|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the biggest deficiency, according to the author, in Allied planning?
(c) Lack of air fields.
2. What excuse did Patton cite for disobeying orders regarding the planned bombardment of Casablanca.
(a) Excessive enemy resistance.
(b) Lack of assumed air superiority.
(c) Pressure from U boats in the channel.
(d) Bulky communications.
3. What became the unofficial motto of Allied forces in Tunisia?
(a) "Dig or Die."
(b) "It flies, it dies."
(c) "To the last of our rations."
(d) "Kilroy was here."
4. What encounter occurred on November 26th, one day after the successful raid on the airport in Djedeida, between newly outfitted Panzers and John Water's First Battalion, and is considered a 'draw' by the author?
(a) The defining battle for air superiority in Tunisia.
(b) The first tank battle of World War II.
(c) The first of multiple attempts for Americans to take Couigui Pass.
(d) The first strategic ambush by Germans using French troops as bait.
5. Although the Allies were aware of the numbers of Axis troops pouring into Tunis, they misjudged the situation in what way?
(a) By assuming these troops were of low category and without motor transport.
(b) By assuming the terrain was in Allied favor.
(c) By assuming supply issues would hamper the German's ability to fight.
(d) By assuming these troops were ment to reinforce the Middle East.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Patton was made a national hero in taking Casablanca, which defects were also revealed, according to the author?
2. Upon the capitulation of the French, what 'natural order' was quickly re-established?
3. What event on November 27 in Toulon represents "one of the greatest acts of self-immolation in military history," according to the author.
4. September 1, 1939 marked the first day of a war that would last approximately:
5. The General Lee is described by the author as: "double the Stuart's weight, with a 75mm gun in the hull, a 35mm squirrel rifle in the turret, and four machine guns." What did the author describe as it's flaws?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the first tank battle of World War II between Germans and Americans, the commander, John Waters, used Captain Siglin's twelve tank force in what manner?
2. Describe the term Anglo-American.
3. Describe 'the Boy Captain' Robert R. Moore.
4. In Admiral Esteva's response to Hooker Doolittle that "they had better hurry up, because the others will be here within forty-eight hours," who is represented by 'they' and who is represented by 'the others.' And who won the race?
5. What is Rear Admiral Hewitt's concept of Velvet?
6. What domestic issues does the author suggest weighed on the President's mind in making the decision to move forward?
7. Allied ground troops were skeptical of the Allied air force's ability to discriminate between them and the Germans. What incident does the author use to illustrate this mistrust?
8. Describe Brigadier General Ted Roosevelt.
9. On November 27th, the First Argyles were ambushed on Highway 7. What basic precautions did forsake that might have saved them from being surprised?
10. In planning for the war, what risky initial American strategy did the British succeed in overturning?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)