|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does James feel as if he knows the Pope?
2. For years what does James wonder about his father?
3. President Kennedy reverses nuclear thinking through speeches, the Test Ban Treaty and what else?
4. Joe and his family leave Chicago for FBI training. After training, where are they assigned?
5. What does he instruct James to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Father James continues to have struggles with his vocation and decides to spend the summer on retreat in the Holy Land to reconsider his vocation. How does this trip help him make a decision about being a priest?
2. What is the tone difference between Robert F. Kennedy and J. Edgar Hoover?
3. How is Boston University a good fit for Father Carroll?
4. Describe James' second revolution.
5. How is Father Daniel Berrigan caught?
6. Why can Michael not be buried by a Catholic priest?
7. General Carroll's DIA offers up analysis that the bombing is having no effect on Hanoi's ability to wage war. How do the Joint Chiefs respond?
8. How do 1950s Americans perceive Pope Pius XII?
9. How does Father Daniel Berrigan protest the war?
10. Who are the Paulist Fathers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Father James continues to have struggles with his vocation and decides to spend the summer on retreat in the Holy Land to reconsider his vocation.
Part 1) What does James do in the Holy Land?
Part 2) Who does he meet? How does he help him in his decision-making?
Part 3) How does James resolve this struggle?
Essay Topic 2
James' and his father's differing opinions permanently affect their relationship.
Part 1) How is their relationship when James is young?
Part 2) What causes the rift in their relationship?
Part 3) Why are they unable to heal their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
James sees his life following two possible tracks.
Part 1) What are the two tracks?
Part 2) Which track does he pick? Why does he pick it?
Part 3) How does this choice affect the rest of his life?
This section contains 1,820 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)