|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the dinner host tease Darcy about in Chapter 4?
2. What is Darcy's valet named?
3. When does Darcy not hate dancing?
4. What does Darcy think of the sister of the handsome girl Bingley danced with?
5. What amuses Darcy about Elizabeth in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Miss Bingley and the Hursts mock Elizabeth for after dinner in Chapter 6?
2. What does Georgiana tell Darcy in her letter in Chapter 1?
3. How does Bingley's company react when he praises Miss Bennet in Chapter 2?
4. How does Darcy respond when Miss Bingley asks for his opinion of Elizabeth Bennet's beauty?
5. What does Darcy note about Elizabeth as he watches her at the party in Chapter 3?
6. At Squire Justin's house, when Darcy tells Miss Bingley that she is universally admired what does she insinuate with her response?
7. What does Bingley thank Darcy for in Chapter 2?
8. What does Darcy feel confident about at the beginning of Chapter 2?
9. What work of literature is "An Assembly Such as This" based on? How does "An Assembly Such as This" differ from the original story?
10. What does Darcy realize by Elizabeth's behavior toward him in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a comparison essay of Mr. Bingley and Darcy. How are they similar? How are they different? How do they approach life differently?
Essay Topic 2
According to literary critics, how does "An Assembly Such As This" compare to Austen's work "Pride and Prejudice" in terms of writing style, tone and plot? Jane Austen novels are still widely read. Why are Jane Austen novels still so popular today? Why might a pastiche or fan fiction be popular with Austen fans?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Bingley and Jane. How do they feel about one another when they first meet? How do their feelings progress as the novel progresses? What conflicts and obstacles do they face? Are they able to overcome these obstacles? How does Bingley treat Jane?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)