|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Daniel Berrigan becomes a national hero. What is Spellman forced to do?
(a) Banish Berrigan from New York.
(b) Honor him with a parade.
(c) Find a parish for him.
(d) Retrieve Berrigan from exile.
2. Despite years of religious training as an altar boy, catechism and religion classes, how is James regarding the Bible and theology?
3. What does James do a week before entering the novitiate?
(a) He dates the Vice-President's daughter and tries unsuccessfully to have sex.
(b) He meets with Allen Tate to show him several of his poems.
(c) He prays about what his calling truly is.
(d) He begins to write a religious-based novel.
4. By the will of whom does Diem rule Vietnam?
5. What does James return to Washington as a seminarian to study?
(b) Philosophy and theology.
(d) Human evolution.
6. Who does Cardinal Spellman meet in 1950?
(a) Secretary of Defense McNamara.
(b) Ngo Dinh Diem.
(c) President Johnson.
(d) The Pope.
7. The Cardinal ritually anoints James' hands and wraps them in linen bands that are given to his mother. What power does this give James?
(a) To bless the congregation.
(b) To marry.
(c) To give the sermon.
(d) Sacramental power to turn bread and wine into the Body and Blood of Christ.
8. On whom does ritual require a newly-ordained priest to first perform his priestly blessing?
(a) Members of the congregation.
(b) Other priests.
(c) On his parents.
(d) His siblings.
9. What does James' mother refuse to recognize about the war?
(a) That her husband is against the war.
(b) That is is ending.
(c) That it may embarrass James.
(d) The war is unjust.
10. Who is delighted to be a personal guest of Cardinal Spellman's and helps welcome the Pope?
(a) Brian Carroll.
(b) James Carroll.
(c) Mary Carroll.
(d) Joseph Carroll.
11. These priests focus on a defensive Catholic Church and a hostile American culture.
(a) Paulist Fathers.
(b) Franciscan Fathers.
(c) Benedictine Fathers.
(d) Markist Fathers.
12. What happens to James when he raises the Confederate flag to celebrate Robert E. Lee's birthday in the Washington Benedictine prep school?
(a) He is exalted.
(b) He is expelled.
(c) He is awarded.
(d) He is lightly reprimanded.
13. When Kennedy is assassinated, what does Johnson take over?
(a) The war.
(b) The administration and the war.
(c) The Democratic Party.
(d) The presidency.
14. Who is the FBI resolved to bring down?
(a) Cardinal Spellman.
(b) Martin Luther King.
(c) Joseph Carroll.
(d) The Pope.
15. What do President Johnson and Secretary of Defense McNamara not know about Spellman?
(a) He will be ordaining James.
(b) He is not favored by the Pope.
(c) He helps instigate the war.
(d) He plays golf.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrests James for protesting Igloo White at Hansom Air Force Base?
2. When the General and Mary reunite with James at St. Paul's College and walk up Fourth Street, to where do they walk?
3. What is this ceremony for his mother?
4. What does Joe Carroll do as James blesses him and lays hands on his head?
5. To what does the author flash back?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)