|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many generals attend the reception following at the Officers' Club?
(a) Only one.
(b) Two hundred.
(d) One hundred.
2. After receiving his award at Georgetown University, what does the author receive?
(a) A silver-plated model aircraft carrier.
(b) A platinum model tank.
(c) A gold-plated model fighter jet.
(d) A stainless-steel model B-52 bomber.
3. Who believes human nature is incapable of good?
(a) A Scottish Methodist.
(b) An Irish Jansenist.
(c) A French Boiserrie.
(d) An English Transcendentalist.
4. What Chicago bank robber, kidnapper and killer has a significant impact on James' father's career?
(a) Roger Touhy.
(b) Richard Thomas.
(c) Ruben Toulouse.
(d) Robert Tolliver.
5. Where does the author's mother take him as a two-year-old along with his four-year-old brother, Joe?
(a) To Chicago to visit relatives.
(b) To New York City.
(c) FDR's presidential inauguration.
(d) To Disney World.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Joe attend six years of night school?
2. What proposes using bomb shelters after a U.S. first strike?
3. What does Joe stay in for twenty-five years rather than the six months originally expected?
4. What is one reason why James receives the ROTC award?
5. Joe and Mary Carroll have how many brothers and sisters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is FDR an admired president?
2. How does the celebration begin?
3. What does General Carroll share with his son regarding war?
4. How does James, the anti-war priest from a military family feel giving his first sermon?
5. How does James' antiwar stance affect his father?
6. How does Roger Touhy who is a Chicago bank robber, kidnapper and killer that have a significant impact on James' father's career?
7. Why is the General in a somber mood on the drive home with his son?
8. What government position does Joe Carroll have in Europe?
9. What is known about Francis Cardinal Spellman?
10. How do Joseph and Mary react to Joe junior's contraction of polio?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)