|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. James recalls when he and his fellow candidates lie prostrate on the cold stone floor of St. Paul the Apostle Church. What ceremony is this?
(a) Reformation Sunday.
(b) The Holy Eucharist.
(c) The Passover ceremony.
(d) The ordination ceremony.
2. Daniel Berrigan becomes a national hero. What is Spellman forced to do?
(a) Honor him with a parade.
(b) Retrieve Berrigan from exile.
(c) Banish Berrigan from New York.
(d) Find a parish for him.
3. What does James intern as in Atlanta?
(a) An Air Force cadet.
(b) A therapist.
(c) A lay assistant.
(d) A pastoral counselor.
4. James feels his life ends when he enters seminary and that as a child he first hears the word as what?
5. James is ordained in 1969, and assigned to the campus ministry at what university?
(a) Northwestern University.
(b) The University of Virginia.
(c) New York University.
(d) Boston University.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does James organize a citizens' tribunal to indict J. Edgar Hoover?
2. What does the General call Martin Luther King?
3. What does James' mother refuse to recognize about the war?
4. Despite years of religious training as an altar boy, catechism and religion classes, how is James regarding the Bible and theology?
5. Why will a local Catholic priest not bury Tate's son, Michael?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Father Daniel Berrigan protest the war?
2. Ritual requires a newly-ordained priest perform his first priestly blessing on his parents. How do his parents react?
3. What does the FBI do to Martin Luther King, Jr.?
4. His Holiness addresses the United Nations for its twentieth-year celebration.
5. How is James' friendship with Patrick Hughes significant?
6. What is James' opinion of segregation and white supremacy as a child?
7. What leads to General Carroll's feelings towards Martin Luther King, Jr.?
8. What discussions are held at the Carroll dinner table?
9. How is Boston University a good fit for Father Carroll?
10. How is the author resistant to authority?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)