Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. James and Joe junior accompany their father to what base in Puerto Rico?
2. James is in college now and working as what for the summer?
3. What are Americans encouraged to do against the Soviet fallout?
4. James recalls that by 1993, he no longer fears nuclear war. Why?
5. How does Joe feel about leaving the seminary?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Joseph's and Mary's roles in their family?
2. What is Elvis' significance in this story?
3. How is James' friendship with Patrick Hughes significant?
4. What is known about Francis Cardinal Spellman?
5. Why is FDR an admired president?
6. How does Joseph's family realize without a doubt that he is suffering from Alzheimer's.
7. Describe James' second revolution.
8. Why does James have a hard time promising to obey and respect Cardinal Cooke and his successors?
9. What is the General's opinion of Martin Luther King, Jr.?
10. Why does the President begin to reject escalation of the war and refuse any use of nuclear weapons?
Essay Topic 1
Pope Paul VI shocks many in government positions and is one of many who protest the Vietnam War.
Part 1) How does Pope Paul VI shock those in government?
Part 2) How do others react to what the Pope preaches?
Part 3) What other people promote peace?
Essay Topic 2
Joseph believes the "spoiled priest" curse is passed from him to his son.
Part 1) How does Joseph act that supports this statement?
Part 2) Why has Joseph not been able to escape this curse?
Part 3) How does his belief in this curse further push his son, James, away from him?
Essay Topic 3
Joe feels like a disgrace for leaving the seminary.
Part 1) Why does he leave the seminary?
Part 2) Why does he feel guilty for leaving? What curse manifests from his leaving the seminary?
Part 3) How does his disgrace linger for the rest of the life?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)