|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darcy describe Lady Caroline as?
2. What does Fletcher convince Darcy to change into in Chapter 9?
3. Why is Darcy convinced that he cannot allow Bingley to continue his pursuit of Jane Bennet?
4. What is the name of Darcy's London home?
5. What does Darcy tell Elizabeth is her fault in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Darcy decide to leave the soiree in Chapter 12?
2. How does Darcy dress for Lady Melbourne's soiree?
3. Why does Darcy watch Bingley and Jane closely in Chapter 10? What conclusion does he come to?
4. What reason does Darcy give for turning down Miss Bingley's invitation to join her and Elizabeth on a walk around the room?
5. How do Darcy and Elizabeth criticize each other in Chapter 7?
6. What does Darcy instruct Miss Bingley to do to keep Jane and Bingley apart?
7. Who is Lord Dyford Brougham?
8. How do Darcy and Bingley feel about attending Lady Melbourne's soiree?
9. Why is Fletcher overly concerned with Darcy's clothes at the beginning of Chapter 8?
10. How does Bingley respond when Darcy asks him about Jane's regard for him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel. How does the setting affect the plot and the characters? How do Darcy, Bingley and Miss Bingley view the country versus the city setting? What do the Bingley sisters think of the characters who live in the country?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Aidan's use of foreshadowing in the novel "An Assembly Such As This". What aspects of the plot does she use foreshadowing to hint at? What does the reader learn of Darcy's feelings for Elizabeth before he does through foreshadowing? What does Darcy's distaste for Elizabeth's family foreshadow?
Essay Topic 3
What is the genre of the novel "An Assembly Such As This"? Discuss this genre and some common elements of the genre. Discuss how romance novels try to satisfy their readers. What methods are used to please the readers? What elements of a romance novel are necessary to meet the expectations of the reader?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)