|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what is the author resistant?
2. To what is the conflict between James and his father limited?
3. What changes James' life and leads to a weekly review of two poems?
4. Robert Kennedy encourages James saying priests are needed in the streets. Who is already in the streets?
5. What do President Johnson and Secretary of Defense McNamara not know about Spellman?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book James' opinion of the military, the government, and war change drastically.
Part 1) What does James think of these as a child? Why?
Part 2) How does his opinion change over time? Why?
Part 3) How do his actions match his change in opinion?
Essay Topic 2
Joe feels like a disgrace for leaving the seminary.
Part 1) Why does he leave the seminary?
Part 2) Why does he feel guilty for leaving? What curse manifests from his leaving the seminary?
Part 3) How does his disgrace linger for the rest of the life?
Essay Topic 3
Silence is a theme throughout this book.
Part 1) When are characters silent in this book?
Part 2) Why are they silent?
Part 3) How does their silence affect the choices they make and their relationships with those around them?
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)