|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what is the author resistant?
2. James' appointment with Tate is interrupted by what personal tragedy the night before?
3. What do President Johnson and Secretary of Defense McNamara not know about Spellman?
4. How does James feel at his ordination?
5. What does James do a week before entering the novitiate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What discussions are held at the Carroll dinner table?
2. Why is General Carroll successful in his government position?
3. Why does James have a hard time promising to obey and respect Cardinal Cooke and his successors?
4. How does James feel about his calling as both priest and poet?
5. What is James' opinion of segregation and white supremacy as a child?
6. Why can Michael not be buried by a Catholic priest?
7. How is Boston University a good fit for Father Carroll?
8. General Carroll's DIA offers up analysis that the bombing is having no effect on Hanoi's ability to wage war. How do the Joint Chiefs respond?
9. Father James continues to have struggles with his vocation and decides to spend the summer on retreat in the Holy Land to reconsider his vocation. How does this trip help him make a decision about being a priest?
10. How is Father Daniel Berrigan caught?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James sees his life following two possible tracks.
Part 1) What are the two tracks?
Part 2) Which track does he pick? Why does he pick it?
Part 3) How does this choice affect the rest of his life?
Essay Topic 2
Joseph believes the "spoiled priest" curse is passed from him to his son.
Part 1) How does Joseph act that supports this statement?
Part 2) Why has Joseph not been able to escape this curse?
Part 3) How does his belief in this curse further push his son, James, away from him?
Essay Topic 3
James is both priest and poet.
Part 1) How does he come to be both?
Part 2) How does he struggle with these two callings?
Part 3) At the end of the book, is he a priest, poet, or both? Explain.
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)