|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Darcy say the eldest Bennet sisters were after church?
2. What place does Darcy expect the Bingleys will take in Meryton society?
3. What does Darcy regret at dinner in Chapter 4?
4. What does Miss Bingley praise about Pemberley in Chapter 6?
5. What amuses Darcy about Elizabeth in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Darcy realize by Elizabeth's behavior toward him in Chapter 3?
2. At Squire Justin's house, when Darcy tells Miss Bingley that she is universally admired what does she insinuate with her response?
3. What does Darcy notice has a group of young men excited at the party in Chapter 3?
4. What does Darcy note about Elizabeth as he watches her at the party in Chapter 3?
5. What work of literature is "An Assembly Such as This" based on? How does "An Assembly Such as This" differ from the original story?
6. What delays the Netherfield party's arrival at Squire Justin house in Chapter 4? What does this demonstrate about Miss Bingley?
7. What does Bingley thank Darcy for in Chapter 2?
8. What does Bingley inform Darcy of after the shooting party? What does Darcy realize when he is told this?
9. What are the ladies occupied with when Darcy and Bingley arrive at Lucas Lodge?
10. What does Darcy feel confident about at the beginning of Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the genre of the novel "An Assembly Such As This"? Discuss this genre and some common elements of the genre. Discuss how romance novels try to satisfy their readers. What methods are used to please the readers? What elements of a romance novel are necessary to meet the expectations of the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author of the novel, Pamela Aidan. Is she a respected novelist? What has she achieved throughout her career? What types of novels does she write? Are there similarities between "An Assembly Such As This" and her other novels?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Bingley and Jane. How do they feel about one another when they first meet? How do their feelings progress as the novel progresses? What conflicts and obstacles do they face? Are they able to overcome these obstacles? How does Bingley treat Jane?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)