|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Elizabeth sit beside in the church in Chapter 8?
2. What does Darcy consider Elizabeth's strange behavior in Chapter 9 payback for?
3. Who is caught in the middle of a disturbance following the sermon in Chapter 8?
4. Who does Darcy think about while Fletcher is shaving him in Chapter 12?
5. What is Darcy's horse named?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during Darcy's and Bingley's trip to Meryton in Chapter 8?
2. How do the Bennet's further embarrass themselves at the ball in Chapter 10?
3. What does Darcy instruct Miss Bingley to do to keep Jane and Bingley apart?
4. What reason does Darcy give for turning down Miss Bingley's invitation to join her and Elizabeth on a walk around the room?
5. What surprises Darcy about Elizabeth's choice of reading material in Chapter 7?
6. What disturbance takes place at the church in Chapter 8?
7. Why is Bingley annoyed during the ball in Chapter 9?
8. Describe Bingley's and Darcy's entrance to Lady Melbourne's soiree.
9. How does Bingley respond when Darcy asks him about Jane's regard for him?
10. What do Elizabeth and Darcy talk about during their dance in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of marriage in the novel "An Assembly Such As This". Why is marriage so important to the characters of the novel? How is marriage portrayed in the novel? How does Darcy view marriage? Whose marriage does he try to put a stop to and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the protagonist of the novel, Fitzwilliam Darcy. What are his defining character traits? What people or places are important to him and why? Who and what does he despise? How does he interact with others?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Bingley and Jane. How do they feel about one another when they first meet? How do their feelings progress as the novel progresses? What conflicts and obstacles do they face? Are they able to overcome these obstacles? How does Bingley treat Jane?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)