|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What hunch of Eisenhower's in regards to General Giraud looks to be accurate?
(a) That Giraud was following orders from Petain after all.
(b) That he would not settle for less than being appointed Commander-in-Chief of all Allied forces.
(c) That Giraud was an Axis spy.
(d) That Giraud was waiting out the results of TORCH before committing to the Allied cause.
2. According to the author, the end of the cavalry era came not with a bang, but with:
(a) The grinding of tank gears.
(b) A dinner bell.
(c) A quiet retreat from a botched midnight excursion across Axis lines.
(d) A successful routing of an Italian regiment.
3. What rouse did the French employ when repairing the gun turret on the Jean Bart?
(a) They camouflaged the gun turret with wreckage from other ships.
(b) They left the guns cockeyed.
(c) They allowed the ship to sink several feet.
(d) They pumped smoke from the top of the turret suggesting fire on board.
4. North Africa is where the Allies agreed on a policy of:
(a) Unconditional surrender.
(b) Military autonomy.
5. What event on November 27 in Toulon represents "one of the greatest acts of self-immolation in military history," according to the author.
(a) The scuttling of the Vichy French fleet.
(b) Vichy French high command destroyed their own defensive installations as a sign of faith to the Fascist cause.
(c) Rather than losing another airfield to Allied forces, Germans destroyed 40 of their own planes and fuel reserves.
(d) The destruction of all American Stuart tanks at the front to be replaced by General Lee's.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the winter of 1942, which Nation proved the dominant Air force in North Africa?
2. What was Robert Murphy's mission in Algiers?
3. Whose personal credo is: "Always do whatever you can to keep your superior from making a mistake."
4. How many platoons had Eisenhower commanded in battle prior to the start of World War II?
5. What event did the President of the United States hope the invasion of North Africa would precede?
Short Essay Questions
1. What particular naval skill in Hewitt know for?
2. What was the motto of the Big Red One?
3. What is Rear Admiral Hewitt's personal motto?
4. Admiral Darlan did capitulate and surrender Algiers, but what order was he reluctant to make?
5. In the first tank battle of World War II between Germans and Americans, the commander, John Waters, used Captain Siglin's twelve tank force in what manner?
6. Allied ground troops were skeptical of the Allied air force's ability to discriminate between them and the Germans. What incident does the author use to illustrate this mistrust?
7. In planning for the war, what risky initial American strategy did the British succeed in overturning?
8. What was the reasoning behind the American request that almost no British troops take part in the initial TORCH landings?
9. Who supposedly made the following statement? "Whoever has Medjez-el-Bab has the key to the door, and is the master of all Tunisia."
10. On November 27th, the First Argyles were ambushed on Highway 7. What basic precautions did forsake that might have saved them from being surprised?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)