|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Bennet say Jane's former suitor did for her daughter?
2. What does Miss Bingley thank Darcy for sharing with her in Chapter 2?
3. Who does Darcy see the handsome girl and her sisters speaking to as he leaves the party?
4. How does Darcy refer to the Bennets' London relations?
5. Where does Darcy notice a great deal of excitement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What embarrasses Darcy at the end of Chapter 4?
2. How does Bingley's company react when he praises Miss Bennet in Chapter 2?
3. How does Darcy respond when Miss Bingley asks for his opinion of Elizabeth Bennet's beauty?
4. At Squire Justin's house, when Darcy tells Miss Bingley that she is universally admired what does she insinuate with her response?
5. What does Darcy debate after suggesting that Bingley invite Elizabeth to stay and nurse her sister?
6. For what reason does Darcy think Bingley is pleased to have an engagement at Sir Lucas' home?
7. How does Miss Lucas attempt to dispel the animosity between Darcy and Elizabeth in Chapter 5?
8. What does Darcy notice has a group of young men excited at the party in Chapter 3?
9. What does Georgiana tell Darcy in her letter in Chapter 1?
10. What does Miss Bingley do to irritate her brother in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Bingley and Jane. How do they feel about one another when they first meet? How do their feelings progress as the novel progresses? What conflicts and obstacles do they face? Are they able to overcome these obstacles? How does Bingley treat Jane?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of marriage in the novel "An Assembly Such As This". Why is marriage so important to the characters of the novel? How is marriage portrayed in the novel? How does Darcy view marriage? Whose marriage does he try to put a stop to and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of jealousy in the novel "An Assembly Such As This". What is Miss Bingley jealous of? Does Darcy ever show signs of jealousy? What is Bingley jealous of? What do these feelings tell the reader about the feelings of these characters?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)