|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years later does James break his vow and leave the priesthood?
2. How does James perceive the Carroll family's time in Germany?
3. The author reflects on perceptions that he and his father give up worlds they love. Why?
4. What is one reason why James receives the ROTC award?
5. In what are both James and his father entwined?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Roosevelt's inauguration differ from past presidential inaugurations?
2. Upon what does James reflect at the end of the chapter, regarding B-52s and nuclear war?
3. How does James, the anti-war priest from a military family feel giving his first sermon?
4. How does James honor his father in this chapter?
5. How does James change from his pro-war attitude?
6. How do Joseph and Mary react to Joe junior's contraction of polio?
7. How does Roger Touhy who is a Chicago bank robber, kidnapper and killer that have a significant impact on James' father's career?
8. What do Joe and Mary do for their Chicago guests and relatives from Chicago?
9. Why is the General in a somber mood on the drive home with his son?
10. What is Elvis' significance in this story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James' and his father's differing opinions permanently affect their relationship.
Part 1) How is their relationship when James is young?
Part 2) What causes the rift in their relationship?
Part 3) Why are they unable to heal their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Walter Cronkite declares the war will end in stalemate.
Part 1) What does the President learn from this message?
Part 2) What does the President do because of this message?
Part 3) What does this show about the power of the civilian population?
Essay Topic 3
A local Catholic priest will not bury Tate's son, Michael.
Part 1) Why will he not bury the child?
Part 2) How does this follow the Catholic church, as described in this book?
Part 3) Do you feel the priest made a good decision? Why or why not?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)