|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Joe's childhood compare to the social standing he later achieves?
2. Joe and Mary Carroll have how many brothers and sisters?
3. Joe, now General Carroll, is serving in what position?
4. Who prophecies a valley full of vast quantities of dry bones?
5. In November 1965, who sets himself on fire at the Pentagon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Elvis' significance in this story?
2. How does James change from his pro-war attitude?
3. How does Joe become a part of Kelly's political hypocrisy?
4. How does James perceive his family's time in Germany?
5. How do Joseph and Mary react to Joe junior's contraction of polio?
6. Why does Joe feel like a disgrace for leaving the seminary?
7. How does James, the anti-war priest from a military family feel giving his first sermon?
8. What are Joseph's and Mary's roles in their family?
9. What does General Carroll share with his son regarding war?
10. How does James' antiwar stance affect his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The government attempts to destroy Martin Luther King, Jr.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) How?
Part 3) Are they successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
James sees his life following two possible tracks.
Part 1) What are the two tracks?
Part 2) Which track does he pick? Why does he pick it?
Part 3) How does this choice affect the rest of his life?
Essay Topic 3
The B-52 Bomber is an important symbol in this book.
Part 1) What is a B-52 Bomber? What is its purpose?
Part 2) How is the B-52 Bomber significant in this book?
Part 3) How does the B-52 Bomber symbolize James' opinion of war and the military?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)