|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens as James and his father are golfing on the base golf course in Puerto Rico?
(a) James tells his father he is marrying Lexa.
(b) The U.S. begins the Vietnam War.
(c) A fleet of B-52 bombers lands.
(d) James tells his father he is joining the priesthood.
2. What is Father James Carroll celebrating?
(a) His first mass and giving his first sermon.
(b) A baptism.
(c) The birth of his daughter.
3. What are Americans encouraged to do against the Soviet fallout?
(a) Buy gas masks.
(b) Prepare to attack.
(c) Take vitamins.
(d) Build bomb shelters.
4. How does James get to know Monsignor Chess?
(a) He is the priest at James' church.
(b) James caddies for him and his father.
(c) James' works for him in the rectory.
(d) He teaches at James' school.
5. What is one reason why James receives the ROTC award?
(a) No one else deserves the award.
(b) He bribes the Commander.
(c) He is a good pilot.
(d) He wears his father's shoes shined by the General's orderlies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe junior undergo a dozen of over the next fifteen years?
2. What does being a priest preaching his first sermon make apparent about James?
3. How does Joe's childhood compare to the social standing he later achieves?
4. Joe, now General Carroll, is serving in what position?
5. No longer Father James, a priest, what is James Carroll?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does James realize about his desire to enter the seminary?
2. How does James change from his pro-war attitude?
3. How is the Carroll family's experience in Washington, D.C.?
4. What is Elvis' significance in this story?
5. What is Joe's attitude about human nature?
6. Why is FDR an admired president?
7. What government position does Joe Carroll have in Europe?
8. Upon what does James reflect at the end of the chapter, regarding B-52s and nuclear war?
9. What does the B-52 Bomber symbolize to James?
10. How does Roger Touhy who is a Chicago bank robber, kidnapper and killer that have a significant impact on James' father's career?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)