|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one reason why James receives the ROTC award?
(a) No one else deserves the award.
(b) He is a good pilot.
(c) He bribes the Commander.
(d) He wears his father's shoes shined by the General's orderlies.
2. Where does the author's mother take him as a two-year-old along with his four-year-old brother, Joe?
(a) To New York City.
(b) FDR's presidential inauguration.
(c) To Chicago to visit relatives.
(d) To Disney World.
3. How does James perceive the Carroll family's time in Germany?
(a) Their best.
4. In November 1965, who sets himself on fire at the Pentagon?
(a) A hippie from San Francisco.
(b) A German soldier.
(c) A Neo-Nazi.
(d) A Quaker war-protester.
5. His senior year Homecoming Day game is with what city?
6. Joe and his family leave Chicago for FBI training. After training, where are they assigned?
(b) New York.
(d) Los Angeles.
7. Who is founding director of the Defense Intelligence Agency in charge of enemy counts and evaluating targets in Vietnam?
(a) Lieutenant-General Brian Carroll.
(b) Lieutenant-General Brent Carroll.
(c) Lieutenant-General James Carroll.
(d) Lieutenant-General Joseph F. Carroll.
8. Of what is Joe junior a sign?
(a) Of shame.
(b) There is a God.
(c) God's approval for the neighbors to see.
(d) God's disapproval.
9. Who reflects a new image of priests than James and his mother remember?
(a) Monsignor Chess and his associates.
(b) The priests in the Wiesbaden church.
(c) The Paulists.
(d) Young chaplains in Wiesbaden.
10. President Kennedy reverses nuclear thinking through speeches, the Test Ban Treaty and what else?
(a) The Nuclear Weaponry Treaty.
(b) The Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty.
(c) The Treaty for Human Liberties.
(d) The United Nations Treaty.
11. Where is the Chapel located?
(a) On the west side of the Potomac River.
(b) On the south side of the Potomac River.
(c) On the north side of the Potomac River.
(d) On the east side of the Potomac River.
12. How does Edward J. Kelly, Chicago's mayor and head of the Democratic Party, bring in millions?
(a) He invents the automatic voting machine.
(b) Through illegal gambling and other vices run out of city hall, police stations and ward offices.
(c) He works as a philanthropist.
(d) He employs many to help raise funds.
13. What Chicago bank robber, kidnapper and killer has a significant impact on James' father's career?
(a) Ruben Toulouse.
(b) Roger Touhy.
(c) Robert Tolliver.
(d) Richard Thomas.
14. To where does the Carroll family return from Germany in 1960?
(c) New York.
15. Who is the newly-ordained priest?
(a) Joseph Carroll.
(b) Patrick Hughes.
(c) The author.
(d) Edgar Hoover.
Short Answer Questions
1. After receiving his award at Georgetown University, what does the author receive?
2. Of what is this sexual image the opposite in James' life?
3. The Touhy manhunt takes on the wartime symbolism of a hunt for who?
4. Who represents Catholic Irish-American ambition?
5. Eisenhower is the first president who wears what kind of hat?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)