|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do James and fellow novices do on the edge of a lake?
(c) Contemplate their choice to join the priesthood.
(d) Bet when it will freeze over.
2. What does Mary Carroll remind her son about Cardinal Spellman?
(a) He is a good friend.
(b) He is looking forward to ordaining James.
(c) He is looking for a golf caddy.
(d) He is not favored by the Pope.
3. Senator Eugene McCarthy declares his candidacy for president on what platform?
(a) A war platform.
(b) A segregationist platform.
(c) An anti-war platform.
(d) A green platform.
4. Who becomes famous for leaking the Pentagon Papers?
(a) Daniel Ellsberg.
(b) James Carroll.
(c) J. Edgar Hoover.
(d) Cardinal Spellman.
5. What begins James' breakdown in shared understanding with his father?
(a) The Civil Rights movement.
(b) His leaving the priesthood.
(c) The Paulist order.
(d) The Vietnam War.
6. How does James feel at his ordination?
(a) He is fearful.
(b) He is unsure.
(c) He feels betrayed.
(d) He is happy.
7. James is ordained in 1969, and assigned to the campus ministry at what university?
(a) Boston University.
(b) New York University.
(c) Northwestern University.
(d) The University of Virginia.
8. For what are students at this university notorious?
(a) Being insubordinate.
(b) Being violent.
(c) Being pro-war.
(d) Being anti-war.
9. What bill does President Johnson propose? He ends his speech with "we shall overcome" and becomes an ally of King's.
(a) Desegregation Bill.
(b) Voting Rights Bill.
(c) The Emancipation Proclamation.
(d) Equality for All Bill.
10. What is not James' belief but simply taken for granted as the way things are?
(b) The military.
11. Why does Father James spend the summer on retreat in the Holy Land?
(a) For a religion conference.
(b) To take a long-needed vacation.
(c) To reconsider his vocation.
(d) To meet with religious leaders.
12. What do President Johnson and Secretary of Defense McNamara not know about Spellman?
(a) He is not favored by the Pope.
(b) He will be ordaining James.
(c) He helps instigate the war.
(d) He plays golf.
13. Daniel Berrigan becomes a national hero. What is Spellman forced to do?
(a) Banish Berrigan from New York.
(b) Find a parish for him.
(c) Honor him with a parade.
(d) Retrieve Berrigan from exile.
14. Where does James begin seminary training in 1963?
(a) St. Paul's College.
(b) St. Francis College.
(c) St. Mark's College.
(d) College of the Benedictine.
15. When the General and Mary reunite with James at St. Paul's College and walk up Fourth Street, to where do they walk?
(a) The Catholic Archidiacese.
(b) The Lincoln Memorial.
(c) The National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception.
(d) The Washington Monument.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what does James learn Catholic beliefs in scripture, events and characters are based?
2. To what does the author flash back?
3. Why does James organize a citizens' tribunal to indict J. Edgar Hoover?
4. What does James recollect about slaves?
5. What does James' mother refuse to recognize about the war?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)