|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the Service d'Ordre Legionnaire, whom Terry Allen came up against in the battle for St. Cloud?
(a) An expert French artillery division.
(b) French secret service agents who infiltrated the Vichy French ranks.
(c) A battalian of Belgian troops fighting on the side of the Allies.
(d) French fascists who modeled themselves on the German SS.
2. Who made the following criticism: "The best way to describe our operations to date, is that they have violated every recognized principle of war, are in conflict with all operational and logistic methods laid down in textbooks, and will be condemned, in their entirety, by all Leavenworth and war college classes for the next twenty-five years."
3. Who said the following: "...infantry, like whiskey, loses potency when diluted."
(a) Ernie Pyle.
(b) Major General Terry Allen.
(c) Ernest Hemmingway.
(d) Winston Churchill.
4. According to the author, why was Allen's decision important in a historical context?
(a) It was the most bloodiest drive of the campaign and could have been the deciding factor in gaining French support.
(b) It was singularly reckless and signaled his key flaw as a commander.
(c) It was the most complicated coordination of tanks and ground troops to that date in modern warfare.
(d) It was the first singular tactical decision by an Americn general in the liberation of Europe.
5. What did Arnim do to undermine Rommel's attack on Le Kef and his designees on Tebessa?
(a) Withheld half of the 10th Panzer division's tanks.
(b) Withheld the 7th Artillery division.
(c) Withheld any air cover.
(d) Required him attack on a more circuitous route.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, what subtle changes had started to become evident in American troops towards the end of 1942?
2. What criticism does the author make of Speedy Valley during the course of Furlingswind?
3. Of the Fifty-two Sherman tanks caught in the German attack Fruhlingswind how many survived?
4. In the naval battle of Casablanca, Hewitt faced El Hank. What was El Hank?
5. While Patton was made a national hero in taking Casablanca, which defects were also revealed, according to the author?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)