|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darcy consider Elizabeth's strange behavior in Chapter 9 payback for?
2. What does Darcy tell Elizabeth is her fault in Chapter 7?
3. How does Elizabeth react when Darcy asks her to dance in Chapter 9?
4. Why is Darcy convinced that he cannot allow Bingley to continue his pursuit of Jane Bennet?
5. How does Elizabeth reply when Darcy asks her about the books she reads?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Darcy and Bingley feel about attending Lady Melbourne's soiree?
2. Describe Bingley's and Darcy's entrance to Lady Melbourne's soiree.
3. How does Elizabeth respond when Darcy asks her about their encounter in Meryton in Chapter 9?
4. How does Bingley respond when Darcy asks him about Jane's regard for him?
5. What do Elizabeth and Darcy talk about during their dance in Chapter 9?
6. What surprises Darcy about Elizabeth's choice of reading material in Chapter 7?
7. Why is Bingley annoyed during the ball in Chapter 9?
8. Why is Fletcher overly concerned with Darcy's clothes at the beginning of Chapter 8?
9. How does Darcy dress for Lady Melbourne's soiree?
10. What does Darcy instruct Miss Bingley to do to keep Jane and Bingley apart?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "An Assembly Such As This". Is family important to Darcy? What is his relationship like with his younger sister Georgiana? What does he think of Elizabeth's family? Might they cause problems for Darcy and Elizabeth?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author of the novel, Pamela Aidan. Is she a respected novelist? What has she achieved throughout her career? What types of novels does she write? Are there similarities between "An Assembly Such As This" and her other novels?
Essay Topic 3
According to literary critics, how does "An Assembly Such As This" compare to Austen's work "Pride and Prejudice" in terms of writing style, tone and plot? Jane Austen novels are still widely read. Why are Jane Austen novels still so popular today? Why might a pastiche or fan fiction be popular with Austen fans?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)