|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gandhi remind the Indian community in Durban after a plague outbreak?
(a) He reminds them of their duty and loyalty to India.
(b) To wash their hands before eating.
(c) To improve their sanitary habits so they can fight for their rights.
(d) To set their rat traps.
2. What ambition does Gandhi have for Kasturbai?
(a) To become a powerful leader.
(b) To nurse and care for others.
(c) To be educated.
(d) To stay at home and care for children.
3. How are the Indian quarters in Johannesburg referred to?
(a) As coolie locations.
(b) As Plague City.
(c) As the slave quarters.
(d) As the Banana Belt.
4. What advice does Mavji Dave give Gandhi?
(a) To eat a more varied diet for his health.
(b) To meet with Lord Chamberlain.
(c) To give up his public work.
(d) To practice law in Bombay.
5. What action does Gandhi's group take against the Asiatic Department in Johannesburg?
(a) They boycott all non-Indian goods and services.
(b) They refuse to get any permits through the Asiatic Department
(c) They go to the police and warrants are issued.
(d) They file a law suit.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Indians volunteer their services during the Boer War?
2. How does the Indian Congress of Natal raise funds for their cause?
3. What does Gandhi read in England that later becomes daily reading for him?
4. What do the stagecoach passengers tell the stagecoach staff, in regards to Gandhi, on the trip from Charlestown to Johannesburg?
5. Who suggests that Gandhi study law in England?
Short Essay Questions
1. What vow does Gandhi take during his second stay in South Africa and what does the vow entail?
2. What does Gandhi do after the Congress in Calcutta concludes?
3. What does Gandhi do with the gifts he is given before he returns to India the second time?
4. Gandhi receives a cable while living in Santa Cruz. What does the cable say and how does Gandhi respond?
5. What is the nature of the two bills that are introduced in the legislature in South Africa after Gandhi's return? Are they ultimately passed?
6. What does Gandhi do during his third stay in South Africa, even though it has a negative effect of Kasturbai?
7. What is the reaction from the whites when Gandhi returns to South Africa with his family?
8. What happens when the government tries to move the Indians out of their quarters in Johannesburg?
9. How does Gandhi act on his loyalty to the British constitution?
10. What happens when Gandhi and his brother travel to Bombay so Gandhi can sail to England?
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)