Institute.
4. Tom Stockmann theorizes that the unsafe water that pours into Kirsten Springs originates where?
(a) Windmill Valley.
(c) Coal Point.
(d) Atomic Alley.
5. What character in the play shares the most characteristics with Tom Stockmann?
6. In Act I Scene 2, Peter wants Tom to agree to do what to the Council rather than provide them with the damaging report?
(a) Tell them everything is fine.
(b) Make recommendations for improvements.
(c) Not show up for his meeting.
(d) Treat the incoming water.
7. Hovstad leaves in Act I Scene 2 planning to do what until the report is printed in the paper?
(a) Shout on a street corner.
(b) Test the water himself.
(c) Write an editorial.
(d) Go to the city council.
8. What does Tom's eldest child bring to him in Act I Scene 1?
(a) A gift.
(b) A briefcase.
(c) A jacket.
(d) A letter.
9. In Act I Scene 2, Peter tells Tom that he is concerned about his what?
10. What department's finding in Act I Scene 2 states that if the overhaul of the water system is necessary, it is not an emergency and can wait?
(a) Environmental Protection.
(b) City Engineering.
(d) Water Resource.
11. In Act I Scene 1, Tom announces that the baths which were so costly to develop are a what?
(a) Cess pool.
(b) Death sentence.
(c) Pest hole.
12. With whom is Tom on a walk in the beginning of Act I Scene 1?
(a) Captain Horster.
(b) Morten and Ejlif.
(c) Peter Stockmann.
(d) Catherine Stockmann.
13. When was the original play "An Enemy of the People" published?
14. What is the profession of Tom Stockmann's eldest child?
(d) Ship Captain.
15. Hovstad connects everything that's wrong with the town on what?
(a) The bureaucrats.
(b) The schools.
(c) The wealthy.
(d) The church.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whose original work did Arthur Miller adapt "An Enemy of the People"?
2. In Act I Scene 2, Hovstad refers to the situation as what and plans to portray it as such in the newspaper?
3. Who is the assistant editor of The People's Daily Messenger?
4. Who is Tom Stockmann's father-in-law?
5. Where did Arthur Miller's adaptation of "An Enemy of the People" first open?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)