|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. These priests focus on a defensive Catholic Church and a hostile American culture.
(a) Paulist Fathers.
(b) Markist Fathers.
(c) Franciscan Fathers.
(d) Benedictine Fathers.
2. James feels his life ends when he enters seminary and that as a child he first hears the word as what?
3. What do President Johnson and Secretary of Defense McNamara not know about Spellman?
(a) He helps instigate the war.
(b) He plays golf.
(c) He is not favored by the Pope.
(d) He will be ordaining James.
4. By the will of whom does Diem rule Vietnam?
5. On whom does ritual require a newly-ordained priest to first perform his priestly blessing?
(a) Members of the congregation.
(b) His siblings.
(c) Other priests.
(d) On his parents.
6. What is this ceremony for his mother?
(a) Her first.
(b) A tradition in her family.
(c) A fearful one.
(d) A dream come true.
7. When Kennedy is assassinated, what does Johnson take over?
(a) The administration and the war.
(b) The war.
(c) The Democratic Party.
(d) The presidency.
8. Who becomes to James, for the first time, a man with whom he can identify?
(a) His father.
(b) John the Baptist.
(d) The Pope.
9. For what are students at this university notorious?
(a) Being anti-war.
(b) Being pro-war.
(c) Being violent.
(d) Being insubordinate.
10. What does Joe Carroll do as James blesses him and lays hands on his head?
(a) He is filled with the Holy Spirit.
(b) He sits silently.
(c) He convulses and silently sobs.
(d) He prays.
11. Why do countless Air Force chaplains attend in full dress?
(a) They are friends with James.
(b) James is a general's son.
(c) They have nothing else to do.
(d) James is in the Air Force.
12. To what does the author flash back?
(a) His childhood riding in an automobile with his father.
(b) His years in Germany.
(c) His high school girlfriend.
(d) His recent experience with Allen Tate in Tennessee.
13. As what is the Catholic Student Center also known?
(a) The Newman Center.
(b) The Carroll Center.
(c) The Center for the Lord.
(d) The Center for Peace.
14. What does the General call Martin Luther King?
(a) The most notorious liar in America.
(b) A great man.
(c) A leader of the free.
(d) A religious role model.
15. How does James thank "Mr. Johnson" for ending the war?
(a) On the telephone.
(b) During a meal at the White House.
(c) In person.
(d) He writes a personal letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes famous for leaking the Pentagon Papers?
2. Robert Kennedy encourages James saying priests are needed in the streets. Who is already in the streets?
3. James is a boy in southern Alexandria and raised in what traditions?
4. For what is Selma, Alabama, in 1965, notorious?
5. Who is the FBI resolved to bring down?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)