|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bingley feel about his Saturday engagement?
2. What does Darcy notice about Elizabeth at dinner?
3. What is the name of Darcy's hound?
4. How does Darcy refer to the Bennets' London relations?
5. What embarrasses Darcy in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Miss Bingley do to irritate her brother in Chapter 5?
2. How does Darcy respond when Bingley tries to get him to dance in Chapter 1?
3. What has Netherfield in an uproar when Darcy and Bingley return in Chapter 6?
4. What embarrasses Darcy at the end of Chapter 4?
5. How does Darcy respond when Miss Bingley asks for his opinion of Elizabeth Bennet's beauty?
6. How does Darcy explain it came about that he shared his prayer book with Miss Bingley at church?
7. What delays the Netherfield party's arrival at Squire Justin house in Chapter 4? What does this demonstrate about Miss Bingley?
8. What does Darcy notice has a group of young men excited at the party in Chapter 3?
9. In what ways are Darcy's growing feelings for Elizabeth demonstrated in Chapter 4?
10. What does Darcy feel confident about at the beginning of Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of denial in the novel "An Assembly Such As This". Why does Darcy deny his feelings for Elizabeth? What problems is he trying to avoid by denying his feelings?
Essay Topic 2
According to literary critics, how does "An Assembly Such As This" compare to Austen's work "Pride and Prejudice" in terms of writing style, tone and plot? Jane Austen novels are still widely read. Why are Jane Austen novels still so popular today? Why might a pastiche or fan fiction be popular with Austen fans?
Essay Topic 3
What is the genre of the novel "An Assembly Such As This"? Discuss this genre and some common elements of the genre. Discuss how romance novels try to satisfy their readers. What methods are used to please the readers? What elements of a romance novel are necessary to meet the expectations of the reader?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)