|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does James read the Bible for the first time?
(a) Very slowly.
(b) As a living thing.
(c) Using the Hebrew Bible.
(d) Starting with the New Testament.
2. Why does James organize a citizens' tribunal to indict J. Edgar Hoover?
(a) For FBI abuses.
(b) For his assination attempt of the President.
(c) For his segregationist views.
(d) For betraying his father.
3. Senator Eugene McCarthy declares his candidacy for president on what platform?
(a) A green platform.
(b) A war platform.
(c) A segregationist platform.
(d) An anti-war platform.
4. J. Edgar Hoover persecutes King, and who does he recruit in an unsuccessful attempt to stop King from meeting the Pope?
(a) Cardinal Spellman.
(b) Father Carroll.
(c) Father Kelly.
(d) Joseph Carroll.
5. Who reminds James of Air Force chaplains?
(a) His father.
(b) The Rector at the college.
(c) The Paulist Fathers.
(d) The young Father Kelly and his open-hearted camaraderie.
6. Where is no one allowed to truly speak his mind?
(a) At the Carrolls'.
(b) In the government.
(c) In the FBI.
(d) In the Air Force.
7. What does General Carroll ask of Father James?
(a) To change his views on the war.
(b) To support his beliefs.
(c) To offer the benediction at a dinner to honor Hoover.
(d) To leave the priesthood.
8. Despite years of religious training as an altar boy, catechism and religion classes, how is James regarding the Bible and theology?
9. What convinces James to be Patrick Hughes' friend?
(a) He has no other friends.
(b) Patrick's belief in himself.
(c) Patrick does not give James the option to say no.
(d) Patrick is kind and loving.
10. What does Cardinal Spellman do to Daniel Berrigan?
(a) He honors him with a fancy dinner.
(b) He brings him back from exile.
(c) He banishes Berrigan from New York.
(d) He finds him a parish in which to reside.
11. James sees King once in person, and what is his opinion of King?
(a) King is the only public figure to which he is personally devoted.
(b) He is a liar and a coward.
(c) He can not be trusted.
(d) His father is right in believing King is void of all morals.
12. Nixon is in office and plans to do what with the Vietnam War?
(a) Ask other countries for assistance.
(b) End it.
(c) Slowly remove soldiers from Vietnam.
(d) Escalate it.
13. Why do countless Air Force chaplains attend in full dress?
(a) They have nothing else to do.
(b) James is a general's son.
(c) James is in the Air Force.
(d) They are friends with James.
14. What does the General call Martin Luther King?
(a) A religious role model.
(b) A great man.
(c) The most notorious liar in America.
(d) A leader of the free.
15. The Cardinal ritually anoints James' hands and wraps them in linen bands that are given to his mother. What power does this give James?
(a) To bless the congregation.
(b) Sacramental power to turn bread and wine into the Body and Blood of Christ.
(c) To give the sermon.
(d) To marry.
Short Answer Questions
1. James reads an account of his father's conspiracy to destroy whom?
2. By the will of whom does Diem rule Vietnam?
3. What does James intern as in Atlanta?
4. What do James and fellow novices do on the edge of a lake?
5. What do President Johnson and Secretary of Defense McNamara not know about Spellman?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)