|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does James believe Joe Carroll embodies the motto?
2. Who does Cardinal Spellman meet in 1950?
3. When Kennedy is assassinated, what does Johnson take over?
4. What is not James' belief but simply taken for granted as the way things are?
5. Tom Dooley writes a book inferring what about Vietnam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the tone difference between Robert F. Kennedy and J. Edgar Hoover?
2. General Carroll is chairman of a Washington dinner to honor Hoover. He asks Father James to offer the benediction. How does Father James react?
3. How is James' friendship with Patrick Hughes significant?
4. How is Boston University a good fit for Father Carroll?
5. How does Father Daniel Berrigan protest the war?
6. His Holiness addresses the United Nations for its twentieth-year celebration.
7. Ritual requires a newly-ordained priest perform his first priestly blessing on his parents. How do his parents react?
8. How does James feel about his calling as both priest and poet?
9. Describe James' second revolution.
10. How does the text show James is beginning to agree with his friends and associates who think he can follow Patrick's example of self-confidence and risk-taking by skating on his own thin ice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Paulist Fathers are a unique American order of priests.
Part 1) Who are the Paulist Fathers?
Part 2) How are they unique?
Part 3) Why are they charged with crimes against the church?
Essay Topic 2
Allen Tate plays an important role in the development of James Carroll.
Part 1) Who is Allen Tate?
Part 2) How does James first come into contact with Tate?
Part 3) What does James learn about himself through Tate's comments?
Essay Topic 3
The government attempts to destroy Martin Luther King, Jr.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) How?
Part 3) Are they successful? Why or why not?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)