|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Joe feel about leaving the seminary?
2. In 1959, why does the Pope convene an Ecumenical Council?
3. What belief does the General share with his son?
4. What does he instruct James to do?
5. Where is the Chapel located?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is FDR an admired president?
2. How does Roger Touhy who is a Chicago bank robber, kidnapper and killer that have a significant impact on James' father's career?
3. How does James change from his pro-war attitude?
4. What do Joe and Mary do for their Chicago guests and relatives from Chicago?
5. How do Joseph and Mary react to Joe junior's contraction of polio?
6. How does the celebration begin?
7. What government position does Joe Carroll have in Europe?
8. How does Roosevelt's inauguration differ from past presidential inaugurations?
9. How do 1950s Americans perceive Pope Pius XII?
10. How does James perceive his family's time in Germany?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James sees his life following two possible tracks.
Part 1) What are the two tracks?
Part 2) Which track does he pick? Why does he pick it?
Part 3) How does this choice affect the rest of his life?
Essay Topic 2
Joe feels like a disgrace for leaving the seminary.
Part 1) Why does he leave the seminary?
Part 2) Why does he feel guilty for leaving? What curse manifests from his leaving the seminary?
Part 3) How does his disgrace linger for the rest of the life?
Essay Topic 3
Pope Paul VI shocks many in government positions and is one of many who protest the Vietnam War.
Part 1) How does Pope Paul VI shock those in government?
Part 2) How do others react to what the Pope preaches?
Part 3) What other people promote peace?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)