|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What problems does Gandhi encounter while traveling through the Transvaal?
2. What causes a rift between Gandhi and his brother?
3. What news does Gandhi receive after he returns to India?
4. How does the Indian Congress of Natal raise funds for their cause?
5. Who does Gandhi encounter after he misses his train in Allahabad?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Gandhi asked to stay in Natal after he finishes his work on his case?
2. What happens when the government tries to move the Indians out of their quarters in Johannesburg?
3. What action does Gandhi and his group take against the Asiatic Department in Johannesburg?
4. What is the nature of the two bills that are introduced in the legislature in South Africa after Gandhi's return? Are they ultimately passed?
5. What is the next issue the Indian Congress decides to take on after the Franchise Bill?
6. What does Gandhi witness at the Kali temple that makes an impression on him?
7. What does Gandhi do after the Congress in Calcutta concludes?
8. What does Gandhi's friend, Mavji Dave, advise him to do?
9. What problems does Gandhi encounter while traveling to Pretoria during the war?
10. What happens when Gandhi tries his first case in India?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Gandhi mobilize so many people to his goals? Did Gandhi's personal struggles resonate with the struggles preoccupying India? State your opinions with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
One Gandhi observer stated that, "it cost a great deal of money to keep Gandhi living in poverty." What did that observer mean by that comment? Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
How did Gandhi use fasting as a form of political activism? Use examples from the book.
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)