|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Father James spend the summer on retreat in the Holy Land?
(a) To take a long-needed vacation.
(b) To meet with religious leaders.
(c) To reconsider his vocation.
(d) For a religion conference.
2. The Pope's speech ends in French. What does it translate to in English?
(a) We must fight God's war.
(b) War no more.
(c) God bless the U.S.A.
(d) God is on our side.
3. What is this ceremony for his mother?
(a) Her first.
(b) A tradition in her family.
(c) A dream come true.
(d) A fearful one.
4. James is ordained in 1969, and assigned to the campus ministry at what university?
(a) The University of Virginia.
(b) Boston University.
(c) Northwestern University.
(d) New York University.
5. What does James recollect about slaves?
(a) They are mistreated.
(b) They are part of a slave-owner's family.
(c) They always seemed happy.
(d) The south's economic growth is due to them.
6. To what does the author flash back?
(a) His years in Germany.
(b) His high school girlfriend.
(c) His recent experience with Allen Tate in Tennessee.
(d) His childhood riding in an automobile with his father.
7. What does Mary Carroll remind her son about Cardinal Spellman?
(a) He is not favored by the Pope.
(b) He is a good friend.
(c) He is looking forward to ordaining James.
(d) He is looking for a golf caddy.
8. J. Edgar Hoover persecutes King, and who does he recruit in an unsuccessful attempt to stop King from meeting the Pope?
(a) Cardinal Spellman.
(b) Father Carroll.
(c) Joseph Carroll.
(d) Father Kelly.
9. Daniel Berrigan becomes a national hero. What is Spellman forced to do?
(a) Find a parish for him.
(b) Retrieve Berrigan from exile.
(c) Banish Berrigan from New York.
(d) Honor him with a parade.
10. Whose point of view does James present on the Cavett Show?
(a) Father Daniel Berrigan's.
(b) His students'.
(c) His father's.
(d) His own.
11. What in Washington transforms James' resistance into a resolution because he is faithful to John XXIII and embodies his vision for the Church?
(a) Hans Kung's lecture.
(b) Robert F. Kennedy's speech.
(c) Father Kelly's book.
(d) Joseph Carroll's position.
12. Who reminds James of Air Force chaplains?
(a) The young Father Kelly and his open-hearted camaraderie.
(b) The Rector at the college.
(c) The Paulist Fathers.
(d) His father.
13. What convinces James to be Patrick Hughes' friend?
(a) He has no other friends.
(b) Patrick does not give James the option to say no.
(c) Patrick is kind and loving.
(d) Patrick's belief in himself.
14. How does James feel at his ordination?
(a) He is fearful.
(b) He is happy.
(c) He feels betrayed.
(d) He is unsure.
15. What does James intern as in Atlanta?
(a) An Air Force cadet.
(b) A pastoral counselor.
(c) A therapist.
(d) A lay assistant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does James believe Joe Carroll embodies the motto?
2. What does Joe Carroll do as James blesses him and lays hands on his head?
3. Who is the FBI resolved to bring down?
4. What does Carroll's DIA report show?
5. What bill does President Johnson propose? He ends his speech with "we shall overcome" and becomes an ally of King's.
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)