|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the ever-present symbol and embodiment of the Catholic Church?
2. How many generals attend the reception following at the Officers' Club?
3. Why does James feel as if he knows the Pope?
4. No longer Father James, a priest, what is James Carroll?
5. What happens as James and his father are golfing on the base golf course in Puerto Rico?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does James realize about his desire to enter the seminary?
2. How do 1950s Americans perceive Pope Pius XII?
3. How does James change from his pro-war attitude?
4. How does James, the anti-war priest from a military family feel giving his first sermon?
5. Why is FDR an admired president?
6. How does James perceive his family's time in Germany?
7. What are the two tracks James sees in his life in Wiesbaden?
8. How do Joseph and Mary react to Joe junior's contraction of polio?
9. How does the celebration begin?
10. How does Roger Touhy who is a Chicago bank robber, kidnapper and killer that have a significant impact on James' father's career?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Paulist Fathers are a unique American order of priests.
Part 1) Who are the Paulist Fathers?
Part 2) How are they unique?
Part 3) Why are they charged with crimes against the church?
Essay Topic 2
Walter Cronkite declares the war will end in stalemate.
Part 1) What does the President learn from this message?
Part 2) What does the President do because of this message?
Part 3) What does this show about the power of the civilian population?
Essay Topic 3
James is both priest and poet.
Part 1) How does he come to be both?
Part 2) How does he struggle with these two callings?
Part 3) At the end of the book, is he a priest, poet, or both? Explain.
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)