|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who arrests James for protesting Igloo White at Hansom Air Force Base?
(a) The CIA.
(b) The Air Force.
(c) The FBI.
(d) The Secret Service.
2. What does Joe Carroll do as James blesses him and lays hands on his head?
(a) He convulses and silently sobs.
(b) He prays.
(c) He sits silently.
(d) He is filled with the Holy Spirit.
3. As what is the Catholic Student Center also known?
(a) The Center for Peace.
(b) The Center for the Lord.
(c) The Newman Center.
(d) The Carroll Center.
4. Whose point of view does James present on the Cavett Show?
(a) His students'.
(b) His own.
(c) His father's.
(d) Father Daniel Berrigan's.
5. Robert Kennedy encourages James saying priests are needed in the streets. Who is already in the streets?
(a) The politicians.
(b) The devil.
(c) The people.
(d) The ministers.
6. To what is the conflict between James and his father limited?
(a) The Vietnam War.
(b) The Civil Rights movement.
(c) The priesthood.
(d) The Air Force.
7. To what is the author resistant?
(c) His father.
(d) The military.
8. How does James read the Bible for the first time?
(a) Starting with the New Testament.
(b) Very slowly.
(c) Using the Hebrew Bible.
(d) As a living thing.
9. On what does James learn Catholic beliefs in scripture, events and characters are based?
(a) Myth and fiction, not divine intervention.
(b) The ocult.
(c) Divine intervention, not myth and fiction.
(d) The Holy Trinity.
10. James feels his life ends when he enters seminary and that as a child he first hears the word as what?
11. Who does Cardinal Spellman meet in 1950?
(a) Ngo Dinh Diem.
(b) President Johnson.
(c) The Pope.
(d) Secretary of Defense McNamara.
12. James sees King once in person, and what is his opinion of King?
(a) He can not be trusted.
(b) He is a liar and a coward.
(c) His father is right in believing King is void of all morals.
(d) King is the only public figure to which he is personally devoted.
13. What is not James' belief but simply taken for granted as the way things are?
(a) The military.
14. Who reminds James of Air Force chaplains?
(a) His father.
(b) The Rector at the college.
(c) The Paulist Fathers.
(d) The young Father Kelly and his open-hearted camaraderie.
15. What do President Johnson and Secretary of Defense McNamara not know about Spellman?
(a) He will be ordaining James.
(b) He is not favored by the Pope.
(c) He plays golf.
(d) He helps instigate the war.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to James when he raises the Confederate flag to celebrate Robert E. Lee's birthday in the Washington Benedictine prep school?
2. Daniel Berrigan becomes a national hero. What is Spellman forced to do?
3. These priests focus on a defensive Catholic Church and a hostile American culture.
4. James is a boy in southern Alexandria and raised in what traditions?
5. Of what does James believe Joe Carroll embodies the motto?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)