|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what does James learn Catholic beliefs in scripture, events and characters are based?
2. The Pope's speech ends in French. What does it translate to in English?
3. Who is the FBI resolved to bring down?
4. Senator Eugene McCarthy declares his candidacy for president on what platform?
5. Who is delighted to be a personal guest of Cardinal Spellman's and helps welcome the Pope?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the tone difference between Robert F. Kennedy and J. Edgar Hoover?
2. How is Boston University a good fit for Father Carroll?
3. Father James continues to have struggles with his vocation and decides to spend the summer on retreat in the Holy Land to reconsider his vocation. How does this trip help him make a decision about being a priest?
4. How does Father Daniel Berrigan protest the war?
5. What leads to General Carroll's feelings towards Martin Luther King, Jr.?
6. His Holiness addresses the United Nations for its twentieth-year celebration.
7. How is James' friendship with Patrick Hughes significant?
8. What is James' opinion of segregation and white supremacy as a child?
9. Who are the Paulist Fathers?
10. Why can Michael not be buried by a Catholic priest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James' and his father's differing opinions permanently affect their relationship.
Part 1) How is their relationship when James is young?
Part 2) What causes the rift in their relationship?
Part 3) Why are they unable to heal their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Pope Paul VI shocks many in government positions and is one of many who protest the Vietnam War.
Part 1) How does Pope Paul VI shock those in government?
Part 2) How do others react to what the Pope preaches?
Part 3) What other people promote peace?
Essay Topic 3
Father James continues to have struggles with his vocation and decides to spend the summer on retreat in the Holy Land to reconsider his vocation.
Part 1) What does James do in the Holy Land?
Part 2) Who does he meet? How does he help him in his decision-making?
Part 3) How does James resolve this struggle?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)