|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What style of dress did Gandhi's family adopt upon their return to South Africa?
2. What promise does Gandhi make when he returns to India the second time?
3. What is Gandhi's opinion about British rule in India after he returns from South Africa?
4. How does Gandhi respond to the doctor's advice when his son, Manilal, becomes very ill?
5. What trouble does Gandhi's older brother get into?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the next issue the Indian Congress decides to take on after the Franchise Bill?
2. Gandhi receives a cable while living in Santa Cruz. What does the cable say and how does Gandhi respond?
3. What does Gandhi experiment with during his third stay in South Africa?
4. What happens when the government tries to move the Indians out of their quarters in Johannesburg?
5. What does Gandhi's friend, Mavji Dave, advise him to do?
6. What does Gandhi do with the gifts he is given before he returns to India the second time?
7. What influence does Gandhi's high school friend have on him?
8. How does Gandhi act on his loyalty to the British constitution?
9. What did a member of the High Court tell Gandhi after his speech in Bombay?
10. What happens when Gandhi tries his first case in India?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gandhi refused to eat meat, even at risk to his life. Why did Gandhi take this position? Did he feel it was extreme? Cite examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Did Gandhi developed his ideas individually, or did his life in the settlements form a support system and an environment to develop his outlook? State your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
One Gandhi observer stated that, "it cost a great deal of money to keep Gandhi living in poverty." What did that observer mean by that comment? Use examples from the book.
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)