|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Sir Lucas' home?
2. Which classic novel is "An Assembly Such as This" a retelling of?
3. What does Bingley assure Darcy of when he looks down the hall at the end of Chapter 2?
4. Where does Darcy notice a great deal of excitement?
5. What does Bingley tell Darcy has been spotted a mile from the gate, in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Darcy say is the only thing steadying Darcy's admiration of Elizabeth in Chapter 6?
2. What embarrasses Darcy at the end of Chapter 4?
3. What does Miss Bingley do to irritate her brother in Chapter 5?
4. What does Darcy do during the shooting party?
5. What does Miss Bingley assume Darcy is thinking about when she approaches him at Lucas Lodge? What does Darcy say he is actually meditating on?
6. What delays the Netherfield party's arrival at Squire Justin house in Chapter 4? What does this demonstrate about Miss Bingley?
7. What does Darcy realize by Elizabeth's behavior toward him in Chapter 3?
8. What does Bingley inform Darcy of after the shooting party? What does Darcy realize when he is told this?
9. In what ways are Darcy's growing feelings for Elizabeth demonstrated in Chapter 4?
10. What work of literature is "An Assembly Such as This" based on? How does "An Assembly Such as This" differ from the original story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Darcy and Elizabeth. How does it change throughout the novel? How do Darcy's feelings for Elizabeth evolve as the novel progresses? What does Darcy like about Elizabeth? What does he realize about their relationship in the end?
Essay Topic 2
What is the genre of the novel "An Assembly Such As This"? Discuss this genre and some common elements of the genre. Discuss how romance novels try to satisfy their readers. What methods are used to please the readers? What elements of a romance novel are necessary to meet the expectations of the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Bingley and Jane. How do they feel about one another when they first meet? How do their feelings progress as the novel progresses? What conflicts and obstacles do they face? Are they able to overcome these obstacles? How does Bingley treat Jane?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)