|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who believes human nature is incapable of good?
(a) A Scottish Methodist.
(b) An English Transcendentalist.
(c) A French Boiserrie.
(d) An Irish Jansenist.
2. James hopes his ROTC unit is picked to march in whose parade?
3. How does Joe's childhood compare to the social standing he later achieves?
(a) It is very similar.
(b) It stands in stark contrast.
(c) It is somewhat different.
(d) Same social standing, but in a different city.
4. Despite the cold, James is pleased this president does not do this.
(a) Wear a hat.
(b) Wear a scarf.
(c) Say his speech inside.
(d) Cancel the inaugural ceremony.
5. The rank General Carroll achieves allows his family to have friendships among what group of people?
(a) The poor of citizen Catholicism.
(b) The elite of military Catholicism.
(c) The poor of military Catholocism.
(d) The elite of citizen Catholicism.
Short Answer Questions
1. He finishes preaching his first sermon by reaffirming General Lemay's SAC motto. What is that motto?
2. Where does the author secretly throw his Georgetown University prize?
3. Father Carroll affirms whose power?
4. Who does James feel shame to admit is his childhood neighbor on Generals' Row?
5. Where does James attend school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joe Carroll catch Roger Touhy?
2. What is known about Francis Cardinal Spellman?
3. How does Roger Touhy who is a Chicago bank robber, kidnapper and killer that have a significant impact on James' father's career?
4. How do 1950s Americans perceive Pope Pius XII?
5. What is Joe's attitude about human nature?
6. Why is FDR an admired president?
7. How do Joseph and Mary react to Joe junior's contraction of polio?
8. What does the B-52 Bomber symbolize to James?
9. How does James' antiwar stance affect his father?
10. How does James, the anti-war priest from a military family feel giving his first sermon?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)