|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What in Washington transforms James' resistance into a resolution because he is faithful to John XXIII and embodies his vision for the Church?
(a) Father Kelly's book.
(b) Robert F. Kennedy's speech.
(c) Joseph Carroll's position.
(d) Hans Kung's lecture.
2. What is this ceremony for his mother?
(a) A tradition in her family.
(b) Her first.
(c) A dream come true.
(d) A fearful one.
3. What happens to James when he raises the Confederate flag to celebrate Robert E. Lee's birthday in the Washington Benedictine prep school?
(a) He is exalted.
(b) He is expelled.
(c) He is awarded.
(d) He is lightly reprimanded.
4. Daniel Berrigan becomes a national hero. What is Spellman forced to do?
(a) Find a parish for him.
(b) Banish Berrigan from New York.
(c) Retrieve Berrigan from exile.
(d) Honor him with a parade.
5. How does James feel at his ordination?
(a) He is unsure.
(b) He feels betrayed.
(c) He is happy.
(d) He is fearful.
6. James recalls when he and his fellow candidates lie prostrate on the cold stone floor of St. Paul the Apostle Church. What ceremony is this?
(a) Reformation Sunday.
(b) The Passover ceremony.
(c) The ordination ceremony.
(d) The Holy Eucharist.
7. What does Mary Carroll remind her son about Cardinal Spellman?
(a) He is not favored by the Pope.
(b) He is looking forward to ordaining James.
(c) He is a good friend.
(d) He is looking for a golf caddy.
8. Senator Eugene McCarthy declares his candidacy for president on what platform?
(a) A war platform.
(b) A segregationist platform.
(c) A green platform.
(d) An anti-war platform.
9. What is not James' belief but simply taken for granted as the way things are?
(a) The military.
10. Who does Cardinal Spellman meet in 1950?
(a) President Johnson.
(b) Ngo Dinh Diem.
(c) Secretary of Defense McNamara.
(d) The Pope.
11. Who arrests James for protesting Igloo White at Hansom Air Force Base?
(a) The FBI.
(b) The Secret Service.
(c) The Air Force.
(d) The CIA.
12. What does James return to Washington as a seminarian to study?
(b) Philosophy and theology.
(d) Human evolution.
13. By the will of whom does Diem rule Vietnam?
14. Whose point of view does James present on the Cavett Show?
(a) His own.
(b) Father Daniel Berrigan's.
(c) His students'.
(d) His father's.
15. Who is the FBI resolved to bring down?
(a) Cardinal Spellman.
(b) Martin Luther King.
(c) The Pope.
(d) Joseph Carroll.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carroll's DIA report show?
2. Where is no one allowed to truly speak his mind?
3. When Kennedy is assassinated, what does Johnson take over?
4. What do President Johnson and Secretary of Defense McNamara not know about Spellman?
5. To what is the conflict between James and his father limited?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)