|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his year at Georgetown University what is the author named?
2. How is James, Joe and Mary's second son, born?
3. How does James perceive the Carroll family's time in Germany?
4. How does Joe feel about leaving the seminary?
5. Where does Joe Carroll work to support his family?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does James, the anti-war priest from a military family feel giving his first sermon?
2. What are the two tracks James sees in his life in Wiesbaden?
3. How does James honor his father in this chapter?
4. How does James perceive his family's time in Germany?
5. What does the B-52 Bomber symbolize to James?
6. Why is the General in a somber mood on the drive home with his son?
7. What are some of the discussions about use of nuclear weapons in preemptive strikes on China and the Soviet Union that James remembers?
8. Upon what does James Carroll reflect?
9. What is Joe's attitude about human nature?
10. What does General Carroll share with his son regarding war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Father James continues to have struggles with his vocation and decides to spend the summer on retreat in the Holy Land to reconsider his vocation.
Part 1) What does James do in the Holy Land?
Part 2) Who does he meet? How does he help him in his decision-making?
Part 3) How does James resolve this struggle?
Essay Topic 2
Allen Tate plays an important role in the development of James Carroll.
Part 1) Who is Allen Tate?
Part 2) How does James first come into contact with Tate?
Part 3) What does James learn about himself through Tate's comments?
Essay Topic 3
Cardinal Cooke asks candidates to promise to obey and respect him and his successors as he enfolds their hands.
Part 1) Why does James have a hard time accepting this?
Part 2) How does this keep power out of the hands of individual priests?
Part 3) Imagine how you would feel in his position. How would you have handled this situation?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)