|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On whom does ritual require a newly-ordained priest to first perform his priestly blessing?
2. What begins James' breakdown in shared understanding with his father?
3. How does James feel at his ordination?
4. What does Joseph ask of his son at Christmas dinner, 1965?
5. How does James feel among the working-class Irish novices?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the text show James is beginning to agree with his friends and associates who think he can follow Patrick's example of self-confidence and risk-taking by skating on his own thin ice?
2. How is the author resistant to authority?
3. Ritual requires a newly-ordained priest perform his first priestly blessing on his parents. How do his parents react?
4. What is the General's opinion of Martin Luther King, Jr.?
5. Why does James feel out of place among the working-class Irish novices?
6. What discussions are held at the Carroll dinner table?
7. How is Father Daniel Berrigan caught?
8. Who are the Paulist Fathers?
9. What leads to General Carroll's feelings towards Martin Luther King, Jr.?
10. Why can Michael not be buried by a Catholic priest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A local Catholic priest will not bury Tate's son, Michael.
Part 1) Why will he not bury the child?
Part 2) How does this follow the Catholic church, as described in this book?
Part 3) Do you feel the priest made a good decision? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Joseph Carroll is successful in his roles in the government.
Part 1) What government positions does he hold?
Part 2) How and why is he successful?
Part 3) How does the government benefit from Joseph Carroll?
Essay Topic 3
Pope Paul VI shocks many in government positions and is one of many who protest the Vietnam War.
Part 1) How does Pope Paul VI shock those in government?
Part 2) How do others react to what the Pope preaches?
Part 3) What other people promote peace?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)