|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary Carroll remind her son about Cardinal Spellman?
(a) He is a good friend.
(b) He is looking for a golf caddy.
(c) He is looking forward to ordaining James.
(d) He is not favored by the Pope.
2. James feels his life ends when he enters seminary and that as a child he first hears the word as what?
3. What does James' mother refuse to recognize about the war?
(a) That it may embarrass James.
(b) The war is unjust.
(c) That her husband is against the war.
(d) That is is ending.
4. Why does James organize a citizens' tribunal to indict J. Edgar Hoover?
(a) For FBI abuses.
(b) For his segregationist views.
(c) For his assination attempt of the President.
(d) For betraying his father.
5. What does the General call Martin Luther King?
(a) A great man.
(b) A leader of the free.
(c) A religious role model.
(d) The most notorious liar in America.
6. What does Carroll's DIA report show?
(a) The air campaign has already worked.
(b) The air campaign is not working.
(c) The air campaign is working.
(d) The air campaign might work.
7. By the will of whom does Diem rule Vietnam?
8. Robert Kennedy encourages James saying priests are needed in the streets. Who is already in the streets?
(a) The people.
(b) The politicians.
(c) The ministers.
(d) The devil.
9. Who is the host in place of Dick Cavett?
(a) Jack Klugman.
(b) David Letterman.
(c) Jack Black.
(d) Johnny Carson.
10. On whom does ritual require a newly-ordained priest to first perform his priestly blessing?
(a) Members of the congregation.
(b) Other priests.
(c) His siblings.
(d) On his parents.
11. To what is the author resistant?
(a) His father.
(b) The military.
12. Nixon is in office and plans to do what with the Vietnam War?
(a) Ask other countries for assistance.
(b) Escalate it.
(c) Slowly remove soldiers from Vietnam.
(d) End it.
13. James sees King once in person, and what is his opinion of King?
(a) He can not be trusted.
(b) His father is right in believing King is void of all morals.
(c) King is the only public figure to which he is personally devoted.
(d) He is a liar and a coward.
14. Who becomes famous for leaking the Pentagon Papers?
(a) Daniel Ellsberg.
(b) James Carroll.
(c) J. Edgar Hoover.
(d) Cardinal Spellman.
15. How does James feel among the working-class Irish novices?
(a) He befriends many of them.
(b) Out of place.
(c) He feels at home.
(d) He often fights them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is no one allowed to truly speak his mind?
2. These priests focus on a defensive Catholic Church and a hostile American culture.
3. Why does Robert Kennedy send federal marshals instead of FBI agents to protect James Meredith at Ole Miss?
4. The Pope's speech ends in French. What does it translate to in English?
5. What in Washington transforms James' resistance into a resolution because he is faithful to John XXIII and embodies his vision for the Church?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)