|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what is Joe junior a sign?
2. What is one reason why James receives the ROTC award?
3. Where is the Chapel located?
4. What does Joe stay in for twenty-five years rather than the six months originally expected?
5. Of what is this sexual image the opposite in James' life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Joe's attitude about human nature?
2. How does Joe Carroll catch Roger Touhy?
3. What does James realize about his desire to enter the seminary?
4. How does James' antiwar stance affect his father?
5. What do Joe and Mary do for their Chicago guests and relatives from Chicago?
6. How is the Carroll family's experience in Washington, D.C.?
7. How does James, the anti-war priest from a military family feel giving his first sermon?
8. Why does Joe feel like a disgrace for leaving the seminary?
9. Upon what does James Carroll reflect?
10. Why is FDR an admired president?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joseph believes the "spoiled priest" curse is passed from him to his son.
Part 1) How does Joseph act that supports this statement?
Part 2) Why has Joseph not been able to escape this curse?
Part 3) How does his belief in this curse further push his son, James, away from him?
Essay Topic 2
Joseph Carroll is successful in his roles in the government.
Part 1) What government positions does he hold?
Part 2) How and why is he successful?
Part 3) How does the government benefit from Joseph Carroll?
Essay Topic 3
Allen Tate plays an important role in the development of James Carroll.
Part 1) Who is Allen Tate?
Part 2) How does James first come into contact with Tate?
Part 3) What does James learn about himself through Tate's comments?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)