|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the Chapel located?
(a) On the east side of the Potomac River.
(b) On the north side of the Potomac River.
(c) On the south side of the Potomac River.
(d) On the west side of the Potomac River.
2. In November 1965, who sets himself on fire at the Pentagon?
(a) A Neo-Nazi.
(b) A German soldier.
(c) A Quaker war-protester.
(d) A hippie from San Francisco.
3. What does General Carroll confide in his son?
(a) He does not enjoy working for the FBI.
(b) He misses Chicago.
(c) He wants to be a priest.
(d) He may not come home some night.
4. How does James get to know Monsignor Chess?
(a) He teaches at James' school.
(b) James caddies for him and his father.
(c) He is the priest at James' church.
(d) James' works for him in the rectory.
5. Silence during their ride home does what between James and his father?
(a) Makes them uncomfortable.
(b) Causes a rift between to two.
(c) Leaves unanswered questions.
(d) Seals the bond.
Short Answer Questions
1. James is in college now and working as what for the summer?
2. For what does James' father never forgive himself?
3. What does Joseph believe his own pride causes?
4. How does Edward J. Kelly, Chicago's mayor and head of the Democratic Party, bring in millions?
5. Who confirms his appreciation of Joe Carroll by assigning him to Washington as chief of kidnapping and bank robbery investigations for the entire Bureau?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the General in a somber mood on the drive home with his son?
2. How do Joseph and Mary react to Joe junior's contraction of polio?
3. How is the Carroll family's experience in Washington, D.C.?
4. Why is FDR an admired president?
5. Upon what does James Carroll reflect?
6. Who is in attendance for his first mass and sermon?
7. What is Joe's attitude about human nature?
8. How does James' antiwar stance affect his father?
9. What are some of the discussions about use of nuclear weapons in preemptive strikes on China and the Soviet Union that James remembers?
10. How does the celebration begin?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)