|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. James Carroll reminisces on experiences as a young boy growing up in what city?
2. Who is the newly-ordained priest?
3. What does General Carroll confide in his son?
4. Who is the ever-present symbol and embodiment of the Catholic Church?
5. How many generals attend the reception following at the Officers' Club?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does James realize about his desire to enter the seminary?
2. How does James perceive his family's time in Germany?
3. Why is the General in a somber mood on the drive home with his son?
4. How does James honor his father in this chapter?
5. What are Joseph's and Mary's roles in their family?
6. Upon what does James reflect at the end of the chapter, regarding B-52s and nuclear war?
7. Upon what does James Carroll reflect?
8. What does the B-52 Bomber symbolize to James?
9. How do 1950s Americans perceive Pope Pius XII?
10. What are the two tracks James sees in his life in Wiesbaden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joe feels like a disgrace for leaving the seminary.
Part 1) Why does he leave the seminary?
Part 2) Why does he feel guilty for leaving? What curse manifests from his leaving the seminary?
Part 3) How does his disgrace linger for the rest of the life?
Essay Topic 2
Silence is a theme throughout this book.
Part 1) When are characters silent in this book?
Part 2) Why are they silent?
Part 3) How does their silence affect the choices they make and their relationships with those around them?
Essay Topic 3
A local Catholic priest will not bury Tate's son, Michael.
Part 1) Why will he not bury the child?
Part 2) How does this follow the Catholic church, as described in this book?
Part 3) Do you feel the priest made a good decision? Why or why not?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)