|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Joe's father, "Dike" Carroll, occasionally employed?
(a) As a janitor in a South Side ward house.
(b) As a body guard.
(c) As a butler in a South Side ward house.
(d) As a sailor on Lake Michigan.
2. In his year at Georgetown University what is the author named?
(a) Mighty Seamen Cadet.
(b) Excellent Army Recruit.
(c) Superb Navy Cadet.
(d) Outstanding Air Force ROTC Cadet.
3. Where does Joe Carroll work to support his family?
(a) In the Chicago stockyards.
(b) For the Chicago Tribune.
(c) In a bank.
(d) In a bar.
4. How many years later does James break his vow and leave the priesthood?
(a) Two years later.
(b) Five years later.
(c) Twelve years later.
(d) Fifteen years later.
5. How does James perceive the Carroll family's time in Germany?
(d) Their best.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dream does James abandon, when he chooses to attend seminary school?
2. Father Carroll affirms whose power?
3. Joe and Jim wear Democrat campaign pins with what motto to protest Republican "I Like Ike" campaign pins?
4. In 1959, why does the Pope convene an Ecumenical Council?
5. How does James get to know Monsignor Chess?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is FDR an admired president?
2. Upon what does James reflect at the end of the chapter, regarding B-52s and nuclear war?
3. Why is General Carroll successful in his government position?
4. How does the text show James is beginning to agree with his friends and associates who think he can follow Patrick's example of self-confidence and risk-taking by skating on his own thin ice?
5. Who is in attendance for his first mass and sermon?
6. What is the tone difference between Robert F. Kennedy and J. Edgar Hoover?
7. Describe James' second revolution.
8. General Carroll's DIA offers up analysis that the bombing is having no effect on Hanoi's ability to wage war. How do the Joint Chiefs respond?
9. How is James' friendship with Patrick Hughes significant?
10. Why does Joe feel like a disgrace for leaving the seminary?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)