|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. These priests focus on a defensive Catholic Church and a hostile American culture.
(a) Paulist Fathers.
(b) Benedictine Fathers.
(c) Markist Fathers.
(d) Franciscan Fathers.
2. What does James recollect about slaves?
(a) They always seemed happy.
(b) The south's economic growth is due to them.
(c) They are mistreated.
(d) They are part of a slave-owner's family.
3. What in Washington transforms James' resistance into a resolution because he is faithful to John XXIII and embodies his vision for the Church?
(a) Father Kelly's book.
(b) Joseph Carroll's position.
(c) Robert F. Kennedy's speech.
(d) Hans Kung's lecture.
4. What does Joe Carroll do as James blesses him and lays hands on his head?
(a) He prays.
(b) He convulses and silently sobs.
(c) He is filled with the Holy Spirit.
(d) He sits silently.
5. Who becomes famous for leaking the Pentagon Papers?
(a) James Carroll.
(b) Daniel Ellsberg.
(c) Cardinal Spellman.
(d) J. Edgar Hoover.
6. Who does Cardinal Spellman meet in 1950?
(a) Secretary of Defense McNamara.
(b) President Johnson.
(c) Ngo Dinh Diem.
(d) The Pope.
7. What convinces James to be Patrick Hughes' friend?
(a) Patrick's belief in himself.
(b) Patrick is kind and loving.
(c) He has no other friends.
(d) Patrick does not give James the option to say no.
8. Why does James keep secret that he met and was kissed by Pope John XXIII?
(a) He does not think anyone would believe him.
(b) No one is allowed to know.
(c) He feels guilty about advantages he receives.
(d) He is shy.
9. Who reminds James of Air Force chaplains?
(a) The Paulist Fathers.
(b) The Rector at the college.
(c) The young Father Kelly and his open-hearted camaraderie.
(d) His father.
10. What does James do a week before entering the novitiate?
(a) He begins to write a religious-based novel.
(b) He dates the Vice-President's daughter and tries unsuccessfully to have sex.
(c) He prays about what his calling truly is.
(d) He meets with Allen Tate to show him several of his poems.
11. What does James' mother refuse to recognize about the war?
(a) That is is ending.
(b) That it may embarrass James.
(c) The war is unjust.
(d) That her husband is against the war.
12. Nixon is in office and plans to do what with the Vietnam War?
(a) Slowly remove soldiers from Vietnam.
(b) End it.
(c) Ask other countries for assistance.
(d) Escalate it.
13. Where does James begin seminary training in 1963?
(a) St. Mark's College.
(b) College of the Benedictine.
(c) St. Paul's College.
(d) St. Francis College.
14. Who is excommunicated?
(a) Some modernist Paulists.
(b) Some traditional Paulists.
(c) Some traditional Benedictines.
(d) Some modernists Bendictines.
15. Who does His Holiness address for its twentieth-year celebration?
(a) The Catholic Church of America.
(b) The United Nations.
(c) The NAACP.
(d) The Paulist Fathers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Daniel Berrigan becomes a national hero. What is Spellman forced to do?
2. What does General Carroll ask of Father James?
3. Who is the host in place of Dick Cavett?
4. On what does James learn Catholic beliefs in scripture, events and characters are based?
5. Why do countless Air Force chaplains attend in full dress?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)