|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrests James for protesting Igloo White at Hansom Air Force Base?
2. Robert Kennedy encourages James saying priests are needed in the streets. Who is already in the streets?
3. What does Carroll's DIA report show?
4. Who is delighted to be a personal guest of Cardinal Spellman's and helps welcome the Pope?
5. Daniel Berrigan becomes a national hero. What is Spellman forced to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Father James continues to have struggles with his vocation and decides to spend the summer on retreat in the Holy Land to reconsider his vocation. How does this trip help him make a decision about being a priest?
2. How does James feel about his calling as both priest and poet?
3. What leads to General Carroll's feelings towards Martin Luther King, Jr.?
4. How does Father Daniel Berrigan protest the war?
5. Why can Michael not be buried by a Catholic priest?
6. His Holiness addresses the United Nations for its twentieth-year celebration.
7. What is James' opinion of segregation and white supremacy as a child?
8. Describe James' second revolution.
9. General Carroll's DIA offers up analysis that the bombing is having no effect on Hanoi's ability to wage war. How do the Joint Chiefs respond?
10. How is the author resistant to authority?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pope Paul VI shocks many in government positions and is one of many who protest the Vietnam War.
Part 1) How does Pope Paul VI shock those in government?
Part 2) How do others react to what the Pope preaches?
Part 3) What other people promote peace?
Essay Topic 2
When given a crayon, Joseph, in the depths of his Alzheimer's, writes his wife's name repeatedly.
Part 1) Why do you think he does this?
Part 2) What does this say about his choice to leave the seminary and wed Mary?
Part 3) How might this make Mary feel? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Joe feels like a disgrace for leaving the seminary.
Part 1) Why does he leave the seminary?
Part 2) Why does he feel guilty for leaving? What curse manifests from his leaving the seminary?
Part 3) How does his disgrace linger for the rest of the life?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)