|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the Chapel located?
(a) On the south side of the Potomac River.
(b) On the north side of the Potomac River.
(c) On the east side of the Potomac River.
(d) On the west side of the Potomac River.
2. Where does Joe Carroll work to support his family?
(a) In the Chicago stockyards.
(b) In a bank.
(c) For the Chicago Tribune.
(d) In a bar.
3. What is outlined in this chapter of background history?
(a) Joe Carroll's childhood until his marriage.
(b) Joe Carroll's life up through the birth of Joe Carroll Jr.
(c) Joe Carroll's life up through the birth of James Carroll.
(d) Joe Carroll's childhood.
4. Who is the newly-ordained priest?
(a) The author.
(b) Joseph Carroll.
(c) Edgar Hoover.
(d) Patrick Hughes.
5. Eisenhower is the first president who wears what kind of hat?
(a) A top hat.
(b) A beaver cap.
(c) A baseball cap.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens as James and his father are golfing on the base golf course in Puerto Rico?
2. Who is a sexual image ideal for the author?
3. Who does James believe as a young boy to be virtuous?
4. What type of student is James in high school?
5. What dream does James abandon, when he chooses to attend seminary school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does General Carroll share with his son regarding war?
2. What are Joseph's and Mary's roles in their family?
3. How do 1950s Americans perceive Pope Pius XII?
4. Why is FDR an admired president?
5. What are some of the discussions about use of nuclear weapons in preemptive strikes on China and the Soviet Union that James remembers?
6. What is known about Francis Cardinal Spellman?
7. What does the B-52 Bomber symbolize to James?
8. What is Elvis' significance in this story?
9. How does James' antiwar stance affect his father?
10. How does Joe Carroll catch Roger Touhy?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)