|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what is Darcy confident he will be able to teach Bingley?
2. What does Bingley agree to do after Jane has recovered?
3. What illegal substance do the men partake of in Chapter 4?
4. What does Miss Bingley express a disdain for in Chapter 1?
5. Who does Miss Bingley note the Bennet sisters seem popular with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Darcy do during the shooting party?
2. What does Darcy feel confident about at the beginning of Chapter 2?
3. What does Darcy note about Elizabeth as he watches her at the party in Chapter 3?
4. What do Miss Bingley and the Hursts mock Elizabeth for after dinner in Chapter 6?
5. What are the ladies occupied with when Darcy and Bingley arrive at Lucas Lodge?
6. For what reason does Darcy think Bingley is pleased to have an engagement at Sir Lucas' home?
7. What has Netherfield in an uproar when Darcy and Bingley return in Chapter 6?
8. What does Georgiana tell Darcy in her letter in Chapter 1?
9. What does Darcy debate after suggesting that Bingley invite Elizabeth to stay and nurse her sister?
10. How is Caroline Bingley characterized in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The English class system of the early 19th Century is a prominent theme of "An Assembly Such As This". The characters of the story must follow the social rules, and doing so often leads to obstacles, misunderstandings and denial of one's true feelings. Discuss the effects that the social rules of the high class had on the central characters of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conclusion of the novel. What happens at the end of the novel? Is it expected? Are you satisfied with the ending? Are there any unanswered questions left?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of jealousy in the novel "An Assembly Such As This". What is Miss Bingley jealous of? Does Darcy ever show signs of jealousy? What is Bingley jealous of? What do these feelings tell the reader about the feelings of these characters?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)