|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Father James Carroll celebrating?
(b) A baptism.
(c) His first mass and giving his first sermon.
(d) The birth of his daughter.
2. Where does Joe Carroll work to support his family?
(a) In a bar.
(b) For the Chicago Tribune.
(c) In a bank.
(d) In the Chicago stockyards.
3. Where does the author secretly throw his Georgetown University prize?
(a) In the woods behind the seminary.
(b) In the Potomac.
(c) In the Atlantic ocean.
(d) Into the swamp behind the seminary.
4. What does James learn about religious faith?
(a) It brings families together.
(b) It is healing.
(c) It helps one understand life.
(d) It involves suffering and unhappiness.
5. What type of student is James in high school?
(a) A musician.
(b) An "A" student.
(c) A member of Glee Club.
(d) A "C" student.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what is this sexual image the opposite in James' life?
2. What does Joseph believe his own pride causes?
3. Who reflects a new image of priests than James and his mother remember?
4. In Irish Chicago of that day, what does a refusal to become a priest after twelve years of seminary make Joe Carroll?
5. What is outlined in this chapter of background history?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the celebration begin?
2. Upon what does James reflect at the end of the chapter, regarding B-52s and nuclear war?
3. How do 1950s Americans perceive Pope Pius XII?
4. What does James realize about his desire to enter the seminary?
5. What do Joe and Mary do for their Chicago guests and relatives from Chicago?
6. Upon what does James Carroll reflect?
7. Who is in attendance for his first mass and sermon?
8. What are some of the discussions about use of nuclear weapons in preemptive strikes on China and the Soviet Union that James remembers?
9. What does the B-52 Bomber symbolize to James?
10. How is the Carroll family's experience in Washington, D.C.?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)