|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of student is James in high school?
(a) A member of Glee Club.
(b) A musician.
(c) An "A" student.
(d) A "C" student.
2. Joe, now General Carroll, is serving in what position?
(a) Chief of staff of the Navy in Europe.
(b) Chief of Staff of the Air Force in Europe.
(c) Major General of the Air Force in Europe.
(d) Major General of the Air Force in Europe.
3. What does being a priest preaching his first sermon make apparent about James?
(a) His power.
(b) His fear.
(c) His love of his country.
(d) His cowardice.
4. How does Edward J. Kelly, Chicago's mayor and head of the Democratic Party, bring in millions?
(a) Through illegal gambling and other vices run out of city hall, police stations and ward offices.
(b) He invents the automatic voting machine.
(c) He works as a philanthropist.
(d) He employs many to help raise funds.
5. He finishes preaching his first sermon by reaffirming General Lemay's SAC motto. What is that motto?
(a) "Military is mighty."
(b) "Peace is our profession."
(c) "Et tu Brute."
(d) "War is our craft."
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years later does James break his vow and leave the priesthood?
2. What does he instruct James to do?
3. Who reflects a new image of priests than James and his mother remember?
4. How does James get to know Monsignor Chess?
5. Who is the newly-ordained priest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Elvis' significance in this story?
2. What does the B-52 Bomber symbolize to James?
3. How does the celebration begin?
4. How does Joe become a part of Kelly's political hypocrisy?
5. What government position does Joe Carroll have in Europe?
6. What are some of the discussions about use of nuclear weapons in preemptive strikes on China and the Soviet Union that James remembers?
7. How does James perceive his family's time in Germany?
8. How does James change from his pro-war attitude?
9. What does General Carroll share with his son regarding war?
10. What are Joseph's and Mary's roles in their family?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)