|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his year at Georgetown University what is the author named?
2. Eisenhower is the first president who wears what kind of hat?
3. Where is the Chapel located?
4. What proposes using bomb shelters after a U.S. first strike?
5. Who is the ever-present symbol and embodiment of the Catholic Church?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do 1950s Americans perceive Pope Pius XII?
2. Upon what does James reflect at the end of the chapter, regarding B-52s and nuclear war?
3. What discussions are held at the Carroll dinner table?
4. Why can Michael not be buried by a Catholic priest?
5. Why does Joe feel like a disgrace for leaving the seminary?
6. Why is the General in a somber mood on the drive home with his son?
7. How does James, the anti-war priest from a military family feel giving his first sermon?
8. What are the two tracks James sees in his life in Wiesbaden?
9. What is Elvis' significance in this story?
10. How do Joseph and Mary react to Joe junior's contraction of polio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James sees his life following two possible tracks.
Part 1) What are the two tracks?
Part 2) Which track does he pick? Why does he pick it?
Part 3) How does this choice affect the rest of his life?
Essay Topic 2
Walter Cronkite declares the war will end in stalemate.
Part 1) What does the President learn from this message?
Part 2) What does the President do because of this message?
Part 3) What does this show about the power of the civilian population?
Essay Topic 3
Pope Paul VI shocks many in government positions and is one of many who protest the Vietnam War.
Part 1) How does Pope Paul VI shock those in government?
Part 2) How do others react to what the Pope preaches?
Part 3) What other people promote peace?
This section contains 1,666 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)