Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. James and Joe junior accompany their father to what base in Puerto Rico?
2. James is in college now and working as what for the summer?
3. What are Americans encouraged to do against the Soviet fallout?
4. James recalls that by 1993, he no longer fears nuclear war. Why?
5. How does Joe feel about leaving the seminary?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Joseph's and Mary's roles in their family?
2. What is Elvis' significance in this story?
3. How is James' friendship with Patrick Hughes significant?
4. What is known about Francis Cardinal Spellman?
5. Why is FDR an admired president?
6. How does Joseph's family realize without a doubt that he is suffering from Alzheimer's.
7. Describe James' second revolution.
8. Why does James have a hard time promising to obey and respect Cardinal Cooke and his successors?
9. What is the General's opinion of Martin Luther King, Jr.?
10. Why does the President begin to reject escalation of the war and refuse any use of nuclear weapons?
When James is growing up, the Catholic Church is still hiding its accounts of sexual immorality.
Part 1) How does James deal with his struggle with his sexuality?
Part 2) How does he view the religious men around him? How they aid him in his choices?
Part 3) Predict James' reaction to the priests he knows, if he had learned about their breaking of the vow of celibacy. How might this knowledge have affected his decisions?
The B-52 Bomber is an important symbol in this book.
Part 1) What is a B-52 Bomber? What is its purpose?
Part 2) How is the B-52 Bomber significant in this book?
Part 3) How does the B-52 Bomber symbolize James' opinion of war and the military?
James is both priest and poet.
Part 1) How does he come to be both?
Part 2) How does he struggle with these two callings?
Part 3) At the end of the book, is he a priest, poet, or both? Explain.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)