|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what does James learn Catholic beliefs in scripture, events and characters are based?
(a) The ocult.
(b) Divine intervention, not myth and fiction.
(c) The Holy Trinity.
(d) Myth and fiction, not divine intervention.
2. God, government, and what else keep James in conflict?
(b) His calling.
3. What does Mary Carroll remind her son about Cardinal Spellman?
(a) He is not favored by the Pope.
(b) He is looking forward to ordaining James.
(c) He is looking for a golf caddy.
(d) He is a good friend.
4. James' appointment with Tate is interrupted by what personal tragedy the night before?
(a) One of Tate's newborn twins dies.
(b) His brother has been caught leaving the country and the draft.
(c) The country has gone to war.
(d) James' father dies.
5. Who becomes famous for leaking the Pentagon Papers?
(a) James Carroll.
(b) Cardinal Spellman.
(c) J. Edgar Hoover.
(d) Daniel Ellsberg.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Dan Berrigan's hiding place found?
2. Whose point of view does James present on the Cavett Show?
3. What bill does President Johnson propose? He ends his speech with "we shall overcome" and becomes an ally of King's.
4. Who becomes to James, for the first time, a man with whom he can identify?
5. These priests focus on a defensive Catholic Church and a hostile American culture.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can Michael not be buried by a Catholic priest?
2. Ritual requires a newly-ordained priest perform his first priestly blessing on his parents. How do his parents react?
3. How does Martin Luther King, Jr. react when John F. Kennedy tells him Levison, King's adviser, is a one-time Communist Party official with ties to Moscow that risk civil-rights legislation in Congress?
4. What discussions are held at the Carroll dinner table?
5. How does James feel about his calling as both priest and poet?
6. How does the text show James is beginning to agree with his friends and associates who think he can follow Patrick's example of self-confidence and risk-taking by skating on his own thin ice?
7. Why does the President begin to reject escalation of the war and refuse any use of nuclear weapons?
8. General Carroll's DIA offers up analysis that the bombing is having no effect on Hanoi's ability to wage war. How do the Joint Chiefs respond?
9. Why does James feel out of place among the working-class Irish novices?
10. How is Father Daniel Berrigan caught?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)