|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who talks Stella into auditioning despite her cold feet?
2. How does Stella view Bunny's stature?
3. Who stands quietly together gazing out the window?
4. Who asks if the note sheds any light on what happens?
5. Who walks across the stage and looks out into the empty seats at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Stella and Geoffrey?
2. What does Meredith ask Stella when she hands him his sandwich?
3. Who is George and what is his assignment?
4. Give a brief description of Geoffrey.
5. How does opening night go for the first production in the book?
6. What special directions does Meredith give Stella at the rehearsal in Chapter 4?
7. When do the actors have access to the stage and what is wrong with it?
8. Where do Meredith, Bunny, and Stella go for tea and what happens when they get there?
9. What are Stella's jobs for the production?
10. Why does Uncle Vernon not go to Stella's audition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For most of the book Stella has not been a particularly sympathetic protagonist. At what point does this change for the reader and does the reader's heart go out to the emotionally damaged young woman? What causes this change?
Essay Topic 2
Tell about all of the ways that Stella manipulates others in the book. Include who she is manipulating and how she goes about doing it. Also be sure that you include why Stella feels the need to use manipulation in each of these situations.
Essay Topic 3
Did starting the book with a flash-forward add to the quality of the book or inhibit it? What are the benefits, as the reader, to having the information from the flash-forward? What are the drawbacks to being given the flash-forward?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)