Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joe Carroll do as James blesses him and lays hands on his head?
(a) He sits silently.
(b) He is filled with the Holy Spirit.
(c) He convulses and silently sobs.
(d) He prays.
2. For what is Selma, Alabama, in 1965, notorious?
(a) Producing politicians.
(c) A demonstration King leads for black voting rights.
3. What does Joseph ask of his son at Christmas dinner, 1965?
(a) He asks his son to say grace for the first time.
(b) To be the priest at his younger brother's wedding.
(c) To leave the priesthood.
(d) To support his views.
4. J. Edgar Hoover persecutes King, and who does he recruit in an unsuccessful attempt to stop King from meeting the Pope?
(a) Joseph Carroll.
(b) Father Carroll.
(c) Father Kelly.
(d) Cardinal Spellman.
5. What does James intern as in Atlanta?
(a) An Air Force cadet.
(b) A therapist.
(c) A lay assistant.
(d) A pastoral counselor.
6. What does James' mother refuse to recognize about the war?
(a) That her husband is against the war.
(b) The war is unjust.
(c) That is is ending.
(d) That it may embarrass James.
7. James feels his life ends when he enters seminary and that as a child he first hears the word as what?
8. Senator Eugene McCarthy declares his candidacy for president on what platform?
(a) A war platform.
(b) A green platform.
(c) An anti-war platform.
(d) A segregationist platform.
9. By the will of whom does Diem rule Vietnam?
10. Why does Robert Kennedy send federal marshals instead of FBI agents to protect James Meredith at Ole Miss?
(a) He does not trust the FBI.
(b) James Meredith is a federal marshal.
(c) He fears the FBI.
(d) The FBI is not very thorough.
11. To what does the author flash back?
(a) His recent experience with Allen Tate in Tennessee.
(b) His high school girlfriend.
(c) His years in Germany.
(d) His childhood riding in an automobile with his father.
12. Why does James organize a citizens' tribunal to indict J. Edgar Hoover?
(a) For FBI abuses.
(b) For his assination attempt of the President.
(c) For betraying his father.
(d) For his segregationist views.
13. What convinces James to be Patrick Hughes' friend?
(a) Patrick does not give James the option to say no.
(b) He has no other friends.
(c) Patrick is kind and loving.
(d) Patrick's belief in himself.
14. The Pope's speech ends in French. What does it translate to in English?
(a) God is on our side.
(b) God bless the U.S.A.
(c) We must fight God's war.
(d) War no more.
15. How does James feel at his ordination?
(a) He is happy.
(b) He is unsure.
(c) He feels betrayed.
(d) He is fearful.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary Carroll remind her son about Cardinal Spellman?
2. What does James recollect about slaves?
3. Of what does James believe Joe Carroll embodies the motto?
4. Why does James keep secret that he met and was kissed by Pope John XXIII?
5. Where is no one allowed to truly speak his mind?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)