|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what are students at this university notorious?
(a) Being pro-war.
(b) Being insubordinate.
(c) Being violent.
(d) Being anti-war.
2. Why does James keep secret that he met and was kissed by Pope John XXIII?
(a) He does not think anyone would believe him.
(b) He is shy.
(c) He feels guilty about advantages he receives.
(d) No one is allowed to know.
3. To what is the author resistant?
(a) The military.
(d) His father.
4. What is this ceremony for his mother?
(a) Her first.
(b) A tradition in her family.
(c) A dream come true.
(d) A fearful one.
5. These priests focus on a defensive Catholic Church and a hostile American culture.
(a) Benedictine Fathers.
(b) Paulist Fathers.
(c) Markist Fathers.
(d) Franciscan Fathers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joseph ask of his son at Christmas dinner, 1965?
2. Who is excommunicated?
3. Who becomes to James, for the first time, a man with whom he can identify?
4. What convinces James to be Patrick Hughes' friend?
5. How does James read the Bible for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is James' friendship with Patrick Hughes significant?
2. What is James' opinion of segregation and white supremacy as a child?
3. Why is General Carroll successful in his government position?
4. What is the tone difference between Robert F. Kennedy and J. Edgar Hoover?
5. Father James continues to have struggles with his vocation and decides to spend the summer on retreat in the Holy Land to reconsider his vocation. How does this trip help him make a decision about being a priest?
6. General Carroll's DIA offers up analysis that the bombing is having no effect on Hanoi's ability to wage war. How do the Joint Chiefs respond?
7. Why does the President begin to reject escalation of the war and refuse any use of nuclear weapons?
8. Describe James' second revolution.
9. Why does James feel out of place among the working-class Irish novices?
10. Why can Michael not be buried by a Catholic priest?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)