|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joe and Mary Carroll have how many brothers and sisters?
2. James is in college now and working as what for the summer?
3. Father Carroll affirms whose power?
4. Joseph gives his family what motto?
5. Who prophecies a valley full of vast quantities of dry bones?
Short Essay Questions
1. What government position does Joe Carroll have in Europe?
2. Why does Joe feel like a disgrace for leaving the seminary?
3. Why is the General in a somber mood on the drive home with his son?
4. What do Joe and Mary do for their Chicago guests and relatives from Chicago?
5. How does James, the anti-war priest from a military family feel giving his first sermon?
6. What is Joe's attitude about human nature?
7. Upon what does James Carroll reflect?
8. How does Roger Touhy who is a Chicago bank robber, kidnapper and killer that have a significant impact on James' father's career?
9. What are the two tracks James sees in his life in Wiesbaden?
10. What does the B-52 Bomber symbolize to James?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James goes through three revolutions of change.
Part 1) What are the three revolutions?
Part 2) Give examples from the text that show these revolutions.
Part 3) How do these revolutions influence him later in life?
Essay Topic 2
Father James continues to have struggles with his vocation and decides to spend the summer on retreat in the Holy Land to reconsider his vocation.
Part 1) What does James do in the Holy Land?
Part 2) Who does he meet? How does he help him in his decision-making?
Part 3) How does James resolve this struggle?
Essay Topic 3
Joseph Carroll is successful in his roles in the government.
Part 1) What government positions does he hold?
Part 2) How and why is he successful?
Part 3) How does the government benefit from Joseph Carroll?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)