|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Balasundaram?
(a) He is one of the major financial backers of the Indian Congress of Natal.
(b) An indentured servant who exposes Gandhi to the plight of indentured servants in South Africa.
(c) Gandhi's clerk.
(d) He works with Gandhi in opposition of the Franchise Bill.
2. How are Gandhi's sons and nephew educated in South Africa?
(a) They are sent to a boarding school in Johannesburg.
(b) They attend public school.
(c) Gandhi hires an English governess.
(d) Kasturbai teaches them.
3. What does the Indian community open in South Africa with the generosity of Mr. Rustoraji?
(a) An open-air market.
(b) A charity hospital.
(c) A soup kitchen.
(d) A community center.
4. Who assists Gandhi after he arrives in England?
(a) Mr. Lely.
(b) Mavji Dave.
(c) Dr. Mehta.
(d) Sjt. Mazmudar.
5. What does Gandhi attribute to the underlying cause of their argument?
(a) Lack of sleep.
(c) Not enough food.
(d) Kasturbai's disagreeable nature.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gandhi assist Narayan Hemchandra?
2. How are the Indian quarters in Johannesburg referred to?
3. Who does Gandhi give away at her wedding?
4. What does Gandhi witness at the Kali temple that affects him deeply?
5. Who helps Gandhi acclimate to South Africa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gandhi experiment with during his third stay in South Africa?
2. How does Gandhi's group serve the British during the Boer War?
3. What is the reaction from the whites when Gandhi returns to South Africa with his family?
4. What did a member of the High Court tell Gandhi after his speech in Bombay?
5. What is the nature of the two bills that are introduced in the legislature in South Africa after Gandhi's return? Are they ultimately passed?
6. What does Gandhi's friend, Mavji Dave, advise him to do?
7. What is Gandhi's relationship like with Narayan Hemchandra?
8. Why is Gandhi asked to stay in Natal after he finishes his work on his case?
9. Gandhi receives a cable while living in Santa Cruz. What does the cable say and how does Gandhi respond?
10. What vow does Gandhi take during his second stay in South Africa and what does the vow entail?
This section contains 1,122 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)