|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darcy describe Lady Caroline as?
2. What is Dy going to help Darcy do at Lady Melbourne's soiree?
3. What is Darcy annoyed and surprised by in Chapter 9?
4. What does Sir William Lucas allude to in Chapter 9?
5. Who does Darcy think about while Fletcher is shaving him in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during Darcy's and Bingley's trip to Meryton in Chapter 8?
2. How do Darcy and Bingley feel about attending Lady Melbourne's soiree?
3. What does Hinchcliffe discuss with Darcy in Chapter 11?
4. What disturbance takes place at the church in Chapter 8?
5. Why does Darcy decide to leave the soiree in Chapter 12?
6. In Chapter 7, how does Darcy feel about Elizabeth's planned departure from Netherfield?
7. What appalls Darcy at the dinner table in Chapter 10?
8. Why is Fletcher overly concerned with Darcy's clothes at the beginning of Chapter 8?
9. Describe Bingley's and Darcy's entrance to Lady Melbourne's soiree.
10. What does Georgiana's letter to Darcy say in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the genre of the novel "An Assembly Such As This"? Discuss this genre and some common elements of the genre. Discuss how romance novels try to satisfy their readers. What methods are used to please the readers? What elements of a romance novel are necessary to meet the expectations of the reader?
Essay Topic 2
According to literary critics, how does "An Assembly Such As This" compare to Austen's work "Pride and Prejudice" in terms of writing style, tone and plot? Jane Austen novels are still widely read. Why are Jane Austen novels still so popular today? Why might a pastiche or fan fiction be popular with Austen fans?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Aidan's use of foreshadowing in the novel "An Assembly Such As This". What aspects of the plot does she use foreshadowing to hint at? What does the reader learn of Darcy's feelings for Elizabeth before he does through foreshadowing? What does Darcy's distaste for Elizabeth's family foreshadow?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)