|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Lucas teach the ladies at her home?
2. What does Darcy suggest that he and Bingley go to the village to do in Chapter 6?
3. What does Darcy know about Bingley's personality, which is shared in Chapter 3?
4. Darcy thinks it is appropriate that the intriguing girl from the party is named after what?
5. What illegal substance do the men partake of in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Darcy notice has a group of young men excited at the party in Chapter 3?
2. What does Bingley inform Darcy of after the shooting party? What does Darcy realize when he is told this?
3. How does Darcy explain it came about that he shared his prayer book with Miss Bingley at church?
4. What does Darcy debate after suggesting that Bingley invite Elizabeth to stay and nurse her sister?
5. What does Miss Bingley do to irritate her brother in Chapter 5?
6. What do Miss Bingley and the Hursts mock Elizabeth for after dinner in Chapter 6?
7. How does Elizabeth respond when Darcy blames himself for her coldness in Chapter 9?
8. What delays the Netherfield party's arrival at Squire Justin house in Chapter 4? What does this demonstrate about Miss Bingley?
9. What reason does Darcy give for turning down Miss Bingley's invitation to join her and Elizabeth on a walk around the room?
10. What happens during Darcy's and Bingley's trip to Meryton in Chapter 8?
Essay Topic 1
The English class system of the early 19th Century is a prominent theme of "An Assembly Such As This". The characters of the story must follow the social rules, and doing so often leads to obstacles, misunderstandings and denial of one's true feelings. Discuss the effects that the social rules of the high class had on the central characters of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "An Assembly Such As This". Is family important to Darcy? What is his relationship like with his younger sister Georgiana? What does he think of Elizabeth's family? Might they cause problems for Darcy and Elizabeth?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of marriage in the novel "An Assembly Such As This". Why is marriage so important to the characters of the novel? How is marriage portrayed in the novel? How does Darcy view marriage? Whose marriage does he try to put a stop to and why?
This section contains 1,612 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)