|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elizabeth exit the church as Darcy is entering the church in Chapter 8?
2. What does Darcy consider Elizabeth's strange behavior in Chapter 9 payback for?
3. On the ride to the church in Chapter 8, what is Darcy distracted with?
4. What is Dy going to help Darcy do at Lady Melbourne's soiree?
5. What does Darcy describe Lady Caroline as?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hinchcliffe discuss with Darcy in Chapter 11?
2. Why is Fletcher overly concerned with Darcy's clothes at the beginning of Chapter 8?
3. How does Elizabeth respond when Darcy asks her about their encounter in Meryton in Chapter 9?
4. Why does Darcy decide to leave the soiree in Chapter 12?
5. What disturbance takes place at the church in Chapter 8?
6. What reason does Darcy give for turning down Miss Bingley's invitation to join her and Elizabeth on a walk around the room?
7. How does Darcy dress for Lady Melbourne's soiree?
8. What do Elizabeth and Darcy talk about during their dance in Chapter 9?
9. What does Georgiana's letter to Darcy say in Chapter 8?
10. How do Darcy and Bingley feel about attending Lady Melbourne's soiree?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the genre of the novel "An Assembly Such As This"? Discuss this genre and some common elements of the genre. Discuss how romance novels try to satisfy their readers. What methods are used to please the readers? What elements of a romance novel are necessary to meet the expectations of the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "An Assembly Such As This". Is family important to Darcy? What is his relationship like with his younger sister Georgiana? What does he think of Elizabeth's family? Might they cause problems for Darcy and Elizabeth?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the secondary characters of the novel "An Assembly Such As This". Who are the secondary characters of the novel? What are their roles in the novel? What relationships do they have with the protagonist?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)