|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. God, government, and what else keep James in conflict?
(a) His calling.
2. What does the General call Martin Luther King?
(a) A leader of the free.
(b) A great man.
(c) A religious role model.
(d) The most notorious liar in America.
3. James feels his life ends when he enters seminary and that as a child he first hears the word as what?
4. How does James read the Bible for the first time?
(a) As a living thing.
(b) Using the Hebrew Bible.
(c) Very slowly.
(d) Starting with the New Testament.
5. James' appointment with Tate is interrupted by what personal tragedy the night before?
(a) The country has gone to war.
(b) One of Tate's newborn twins dies.
(c) James' father dies.
(d) His brother has been caught leaving the country and the draft.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does James' mother refuse to recognize about the war?
2. Why do countless Air Force chaplains attend in full dress?
3. Why does Father James spend the summer on retreat in the Holy Land?
4. The Pope's speech ends in French. What does it translate to in English?
5. King is wiretapped, and what does his sexual behavior replace as an issue?
Short Essay Questions
1. General Carroll is chairman of a Washington dinner to honor Hoover. He asks Father James to offer the benediction. How does Father James react?
2. How is Boston University a good fit for Father Carroll?
3. Why does James have a hard time promising to obey and respect Cardinal Cooke and his successors?
4. What leads to General Carroll's feelings towards Martin Luther King, Jr.?
5. How is Father Daniel Berrigan caught?
6. Ritual requires a newly-ordained priest perform his first priestly blessing on his parents. How do his parents react?
7. Why does the President begin to reject escalation of the war and refuse any use of nuclear weapons?
8. What is the tone difference between Robert F. Kennedy and J. Edgar Hoover?
9. How does Father Daniel Berrigan protest the war?
10. What is the General's opinion of Martin Luther King, Jr.?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)