|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Darcy say the eldest Bennet sisters were after church?
2. What is the name of Darcy's hound?
3. What does Darcy tell his dog is the only thing steadying his feelings for Elizabeth?
4. What shocks Darcy while speaking to Elizabeth ?
5. What does Darcy know about Bingley's personality, which is shared in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What delays the Netherfield party's arrival at Squire Justin house in Chapter 4? What does this demonstrate about Miss Bingley?
2. How does Darcy respond when Bingley tries to get him to dance in Chapter 1?
3. What work of literature is "An Assembly Such as This" based on? How does "An Assembly Such as This" differ from the original story?
4. At Squire Justin's house, when Darcy tells Miss Bingley that she is universally admired what does she insinuate with her response?
5. What are the ladies occupied with when Darcy and Bingley arrive at Lucas Lodge?
6. How is Caroline Bingley characterized in Chapter 1?
7. What does Bingley inform Darcy of after the shooting party? What does Darcy realize when he is told this?
8. What do Miss Bingley and the Hursts mock Elizabeth for after dinner in Chapter 6?
9. How does Miss Lucas attempt to dispel the animosity between Darcy and Elizabeth in Chapter 5?
10. How did Darcy and Bingley come to be friends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to literary critics, how does "An Assembly Such As This" compare to Austen's work "Pride and Prejudice" in terms of writing style, tone and plot? Jane Austen novels are still widely read. Why are Jane Austen novels still so popular today? Why might a pastiche or fan fiction be popular with Austen fans?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of denial in the novel "An Assembly Such As This". Why does Darcy deny his feelings for Elizabeth? What problems is he trying to avoid by denying his feelings?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the protagonist of the novel, Fitzwilliam Darcy. What are his defining character traits? What people or places are important to him and why? Who and what does he despise? How does he interact with others?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)