|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joe Carroll do as James blesses him and lays hands on his head?
(a) He sits silently.
(b) He is filled with the Holy Spirit.
(c) He convulses and silently sobs.
(d) He prays.
2. James' appointment with Tate is interrupted by what personal tragedy the night before?
(a) The country has gone to war.
(b) James' father dies.
(c) His brother has been caught leaving the country and the draft.
(d) One of Tate's newborn twins dies.
3. Robert Kennedy encourages James saying priests are needed in the streets. Who is already in the streets?
(a) The devil.
(b) The ministers.
(c) The people.
(d) The politicians.
4. What does Joseph ask of his son at Christmas dinner, 1965?
(a) To leave the priesthood.
(b) He asks his son to say grace for the first time.
(c) To support his views.
(d) To be the priest at his younger brother's wedding.
5. Who does Cardinal Spellman meet in 1950?
(a) Secretary of Defense McNamara.
(b) The Pope.
(c) Ngo Dinh Diem.
(d) President Johnson.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Dan Berrigan's hiding place found?
2. How does the General refer to war protesters?
3. What is not James' belief but simply taken for granted as the way things are?
4. Why does Robert Kennedy send federal marshals instead of FBI agents to protect James Meredith at Ole Miss?
5. Who is delighted to be a personal guest of Cardinal Spellman's and helps welcome the Pope?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the author resistant to authority?
2. Why can Michael not be buried by a Catholic priest?
3. What is the tone difference between Robert F. Kennedy and J. Edgar Hoover?
4. What discussions are held at the Carroll dinner table?
5. Why does James have a hard time promising to obey and respect Cardinal Cooke and his successors?
6. What is James' opinion of segregation and white supremacy as a child?
7. His Holiness addresses the United Nations for its twentieth-year celebration.
8. What leads to General Carroll's feelings towards Martin Luther King, Jr.?
9. How does Martin Luther King, Jr. react when John F. Kennedy tells him Levison, King's adviser, is a one-time Communist Party official with ties to Moscow that risk civil-rights legislation in Congress?
10. How does Father Daniel Berrigan protest the war?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)