|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. J. Edgar Hoover persecutes King, and who does he recruit in an unsuccessful attempt to stop King from meeting the Pope?
2. Who is the host in place of Dick Cavett?
3. What does Joseph ask of his son at Christmas dinner, 1965?
4. Why does Robert Kennedy send federal marshals instead of FBI agents to protect James Meredith at Ole Miss?
5. How is Dan Berrigan's hiding place found?
Short Essay Questions
1. What discussions are held at the Carroll dinner table?
2. How does James feel about his calling as both priest and poet?
3. Why does James feel out of place among the working-class Irish novices?
4. Why is General Carroll successful in his government position?
5. What is James' opinion of segregation and white supremacy as a child?
6. His Holiness addresses the United Nations for its twentieth-year celebration.
7. General Carroll is chairman of a Washington dinner to honor Hoover. He asks Father James to offer the benediction. How does Father James react?
8. Ritual requires a newly-ordained priest perform his first priestly blessing on his parents. How do his parents react?
9. What is the General's opinion of Martin Luther King, Jr.?
10. How does Martin Luther King, Jr. react when John F. Kennedy tells him Levison, King's adviser, is a one-time Communist Party official with ties to Moscow that risk civil-rights legislation in Congress?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When given a crayon, Joseph, in the depths of his Alzheimer's, writes his wife's name repeatedly.
Part 1) Why do you think he does this?
Part 2) What does this say about his choice to leave the seminary and wed Mary?
Part 3) How might this make Mary feel? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Allen Tate plays an important role in the development of James Carroll.
Part 1) Who is Allen Tate?
Part 2) How does James first come into contact with Tate?
Part 3) What does James learn about himself through Tate's comments?
Essay Topic 3
Walter Cronkite declares the war will end in stalemate.
Part 1) What does the President learn from this message?
Part 2) What does the President do because of this message?
Part 3) What does this show about the power of the civilian population?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)