|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gandhi respond to the doctor's advice when his son, Manilal, becomes very ill?
(a) He seeks a second opinion.
(b) He follows some of the doctor's instructions.
(c) He ignores the doctor's orders.
(d) He follows the doctor's orders.
2. What is Gandhi's opinion about British rule in India after he returns from South Africa?
(a) He believes that although British rule is not helpful presently, it will ultimately be beneficial.
(b) He believes British rule is beneficial and acceptable.
(c) He believes British rule in undermining the good of the Indian people.
(d) He believes British rule has little effect on the Indian people.
3. What activities does Gandhi undertake to save money during his second trip to South Africa?
(a) Cutting coupons and walking to his destination.
(b) Doing laundry in-house and cutting his own hair.
(c) Making his own clothes and grinding wheat into flour.
(d) Growing his own vegetables and making his own shoes.
4. In Gandhi's opinion, what subject should be taught in school?
(a) Personal hygiene.
5. What does Gandhi do when he is informed that he will have to travel third class on the train to Pretoria?
(a) He files a civil suit in court.
(b) He becomes indignant and writes a letter to the editor to the newspaper in Pretoria.
(c) He finds a loophole in the train company regulations and purchases a first-class ticket.
(d) He bleaches his skin and claims he is a white man, then purchases a first class ticket.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the court in South Africa ask Gandhi to do when he is introduced?
2. Who assists Gandhi after he arrives in England?
3. What does Gandhi attribute to the underlying cause of their argument?
4. What is Mr. Chamberlain's attitude toward the Indian delegation in South Africa?
5. What happens when Gandhi lends money to a woman to open a vegetarian restaurant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gandhi do with the gifts he is given before he returns to India the second time?
2. What does Gandhi do during his third stay in South Africa, even though it has a negative effect of Kasturbai?
3. Gandhi receives a cable while living in Santa Cruz. What does the cable say and how does Gandhi respond?
4. Why is Gandhi asked to stay in Natal after he finishes his work on his case?
5. What does Gandhi do after the Congress in Calcutta concludes?
6. How does Gandhi's group serve the British during the Boer War?
7. What influence does Gandhi's high school friend have on him?
8. What did a member of the High Court tell Gandhi after his speech in Bombay?
9. What is Gandhi's relationship like with Narayan Hemchandra?
10. What is the nature of the two bills that are introduced in the legislature in South Africa after Gandhi's return? Are they ultimately passed?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)