|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. God, government, and what else keep James in conflict?
(d) His calling.
2. To what does the author flash back?
(a) His childhood riding in an automobile with his father.
(b) His recent experience with Allen Tate in Tennessee.
(c) His years in Germany.
(d) His high school girlfriend.
3. What does Carroll's DIA report show?
(a) The air campaign is working.
(b) The air campaign has already worked.
(c) The air campaign is not working.
(d) The air campaign might work.
4. Who becomes famous for leaking the Pentagon Papers?
(a) J. Edgar Hoover.
(b) Cardinal Spellman.
(c) James Carroll.
(d) Daniel Ellsberg.
5. James reads an account of his father's conspiracy to destroy whom?
(a) The Pope.
(b) The Catholic Church of America.
(c) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(d) The Democratic Party.
Short Answer Questions
1. James recalls when he and his fellow candidates lie prostrate on the cold stone floor of St. Paul the Apostle Church. What ceremony is this?
2. Who is the FBI resolved to bring down?
3. What begins James' breakdown in shared understanding with his father?
4. What happens to James when he raises the Confederate flag to celebrate Robert E. Lee's birthday in the Washington Benedictine prep school?
5. On what does James learn Catholic beliefs in scripture, events and characters are based?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does James feel about his calling as both priest and poet?
2. How does the text show James is beginning to agree with his friends and associates who think he can follow Patrick's example of self-confidence and risk-taking by skating on his own thin ice?
3. What is the tone difference between Robert F. Kennedy and J. Edgar Hoover?
4. How is the author resistant to authority?
5. Describe James' second revolution.
6. What does the FBI do to Martin Luther King, Jr.?
7. Who are the Paulist Fathers?
8. Why does James have a hard time promising to obey and respect Cardinal Cooke and his successors?
9. What is James' opinion of segregation and white supremacy as a child?
10. What discussions are held at the Carroll dinner table?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)