|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darcy tell his dog is the only thing steadying his feelings for Elizabeth?
2. What does Darcy notice about Elizabeth while in Church?
3. Who does Darcy ask to dance with at the Lucas'?
4. What does Bingley say shocked his sisters in Chapter 2?
5. What does Bingley tell Darcy has been spotted a mile from the gate, in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the ladies occupied with when Darcy and Bingley arrive at Lucas Lodge?
2. How does Miss Lucas attempt to dispel the animosity between Darcy and Elizabeth in Chapter 5?
3. What does Bingley thank Darcy for in Chapter 2?
4. What does Miss Bingley do to irritate her brother in Chapter 5?
5. What do Miss Bingley and the Hursts mock Elizabeth for after dinner in Chapter 6?
6. What does Georgiana tell Darcy in her letter in Chapter 1?
7. What work of literature is "An Assembly Such as This" based on? How does "An Assembly Such as This" differ from the original story?
8. What does Darcy realize by Elizabeth's behavior toward him in Chapter 3?
9. What does Darcy do during the shooting party?
10. What does Darcy debate after suggesting that Bingley invite Elizabeth to stay and nurse her sister?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the genre of the novel "An Assembly Such As This"? Discuss this genre and some common elements of the genre. Discuss how romance novels try to satisfy their readers. What methods are used to please the readers? What elements of a romance novel are necessary to meet the expectations of the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Bingley and Jane. How do they feel about one another when they first meet? How do their feelings progress as the novel progresses? What conflicts and obstacles do they face? Are they able to overcome these obstacles? How does Bingley treat Jane?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Aidan's use of foreshadowing in the novel "An Assembly Such As This". What aspects of the plot does she use foreshadowing to hint at? What does the reader learn of Darcy's feelings for Elizabeth before he does through foreshadowing? What does Darcy's distaste for Elizabeth's family foreshadow?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)