|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to James when he raises the Confederate flag to celebrate Robert E. Lee's birthday in the Washington Benedictine prep school?
(a) He is lightly reprimanded.
(b) He is expelled.
(c) He is awarded.
(d) He is exalted.
2. J. Edgar Hoover persecutes King, and who does he recruit in an unsuccessful attempt to stop King from meeting the Pope?
(a) Joseph Carroll.
(b) Father Carroll.
(c) Cardinal Spellman.
(d) Father Kelly.
3. Tom Dooley writes a book inferring what about Vietnam?
(a) Vietnam is a Catholic country under Communist siege.
(b) Vietnam is a country full of pagans.
(c) It is a war of religions.
(d) Vietnam is a Communist country under Catholic siege.
4. As what is the Catholic Student Center also known?
(a) The Center for Peace.
(b) The Newman Center.
(c) The Center for the Lord.
(d) The Carroll Center.
5. What does General Carroll ask of Father James?
(a) To change his views on the war.
(b) To support his beliefs.
(c) To offer the benediction at a dinner to honor Hoover.
(d) To leave the priesthood.
6. These priests focus on a defensive Catholic Church and a hostile American culture.
(a) Benedictine Fathers.
(b) Paulist Fathers.
(c) Franciscan Fathers.
(d) Markist Fathers.
7. What changes James' life and leads to a weekly review of two poems?
(a) A visit by Allen Tate to the college.
(b) A literature course in school.
(c) Patrick Hughes' friendship.
(d) A summer writing workshop taught by Allen Tate.
8. Who reminds James of Air Force chaplains?
(a) The young Father Kelly and his open-hearted camaraderie.
(b) The Rector at the college.
(c) His father.
(d) The Paulist Fathers.
9. Despite years of religious training as an altar boy, catechism and religion classes, how is James regarding the Bible and theology?
10. What does the General call Martin Luther King?
(a) A religious role model.
(b) A great man.
(c) A leader of the free.
(d) The most notorious liar in America.
11. How does the General refer to war protesters?
(a) As "crayzies."
(b) As "hippies."
(c) As "kooks."
(d) As weirdos."
12. When the General and Mary reunite with James at St. Paul's College and walk up Fourth Street, to where do they walk?
(a) The Catholic Archidiacese.
(b) The National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception.
(c) The Washington Monument.
(d) The Lincoln Memorial.
13. The Pope's speech ends in French. What does it translate to in English?
(a) We must fight God's war.
(b) War no more.
(c) God is on our side.
(d) God bless the U.S.A.
14. Who is excommunicated?
(a) Some traditional Paulists.
(b) Some modernists Bendictines.
(c) Some modernist Paulists.
(d) Some traditional Benedictines.
15. Who does Cardinal Spellman meet in 1950?
(a) Secretary of Defense McNamara.
(b) Ngo Dinh Diem.
(c) President Johnson.
(d) The Pope.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does James recollect about slaves?
2. James reads an account of his father's conspiracy to destroy whom?
3. The Cardinal ritually anoints James' hands and wraps them in linen bands that are given to his mother. What power does this give James?
4. Nixon is in office and plans to do what with the Vietnam War?
5. Where does James begin seminary training in 1963?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)