|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Cardinal Spellman meet in 1950?
(a) The Pope.
(b) President Johnson.
(c) Ngo Dinh Diem.
(d) Secretary of Defense McNamara.
2. These priests focus on a defensive Catholic Church and a hostile American culture.
(a) Benedictine Fathers.
(b) Paulist Fathers.
(c) Markist Fathers.
(d) Franciscan Fathers.
3. For what are students at this university notorious?
(a) Being pro-war.
(b) Being insubordinate.
(c) Being anti-war.
(d) Being violent.
4. Where is no one allowed to truly speak his mind?
(a) At the Carrolls'.
(b) In the Air Force.
(c) In the FBI.
(d) In the government.
5. Who is the host in place of Dick Cavett?
(a) Johnny Carson.
(b) Jack Black.
(c) Jack Klugman.
(d) David Letterman.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Kennedy is assassinated, what does Johnson take over?
2. James is a boy in southern Alexandria and raised in what traditions?
3. James is ordained in 1969, and assigned to the campus ministry at what university?
4. Why does Father James spend the summer on retreat in the Holy Land?
5. How is Dan Berrigan's hiding place found?
Short Essay Questions
1. General Carroll's DIA offers up analysis that the bombing is having no effect on Hanoi's ability to wage war. How do the Joint Chiefs respond?
2. Describe James' second revolution.
3. Why is General Carroll successful in his government position?
4. What is James' opinion of segregation and white supremacy as a child?
5. How is James' friendship with Patrick Hughes significant?
6. Why does James feel out of place among the working-class Irish novices?
7. How is Boston University a good fit for Father Carroll?
8. Why does the President begin to reject escalation of the war and refuse any use of nuclear weapons?
9. General Carroll is chairman of a Washington dinner to honor Hoover. He asks Father James to offer the benediction. How does Father James react?
10. How does Martin Luther King, Jr. react when John F. Kennedy tells him Levison, King's adviser, is a one-time Communist Party official with ties to Moscow that risk civil-rights legislation in Congress?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)