|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Peter arrives in Act I Scene 2, he expresses disappointment that Tom did what behind his back?
(a) Spent the inheritance.
(b) Paid for Hovstad's bail.
(c) Conducted the investigation.
(d) Spoken with Sarah.
2. Hovstad mentions to the mayor in Act I Scene 1 that the newspaper was running an article written by whom?
3. Who does Mr. Billing urge to stay for dinner in the beginning of Act I Scene 1?
(a) Mr. Hovstad.
(b) Captain Horster.
(c) Mr. Aslaksen.
(d) Mr. Kill.
4. From whose original work did Arthur Miller adapt "An Enemy of the People"?
(a) Edgar Allan Poe.
(b) Charles Dickens.
(c) Henrik Ibsen.
(d) Lewis Carroll.
5. According to Tom, what must be dismantled in order for the population to be safe?
(a) The springs.
(b) The hospital.
(c) The mill.
(d) The tannery.
6. Who is Tom Stockmann's father-in-law?
(a) Morten Kill.
(c) Captain Horster.
7. Who starred in Miller's premier of "An Enemy of the People"?
(a) John Barrymore.
(b) Fredric March.
(c) Cary Grant.
(d) Victor Mature.
8. In Act I Scene 2, Peter accuses Tom of _______ the situation.
9. In Act I Scene 2, when Tom vows to stand up for his findings, Peter warns him that he will see to it that what?
(a) Tom is discredited.
(b) Tom disappears.
(c) Tom will never be mayor.
(d) Tom is fired from the Institute.
10. Catherine stuns Tom and Petra in Act I Scene 2 when she says, "What good is truth, without" what?
11. Tom claims in Act I Scene 1 that without something to fight for, you are what?
12. What does Peter say would plummet if the report were to be released in Act I Scene 2?
13. How old is Ejlif?
14. Who is convinced that Tom is trying to pull a fast one on his brother and assumes the entire story is a joke in Act I Scene 2?
(a) Mr. Aslaksen.
(b) Mr. Hovstad.
(c) Peter Stockmann.
(d) Mr. Kill.
15. Catherine boasts in Act I Scene 1 that Tom literally "invented" what?
(a) Mammoth Springs.
(b) Kirsten Springs.
(c) Merrimac Springs.
(d) Carlsbad Springs.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act I Scene 1, Tom announces that the baths which were so costly to develop are a what?
2. Peter Stockmann is described as nearing what age?
3. Who is the editor of the The People's Daily Messenger?
4. In Act I Scene 2, Tom explains that there is no what but simply a scientific report?
5. Tom Stockmann theorizes that the unsafe water that pours into Kirsten Springs originates where?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)