|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Geoffrey?
2. Who stands quietly together gazing out the window?
3. Who is Stella waiting for at the beginning of the book?
4. What does Meredith ask Stella when she hands him his sandwich?
5. How does Stella speak to Uncle Vernon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What response does Meredith receive from the people at the cafe?
2. How does Stella try to defend herself to Meredith at the beginning of the book?
3. What does Stella realize about the theater in the fifth chapter?
4. What is Meredith doing at the beginning of Chapter 4?
5. When do the actors have access to the stage and what is wrong with it?
6. How does opening night go for the first production in the book?
7. What does Stella do when arriving home from her date with Geoffrey?
8. What does John Harbour contribute to the fourth chapter?
9. Give a brief description of Geoffrey.
10. What is the relationship between Stella and Geoffrey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The teddy bear left in the empty theater seat during the flash-forward has multiple symbolic meanings. The reader is not aware of all of the meanings until the end of the book. Write about all the different symbolic meanings that the teddy bear carries.
Essay Topic 2
How has the war physically and emotionally wounded the people of Liverpool? Draw specific examples from the book including the stories that Stella tells about the men from the boarding house.
Essay Topic 3
Tell the series of events that Stella's lie to Dawn sets in motion. End with how it leads to the entrance of O'Hara.
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)