|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. James and Joe junior accompany their father to what base in Puerto Rico?
2. James is in college now and working as what for the summer?
3. What are Americans encouraged to do against the Soviet fallout?
4. James recalls that by 1993, he no longer fears nuclear war. Why?
5. How does Joe feel about leaving the seminary?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Joseph's and Mary's roles in their family?
2. What is Elvis' significance in this story?
3. How is James' friendship with Patrick Hughes significant?
4. What is known about Francis Cardinal Spellman?
5. Why is FDR an admired president?
6. How does Joseph's family realize without a doubt that he is suffering from Alzheimer's.
7. Describe James' second revolution.
8. Why does James have a hard time promising to obey and respect Cardinal Cooke and his successors?
9. What is the General's opinion of Martin Luther King, Jr.?
10. Why does the President begin to reject escalation of the war and refuse any use of nuclear weapons?
Essay Topic 1
The government attempts to destroy Martin Luther King, Jr.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) How?
Part 3) Are they successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book James' opinion of the military, the government, and war change drastically.
Part 1) What does James think of these as a child? Why?
Part 2) How does his opinion change over time? Why?
Part 3) How do his actions match his change in opinion?
Essay Topic 3
A local Catholic priest will not bury Tate's son, Michael.
Part 1) Why will he not bury the child?
Part 2) How does this follow the Catholic church, as described in this book?
Part 3) Do you feel the priest made a good decision? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,621 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)