|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is accompanying the Bennet sisters in Chapter 8?
2. What is odd about Elizabeth's clothes in Chapter 8?
3. Whose tradition is it to spend Christmas at Pemberley?
4. What day is the ball on in Chapter 9?
5. According to Bingley, why has Jane never told him how she feels?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Elizabeth respond when Darcy asks her about their encounter in Meryton in Chapter 9?
2. What happens during Darcy's and Bingley's trip to Meryton in Chapter 8?
3. How does Darcy dress for Lady Melbourne's soiree?
4. What reason does Darcy give for turning down Miss Bingley's invitation to join her and Elizabeth on a walk around the room?
5. Why is Bingley annoyed during the ball in Chapter 9?
6. What does Hinchcliffe discuss with Darcy in Chapter 11?
7. What does Georgiana's letter to Darcy say in Chapter 8?
8. How does Bingley respond when Darcy asks him about Jane's regard for him?
9. How do Darcy and Bingley feel about attending Lady Melbourne's soiree?
10. In Chapter 7, how does Darcy feel about Elizabeth's planned departure from Netherfield?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conclusion of the novel. What happens at the end of the novel? Is it expected? Are you satisfied with the ending? Are there any unanswered questions left?
Essay Topic 2
The English class system of the early 19th Century is a prominent theme of "An Assembly Such As This". The characters of the story must follow the social rules, and doing so often leads to obstacles, misunderstandings and denial of one's true feelings. Discuss the effects that the social rules of the high class had on the central characters of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Love and romance are major themes of the story. Discuss the pairings of the following couples, the issues they faced and whether you believe they will have a happy ending:
a) Darcy and Elizabeth
b) Bingley and Jane
c) Darcy and Miss Bingley
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)