|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what does James learn Catholic beliefs in scripture, events and characters are based?
(a) The ocult.
(b) The Holy Trinity.
(c) Divine intervention, not myth and fiction.
(d) Myth and fiction, not divine intervention.
2. How does James feel among the working-class Irish novices?
(a) Out of place.
(b) He feels at home.
(c) He often fights them.
(d) He befriends many of them.
3. How does James feel at his ordination?
(a) He is unsure.
(b) He feels betrayed.
(c) He is fearful.
(d) He is happy.
4. Senator Eugene McCarthy declares his candidacy for president on what platform?
(a) A green platform.
(b) A war platform.
(c) A segregationist platform.
(d) An anti-war platform.
5. Why does Robert Kennedy send federal marshals instead of FBI agents to protect James Meredith at Ole Miss?
(a) He fears the FBI.
(b) The FBI is not very thorough.
(c) James Meredith is a federal marshal.
(d) He does not trust the FBI.
6. How does the General refer to war protesters?
(a) As "hippies."
(b) As "kooks."
(c) As weirdos."
(d) As "crayzies."
7. The Pope's speech ends in French. What does it translate to in English?
(a) We must fight God's war.
(b) God is on our side.
(c) War no more.
(d) God bless the U.S.A.
8. What is not James' belief but simply taken for granted as the way things are?
(c) The military.
9. God, government, and what else keep James in conflict?
(c) His calling.
10. When the General and Mary reunite with James at St. Paul's College and walk up Fourth Street, to where do they walk?
(a) The Catholic Archidiacese.
(b) The Washington Monument.
(c) The National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception.
(d) The Lincoln Memorial.
11. Who becomes to James, for the first time, a man with whom he can identify?
(a) The Pope.
(b) His father.
(d) John the Baptist.
12. James sees King once in person, and what is his opinion of King?
(a) His father is right in believing King is void of all morals.
(b) King is the only public figure to which he is personally devoted.
(c) He is a liar and a coward.
(d) He can not be trusted.
13. Where is no one allowed to truly speak his mind?
(a) In the FBI.
(b) In the Air Force.
(c) In the government.
(d) At the Carrolls'.
14. What does Joseph ask of his son at Christmas dinner, 1965?
(a) To be the priest at his younger brother's wedding.
(b) To support his views.
(c) He asks his son to say grace for the first time.
(d) To leave the priesthood.
15. These priests focus on a defensive Catholic Church and a hostile American culture.
(a) Paulist Fathers.
(b) Franciscan Fathers.
(c) Markist Fathers.
(d) Benedictine Fathers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What changes James' life and leads to a weekly review of two poems?
2. What does General Carroll ask of Father James?
3. When Kennedy is assassinated, what does Johnson take over?
4. Of what does James believe Joe Carroll embodies the motto?
5. Where does James begin seminary training in 1963?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)