|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joe, now General Carroll, is serving in what position?
2. What is a highlight of James' parent's life?
3. Where does the author secretly throw his Georgetown University prize?
4. James hopes his ROTC unit is picked to march in whose parade?
5. How does James get to know Monsignor Chess?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does James change from his pro-war attitude?
2. His Holiness addresses the United Nations for its twentieth-year celebration.
3. How does James honor his father in this chapter?
4. Why is General Carroll successful in his government position?
5. What is known about Francis Cardinal Spellman?
6. What are Joseph's and Mary's roles in their family?
7. Why is FDR an admired president?
8. Describe James' second revolution.
9. What is Elvis' significance in this story?
10. What is Joe's attitude about human nature?
Essay Topic 1
Pope Paul VI shocks many in government positions and is one of many who protest the Vietnam War.
Part 1) How does Pope Paul VI shock those in government?
Part 2) How do others react to what the Pope preaches?
Part 3) What other people promote peace?
Essay Topic 2
James' and his father's differing opinions permanently affect their relationship.
Part 1) How is their relationship when James is young?
Part 2) What causes the rift in their relationship?
Part 3) Why are they unable to heal their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
When James is growing up, the Catholic Church is still hiding its accounts of sexual immorality.
Part 1) How does James deal with his struggle with his sexuality?
Part 2) How does he view the religious men around him? How they aid him in his choices?
Part 3) Predict James' reaction to the priests he knows, if he had learned about their breaking of the vow of celibacy. How might this knowledge have affected his decisions?
This section contains 1,678 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)