|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary Carroll remind her son about Cardinal Spellman?
(a) He is looking forward to ordaining James.
(b) He is looking for a golf caddy.
(c) He is not favored by the Pope.
(d) He is a good friend.
2. James is a boy in southern Alexandria and raised in what traditions?
3. On whom does ritual require a newly-ordained priest to first perform his priestly blessing?
(a) His siblings.
(b) On his parents.
(c) Other priests.
(d) Members of the congregation.
4. Senator Eugene McCarthy declares his candidacy for president on what platform?
(a) A war platform.
(b) An anti-war platform.
(c) A segregationist platform.
(d) A green platform.
5. What does James return to Washington as a seminarian to study?
(b) Philosophy and theology.
(d) Human evolution.
6. Who is the host in place of Dick Cavett?
(a) Jack Black.
(b) Jack Klugman.
(c) Johnny Carson.
(d) David Letterman.
7. Nixon is in office and plans to do what with the Vietnam War?
(a) End it.
(b) Ask other countries for assistance.
(c) Escalate it.
(d) Slowly remove soldiers from Vietnam.
8. For what is Selma, Alabama, in 1965, notorious?
(a) A demonstration King leads for black voting rights.
(c) Producing politicians.
9. What does James do a week before entering the novitiate?
(a) He prays about what his calling truly is.
(b) He begins to write a religious-based novel.
(c) He dates the Vice-President's daughter and tries unsuccessfully to have sex.
(d) He meets with Allen Tate to show him several of his poems.
10. The Cardinal ritually anoints James' hands and wraps them in linen bands that are given to his mother. What power does this give James?
(a) To bless the congregation.
(b) Sacramental power to turn bread and wine into the Body and Blood of Christ.
(c) To marry.
(d) To give the sermon.
11. James' appointment with Tate is interrupted by what personal tragedy the night before?
(a) The country has gone to war.
(b) His brother has been caught leaving the country and the draft.
(c) One of Tate's newborn twins dies.
(d) James' father dies.
12. As what is the Catholic Student Center also known?
(a) The Carroll Center.
(b) The Center for Peace.
(c) The Center for the Lord.
(d) The Newman Center.
13. What is not James' belief but simply taken for granted as the way things are?
(c) The military.
14. How does the General refer to war protesters?
(a) As weirdos."
(b) As "hippies."
(c) As "crayzies."
(d) As "kooks."
15. Why do countless Air Force chaplains attend in full dress?
(a) They are friends with James.
(b) They have nothing else to do.
(c) James is a general's son.
(d) James is in the Air Force.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do President Johnson and Secretary of Defense McNamara not know about Spellman?
2. Who is the FBI resolved to bring down?
3. When Kennedy is assassinated, what does Johnson take over?
4. How does James feel at his ordination?
5. Who is delighted to be a personal guest of Cardinal Spellman's and helps welcome the Pope?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)