|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What resolution is proposed in March 1916?
(a) A resolution to end the indentured servant system.
(b) A resolution to end the poll tax.
(c) A resolution to establish the central provinces.
(d) A resolution to have India become an independent state.
2. What does the Gandhi family do after the offer for services of the Indian Ambulance Corps is accepted by the South African Government?
(a) They sell all of their possessions.
(b) They return to India.
(c) The family volunteers its services.
(d) They close down their house in Johannesburg.
3. To Gandhi, the only means for the realization of truth is ___?
4. What does Gandhi have Kasturbai omit from her diet?
5. What does Mr. Polak give to Gandhi before he boards the train to return to Durban?
(a) A jacket.
(b) Some money.
(c) A book.
(d) Some food.
6. What is the Khadi Movement?
(a) The use of Indian-produced products.
(b) Of being self-reliant.
(c) The use of hand-woven products.
(d) The use of the traditional karahi cooking vessel for cooking kadai dishes.
7. What role does Gandhi take at Tolstoy Farm?
(a) As a spritual leader.
(b) As a dietary advisor.
(c) Educating children.
(d) A nursing function.
8. What is Gandhi's approach to opposing the tinkathia system?
(a) To have the merchants keep more of their profits.
(b) Meeting with both farmers and tenants to learn the facts.
(c) To talk to others in India to persuade them to give the untouchables more rights.
(d) To have Indian natives oversee the education of their children.
9. What is the final government action in the Indian district in Johannesburg?
(a) It is emptied out and burned.
(b) There is an order for the district to be resettled by Boers.
(c) It becomes an independent district.
(d) It is rehabilitated.
10. What is Gandhi warned about before traveling to Amritsar?
(a) He does not have the necessary papers to travel there.
(b) His health to too fragile to travel there.
(c) The people will not follow his wishes.
(d) Of the potential for his arrest.
11. What is Gandhi's philosophy to exposing children to those who are less desirable?
(a) That exposing children to different types of people helps to develop their character.
(b) They develop a sense of empathy.
(c) They are a bad influence on other children.
(d) The good children can positively influence the natures of the bad children.
12. What plans does Gandhi have for the group from South Africa when they arrive in India?
(a) To live on a settlement like the Phoenix Settlement.
(b) To recruit people to their cause.
(c) To sightsee.
(d) To begin Satyagraha.
13. What does Gandhi do during a strike in the mills?
(a) He travels.
(b) He fasts.
(c) He makes speeches.
(d) He marches in picket lines
14. Who coins the name for the passive resistance movement?
(a) Mahatma Gandhi.
(b) Maganlal Gandhi.
(c) Mr. Polak.
15. What is the concern when Gandhi wants to join the Servants of India Society?
(a) That Gandhi will take over the group.
(b) Whether he is committed enough to their aims.
(c) Whether or not they can accept Gandhi's beliefs.
(d) Whether he can afford the dues.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gandhi promise the governor after their meeting in Bombay?
2. What happens after Gandhi's suggestion for arbitration for workers' wages is rejected?
3. What agreement does Gandhi refuse to make with the Inspector of Police from Lahore?
4. What is the name Gandhi's group coins for their passive resistance movement?
5. The quest for truth has drawn Gandhi to what field?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)