|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bingley tease Darcy about in Chapter 2?
2. How does Miss Lucas attempt to dispel the animosity between Darcy and Elizabeth in Chapter 5?
3. Darcy thinks it is appropriate that the intriguing girl from the party is named after what?
4. When Miss Bingley joins Darcy at the Lucas', what does she think Darcy is thinking about?
5. What does Miss Bingley dissuade her brother from doing to help Miss Bennet in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Miss Bingley mock the Bennet sisters in Chapter 2?
2. How does Darcy respond when Bingley tries to get him to dance in Chapter 1?
3. How do Darcy and Elizabeth get along in their first conversation in Chapter 3?
4. What does Miss Bingley assume Darcy is thinking about when she approaches him at Lucas Lodge? What does Darcy say he is actually meditating on?
5. How does Miss Lucas attempt to dispel the animosity between Darcy and Elizabeth in Chapter 5?
6. What does Darcy notice has a group of young men excited at the party in Chapter 3?
7. How does Darcy respond when Miss Bingley asks for his opinion of Elizabeth Bennet's beauty?
8. For what reason does Darcy think Bingley is pleased to have an engagement at Sir Lucas' home?
9. How does Bingley's company react when he praises Miss Bennet in Chapter 2?
10. What upsets Darcy when he sees Bingley dancing with the most handsome girl at the party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the secondary characters of the novel "An Assembly Such As This". Who are the secondary characters of the novel? What are their roles in the novel? What relationships do they have with the protagonist?
Essay Topic 2
What is the genre of the novel "An Assembly Such As This"? Discuss this genre and some common elements of the genre. Discuss how romance novels try to satisfy their readers. What methods are used to please the readers? What elements of a romance novel are necessary to meet the expectations of the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of denial in the novel "An Assembly Such As This". Why does Darcy deny his feelings for Elizabeth? What problems is he trying to avoid by denying his feelings?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)