|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What usually draws the Bingley sisters to church?
2. Who does the obligatory guest that Miss Bingley arranges for Bingley to avoid turn out to be?
3. What caused Bingley to be the subject of jokes in town?
4. Who did Georgiana have an 'incident' with the previous summer?
5. What does Georgiana's companion suggest Georgiana do to alleviate her sadness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What work of literature is "An Assembly Such as This" based on? How does "An Assembly Such as This" differ from the original story?
2. How does Miss Lucas attempt to dispel the animosity between Darcy and Elizabeth in Chapter 5?
3. What do Miss Bingley and the Hursts mock Elizabeth for after dinner in Chapter 6?
4. What does Darcy note about Elizabeth as he watches her at the party in Chapter 3?
5. What does Darcy debate after suggesting that Bingley invite Elizabeth to stay and nurse her sister?
6. What delays the Netherfield party's arrival at Squire Justin house in Chapter 4? What does this demonstrate about Miss Bingley?
7. At Squire Justin's house, when Darcy tells Miss Bingley that she is universally admired what does she insinuate with her response?
8. What does Darcy realize by Elizabeth's behavior toward him in Chapter 3?
9. How does Miss Bingley mock the Bennet sisters in Chapter 2?
10. What does Miss Bingley do to irritate her brother in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss conflict in the novel "An Assembly Such As This". What are the main conflicts of the novel? How do these conflicts affect the plot and characters of the novel? How do they affect the reader's enjoyment of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
According to literary critics, how does "An Assembly Such As This" compare to Austen's work "Pride and Prejudice" in terms of writing style, tone and plot? Jane Austen novels are still widely read. Why are Jane Austen novels still so popular today? Why might a pastiche or fan fiction be popular with Austen fans?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the novel. How does the setting affect the plot and the characters? How do Darcy, Bingley and Miss Bingley view the country versus the city setting? What do the Bingley sisters think of the characters who live in the country?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)