|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tom insists that Hovstad wait to print the report in the paper until what in Act I Scene 2?
(a) A second sample is tested.
(b) He informs the city council.
(c) He talks to Peter.
(d) The next day.
2. In Act I Scene 1, Tom announces that the baths which were so costly to develop are a what?
(b) Cess pool.
(c) Pest hole.
(d) Death sentence.
3. In Act I Scene 2, Peter wants Tom to agree to do what to the Council rather than provide them with the damaging report?
(a) Tell them everything is fine.
(b) Make recommendations for improvements.
(c) Not show up for his meeting.
(d) Treat the incoming water.
4. Who is the assistant editor of The People's Daily Messenger?
(a) Mr. Aslaksen.
(b) Mr. Billing.
(c) Mr. Kill.
(d) Mr. Hovstad.
5. Peter claims in Act I, Scene 1 that while Tom has lots of good ideas, it takes a person like himself to do what?
(a) Fine tune them.
(b) Critique them.
(c) Put them into action.
(d) Filter out the bad ideas.
6. Tom loves to watch his kids eat since they are the ones who will do what?
(a) Grow up someday.
(b) Stir up the future.
(c) Look after him when he's old.
(d) Reinvent the wheel.
7. What does Tom's eldest child bring to him in Act I Scene 1?
(a) A briefcase.
(b) A letter.
(c) A jacket.
(d) A gift.
8. With whom is Tom on a walk in the beginning of Act I Scene 1?
(a) Captain Horster.
(b) Peter Stockmann.
(c) Catherine Stockmann.
(d) Morten and Ejlif.
9. In Act I Scene 2, Peter tells Tom that he is concerned about his what?
10. Who sent Tom a letter in Act I Scene 1?
(a) A childhood friend.
(b) The local university lab.
(c) The federal government.
(d) His neighbor.
11. According to Tom, what must be dismantled in order for the population to be safe?
(a) The hospital.
(b) The springs.
(c) The tannery.
(d) The mill.
12. How many pages is the report?
13. Who does Mr. Billing urge to stay for dinner in the beginning of Act I Scene 1?
(a) Mr. Kill.
(b) Captain Horster.
(c) Mr. Aslaksen.
(d) Mr. Hovstad.
14. When was the original play "An Enemy of the People" published?
15. What is the name of Tom Stockmann's wife?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the editor of the The People's Daily Messenger?
2. In Act I Scene 1, the mayor boasts that new medicinal bath center will be as popular as those where?
3. Where is Tom employed as an adviser?
4. Hovstad leaves in Act I Scene 2 planning to do what until the report is printed in the paper?
5. In what year did Arthur Miller's adaptation of "An Enemy of the People" premiere?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)