|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is founding director of the Defense Intelligence Agency in charge of enemy counts and evaluating targets in Vietnam?
2. James recalls that by 1993, he no longer fears nuclear war. Why?
3. What dream does James abandon, when he chooses to attend seminary school?
4. How is James, Joe and Mary's second son, born?
5. Joe and Mary Carroll have how many brothers and sisters?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does James change from his pro-war attitude?
2. What is Elvis' significance in this story?
3. What is known about Francis Cardinal Spellman?
4. How is the Carroll family's experience in Washington, D.C.?
5. Upon what does James reflect at the end of the chapter, regarding B-52s and nuclear war?
6. What is Joe's attitude about human nature?
7. Why is FDR an admired president?
8. Who is in attendance for his first mass and sermon?
9. How do Joseph and Mary react to Joe junior's contraction of polio?
10. Upon what does James Carroll reflect?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Father James continues to have struggles with his vocation and decides to spend the summer on retreat in the Holy Land to reconsider his vocation.
Part 1) What does James do in the Holy Land?
Part 2) Who does he meet? How does he help him in his decision-making?
Part 3) How does James resolve this struggle?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book James' opinion of the military, the government, and war change drastically.
Part 1) What does James think of these as a child? Why?
Part 2) How does his opinion change over time? Why?
Part 3) How do his actions match his change in opinion?
Essay Topic 3
Joe feels like a disgrace for leaving the seminary.
Part 1) Why does he leave the seminary?
Part 2) Why does he feel guilty for leaving? What curse manifests from his leaving the seminary?
Part 3) How does his disgrace linger for the rest of the life?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)