|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is this ceremony for his mother?
2. When the General and Mary reunite with James at St. Paul's College and walk up Fourth Street, to where do they walk?
3. What does James do a week before entering the novitiate?
4. Whose point of view does James present on the Cavett Show?
5. Senator Eugene McCarthy declares his candidacy for president on what platform?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Father Daniel Berrigan caught?
2. Father James continues to have struggles with his vocation and decides to spend the summer on retreat in the Holy Land to reconsider his vocation. How does this trip help him make a decision about being a priest?
3. How does James feel about his calling as both priest and poet?
4. Why can Michael not be buried by a Catholic priest?
5. Why does the President begin to reject escalation of the war and refuse any use of nuclear weapons?
6. Why does James have a hard time promising to obey and respect Cardinal Cooke and his successors?
7. Why is General Carroll successful in his government position?
8. Who are the Paulist Fathers?
9. How is the author resistant to authority?
10. General Carroll's DIA offers up analysis that the bombing is having no effect on Hanoi's ability to wage war. How do the Joint Chiefs respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cardinal Cooke asks candidates to promise to obey and respect him and his successors as he enfolds their hands.
Part 1) Why does James have a hard time accepting this?
Part 2) How does this keep power out of the hands of individual priests?
Part 3) Imagine how you would feel in his position. How would you have handled this situation?
Essay Topic 2
Joe feels like a disgrace for leaving the seminary.
Part 1) Why does he leave the seminary?
Part 2) Why does he feel guilty for leaving? What curse manifests from his leaving the seminary?
Part 3) How does his disgrace linger for the rest of the life?
Essay Topic 3
James goes through three revolutions of change.
Part 1) What are the three revolutions?
Part 2) Give examples from the text that show these revolutions.
Part 3) How do these revolutions influence him later in life?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)