|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. James is a boy in southern Alexandria and raised in what traditions?
2. The Pope's speech ends in French. What does it translate to in English?
(a) War no more.
(b) God is on our side.
(c) We must fight God's war.
(d) God bless the U.S.A.
3. Who does His Holiness address for its twentieth-year celebration?
(a) The Paulist Fathers.
(b) The Catholic Church of America.
(c) The NAACP.
(d) The United Nations.
4. J. Edgar Hoover persecutes King, and who does he recruit in an unsuccessful attempt to stop King from meeting the Pope?
(a) Father Kelly.
(b) Joseph Carroll.
(c) Father Carroll.
(d) Cardinal Spellman.
5. Whose point of view does James present on the Cavett Show?
(a) His students'.
(b) Father Daniel Berrigan's.
(c) His own.
(d) His father's.
6. For what are students at this university notorious?
(a) Being insubordinate.
(b) Being anti-war.
(c) Being violent.
(d) Being pro-war.
7. Where is no one allowed to truly speak his mind?
(a) In the FBI.
(b) At the Carrolls'.
(c) In the Air Force.
(d) In the government.
8. James is ordained in 1969, and assigned to the campus ministry at what university?
(a) The University of Virginia.
(b) Northwestern University.
(c) Boston University.
(d) New York University.
9. King is wiretapped, and what does his sexual behavior replace as an issue?
(a) The Vietnam War.
(b) The Republican Party.
(c) Marxist thugs.
(d) Communist infiltration.
10. Who is excommunicated?
(a) Some modernists Bendictines.
(b) Some traditional Paulists.
(c) Some modernist Paulists.
(d) Some traditional Benedictines.
11. What does Joseph ask of his son at Christmas dinner, 1965?
(a) To support his views.
(b) To leave the priesthood.
(c) He asks his son to say grace for the first time.
(d) To be the priest at his younger brother's wedding.
12. By the will of whom does Diem rule Vietnam?
13. James' appointment with Tate is interrupted by what personal tragedy the night before?
(a) James' father dies.
(b) His brother has been caught leaving the country and the draft.
(c) One of Tate's newborn twins dies.
(d) The country has gone to war.
14. To what is the conflict between James and his father limited?
(a) The Air Force.
(b) The priesthood.
(c) The Vietnam War.
(d) The Civil Rights movement.
15. Who reminds James of Air Force chaplains?
(a) The Paulist Fathers.
(b) The Rector at the college.
(c) His father.
(d) The young Father Kelly and his open-hearted camaraderie.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nixon is in office and plans to do what with the Vietnam War?
2. Who becomes famous for leaking the Pentagon Papers?
3. How does James feel among the working-class Irish novices?
4. Of what does James believe Joe Carroll embodies the motto?
5. Senator Eugene McCarthy declares his candidacy for president on what platform?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)