|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Father Carroll affirms whose power?
2. FDR is an admired president because of the way he treats what?
3. What are Americans encouraged to do against the Soviet fallout?
4. Where does the author's mother take him as a two-year-old along with his four-year-old brother, Joe?
5. Who is the ever-present symbol and embodiment of the Catholic Church?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does James realize about his desire to enter the seminary?
2. How does James' antiwar stance affect his father?
3. How does Roger Touhy who is a Chicago bank robber, kidnapper and killer that have a significant impact on James' father's career?
4. How does James perceive his family's time in Germany?
5. What does the B-52 Bomber symbolize to James?
6. How do Joseph and Mary react to Joe junior's contraction of polio?
7. What are some of the discussions about use of nuclear weapons in preemptive strikes on China and the Soviet Union that James remembers?
8. Why is the General in a somber mood on the drive home with his son?
9. What is Joe's attitude about human nature?
10. Who is in attendance for his first mass and sermon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The B-52 Bomber is an important symbol in this book.
Part 1) What is a B-52 Bomber? What is its purpose?
Part 2) How is the B-52 Bomber significant in this book?
Part 3) How does the B-52 Bomber symbolize James' opinion of war and the military?
Essay Topic 2
When James is growing up, the Catholic Church is still hiding its accounts of sexual immorality.
Part 1) How does James deal with his struggle with his sexuality?
Part 2) How does he view the religious men around him? How they aid him in his choices?
Part 3) Predict James' reaction to the priests he knows, if he had learned about their breaking of the vow of celibacy. How might this knowledge have affected his decisions?
Essay Topic 3
Father James continues to have struggles with his vocation and decides to spend the summer on retreat in the Holy Land to reconsider his vocation.
Part 1) What does James do in the Holy Land?
Part 2) Who does he meet? How does he help him in his decision-making?
Part 3) How does James resolve this struggle?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)