Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. James and Joe junior accompany their father to what base in Puerto Rico?
2. James is in college now and working as what for the summer?
3. What are Americans encouraged to do against the Soviet fallout?
4. James recalls that by 1993, he no longer fears nuclear war. Why?
5. How does Joe feel about leaving the seminary?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Joseph's and Mary's roles in their family?
2. What is Elvis' significance in this story?
3. How is James' friendship with Patrick Hughes significant?
4. What is known about Francis Cardinal Spellman?
5. Why is FDR an admired president?
6. How does Joseph's family realize without a doubt that he is suffering from Alzheimer's.
7. Describe James' second revolution.
8. Why does James have a hard time promising to obey and respect Cardinal Cooke and his successors?
9. What is the General's opinion of Martin Luther King, Jr.?
10. Why does the President begin to reject escalation of the war and refuse any use of nuclear weapons?
Essay Topic 1
The Paulist Fathers are a unique American order of priests.
Part 1) Who are the Paulist Fathers?
Part 2) How are they unique?
Part 3) Why are they charged with crimes against the church?
Essay Topic 2
A local Catholic priest will not bury Tate's son, Michael.
Part 1) Why will he not bury the child?
Part 2) How does this follow the Catholic church, as described in this book?
Part 3) Do you feel the priest made a good decision? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
James' and his father's differing opinions permanently affect their relationship.
Part 1) How is their relationship when James is young?
Part 2) What causes the rift in their relationship?
Part 3) Why are they unable to heal their relationship?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)