|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. James and Joe junior accompany their father to what base in Puerto Rico?
(a) Ramey Air Force Base.
(b) Fort Knox.
(c) Fort Benjamin Harrison.
(d) Fort Bragg.
2. James is in college now and working as what for the summer?
(a) A football coach.
(b) An Air Force aid.
(c) An FBI cryptanalyst's aid.
(d) A pastor.
3. What are Americans encouraged to do against the Soviet fallout?
(a) Build bomb shelters.
(b) Buy gas masks.
(c) Prepare to attack.
(d) Take vitamins.
4. James recalls that by 1993, he no longer fears nuclear war. Why?
(a) The 1960's war-mongers are held off in part by his father's efforts.
(b) He has built a fallout shelter.
(c) The U.S. has destroyed all of its nuclear weapons.
(d) No other nation has nuclear war capabilities.
5. How does Joe feel about leaving the seminary?
(a) He is unsure.
(b) Like a disgrace.
(c) He is sad.
(d) He is confident.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does James learn about religious faith?
2. How many generals attend the reception following at the Officers' Club?
3. How many years later does James break his vow and leave the priesthood?
4. What does being a priest preaching his first sermon make apparent about James?
5. Who is the newly-ordained priest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Joseph's and Mary's roles in their family?
2. What is Elvis' significance in this story?
3. How is James' friendship with Patrick Hughes significant?
4. What is known about Francis Cardinal Spellman?
5. Why is FDR an admired president?
6. How does Joseph's family realize without a doubt that he is suffering from Alzheimer's.
7. Describe James' second revolution.
8. Why does James have a hard time promising to obey and respect Cardinal Cooke and his successors?
9. What is the General's opinion of Martin Luther King, Jr.?
10. Why does the President begin to reject escalation of the war and refuse any use of nuclear weapons?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)