|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do countless Air Force chaplains attend in full dress?
(a) They are friends with James.
(b) James is a general's son.
(c) They have nothing else to do.
(d) James is in the Air Force.
2. J. Edgar Hoover persecutes King, and who does he recruit in an unsuccessful attempt to stop King from meeting the Pope?
(a) Father Kelly.
(b) Cardinal Spellman.
(c) Father Carroll.
(d) Joseph Carroll.
3. Why does Father James spend the summer on retreat in the Holy Land?
(a) To take a long-needed vacation.
(b) For a religion conference.
(c) To meet with religious leaders.
(d) To reconsider his vocation.
4. To what is the author resistant?
(b) The military.
(c) His father.
5. How does James read the Bible for the first time?
(a) Very slowly.
(b) Starting with the New Testament.
(c) As a living thing.
(d) Using the Hebrew Bible.
6. For what is Selma, Alabama, in 1965, notorious?
(c) A demonstration King leads for black voting rights.
(d) Producing politicians.
7. Who is excommunicated?
(a) Some modernist Paulists.
(b) Some modernists Bendictines.
(c) Some traditional Benedictines.
(d) Some traditional Paulists.
8. How is Dan Berrigan's hiding place found?
(a) Through the Pope.
(b) Through the letters from his brother, Philip.
(c) Through James' confessions.
(d) Through the assistance of the Catholic church.
9. James reads an account of his father's conspiracy to destroy whom?
(a) The Pope.
(b) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(c) The Democratic Party.
(d) The Catholic Church of America.
10. On what does James learn Catholic beliefs in scripture, events and characters are based?
(a) The ocult.
(b) Divine intervention, not myth and fiction.
(c) The Holy Trinity.
(d) Myth and fiction, not divine intervention.
11. The Pope's speech ends in French. What does it translate to in English?
(a) God bless the U.S.A.
(b) We must fight God's war.
(c) God is on our side.
(d) War no more.
12. What does James recollect about slaves?
(a) They always seemed happy.
(b) The south's economic growth is due to them.
(c) They are part of a slave-owner's family.
(d) They are mistreated.
13. Whose point of view does James present on the Cavett Show?
(a) His own.
(b) Father Daniel Berrigan's.
(c) His students'.
(d) His father's.
14. What does Joe Carroll do as James blesses him and lays hands on his head?
(a) He convulses and silently sobs.
(b) He prays.
(c) He is filled with the Holy Spirit.
(d) He sits silently.
15. What begins James' breakdown in shared understanding with his father?
(a) The Paulist order.
(b) His leaving the priesthood.
(c) The Civil Rights movement.
(d) The Vietnam War.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do James and fellow novices do on the edge of a lake?
2. Daniel Berrigan becomes a national hero. What is Spellman forced to do?
3. How does James feel at his ordination?
4. Nixon is in office and plans to do what with the Vietnam War?
5. Who becomes to James, for the first time, a man with whom he can identify?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)