|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darcy realize his destiny seems to be in Chapter 4?
2. What place does Darcy expect the Bingleys will take in Meryton society?
3. How does Darcy react to Mr. Lucas when they are introduced?
4. Who do Bingley and Darcy joke about before dinner in Chapter 3?
5. While Bingley dances, where does Darcy position himself in the assembly hall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Darcy decide to leave the soiree in Chapter 12?
2. How does Darcy respond when Miss Bingley asks for his opinion of Elizabeth Bennet's beauty?
3. How does Darcy dress for Lady Melbourne's soiree?
4. What has Netherfield in an uproar when Darcy and Bingley return in Chapter 6?
5. What does Darcy notice has a group of young men excited at the party in Chapter 3?
6. What are the ladies occupied with when Darcy and Bingley arrive at Lucas Lodge?
7. Why is Fletcher overly concerned with Darcy's clothes at the beginning of Chapter 8?
8. What does Darcy debate after suggesting that Bingley invite Elizabeth to stay and nurse her sister?
9. How do Darcy and Elizabeth get along in their first conversation in Chapter 3?
10. At Squire Justin's house, when Darcy tells Miss Bingley that she is universally admired what does she insinuate with her response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conclusion of the novel. What happens at the end of the novel? Is it expected? Are you satisfied with the ending? Are there any unanswered questions left?
Essay Topic 2
What is the genre of the novel "An Assembly Such As This"? Discuss this genre and some common elements of the genre. Discuss how romance novels try to satisfy their readers. What methods are used to please the readers? What elements of a romance novel are necessary to meet the expectations of the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the novel. How does the setting affect the plot and the characters? How do Darcy, Bingley and Miss Bingley view the country versus the city setting? What do the Bingley sisters think of the characters who live in the country?
This section contains 1,527 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)