|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of whom will the General depend on James to take care?
2. Where is the Chapel located?
3. Who is the ever-present symbol and embodiment of the Catholic Church?
4. Where does James attend school?
5. What proposes using bomb shelters after a U.S. first strike?
Short Essay Questions
1. Upon what does James Carroll reflect?
2. How does James' antiwar stance affect his father?
3. Why is the General in a somber mood on the drive home with his son?
4. How does James perceive his family's time in Germany?
5. Upon what does James reflect at the end of the chapter, regarding B-52s and nuclear war?
6. How does Roosevelt's inauguration differ from past presidential inaugurations?
7. What are some of the discussions about use of nuclear weapons in preemptive strikes on China and the Soviet Union that James remembers?
8. How do Joseph and Mary react to Joe junior's contraction of polio?
9. How does Roger Touhy who is a Chicago bank robber, kidnapper and killer that have a significant impact on James' father's career?
10. How does James, the anti-war priest from a military family feel giving his first sermon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joseph Carroll is successful in his roles in the government.
Part 1) What government positions does he hold?
Part 2) How and why is he successful?
Part 3) How does the government benefit from Joseph Carroll?
Essay Topic 2
Pope Paul VI shocks many in government positions and is one of many who protest the Vietnam War.
Part 1) How does Pope Paul VI shock those in government?
Part 2) How do others react to what the Pope preaches?
Part 3) What other people promote peace?
Essay Topic 3
The government attempts to destroy Martin Luther King, Jr.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) How?
Part 3) Are they successful? Why or why not?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)