|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe stay in for twenty-five years rather than the six months originally expected?
2. What Chicago bank robber, kidnapper and killer has a significant impact on James' father's career?
3. What does Joseph believe his own pride causes?
4. Who confirms his appreciation of Joe Carroll by assigning him to Washington as chief of kidnapping and bank robbery investigations for the entire Bureau?
5. No longer Father James, a priest, what is James Carroll?
Short Essay Questions
1. Upon what does James reflect at the end of the chapter, regarding B-52s and nuclear war?
2. How does Father Daniel Berrigan protest the war?
3. What does the B-52 Bomber symbolize to James?
4. What does General Carroll share with his son regarding war?
5. What leads to General Carroll's feelings towards Martin Luther King, Jr.?
6. What is Elvis' significance in this story?
7. Why is General Carroll successful in his government position?
8. How does Roosevelt's inauguration differ from past presidential inaugurations?
9. Upon what does James Carroll reflect?
10. Who is in attendance for his first mass and sermon?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book James' opinion of the military, the government, and war change drastically.
Part 1) What does James think of these as a child? Why?
Part 2) How does his opinion change over time? Why?
Part 3) How do his actions match his change in opinion?
Essay Topic 2
Joseph believes the "spoiled priest" curse is passed from him to his son.
Part 1) How does Joseph act that supports this statement?
Part 2) Why has Joseph not been able to escape this curse?
Part 3) How does his belief in this curse further push his son, James, away from him?
Essay Topic 3
James sees his life following two possible tracks.
Part 1) What are the two tracks?
Part 2) Which track does he pick? Why does he pick it?
Part 3) How does this choice affect the rest of his life?
This section contains 1,560 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)