|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. King is wiretapped, and what does his sexual behavior replace as an issue?
(a) The Republican Party.
(b) The Vietnam War.
(c) Communist infiltration.
(d) Marxist thugs.
2. Who does His Holiness address for its twentieth-year celebration?
(a) The Paulist Fathers.
(b) The NAACP.
(c) The United Nations.
(d) The Catholic Church of America.
3. What is not James' belief but simply taken for granted as the way things are?
(d) The military.
4. Daniel Berrigan becomes a national hero. What is Spellman forced to do?
(a) Banish Berrigan from New York.
(b) Find a parish for him.
(c) Retrieve Berrigan from exile.
(d) Honor him with a parade.
5. To what does the author flash back?
(a) His years in Germany.
(b) His recent experience with Allen Tate in Tennessee.
(c) His high school girlfriend.
(d) His childhood riding in an automobile with his father.
6. Senator Eugene McCarthy declares his candidacy for president on what platform?
(a) A segregationist platform.
(b) An anti-war platform.
(c) A green platform.
(d) A war platform.
7. What does James intern as in Atlanta?
(a) An Air Force cadet.
(b) A lay assistant.
(c) A pastoral counselor.
(d) A therapist.
8. Robert Kennedy encourages James saying priests are needed in the streets. Who is already in the streets?
(a) The politicians.
(b) The devil.
(c) The people.
(d) The ministers.
9. God, government, and what else keep James in conflict?
(c) His calling.
10. James is a boy in southern Alexandria and raised in what traditions?
11. Whose point of view does James present on the Cavett Show?
(a) His father's.
(b) His own.
(c) His students'.
(d) Father Daniel Berrigan's.
12. When Kennedy is assassinated, what does Johnson take over?
(a) The administration and the war.
(b) The presidency.
(c) The Democratic Party.
(d) The war.
13. Where is no one allowed to truly speak his mind?
(a) In the Air Force.
(b) In the FBI.
(c) In the government.
(d) At the Carrolls'.
14. What does Mary Carroll remind her son about Cardinal Spellman?
(a) He is not favored by the Pope.
(b) He is a good friend.
(c) He is looking forward to ordaining James.
(d) He is looking for a golf caddy.
15. How does James read the Bible for the first time?
(a) Very slowly.
(b) Starting with the New Testament.
(c) As a living thing.
(d) Using the Hebrew Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. On whom does ritual require a newly-ordained priest to first perform his priestly blessing?
2. How does James feel among the working-class Irish novices?
3. To what is the author resistant?
4. What does Joseph ask of his son at Christmas dinner, 1965?
5. James feels his life ends when he enters seminary and that as a child he first hears the word as what?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)