|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. James reads an account of his father's conspiracy to destroy whom?
2. These priests focus on a defensive Catholic Church and a hostile American culture.
3. How does the General refer to war protesters?
4. What in Washington transforms James' resistance into a resolution because he is faithful to John XXIII and embodies his vision for the Church?
5. Why do countless Air Force chaplains attend in full dress?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads to General Carroll's feelings towards Martin Luther King, Jr.?
2. His Holiness addresses the United Nations for its twentieth-year celebration.
3. How is Boston University a good fit for Father Carroll?
4. Why does the President begin to reject escalation of the war and refuse any use of nuclear weapons?
5. How is James' friendship with Patrick Hughes significant?
6. Father James continues to have struggles with his vocation and decides to spend the summer on retreat in the Holy Land to reconsider his vocation. How does this trip help him make a decision about being a priest?
7. Why does James feel out of place among the working-class Irish novices?
8. How is Father Daniel Berrigan caught?
9. Why can Michael not be buried by a Catholic priest?
10. How is the author resistant to authority?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cardinal Cooke asks candidates to promise to obey and respect him and his successors as he enfolds their hands.
Part 1) Why does James have a hard time accepting this?
Part 2) How does this keep power out of the hands of individual priests?
Part 3) Imagine how you would feel in his position. How would you have handled this situation?
Essay Topic 2
James goes through three revolutions of change.
Part 1) What are the three revolutions?
Part 2) Give examples from the text that show these revolutions.
Part 3) How do these revolutions influence him later in life?
Essay Topic 3
The B-52 Bomber is an important symbol in this book.
Part 1) What is a B-52 Bomber? What is its purpose?
Part 2) How is the B-52 Bomber significant in this book?
Part 3) How does the B-52 Bomber symbolize James' opinion of war and the military?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)