|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darcy tell Elizabeth is her fault in Chapter 7?
2. What does Darcy do in the coach instead of continuing the conversation with Bingley from the inn?
3. What do Bingley and Darcy discuss while stopping at an inn in Chapter 11?
4. What dance does Lady Caroline begin dancing that shocks Darcy in Chapter 12?
5. What does Darcy pocket in Chapter 7 as Bingley enters the library?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Fletcher overly concerned with Darcy's clothes at the beginning of Chapter 8?
2. Why does Darcy watch Bingley and Jane closely in Chapter 10? What conclusion does he come to?
3. What surprises Darcy about Elizabeth's choice of reading material in Chapter 7?
4. How do Darcy and Elizabeth criticize each other in Chapter 7?
5. How does Darcy dress for Lady Melbourne's soiree?
6. What do Elizabeth and Darcy talk about during their dance in Chapter 9?
7. How do Darcy and Bingley feel about attending Lady Melbourne's soiree?
8. How does Bingley respond when Darcy asks him about Jane's regard for him?
9. How does Elizabeth respond when Darcy blames himself for her coldness in Chapter 9?
10. What does Hinchcliffe discuss with Darcy in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the antagonist of the story and what makes this character the antagonist? What are his defining character traits? What has he done to Darcy to deserve the role of antagonist?
Essay Topic 2
According to literary critics, how does "An Assembly Such As This" compare to Austen's work "Pride and Prejudice" in terms of writing style, tone and plot? Jane Austen novels are still widely read. Why are Jane Austen novels still so popular today? Why might a pastiche or fan fiction be popular with Austen fans?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the protagonist of the novel, Fitzwilliam Darcy. What are his defining character traits? What people or places are important to him and why? Who and what does he despise? How does he interact with others?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)