|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why had Georgiana sent a letter requesting money in Chapter 11?
2. Who is seated across from Darcy in Chapter 10?
3. Where do Bingley and Darcy encounter the Bennet sisters in Chapter 8?
4. How does Darcy feel about Elizabeth's departure from Netherfield?
5. What time of day does Darcy plan to leave Netherfield in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Georgiana's letter to Darcy say in Chapter 8?
2. What disturbance takes place at the church in Chapter 8?
3. Why does Darcy watch Bingley and Jane closely in Chapter 10? What conclusion does he come to?
4. How do Darcy and Elizabeth criticize each other in Chapter 7?
5. Who is Lord Dyford Brougham?
6. How does Bingley respond when Darcy asks him about Jane's regard for him?
7. How does Elizabeth respond when Darcy asks her about their encounter in Meryton in Chapter 9?
8. Describe Bingley's and Darcy's entrance to Lady Melbourne's soiree.
9. How do Darcy and Bingley feel about attending Lady Melbourne's soiree?
10. Why is Fletcher overly concerned with Darcy's clothes at the beginning of Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the protagonist of the novel, Fitzwilliam Darcy. What are his defining character traits? What people or places are important to him and why? Who and what does he despise? How does he interact with others?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author of the novel, Pamela Aidan. Is she a respected novelist? What has she achieved throughout her career? What types of novels does she write? Are there similarities between "An Assembly Such As This" and her other novels?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of jealousy in the novel "An Assembly Such As This". What is Miss Bingley jealous of? Does Darcy ever show signs of jealousy? What is Bingley jealous of? What do these feelings tell the reader about the feelings of these characters?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)