|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darcy consider Elizabeth's strange behavior in Chapter 9 payback for?
2. Of what does Elizabeth say Darcy's admiration may be detrimental in Chapter 7?
3. What does Darcy pocket in Chapter 7 as Bingley enters the library?
4. Why does Elizabeth exit the church as Darcy is entering the church in Chapter 8?
5. What does Darcy do in the coach instead of continuing the conversation with Bingley from the inn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What appalls Darcy at the dinner table in Chapter 10?
2. How do Darcy and Bingley feel about attending Lady Melbourne's soiree?
3. What reason does Darcy give for turning down Miss Bingley's invitation to join her and Elizabeth on a walk around the room?
4. How do the Bennet's further embarrass themselves at the ball in Chapter 10?
5. What does Darcy instruct Miss Bingley to do to keep Jane and Bingley apart?
6. How does Elizabeth respond when Darcy blames himself for her coldness in Chapter 9?
7. How does Bingley respond when Darcy asks him about Jane's regard for him?
8. Describe Bingley's and Darcy's entrance to Lady Melbourne's soiree.
9. Why is Bingley annoyed during the ball in Chapter 9?
10. How do Darcy and Elizabeth criticize each other in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the dialogue in the novel "An Assembly Such As This". How would you describe the dialogue? How does it reflect the setting of the novel? Is it similar to the Austen novel that it seeks to emulate in terms of dialogue?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the novel. How does the setting affect the plot and the characters? How do Darcy, Bingley and Miss Bingley view the country versus the city setting? What do the Bingley sisters think of the characters who live in the country?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of jealousy in the novel "An Assembly Such As This". What is Miss Bingley jealous of? Does Darcy ever show signs of jealousy? What is Bingley jealous of? What do these feelings tell the reader about the feelings of these characters?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)