|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is outlined in this chapter of background history?
(a) Joe Carroll's childhood.
(b) Joe Carroll's life up through the birth of James Carroll.
(c) Joe Carroll's childhood until his marriage.
(d) Joe Carroll's life up through the birth of Joe Carroll Jr.
2. What do the Catholics call the Chapel?
(a) "Our Lady of Perpetual Help."
(b) "Holy Trinity."
(c) "Our Lady of Peace."
(d) "Our Father."
3. What is a highlight of James' parent's life?
(a) Introduction to the new Pope.
(b) Living in Germany.
(c) Carroll graduating from high school.
(d) Having their children.
4. Silence during their ride home does what between James and his father?
(a) Makes them uncomfortable.
(b) Causes a rift between to two.
(c) Leaves unanswered questions.
(d) Seals the bond.
5. Who is a sexual image ideal for the author?
(a) Frank Sinatra.
(b) J. Edgar Hoover.
(c) Elvis Presley.
(d) Marilyn Monroe.
6. How does Joe's childhood compare to the social standing he later achieves?
(a) It is very similar.
(b) It stands in stark contrast.
(c) Same social standing, but in a different city.
(d) It is somewhat different.
7. Eisenhower is the first president who wears what kind of hat?
(a) A baseball cap.
(c) A beaver cap.
(d) A top hat.
8. Who is the newly-ordained priest?
(a) Joseph Carroll.
(b) Patrick Hughes.
(c) Edgar Hoover.
(d) The author.
9. Of what is this sexual image the opposite in James' life?
(a) Of the Puritanism James is raised in.
(b) He has many girlfriends.
(c) He is wealthy.
(d) She is female.
10. What does General Carroll confide in his son?
(a) He may not come home some night.
(b) He misses Chicago.
(c) He does not enjoy working for the FBI.
(d) He wants to be a priest.
11. What does Joe junior undergo a dozen of over the next fifteen years?
(c) Therapy sessions.
(d) Acupuncture appointments.
12. What belief does the General share with his son?
(a) That he believes the curse still exists.
(b) That World War III is inevitable.
(c) That he is secretly against the Vietnam War.
(d) That he is plotting to destroy Martin Luther King, Jr.
13. What has made FDR paralyzed from the waist down?
(b) A riding accident.
(d) An automobile accident.
14. What are Americans encouraged to do against the Soviet fallout?
(a) Build bomb shelters.
(b) Take vitamins.
(c) Buy gas masks.
(d) Prepare to attack.
15. Why does James feel as if he knows the Pope?
(a) He has met him several times.
(b) He hears about him every day at school.
(c) He sees the Pope's picture everywhere.
(d) He sees him on television.
Short Answer Questions
1. In November 1965, who sets himself on fire at the Pentagon?
2. Where is the Chapel located?
3. President Kennedy reverses nuclear thinking through speeches, the Test Ban Treaty and what else?
4. Father Carroll affirms whose power?
5. What happens as James and his father are golfing on the base golf course in Puerto Rico?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)