|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Despite the cold, James is pleased this president does not do this.
2. How does this chapter compare to the conflicted and painful opening chapter?
3. What does he instruct James to do?
4. How does James perceive the Carroll family's time in Germany?
5. Of whom will the General depend on James to take care?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is known about Francis Cardinal Spellman?
2. How does James' antiwar stance affect his father?
3. How does James, the anti-war priest from a military family feel giving his first sermon?
4. How do 1950s Americans perceive Pope Pius XII?
5. What do Joe and Mary do for their Chicago guests and relatives from Chicago?
6. What are the two tracks James sees in his life in Wiesbaden?
7. What are Joseph's and Mary's roles in their family?
8. Who is in attendance for his first mass and sermon?
9. Upon what does James reflect at the end of the chapter, regarding B-52s and nuclear war?
10. How does James honor his father in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A local Catholic priest will not bury Tate's son, Michael.
Part 1) Why will he not bury the child?
Part 2) How does this follow the Catholic church, as described in this book?
Part 3) Do you feel the priest made a good decision? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
James sees his life following two possible tracks.
Part 1) What are the two tracks?
Part 2) Which track does he pick? Why does he pick it?
Part 3) How does this choice affect the rest of his life?
Essay Topic 3
Silence is a theme throughout this book.
Part 1) When are characters silent in this book?
Part 2) Why are they silent?
Part 3) How does their silence affect the choices they make and their relationships with those around them?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)