|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose point of view does James present on the Cavett Show?
(a) His students'.
(b) His father's.
(c) Father Daniel Berrigan's.
(d) His own.
2. God, government, and what else keep James in conflict?
(d) His calling.
3. Who is the host in place of Dick Cavett?
(a) Jack Black.
(b) Johnny Carson.
(c) Jack Klugman.
(d) David Letterman.
4. Who does His Holiness address for its twentieth-year celebration?
(a) The NAACP.
(b) The Catholic Church of America.
(c) The Paulist Fathers.
(d) The United Nations.
5. James' appointment with Tate is interrupted by what personal tragedy the night before?
(a) The country has gone to war.
(b) James' father dies.
(c) His brother has been caught leaving the country and the draft.
(d) One of Tate's newborn twins dies.
6. Of what does James believe Joe Carroll embodies the motto?
(a) The priesthood, Heroes of Sacrifice.
(b) The Church, The Lord is my light.
(c) His FBI career, fidelity, bravery and integrity.
(d) His Air Force career, Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do.
7. The Cardinal ritually anoints James' hands and wraps them in linen bands that are given to his mother. What power does this give James?
(a) To bless the congregation.
(b) Sacramental power to turn bread and wine into the Body and Blood of Christ.
(c) To marry.
(d) To give the sermon.
8. What happens to James when he raises the Confederate flag to celebrate Robert E. Lee's birthday in the Washington Benedictine prep school?
(a) He is awarded.
(b) He is lightly reprimanded.
(c) He is exalted.
(d) He is expelled.
9. J. Edgar Hoover persecutes King, and who does he recruit in an unsuccessful attempt to stop King from meeting the Pope?
(a) Cardinal Spellman.
(b) Father Carroll.
(c) Joseph Carroll.
(d) Father Kelly.
10. Why does James keep secret that he met and was kissed by Pope John XXIII?
(a) He does not think anyone would believe him.
(b) He feels guilty about advantages he receives.
(c) No one is allowed to know.
(d) He is shy.
11. Why does Father James spend the summer on retreat in the Holy Land?
(a) To take a long-needed vacation.
(b) To meet with religious leaders.
(c) To reconsider his vocation.
(d) For a religion conference.
12. How does the General refer to war protesters?
(a) As "crayzies."
(b) As "kooks."
(c) As weirdos."
(d) As "hippies."
13. To what does the author flash back?
(a) His high school girlfriend.
(b) His years in Germany.
(c) His recent experience with Allen Tate in Tennessee.
(d) His childhood riding in an automobile with his father.
14. What is this ceremony for his mother?
(a) Her first.
(b) A dream come true.
(c) A fearful one.
(d) A tradition in her family.
15. What does James return to Washington as a seminarian to study?
(b) Human evolution.
(c) Philosophy and theology.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrests James for protesting Igloo White at Hansom Air Force Base?
2. What does the General call Martin Luther King?
3. For what is Selma, Alabama, in 1965, notorious?
4. Daniel Berrigan becomes a national hero. What is Spellman forced to do?
5. How does James thank "Mr. Johnson" for ending the war?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)