|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Darcy expect will be in attendance at Bingley's Saturday engagement?
2. What does Miss Bingley insist Darcy do with her at the Lucas' home?
3. What does Miss Bingley mock the younger Bennet sisters for?
4. How does Darcy refer to the Bennets' London relations?
5. Which classic novel is "An Assembly Such as This" a retelling of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Darcy feel confident about at the beginning of Chapter 2?
2. How does Darcy respond when Bingley tries to get him to dance in Chapter 1?
3. At Squire Justin's house, when Darcy tells Miss Bingley that she is universally admired what does she insinuate with her response?
4. In what ways are Darcy's growing feelings for Elizabeth demonstrated in Chapter 4?
5. What does Miss Bingley do to irritate her brother in Chapter 5?
6. How is Caroline Bingley characterized in Chapter 1?
7. What are the ladies occupied with when Darcy and Bingley arrive at Lucas Lodge?
8. For what reason does Darcy think Bingley is pleased to have an engagement at Sir Lucas' home?
9. What does Darcy debate after suggesting that Bingley invite Elizabeth to stay and nurse her sister?
10. How does Bingley's company react when he praises Miss Bennet in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the secondary characters of the novel "An Assembly Such As This". Who are the secondary characters of the novel? What are their roles in the novel? What relationships do they have with the protagonist?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Darcy and Elizabeth. How does it change throughout the novel? How do Darcy's feelings for Elizabeth evolve as the novel progresses? What does Darcy like about Elizabeth? What does he realize about their relationship in the end?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of marriage in the novel "An Assembly Such As This". Why is marriage so important to the characters of the novel? How is marriage portrayed in the novel? How does Darcy view marriage? Whose marriage does he try to put a stop to and why?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)