|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does he instruct James to do?
2. How does this chapter compare to the conflicted and painful opening chapter?
3. Who commends Joe Carroll's action in capturing Touhy?
4. Who is the newly-ordained priest?
5. Who believes human nature is incapable of good?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two tracks James sees in his life in Wiesbaden?
2. What do Joe and Mary do for their Chicago guests and relatives from Chicago?
3. What government position does Joe Carroll have in Europe?
4. What does General Carroll share with his son regarding war?
5. How does James' antiwar stance affect his father?
6. How does Joe become a part of Kelly's political hypocrisy?
7. How does James honor his father in this chapter?
8. What does the B-52 Bomber symbolize to James?
9. How does James change from his pro-war attitude?
10. How does Roosevelt's inauguration differ from past presidential inaugurations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joseph Carroll is successful in his roles in the government.
Part 1) What government positions does he hold?
Part 2) How and why is he successful?
Part 3) How does the government benefit from Joseph Carroll?
Essay Topic 2
A local Catholic priest will not bury Tate's son, Michael.
Part 1) Why will he not bury the child?
Part 2) How does this follow the Catholic church, as described in this book?
Part 3) Do you feel the priest made a good decision? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
When given a crayon, Joseph, in the depths of his Alzheimer's, writes his wife's name repeatedly.
Part 1) Why do you think he does this?
Part 2) What does this say about his choice to leave the seminary and wed Mary?
Part 3) How might this make Mary feel? Why?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)