|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is not James' belief but simply taken for granted as the way things are?
2. What happens to James when he raises the Confederate flag to celebrate Robert E. Lee's birthday in the Washington Benedictine prep school?
3. How does the General refer to war protesters?
4. Who becomes famous for leaking the Pentagon Papers?
5. What does Joe Carroll do as James blesses him and lays hands on his head?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can Michael not be buried by a Catholic priest?
2. What is James' opinion of segregation and white supremacy as a child?
3. How is the author resistant to authority?
4. Why does James have a hard time promising to obey and respect Cardinal Cooke and his successors?
5. His Holiness addresses the United Nations for its twentieth-year celebration.
6. Why does the President begin to reject escalation of the war and refuse any use of nuclear weapons?
7. Why is General Carroll successful in his government position?
8. General Carroll's DIA offers up analysis that the bombing is having no effect on Hanoi's ability to wage war. How do the Joint Chiefs respond?
9. What is the tone difference between Robert F. Kennedy and J. Edgar Hoover?
10. General Carroll is chairman of a Washington dinner to honor Hoover. He asks Father James to offer the benediction. How does Father James react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The government attempts to destroy Martin Luther King, Jr.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) How?
Part 3) Are they successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
A local Catholic priest will not bury Tate's son, Michael.
Part 1) Why will he not bury the child?
Part 2) How does this follow the Catholic church, as described in this book?
Part 3) Do you feel the priest made a good decision? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Pope Paul VI shocks many in government positions and is one of many who protest the Vietnam War.
Part 1) How does Pope Paul VI shock those in government?
Part 2) How do others react to what the Pope preaches?
Part 3) What other people promote peace?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)