|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do President Johnson and Secretary of Defense McNamara not know about Spellman?
2. Who reminds James of Air Force chaplains?
3. James reads an account of his father's conspiracy to destroy whom?
4. Who is excommunicated?
5. Why do countless Air Force chaplains attend in full dress?
Short Essay Questions
1. General Carroll's DIA offers up analysis that the bombing is having no effect on Hanoi's ability to wage war. How do the Joint Chiefs respond?
2. What is James' opinion of segregation and white supremacy as a child?
3. General Carroll is chairman of a Washington dinner to honor Hoover. He asks Father James to offer the benediction. How does Father James react?
4. What does the FBI do to Martin Luther King, Jr.?
5. What discussions are held at the Carroll dinner table?
6. His Holiness addresses the United Nations for its twentieth-year celebration.
7. How does the text show James is beginning to agree with his friends and associates who think he can follow Patrick's example of self-confidence and risk-taking by skating on his own thin ice?
8. Why does the President begin to reject escalation of the war and refuse any use of nuclear weapons?
9. How does James feel about his calling as both priest and poet?
10. Ritual requires a newly-ordained priest perform his first priestly blessing on his parents. How do his parents react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joseph believes the "spoiled priest" curse is passed from him to his son.
Part 1) How does Joseph act that supports this statement?
Part 2) Why has Joseph not been able to escape this curse?
Part 3) How does his belief in this curse further push his son, James, away from him?
Essay Topic 2
James' and his father's differing opinions permanently affect their relationship.
Part 1) How is their relationship when James is young?
Part 2) What causes the rift in their relationship?
Part 3) Why are they unable to heal their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Pope Paul VI shocks many in government positions and is one of many who protest the Vietnam War.
Part 1) How does Pope Paul VI shock those in government?
Part 2) How do others react to what the Pope preaches?
Part 3) What other people promote peace?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)