|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. James recalls when he and his fellow candidates lie prostrate on the cold stone floor of St. Paul the Apostle Church. What ceremony is this?
(a) The Passover ceremony.
(b) Reformation Sunday.
(c) The ordination ceremony.
(d) The Holy Eucharist.
2. How does James thank "Mr. Johnson" for ending the war?
(a) During a meal at the White House.
(b) He writes a personal letter.
(c) In person.
(d) On the telephone.
3. James is ordained in 1969, and assigned to the campus ministry at what university?
(a) Northwestern University.
(b) New York University.
(c) Boston University.
(d) The University of Virginia.
4. What does Carroll's DIA report show?
(a) The air campaign has already worked.
(b) The air campaign is not working.
(c) The air campaign is working.
(d) The air campaign might work.
5. What does Joe Carroll do as James blesses him and lays hands on his head?
(a) He is filled with the Holy Spirit.
(b) He convulses and silently sobs.
(c) He prays.
(d) He sits silently.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the FBI resolved to bring down?
2. What do President Johnson and Secretary of Defense McNamara not know about Spellman?
3. James sees King once in person, and what is his opinion of King?
4. For what are students at this university notorious?
5. What is not James' belief but simply taken for granted as the way things are?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the FBI do to Martin Luther King, Jr.?
2. His Holiness addresses the United Nations for its twentieth-year celebration.
3. Why can Michael not be buried by a Catholic priest?
4. Why does James feel out of place among the working-class Irish novices?
5. What is the tone difference between Robert F. Kennedy and J. Edgar Hoover?
6. General Carroll is chairman of a Washington dinner to honor Hoover. He asks Father James to offer the benediction. How does Father James react?
7. What is James' opinion of segregation and white supremacy as a child?
8. How does Father Daniel Berrigan protest the war?
9. How is Boston University a good fit for Father Carroll?
10. What discussions are held at the Carroll dinner table?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)