|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who prophecies a valley full of vast quantities of dry bones?
2. What does Joe stay in for twenty-five years rather than the six months originally expected?
3. How does Edward J. Kelly, Chicago's mayor and head of the Democratic Party, bring in millions?
4. James hopes his ROTC unit is picked to march in whose parade?
5. What are Americans encouraged to do against the Soviet fallout?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the FBI do to Martin Luther King, Jr.?
2. How does James honor his father in this chapter?
3. How does Joseph's family realize without a doubt that he is suffering from Alzheimer's.
4. How does James change from his pro-war attitude?
5. What are Joseph's and Mary's roles in their family?
6. What leads to General Carroll's feelings towards Martin Luther King, Jr.?
7. How does the celebration begin?
8. Who is in attendance for his first mass and sermon?
9. How does Joe Carroll catch Roger Touhy?
10. What does James realize about his desire to enter the seminary?
Essay Topic 1
The B-52 Bomber is an important symbol in this book.
Part 1) What is a B-52 Bomber? What is its purpose?
Part 2) How is the B-52 Bomber significant in this book?
Part 3) How does the B-52 Bomber symbolize James' opinion of war and the military?
Essay Topic 2
The Paulist Fathers are a unique American order of priests.
Part 1) Who are the Paulist Fathers?
Part 2) How are they unique?
Part 3) Why are they charged with crimes against the church?
Essay Topic 3
A local Catholic priest will not bury Tate's son, Michael.
Part 1) Why will he not bury the child?
Part 2) How does this follow the Catholic church, as described in this book?
Part 3) Do you feel the priest made a good decision? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,608 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)