|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shocks Darcy while speaking to Elizabeth ?
2. "An Assembly Such as This" is the retelling of which author's original work?
3. For what reason does Elizabeth excuse herself from her conversation with Darcy in Chapter 3?
4. In Chapter 4, who does Miss Bingley lament does not like her?
5. Where is Bingley engaged to dine on Monday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Miss Bingley do to irritate her brother in Chapter 5?
2. For what reason does Darcy think Bingley is pleased to have an engagement at Sir Lucas' home?
3. What has Netherfield in an uproar when Darcy and Bingley return in Chapter 6?
4. What does Darcy note about Elizabeth as he watches her at the party in Chapter 3?
5. At Squire Justin's house, when Darcy tells Miss Bingley that she is universally admired what does she insinuate with her response?
6. How is Caroline Bingley characterized in Chapter 1?
7. How did Darcy and Bingley come to be friends?
8. What does Darcy realize by Elizabeth's behavior toward him in Chapter 3?
9. What does Darcy feel confident about at the beginning of Chapter 2?
10. What does Darcy say is the only thing steadying Darcy's admiration of Elizabeth in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to literary critics, how does "An Assembly Such As This" compare to Austen's work "Pride and Prejudice" in terms of writing style, tone and plot? Jane Austen novels are still widely read. Why are Jane Austen novels still so popular today? Why might a pastiche or fan fiction be popular with Austen fans?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the secondary characters of the novel "An Assembly Such As This". Who are the secondary characters of the novel? What are their roles in the novel? What relationships do they have with the protagonist?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "An Assembly Such As This". Is family important to Darcy? What is his relationship like with his younger sister Georgiana? What does he think of Elizabeth's family? Might they cause problems for Darcy and Elizabeth?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)