|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What complicates the government's efforts when they try to move Indians out of their district in Johannesburg?
(a) There will be a labor supply shortage.
(b) It is illegal to evict the tenants under the government premises.
(c) There is no place to relocate the Indians.
(d) The Indians have 99-year tenancy rights on their leases.
2. What services does Gandhi perform at the Congress in Calcutta?
(a) Clerical work
(b) Hospitality work
(c) Legal work
(d) Sanitary work
3. What activities does Gandhi undertake to save money during his second trip to South Africa?
(a) Cutting coupons and walking to his destination.
(b) Growing his own vegetables and making his own shoes.
(c) Making his own clothes and grinding wheat into flour.
(d) Doing laundry in-house and cutting his own hair.
4. What does Gandhi do with the gifts showered on him for his second departure from South Africa?
(a) They are put in a public trust fund for the community.
(b) They are kept at Abdulla Sheth's house for safekeeping until Gandhi returns.
(c) He keeps them.
(d) They are sold and the money is sent to India.
5. Gandhi invites which group of people to live with his family?
(a) The English.
(b) The Boers.
(c) The Untouchables.
(d) The Zulus.
6. What problems does Gandhi encounter while traveling through the Transvaal?
(a) His luggage is lost.
(b) He is arrested for bribing an official.
(c) He has to travel third class.
(d) He does not have the proper permit.
7. What does Gandhi think about his abilities to practice law after passing the bar exams?
(a) He thinks he does not have any practical experience.
(b) He thinks he has the persuasive abilities to win trials.
(c) He thinks that his discipline and practices will help him succeed.
(d) He thinks his aptitude is stronger in medicine and does not think he will be successful.
8. Who does Gandhi encounter after he misses his train in Allahabad?
(a) A newspaper editor, Mr. Chesney, Jr.
(b) A businessman, Mr. Brooks.
(c) A political agent, Mr. Keith.
(d) A barrister, Mr. Cyrus.
9. What trouble does Gandhi's older brother get into?
(a) He gives wrong advice to the Ranasaheb of Porbandar.
(b) He embezzles some money.
(c) He insults a British Political Agent.
(d) He becomes an outcast from their caste.
10. What happens after the government does not move the Indians out of the district in Johannesburg?
(a) The Indians decide to move out on their own accord.
(b) The government cuts off the water supply.
(c) There is a black plague outbreak.
(d) There is a big celebration in the Indian district.
11. Who is Balasundaram?
(a) Gandhi's clerk.
(b) An indentured servant who exposes Gandhi to the plight of indentured servants in South Africa.
(c) He is one of the major financial backers of the Indian Congress of Natal.
(d) He works with Gandhi in opposition of the Franchise Bill.
12. Which one of these dietary practices and treatments does Gandhi NOT try?
(a) He stops eating breakfast.
(b) He applies a mud poultice to his abdomen.
(c) He stops eating cooked foods.
(d) He recommends a diet of fruit and nuts.
13. What is the next issue the Indian Congress takes on after the Franchise Bill?
(a) Indians not being able to ride in the first-class section on trains.
(b) The sanitary conditions in the Indian District in Johannesburg.
(c) A bill that if passed, would have Indians paying higher taxes on food.
(d) A tax on indentured servants.
14. Why did the Indian community in Natal ask Gandhi to stay in South Africa?
(a) To fight the passage of the Franchise Bill.
(b) To heal them with his home remedies.
(c) To have him become a partner in the law firm.
(d) To have him fight for the rights of indentured servants.
15. What advice does Mavji Dave give Gandhi?
(a) To eat a more varied diet for his health.
(b) To meet with Lord Chamberlain.
(c) To practice law in Bombay.
(d) To give up his public work.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gandhi spend his time in Bengal?
2. How do the Indians volunteer their services during the Boer War?
3. What is Gandhi's opinion about British rule in India after he returns from South Africa?
4. What does Gandhi think about the lodging at Ripon college during the Congress in Calcutta?
5. What does Gandhi read in England that later becomes daily reading for him?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)