|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. James is in college now and working as what for the summer?
2. In his year at Georgetown University what is the author named?
3. Why does James feel as if he knows the Pope?
4. Who is founding director of the Defense Intelligence Agency in charge of enemy counts and evaluating targets in Vietnam?
5. How does Edward J. Kelly, Chicago's mayor and head of the Democratic Party, bring in millions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Joe and Mary do for their Chicago guests and relatives from Chicago?
2. How does James perceive his family's time in Germany?
3. Upon what does James reflect at the end of the chapter, regarding B-52s and nuclear war?
4. How do Joseph and Mary react to Joe junior's contraction of polio?
5. How does the celebration begin?
6. How does Roosevelt's inauguration differ from past presidential inaugurations?
7. Who is in attendance for his first mass and sermon?
8. What is Joe's attitude about human nature?
9. Why is the General in a somber mood on the drive home with his son?
10. What is Elvis' significance in this story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book James' opinion of the military, the government, and war change drastically.
Part 1) What does James think of these as a child? Why?
Part 2) How does his opinion change over time? Why?
Part 3) How do his actions match his change in opinion?
Essay Topic 2
When given a crayon, Joseph, in the depths of his Alzheimer's, writes his wife's name repeatedly.
Part 1) Why do you think he does this?
Part 2) What does this say about his choice to leave the seminary and wed Mary?
Part 3) How might this make Mary feel? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Joseph believes the "spoiled priest" curse is passed from him to his son.
Part 1) How does Joseph act that supports this statement?
Part 2) Why has Joseph not been able to escape this curse?
Part 3) How does his belief in this curse further push his son, James, away from him?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)