|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the Chapel located?
2. Who believes human nature is incapable of good?
3. What does James believe the B-52's utility and longevity discourage?
4. After receiving his award at Georgetown University, what does the author receive?
5. Of what is this sexual image the opposite in James' life?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do 1950s Americans perceive Pope Pius XII?
2. How does James honor his father in this chapter?
3. What is Elvis' significance in this story?
4. How does James' antiwar stance affect his father?
5. How does Joe become a part of Kelly's political hypocrisy?
6. Why is FDR an admired president?
7. What is Joe's attitude about human nature?
8. What do Joe and Mary do for their Chicago guests and relatives from Chicago?
9. Why is the General in a somber mood on the drive home with his son?
10. How does Joe Carroll catch Roger Touhy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joseph believes the "spoiled priest" curse is passed from him to his son.
Part 1) How does Joseph act that supports this statement?
Part 2) Why has Joseph not been able to escape this curse?
Part 3) How does his belief in this curse further push his son, James, away from him?
Essay Topic 2
James goes through three revolutions of change.
Part 1) What are the three revolutions?
Part 2) Give examples from the text that show these revolutions.
Part 3) How do these revolutions influence him later in life?
Essay Topic 3
James is both priest and poet.
Part 1) How does he come to be both?
Part 2) How does he struggle with these two callings?
Part 3) At the end of the book, is he a priest, poet, or both? Explain.
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)