|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Against the wishes of his generals, the president of the United States canceled which plan in preference for a North African invasion?
(b) Rainbow 5.
2. Hitler reinforced Tunis because of what realization, according to the author?
(a) That the Vichy French alliance had collapsed.
(b) That the American claim to plan a landing on the shores of Normandy was a rouse.
(c) That North Africa could be used as a platform for the invasion of southern Europe.
(d) That Italy would not be able to adequately face the size of the Allied force there.
3. The radio messages "batter up" and "play ball" meant what to the American fleet?
(a) Casablanca has been taken and forces are now to move East.
(b) Acknowledged French resistance and authorized retaliatory fire.
(c) Troops are landed and on the offensive.
(d) Air superiority was achieved and the landing could be made.
4. What best describes the enemy structure referred to as the 'Kasbah' by Americans?
(a) A tower originally built during the crusades now used by a nest of snipers.
(b) A sixteenth-century Portuguese fortress.
(c) A beach resort used as a French command center.
(d) A large barn temporarily used as U.S. Army barracks.
5. What was Leedstown?
(a) The Allied name for the supply depot built in Algiers.
(b) The U.S.S. Leedstown was the first victim of the Luftwaffe in the North African campaign.
(c) An upgraded English tank thought to be more conducive to desert warfare.
(d) The English city from which the bulk of the Royal Airforce departed for Africa.
Short Answer Questions
1. September 1, 1939 marked the first day of a war that would last approximately:
2. What did General Erich von Wulisch tell General Nogues in his farewell call before escaping Fedala?
3. According to the author, General Patton had condensed his extensive study of history and military art down to one manifesto. What was it?
4. What is Brigadier General Truscott quoted as learning, perhaps in relation to his conflict in Mehdia?
5. The initial American strategy for attacking Hitler was summed up by a British general as:
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)