|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the author's mother take him as a two-year-old along with his four-year-old brother, Joe?
(a) To New York City.
(b) To Disney World.
(c) To Chicago to visit relatives.
(d) FDR's presidential inauguration.
2. James recalls that by 1993, he no longer fears nuclear war. Why?
(a) No other nation has nuclear war capabilities.
(b) The 1960's war-mongers are held off in part by his father's efforts.
(c) The U.S. has destroyed all of its nuclear weapons.
(d) He has built a fallout shelter.
3. Who does James believe as a young boy to be virtuous?
(a) His mother.
(b) The Pope.
(d) His father.
4. Where does the author secretly throw his Georgetown University prize?
(a) In the Potomac.
(b) In the Atlantic ocean.
(c) In the woods behind the seminary.
(d) Into the swamp behind the seminary.
5. What does Joe stay in for twenty-five years rather than the six months originally expected?
(a) The Navy.
(b) The Secret Service.
(c) The Air Force.
(d) The FBI.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joe, now General Carroll, is serving in what position?
2. Joe junior is struck with what illness?
3. In Irish Chicago of that day, what does a refusal to become a priest after twelve years of seminary make Joe Carroll?
4. In 1959, why does the Pope convene an Ecumenical Council?
5. Who does James feel shame to admit is his childhood neighbor on Generals' Row?
Short Essay Questions
1. Upon what does James Carroll reflect?
2. How does Roger Touhy who is a Chicago bank robber, kidnapper and killer that have a significant impact on James' father's career?
3. What are Joseph's and Mary's roles in their family?
4. What does the B-52 Bomber symbolize to James?
5. Why is the General in a somber mood on the drive home with his son?
6. How does James change from his pro-war attitude?
7. What are the two tracks James sees in his life in Wiesbaden?
8. How is the Carroll family's experience in Washington, D.C.?
9. What is Joe's attitude about human nature?
10. What does General Carroll share with his son regarding war?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)