|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is accompanying the Bennet sisters in Chapter 8?
2. Where do Bingley and Darcy encounter the Bennet sisters in Chapter 8?
3. According to Elizabeth, what must Wickham suffer his whole life for?
4. Why does Darcy express interest in attending a particular soiree in Chapter 11?
5. What does Elizabeth suggest Darcy comment on during their dance in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Darcy watch Bingley and Jane closely in Chapter 10? What conclusion does he come to?
2. What happens during Darcy's and Bingley's trip to Meryton in Chapter 8?
3. How does Elizabeth respond when Darcy blames himself for her coldness in Chapter 9?
4. What does Hinchcliffe discuss with Darcy in Chapter 11?
5. What do Darcy and Bingley talk about during their journey in Chapter 11?
6. Why is Fletcher overly concerned with Darcy's clothes at the beginning of Chapter 8?
7. What does Darcy instruct Miss Bingley to do to keep Jane and Bingley apart?
8. How does Elizabeth respond when Darcy asks her about their encounter in Meryton in Chapter 9?
9. Who is Lord Dyford Brougham?
10. What do Elizabeth and Darcy talk about during their dance in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the antagonist of the story and what makes this character the antagonist? What are his defining character traits? What has he done to Darcy to deserve the role of antagonist?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conclusion of the novel. What happens at the end of the novel? Is it expected? Are you satisfied with the ending? Are there any unanswered questions left?
Essay Topic 3
What is the genre of the novel "An Assembly Such As This"? Discuss this genre and some common elements of the genre. Discuss how romance novels try to satisfy their readers. What methods are used to please the readers? What elements of a romance novel are necessary to meet the expectations of the reader?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)