|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Djebel el Rhar?
(a) A slightly lower crest to Djebel el Ahmera.
(b) A desert river bed and useful hiding spot.
(c) A fortified tower manned by Italian troops.
(d) A deep defile with no possibility of crossing it.
2. What criticism does the author make of Speedy Valley during the course of Furlingswind?
(a) That they believed their own misinformation.
(b) That the reluctance to acknowledge the route resulted in too many Allied deaths.
(c) That there was no sense of urgency.
(d) That panic reigned.
3. Who wrote the following after the drubbing in Sbeitla: "There is nothing wrong with the common American soldier. His fighting spirit is good. His morale is okay. The deeper he gets into a fight, the more of a fighting man he becomes."
(a) Dwight Eisenhower.
(b) Charles Perry.
(c) Paul Robinett.
(d) Ernie Pyle.
4. What did General Erich von Wulisch tell General Nogues in his farewell call before escaping Fedala?
(a) "Retreat east and fortify Rommel."
(b) "Hold you position, Panzers are on their way."
(c) "This is the greatest setback to German arms since 1918... we shall be expelled from Africa."
(d) "Surrender while you may... we can provide no support."
5. While Patton was made a national hero in taking Casablanca, which defects were also revealed, according to the author?
(a) A wonton disregard of logistics.
(b) A childish propensity to feud with other services.
(c) An incapacity to empathize with frightened soldiers.
(d) All answers are correct.
Short Answer Questions
1. The American route by Arnim was successful to the point of making Rommel's attack Morgenluft negligible. What strategic objective in Tebessa did Rommel have his eye on?
2. In the naval battle of Casablanca, Hewitt faced El Hank. What was El Hank?
3. What was General Everlegh confident would fall before the end of Christmas Day?
4. Upon the capitulation of the French, what 'natural order' was quickly re-established?
5. What hunch of Eisenhower's in regards to General Giraud looks to be accurate?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)