|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 4, Chapters 1-5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the nature of the two bills passed in the legislature upon Gandhi's return?
(a) To restrict the import of Indian goods; to restrict the travel of Indians in South Africa.
(b) To place a curfew on Indians; to prohibit a group of more than twelve Indians to congregate.
(c) To create difficulties for Indian traders; to curb Indian immigration.
(d) To place a tax on Indians; to restrict Indian goods and services.
2. What position do the South African newspapers take after Gandhi's interview?
(a) They side with Gandhi.
(b) They side with the crowds.
(c) They side with the British Empire.
(d) They side with the local government.
3. What promise does Gandhi make when he returns to India the second time?
(a) That he will recruit more volunteers to send to South Africa.
(b) That he will send them care packages from India.
(c) That he will work for Indian independence.
(d) That he will return in a year if he is needed.
4. How does Gandhi respond to the doctor's advice when his son, Manilal, becomes very ill?
(a) He ignores the doctor's orders.
(b) He follows some of the doctor's instructions.
(c) He seeks a second opinion.
(d) He follows the doctor's orders.
5. Why must Gandhi and his family wait before they can disembark from their ship in Durban?
(a) They are trying to find a place to live.
(b) Their papers are not in order.
(c) They arrived early and they are waiting for Abdullah Sheth to return to South Africa.
(d) A physician orders a five-day quarantine to ensure no one has the plague.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens at the meeting between Gandhi and Dr. P.C. Ray?
2. What happens when Gandhi attends the vegetarian convention in Portsmouth?
3. What style of dress did Gandhi's family adopt upon their return to South Africa?
4. Where do Gandhi and his family move for better ventilation?
5. Who does Gandhi recommend to fill in for him when he returns to India to visit his family?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)