|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does James do a week before entering the novitiate?
2. By the will of whom does Diem rule Vietnam?
3. What does James intern as in Atlanta?
4. On whom does ritual require a newly-ordained priest to first perform his priestly blessing?
5. J. Edgar Hoover persecutes King, and who does he recruit in an unsuccessful attempt to stop King from meeting the Pope?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is James' opinion of segregation and white supremacy as a child?
2. Why does James have a hard time promising to obey and respect Cardinal Cooke and his successors?
3. General Carroll's DIA offers up analysis that the bombing is having no effect on Hanoi's ability to wage war. How do the Joint Chiefs respond?
4. What is the General's opinion of Martin Luther King, Jr.?
5. What does the FBI do to Martin Luther King, Jr.?
6. What is the tone difference between Robert F. Kennedy and J. Edgar Hoover?
7. Father James continues to have struggles with his vocation and decides to spend the summer on retreat in the Holy Land to reconsider his vocation. How does this trip help him make a decision about being a priest?
8. Ritual requires a newly-ordained priest perform his first priestly blessing on his parents. How do his parents react?
9. Who are the Paulist Fathers?
10. How is Boston University a good fit for Father Carroll?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When given a crayon, Joseph, in the depths of his Alzheimer's, writes his wife's name repeatedly.
Part 1) Why do you think he does this?
Part 2) What does this say about his choice to leave the seminary and wed Mary?
Part 3) How might this make Mary feel? Why?
Essay Topic 2
James goes through three revolutions of change.
Part 1) What are the three revolutions?
Part 2) Give examples from the text that show these revolutions.
Part 3) How do these revolutions influence him later in life?
Essay Topic 3
Silence is a theme throughout this book.
Part 1) When are characters silent in this book?
Part 2) Why are they silent?
Part 3) How does their silence affect the choices they make and their relationships with those around them?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)