|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens as a result of Gandhi's decision?
2. What promise did Gandhi make to Indian Christians in South Africa?
3. What causes a rift between Gandhi and his brother?
4. What is Gandhi's opinion about British rule in India after he returns from South Africa?
5. Why does Gandhi travel to the Transvaal during his third stay in South Africa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What action does Gandhi and his group take against the Asiatic Department in Johannesburg?
2. What happens when the government tries to move the Indians out of their quarters in Johannesburg?
3. What is the reaction from the whites when Gandhi returns to South Africa with his family?
4. What treatment does Gandhi encounter after he arrives in South Africa?
5. What is Gandhi told when he wants the Congress in Calcutta to pass his resolution?
6. What advice does Gandhi give to the Indian community in Pretoria after he takes interest in their plight?
7. What happens as a result of Gandhi missing the train in Allahabad?
8. Why does Gandhi stay in the Transvaal during his third stay in South Africa?
9. What happens when Gandhi tries his first case in India?
10. How does Gandhi's group serve the British during the Boer War?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One Gandhi observer stated that, "it cost a great deal of money to keep Gandhi living in poverty." What did that observer mean by that comment? Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
What were Gandhi's beliefs about forming close friendships? Why did he hold these beliefs and how did they benefit or hurt him? Please provide examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
What does Gandhi mean by ahimsa and satyagraha? What made satyagraha effective in overthrowing British oppression? Are there any weaknesses to the satygraha approach? Explain why, citing examples from the book.
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)