|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does James get to know Monsignor Chess?
(a) James caddies for him and his father.
(b) James' works for him in the rectory.
(c) He is the priest at James' church.
(d) He teaches at James' school.
2. How does Joe feel about leaving the seminary?
(a) He is sad.
(b) He is unsure.
(c) He is confident.
(d) Like a disgrace.
3. How does Joe's childhood compare to the social standing he later achieves?
(a) Same social standing, but in a different city.
(b) It is very similar.
(c) It is somewhat different.
(d) It stands in stark contrast.
4. Why does James feel as if he knows the Pope?
(a) He sees the Pope's picture everywhere.
(b) He has met him several times.
(c) He hears about him every day at school.
(d) He sees him on television.
5. Eisenhower is the first president who wears what kind of hat?
(a) A beaver cap.
(b) A baseball cap.
(c) A top hat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joe and Mary Carroll have how many brothers and sisters?
2. What does General Carroll confide in his son?
3. What does he instruct James to do?
4. James recalls that by 1993, he no longer fears nuclear war. Why?
5. What is a highlight of James' parent's life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is in attendance for his first mass and sermon?
2. Why is FDR an admired president?
3. Upon what does James reflect at the end of the chapter, regarding B-52s and nuclear war?
4. How does Roosevelt's inauguration differ from past presidential inaugurations?
5. How does James change from his pro-war attitude?
6. How do 1950s Americans perceive Pope Pius XII?
7. What is Joe's attitude about human nature?
8. What is known about Francis Cardinal Spellman?
9. How does James honor his father in this chapter?
10. Why does Joe feel like a disgrace for leaving the seminary?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)