|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is James, Joe and Mary's second son, born?
(c) Oxygen-deprived and in danger of dying but survives.
2. What happens as James and his father are golfing on the base golf course in Puerto Rico?
(a) A fleet of B-52 bombers lands.
(b) James tells his father he is joining the priesthood.
(c) The U.S. begins the Vietnam War.
(d) James tells his father he is marrying Lexa.
3. Why does James feel as if he knows the Pope?
(a) He has met him several times.
(b) He hears about him every day at school.
(c) He sees the Pope's picture everywhere.
(d) He sees him on television.
4. What Chicago bank robber, kidnapper and killer has a significant impact on James' father's career?
(a) Richard Thomas.
(b) Roger Touhy.
(c) Ruben Toulouse.
(d) Robert Tolliver.
5. What does he instruct James to do?
(a) Drive his mother and brothers south to Richmond.
(b) Join the FBI.
(c) Become a priest.
(d) Move back to Chicago.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has made FDR paralyzed from the waist down?
2. In what are both James and his father entwined?
3. Who prophecies a valley full of vast quantities of dry bones?
4. In November 1965, who sets himself on fire at the Pentagon?
5. How is Joe's father, "Dike" Carroll, occasionally employed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Joe feel like a disgrace for leaving the seminary?
2. General Carroll's DIA offers up analysis that the bombing is having no effect on Hanoi's ability to wage war. How do the Joint Chiefs respond?
3. Who is in attendance for his first mass and sermon?
4. How is the Carroll family's experience in Washington, D.C.?
5. Why does James feel out of place among the working-class Irish novices?
6. How does James perceive his family's time in Germany?
7. Why does the President begin to reject escalation of the war and refuse any use of nuclear weapons?
8. Describe James' second revolution.
9. Why is General Carroll successful in his government position?
10. His Holiness addresses the United Nations for its twentieth-year celebration.
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)