|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose tradition is it to spend Christmas at Pemberley?
2. Who does Darcy plan to have paint Georgiana?
3. What is Darcy's horse named?
4. What dance does Lady Caroline begin dancing that shocks Darcy in Chapter 12?
5. What is the name of Darcy's London home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises Darcy about Elizabeth's choice of reading material in Chapter 7?
2. What does Darcy instruct Miss Bingley to do to keep Jane and Bingley apart?
3. Why is Fletcher overly concerned with Darcy's clothes at the beginning of Chapter 8?
4. What appalls Darcy at the dinner table in Chapter 10?
5. How does Bingley respond when Darcy asks him about Jane's regard for him?
6. What happens during Darcy's and Bingley's trip to Meryton in Chapter 8?
7. What disturbance takes place at the church in Chapter 8?
8. Who is Lord Dyford Brougham?
9. Why is Bingley annoyed during the ball in Chapter 9?
10. How does Elizabeth respond when Darcy asks her about their encounter in Meryton in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the dialogue in the novel "An Assembly Such As This". How would you describe the dialogue? How does it reflect the setting of the novel? Is it similar to the Austen novel that it seeks to emulate in terms of dialogue?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Darcy and Elizabeth. How does it change throughout the novel? How do Darcy's feelings for Elizabeth evolve as the novel progresses? What does Darcy like about Elizabeth? What does he realize about their relationship in the end?
Essay Topic 3
What is the genre of the novel "An Assembly Such As This"? Discuss this genre and some common elements of the genre. Discuss how romance novels try to satisfy their readers. What methods are used to please the readers? What elements of a romance novel are necessary to meet the expectations of the reader?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)