|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what is Selma, Alabama, in 1965, notorious?
(b) A demonstration King leads for black voting rights.
(d) Producing politicians.
2. What happens to James when he raises the Confederate flag to celebrate Robert E. Lee's birthday in the Washington Benedictine prep school?
(a) He is awarded.
(b) He is lightly reprimanded.
(c) He is exalted.
(d) He is expelled.
3. Why does Father James spend the summer on retreat in the Holy Land?
(a) For a religion conference.
(b) To reconsider his vocation.
(c) To meet with religious leaders.
(d) To take a long-needed vacation.
4. What does James intern as in Atlanta?
(a) A lay assistant.
(b) A pastoral counselor.
(c) An Air Force cadet.
(d) A therapist.
5. What does James recollect about slaves?
(a) They always seemed happy.
(b) They are mistreated.
(c) They are part of a slave-owner's family.
(d) The south's economic growth is due to them.
6. Who is the FBI resolved to bring down?
(a) Cardinal Spellman.
(b) Joseph Carroll.
(c) The Pope.
(d) Martin Luther King.
7. To what is the author resistant?
(a) The military.
(d) His father.
8. To what does the author flash back?
(a) His high school girlfriend.
(b) His years in Germany.
(c) His recent experience with Allen Tate in Tennessee.
(d) His childhood riding in an automobile with his father.
9. What convinces James to be Patrick Hughes' friend?
(a) Patrick does not give James the option to say no.
(b) He has no other friends.
(c) Patrick's belief in himself.
(d) Patrick is kind and loving.
10. These priests focus on a defensive Catholic Church and a hostile American culture.
(a) Benedictine Fathers.
(b) Paulist Fathers.
(c) Franciscan Fathers.
(d) Markist Fathers.
11. What in Washington transforms James' resistance into a resolution because he is faithful to John XXIII and embodies his vision for the Church?
(a) Joseph Carroll's position.
(b) Hans Kung's lecture.
(c) Robert F. Kennedy's speech.
(d) Father Kelly's book.
12. James feels his life ends when he enters seminary and that as a child he first hears the word as what?
13. Who does Cardinal Spellman meet in 1950?
(a) Ngo Dinh Diem.
(b) Secretary of Defense McNamara.
(c) President Johnson.
(d) The Pope.
14. Tom Dooley writes a book inferring what about Vietnam?
(a) Vietnam is a Catholic country under Communist siege.
(b) It is a war of religions.
(c) Vietnam is a country full of pagans.
(d) Vietnam is a Communist country under Catholic siege.
15. Who becomes famous for leaking the Pentagon Papers?
(a) James Carroll.
(b) Daniel Ellsberg.
(c) J. Edgar Hoover.
(d) Cardinal Spellman.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does James feel at his ordination?
2. By the will of whom does Diem rule Vietnam?
3. Of what does James believe Joe Carroll embodies the motto?
4. As what is the Catholic Student Center also known?
5. How does James feel among the working-class Irish novices?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)