|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What convinces James to be Patrick Hughes' friend?
(a) Patrick is kind and loving.
(b) Patrick's belief in himself.
(c) Patrick does not give James the option to say no.
(d) He has no other friends.
2. J. Edgar Hoover persecutes King, and who does he recruit in an unsuccessful attempt to stop King from meeting the Pope?
(a) Father Carroll.
(b) Cardinal Spellman.
(c) Father Kelly.
(d) Joseph Carroll.
3. Who reminds James of Air Force chaplains?
(a) The young Father Kelly and his open-hearted camaraderie.
(b) His father.
(c) The Paulist Fathers.
(d) The Rector at the college.
4. Daniel Berrigan becomes a national hero. What is Spellman forced to do?
(a) Find a parish for him.
(b) Banish Berrigan from New York.
(c) Honor him with a parade.
(d) Retrieve Berrigan from exile.
5. Who becomes famous for leaking the Pentagon Papers?
(a) Cardinal Spellman.
(b) James Carroll.
(c) J. Edgar Hoover.
(d) Daniel Ellsberg.
6. Why do countless Air Force chaplains attend in full dress?
(a) James is a general's son.
(b) They have nothing else to do.
(c) James is in the Air Force.
(d) They are friends with James.
7. What does James return to Washington as a seminarian to study?
(a) Philosophy and theology.
(b) Human evolution.
8. To what is the conflict between James and his father limited?
(a) The Air Force.
(b) The priesthood.
(c) The Vietnam War.
(d) The Civil Rights movement.
9. What is this ceremony for his mother?
(a) A tradition in her family.
(b) A dream come true.
(c) Her first.
(d) A fearful one.
10. Why does Robert Kennedy send federal marshals instead of FBI agents to protect James Meredith at Ole Miss?
(a) He does not trust the FBI.
(b) The FBI is not very thorough.
(c) James Meredith is a federal marshal.
(d) He fears the FBI.
11. To what is the author resistant?
(c) His father.
(d) The military.
12. Despite years of religious training as an altar boy, catechism and religion classes, how is James regarding the Bible and theology?
13. James is a boy in southern Alexandria and raised in what traditions?
14. How does James thank "Mr. Johnson" for ending the war?
(a) In person.
(b) On the telephone.
(c) During a meal at the White House.
(d) He writes a personal letter.
15. On whom does ritual require a newly-ordained priest to first perform his priestly blessing?
(a) Members of the congregation.
(b) His siblings.
(c) Other priests.
(d) On his parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What begins James' breakdown in shared understanding with his father?
2. Why will a local Catholic priest not bury Tate's son, Michael?
3. James recalls when he and his fellow candidates lie prostrate on the cold stone floor of St. Paul the Apostle Church. What ceremony is this?
4. When Kennedy is assassinated, what does Johnson take over?
5. What does James do a week before entering the novitiate?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)