|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the cafe manager offer to Meredith?
2. What is a mystery about Geoffrey to Stella?
3. How do the people at the theater receive Stella?
4. What does Richard's crush offer him?
5. Where does Meredith go once he leaves the hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What response does Meredith receive from the people at the cafe?
2. How does Stella try to defend herself to Meredith at the beginning of the book?
3. What are Stella's jobs for the production?
4. Why is Stella displeased when she begins her work at the theater?
5. Who are the two men departing the theater as Stella arrives and where are they going?
6. What happens ten days before Stella's audition, and what does Uncle Vernon do in response?
7. What is Meredith doing at the beginning of Chapter 4?
8. Why does Uncle Vernon not go to Stella's audition?
9. What is Meredith expecting as he looks out toward the empty seats of the theater?
10. What does Stella realize about the theater in the fifth chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stella remains unattached and unemotional about most major events in her life. Cite specific examples from the book that tell of these events.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Meredith and Stella's characters. Be sure to discuss both of these characters actions and their attitudes about themselves and others.
Essay Topic 3
Tell of the ways that Stella lets the reader know that she feels unworthy and undeserving of anything good.
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)