|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. James feels his life ends when he enters seminary and that as a child he first hears the word as what?
2. What does Joseph ask of his son at Christmas dinner, 1965?
3. What convinces James to be Patrick Hughes' friend?
4. Daniel Berrigan becomes a national hero. What is Spellman forced to do?
5. When Kennedy is assassinated, what does Johnson take over?
Short Essay Questions
1. His Holiness addresses the United Nations for its twentieth-year celebration.
2. What leads to General Carroll's feelings towards Martin Luther King, Jr.?
3. Ritual requires a newly-ordained priest perform his first priestly blessing on his parents. How do his parents react?
4. Describe James' second revolution.
5. What is the General's opinion of Martin Luther King, Jr.?
6. Father James continues to have struggles with his vocation and decides to spend the summer on retreat in the Holy Land to reconsider his vocation. How does this trip help him make a decision about being a priest?
7. What is James' opinion of segregation and white supremacy as a child?
8. How does the text show James is beginning to agree with his friends and associates who think he can follow Patrick's example of self-confidence and risk-taking by skating on his own thin ice?
9. How is the author resistant to authority?
10. Why does James feel out of place among the working-class Irish novices?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James goes through three revolutions of change.
Part 1) What are the three revolutions?
Part 2) Give examples from the text that show these revolutions.
Part 3) How do these revolutions influence him later in life?
Essay Topic 2
When given a crayon, Joseph, in the depths of his Alzheimer's, writes his wife's name repeatedly.
Part 1) Why do you think he does this?
Part 2) What does this say about his choice to leave the seminary and wed Mary?
Part 3) How might this make Mary feel? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Walter Cronkite declares the war will end in stalemate.
Part 1) What does the President learn from this message?
Part 2) What does the President do because of this message?
Part 3) What does this show about the power of the civilian population?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)