|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Silence during their ride home does what between James and his father?
(a) Seals the bond.
(b) Makes them uncomfortable.
(c) Leaves unanswered questions.
(d) Causes a rift between to two.
2. The author reflects on perceptions that he and his father give up worlds they love. Why?
(a) For peace.
(b) For their country.
(c) For war.
(d) For what they want.
3. In November 1965, who sets himself on fire at the Pentagon?
(a) A German soldier.
(b) A Quaker war-protester.
(c) A Neo-Nazi.
(d) A hippie from San Francisco.
4. What does Joe junior undergo a dozen of over the next fifteen years?
(a) Acupuncture appointments.
(b) Therapy sessions.
5. Who is founding director of the Defense Intelligence Agency in charge of enemy counts and evaluating targets in Vietnam?
(a) Lieutenant-General Brent Carroll.
(b) Lieutenant-General Brian Carroll.
(c) Lieutenant-General James Carroll.
(d) Lieutenant-General Joseph F. Carroll.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joseph believe his own pride causes?
2. How does Joe feel about leaving the seminary?
3. Joseph gives his family what motto?
4. How many years later does James break his vow and leave the priesthood?
5. For what does James' father never forgive himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is FDR an admired president?
2. How does James perceive his family's time in Germany?
3. How do 1950s Americans perceive Pope Pius XII?
4. Why is the General in a somber mood on the drive home with his son?
5. What does the B-52 Bomber symbolize to James?
6. How does Roosevelt's inauguration differ from past presidential inaugurations?
7. What is known about Francis Cardinal Spellman?
8. Who is in attendance for his first mass and sermon?
9. How does Roger Touhy who is a Chicago bank robber, kidnapper and killer that have a significant impact on James' father's career?
10. What are Joseph's and Mary's roles in their family?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)