|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darcy dissuade Bingley from rushing into in Chapter 11?
2. What does Elizabeth suggest Darcy comment on during their dance in Chapter 9?
3. What color outfit does Darcy wear to the soiree in Chapter 12?
4. How does Fletcher respond when Darcy asks him if he is sorry to leave Herfordshire in Chapter 9?
5. What is the name of Darcy's London home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bingley's and Darcy's entrance to Lady Melbourne's soiree.
2. Why is Fletcher overly concerned with Darcy's clothes at the beginning of Chapter 8?
3. Why does Darcy watch Bingley and Jane closely in Chapter 10? What conclusion does he come to?
4. How does Darcy dress for Lady Melbourne's soiree?
5. What surprises Darcy about Elizabeth's choice of reading material in Chapter 7?
6. What happens during Darcy's and Bingley's trip to Meryton in Chapter 8?
7. What do Darcy and Bingley talk about during their journey in Chapter 11?
8. Why is Bingley annoyed during the ball in Chapter 9?
9. How does Elizabeth respond when Darcy asks her about their encounter in Meryton in Chapter 9?
10. What disturbance takes place at the church in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the dialogue in the novel "An Assembly Such As This". How would you describe the dialogue? How does it reflect the setting of the novel? Is it similar to the Austen novel that it seeks to emulate in terms of dialogue?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Bingley and Jane. How do they feel about one another when they first meet? How do their feelings progress as the novel progresses? What conflicts and obstacles do they face? Are they able to overcome these obstacles? How does Bingley treat Jane?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of marriage in the novel "An Assembly Such As This". Why is marriage so important to the characters of the novel? How is marriage portrayed in the novel? How does Darcy view marriage? Whose marriage does he try to put a stop to and why?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)