|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. America declared war on Germany upon:
(a) When the Italian government declared war on France and Britain.
(b) The advance of German troops into Poland.
(c) When German troops unfurled an enormous Swastika flag from the Arc de Triomphe, in Paris.
(d) The bombing of Pearl Harbor.
2. According to the author, why was Allen's decision important in a historical context?
(a) It was singularly reckless and signaled his key flaw as a commander.
(b) It was the first singular tactical decision by an Americn general in the liberation of Europe.
(c) It was the most complicated coordination of tanks and ground troops to that date in modern warfare.
(d) It was the most bloodiest drive of the campaign and could have been the deciding factor in gaining French support.
3. What two issues particularly occupied the minds of the American strategists planning Torch?
(a) That minimal British troops accompany the initial landings and where to make the landings.
(b) German U-boats and Japanese dive bombers.
(c) The training of troops on two different continents and how to merge the forces while at sea.
(d) If the plan had been leaked to the Germans and Vichy France's certain role in fighting the landings.
4. According to the author, what strategic mistake was repeated at the port of Algiers in operation TERMINAL?
(a) The launch of a weak pre-emptive strike.
(b) A frontal assault.
(c) A poorly planned air raid.
(d) Assuming heavy French resistance.
5. What hunch of Eisenhower's in regards to General Giraud looks to be accurate?
(a) That Giraud was an Axis spy.
(b) That Giraud was following orders from Petain after all.
(c) That he would not settle for less than being appointed Commander-in-Chief of all Allied forces.
(d) That Giraud was waiting out the results of TORCH before committing to the Allied cause.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, the end of the cavalry era came not with a bang, but with:
2. Who wrote: "Would God I might die with my sword in hand / Ringed by dead foes all around."
3. According to Rear Admiral Bennett, the RESERVIST plan was:
4. What promise did General Patton make to the President of the United States in the presence of Rear Admiral Hewitt?
5. In the naval battle of Casablanca, Hewitt faced El Hank. What was El Hank?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the term Anglo-American.
2. In addition to arranging a bridge head around Tunis, what did Kesselring order his lieutenants to plan?
3. What was the motto of the Big Red One?
4. Describe Brigadier General Ted Roosevelt.
5. Even after the attack on Pearl Harbor, why did Roosevelt believe 'Germany First' was the proper strategy?
6. In Admiral Esteva's response to Hooker Doolittle that "they had better hurry up, because the others will be here within forty-eight hours," who is represented by 'they' and who is represented by 'the others.' And who won the race?
7. What considerations did Terry Allen cite in bypassing St. Cloud?
8. Who supposedly made the following statement? "Whoever has Medjez-el-Bab has the key to the door, and is the master of all Tunisia."
9. How did America support the Allied cause before formally joining the war?
10. What is Rear Admiral Hewitt's personal motto?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)