|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mr. Chamberlain's attitude toward the Indian delegation in South Africa?
(a) He is very supportive.
(b) He is very patronizing.
(c) He is not interested.
(d) He is hostile
2. How does Gandhi assist Narayan Hemchandra?
(a) He helps Hemchandra sell his books.
(b) He cooks vegetarian meals for him.
(c) He introduces Hemchandra to helpful people.
(d) He teaches him English and serves as a translator.
3. What does Gandhi promise his mother before he departs for England?
(a) To study hard.
(b) Not to lose touch with his Indian roots.
(c) Not to touch wine or women or eat meat.
(d) To write home every week.
4. Why does Gandhi stay in the Transvaal?
(a) To observe the conditions in Indian communities.
(b) To wait until his luggage is relocated.
(c) To serve his jail sentence.
(d) To enroll in the court to deal with the Asiatic Department.
5. What does Gandhi think about the lodging at Ripon college during the Congress in Calcutta?
(a) That it should be the model for other meetings in the future.
(b) That the unsanitary conditions are ripe for a disease outbreak.
(c) That the building should be condemned.
(d) That it is a collection of great thinkers.
6. In what field does Gandhi's father work?
(a) In manufacturing.
(b) In law.
(c) In public service.
(d) In education.
7. Who does Gandhi give away at her wedding?
(a) His Scottish clerk.
(b) A nearby villager.
(c) A servant.
(d) Abdulla Sheth's niece.
8. Who suggests that Gandhi study law in England?
(a) Mr. Lely.
(c) Mavji Dave (Joshiji).
(d) Gandhi's older brother.
9. What promise did Gandhi make to Indian Christians in South Africa?
(a) That he would consider converting to Christianity.
(b) That he would meet with Indian Christians in India.
(c) That he would read the Bible.
(d) That he would deliver a cross to a church in Calcutta.
10. Why does Gandhi travel to the Transvaal during his third stay in South Africa?
(a) For a vacation.
(b) For a meeting with a head of state.
(c) To observe conditions in Indian communities.
(d) To prepare a case in Pretoria.
11. What does Gandhi witness at the Kali temple that affects him deeply?
(a) A little girl making an offering to a god.
(b) The slaughtering of lambs.
(c) The property had been defaced.
(d) A monk protesting British rule.
12. Gandhi invites which group of people to live with his family?
(a) The Untouchables.
(b) The English.
(c) The Zulus.
(d) The Boers.
13. What happens when Gandhi lends money to a woman to open a vegetarian restaurant?
(a) She needs more money and asks for another loan.
(b) She dies and her son assumes the loan.
(c) She repays Gandhi.
(d) She defaults on the loan.
14. What does Gandhi receive from South Africa after his family moves for better ventilation?
(a) A post card.
(b) A gift.
(c) An offer from his former law firm.
(d) A cable requesting his return.
15. What does Gandhi do after the Congress in Calcutta concludes?
(a) He writes articles for newspapers.
(b) He reads books about diet and home remedies.
(c) He enlists support for his work in South Africa.
(d) He returns to London.
Short Answer Questions
1. What intention does Gandhi announce in Burma?
2. Who is Balasundaram?
3. What does Gandhi do with the gifts showered on him for his second departure from South Africa?
4. What dietary advice written in a pamphlet does Gandhi later recant?
5. What is the nature of the two bills passed in the legislature upon Gandhi's return?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)