|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The rank General Carroll achieves allows his family to have friendships among what group of people?
2. What are Americans encouraged to do against the Soviet fallout?
3. What has made FDR paralyzed from the waist down?
4. Where does Joe attend six years of night school?
5. Silence during their ride home does what between James and his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the Carroll family's experience in Washington, D.C.?
2. What is Elvis' significance in this story?
3. What is known about Francis Cardinal Spellman?
4. What government position does Joe Carroll have in Europe?
5. What does the B-52 Bomber symbolize to James?
6. What are Joseph's and Mary's roles in their family?
7. How does the celebration begin?
8. Why is the General in a somber mood on the drive home with his son?
9. How does James, the anti-war priest from a military family feel giving his first sermon?
10. What does James realize about his desire to enter the seminary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James is both priest and poet.
Part 1) How does he come to be both?
Part 2) How does he struggle with these two callings?
Part 3) At the end of the book, is he a priest, poet, or both? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Allen Tate plays an important role in the development of James Carroll.
Part 1) Who is Allen Tate?
Part 2) How does James first come into contact with Tate?
Part 3) What does James learn about himself through Tate's comments?
Essay Topic 3
James sees his life following two possible tracks.
Part 1) What are the two tracks?
Part 2) Which track does he pick? Why does he pick it?
Part 3) How does this choice affect the rest of his life?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)