|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The rank General Carroll achieves allows his family to have friendships among what group of people?
2. Who is founding director of the Defense Intelligence Agency in charge of enemy counts and evaluating targets in Vietnam?
3. What Chicago bank robber, kidnapper and killer has a significant impact on James' father's career?
4. What dream does James abandon, when he chooses to attend seminary school?
5. What does being a priest preaching his first sermon make apparent about James?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is FDR an admired president?
2. What are some of the discussions about use of nuclear weapons in preemptive strikes on China and the Soviet Union that James remembers?
3. What is Elvis' significance in this story?
4. What do Joe and Mary do for their Chicago guests and relatives from Chicago?
5. What is Joe's attitude about human nature?
6. How do 1950s Americans perceive Pope Pius XII?
7. What is known about Francis Cardinal Spellman?
8. How does Roosevelt's inauguration differ from past presidential inaugurations?
9. What are the two tracks James sees in his life in Wiesbaden?
10. How does Joe Carroll catch Roger Touhy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When given a crayon, Joseph, in the depths of his Alzheimer's, writes his wife's name repeatedly.
Part 1) Why do you think he does this?
Part 2) What does this say about his choice to leave the seminary and wed Mary?
Part 3) How might this make Mary feel? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The B-52 Bomber is an important symbol in this book.
Part 1) What is a B-52 Bomber? What is its purpose?
Part 2) How is the B-52 Bomber significant in this book?
Part 3) How does the B-52 Bomber symbolize James' opinion of war and the military?
Essay Topic 3
The Paulist Fathers are a unique American order of priests.
Part 1) Who are the Paulist Fathers?
Part 2) How are they unique?
Part 3) Why are they charged with crimes against the church?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)