|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After receiving his award at Georgetown University, what does the author receive?
(a) A platinum model tank.
(b) A gold-plated model fighter jet.
(c) A silver-plated model aircraft carrier.
(d) A stainless-steel model B-52 bomber.
2. What Chicago bank robber, kidnapper and killer has a significant impact on James' father's career?
(a) Robert Tolliver.
(b) Richard Thomas.
(c) Roger Touhy.
(d) Ruben Toulouse.
3. Of whom will the General depend on James to take care?
(a) "Mom and the boys."
(b) "The Church."
(c) "The family."
(d) "Our country."
4. In what are both James and his father entwined?
(a) Lives of the military and the priesthood.
(b) Government scandal.
(c) The Air Force.
(d) The curse.
5. Of what is Joe junior a sign?
(a) God's disapproval.
(b) There is a God.
(c) Of shame.
(d) God's approval for the neighbors to see.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Touhy manhunt takes on the wartime symbolism of a hunt for who?
2. What does General Carroll confide in his son?
3. Despite the cold, James is pleased this president does not do this.
4. Where does the author secretly throw his Georgetown University prize?
5. What is Father James Carroll celebrating?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does James perceive his family's time in Germany?
2. What are the two tracks James sees in his life in Wiesbaden?
3. How does Joe become a part of Kelly's political hypocrisy?
4. What are some of the discussions about use of nuclear weapons in preemptive strikes on China and the Soviet Union that James remembers?
5. How is the Carroll family's experience in Washington, D.C.?
6. How does Roosevelt's inauguration differ from past presidential inaugurations?
7. Why does Joe feel like a disgrace for leaving the seminary?
8. What is Elvis' significance in this story?
9. How does the celebration begin?
10. Who is in attendance for his first mass and sermon?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)