|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Chicago bank robber, kidnapper and killer has a significant impact on James' father's career?
2. The rank General Carroll achieves allows his family to have friendships among what group of people?
3. President Kennedy reverses nuclear thinking through speeches, the Test Ban Treaty and what else?
4. James and Joe junior accompany their father to what base in Puerto Rico?
5. Where is the Chapel located?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Father Daniel Berrigan protest the war?
2. What is the General's opinion of Martin Luther King, Jr.?
3. Ritual requires a newly-ordained priest perform his first priestly blessing on his parents. How do his parents react?
4. How does James change from his pro-war attitude?
5. What does General Carroll share with his son regarding war?
6. How does Joseph's family realize without a doubt that he is suffering from Alzheimer's.
7. General Carroll's DIA offers up analysis that the bombing is having no effect on Hanoi's ability to wage war. How do the Joint Chiefs respond?
8. What is James' opinion of segregation and white supremacy as a child?
9. How does Martin Luther King, Jr. react when John F. Kennedy tells him Levison, King's adviser, is a one-time Communist Party official with ties to Moscow that risk civil-rights legislation in Congress?
10. How do Joseph and Mary react to Joe junior's contraction of polio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Allen Tate plays an important role in the development of James Carroll.
Part 1) Who is Allen Tate?
Part 2) How does James first come into contact with Tate?
Part 3) What does James learn about himself through Tate's comments?
Essay Topic 2
Joe feels like a disgrace for leaving the seminary.
Part 1) Why does he leave the seminary?
Part 2) Why does he feel guilty for leaving? What curse manifests from his leaving the seminary?
Part 3) How does his disgrace linger for the rest of the life?
Essay Topic 3
A local Catholic priest will not bury Tate's son, Michael.
Part 1) Why will he not bury the child?
Part 2) How does this follow the Catholic church, as described in this book?
Part 3) Do you feel the priest made a good decision? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,684 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)