|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Irish Chicago of that day, what does a refusal to become a priest after twelve years of seminary make Joe Carroll?
2. After receiving his award at Georgetown University, what does the author receive?
3. Who is founding director of the Defense Intelligence Agency in charge of enemy counts and evaluating targets in Vietnam?
4. What do the Catholics call the Chapel?
5. Joe, now General Carroll, is serving in what position?
Short Essay Questions
1. Upon what does James Carroll reflect?
2. Why is the General in a somber mood on the drive home with his son?
3. Why is FDR an admired president?
4. How does James, the anti-war priest from a military family feel giving his first sermon?
5. How does James perceive his family's time in Germany?
6. How does James' antiwar stance affect his father?
7. What do Joe and Mary do for their Chicago guests and relatives from Chicago?
8. How does James honor his father in this chapter?
9. Why does Joe feel like a disgrace for leaving the seminary?
10. How does James change from his pro-war attitude?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joseph Carroll is successful in his roles in the government.
Part 1) What government positions does he hold?
Part 2) How and why is he successful?
Part 3) How does the government benefit from Joseph Carroll?
Essay Topic 2
Joe feels like a disgrace for leaving the seminary.
Part 1) Why does he leave the seminary?
Part 2) Why does he feel guilty for leaving? What curse manifests from his leaving the seminary?
Part 3) How does his disgrace linger for the rest of the life?
Essay Topic 3
Cardinal Cooke asks candidates to promise to obey and respect him and his successors as he enfolds their hands.
Part 1) Why does James have a hard time accepting this?
Part 2) How does this keep power out of the hands of individual priests?
Part 3) Imagine how you would feel in his position. How would you have handled this situation?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)