|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bingley feel about his Saturday engagement?
2. What does Darcy note is evident by Elizabeth's social graces?
3. What amuses Darcy about Elizabeth in Chapter 3?
4. What does Darcy think of the sister of the handsome girl Bingley danced with?
5. What does Darcy insist to himself that he must do in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Miss Bingley assume Darcy is thinking about when she approaches him at Lucas Lodge? What does Darcy say he is actually meditating on?
2. What do Miss Bingley and the Hursts mock Elizabeth for after dinner in Chapter 6?
3. How does Miss Lucas attempt to dispel the animosity between Darcy and Elizabeth in Chapter 5?
4. For what reason does Darcy think Bingley is pleased to have an engagement at Sir Lucas' home?
5. What work of literature is "An Assembly Such as This" based on? How does "An Assembly Such as This" differ from the original story?
6. What does Bingley thank Darcy for in Chapter 2?
7. How does Darcy explain it came about that he shared his prayer book with Miss Bingley at church?
8. How does Darcy respond when Miss Bingley asks for his opinion of Elizabeth Bennet's beauty?
9. How do Darcy and Elizabeth get along in their first conversation in Chapter 3?
10. What does Darcy debate after suggesting that Bingley invite Elizabeth to stay and nurse her sister?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "An Assembly Such As This". Is family important to Darcy? What is his relationship like with his younger sister Georgiana? What does he think of Elizabeth's family? Might they cause problems for Darcy and Elizabeth?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Bingley and Jane. How do they feel about one another when they first meet? How do their feelings progress as the novel progresses? What conflicts and obstacles do they face? Are they able to overcome these obstacles? How does Bingley treat Jane?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the secondary characters of the novel "An Assembly Such As This". Who are the secondary characters of the novel? What are their roles in the novel? What relationships do they have with the protagonist?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)