|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. No longer Father James, a priest, what is James Carroll?
(a) A writer.
(b) An engineer.
(c) A painter.
(d) A businessman.
2. Joe and Jim wear Democrat campaign pins with what motto to protest Republican "I Like Ike" campaign pins?
(a) "I like Everybody."
(b) "Who's Ike?"
(c) "I Hate Ike."
(d) "I Don't Like Ike."
3. The author reflects on perceptions that he and his father give up worlds they love. Why?
(a) For what they want.
(b) For war.
(c) For their country.
(d) For peace.
4. What Chicago bank robber, kidnapper and killer has a significant impact on James' father's career?
(a) Richard Thomas.
(b) Roger Touhy.
(c) Robert Tolliver.
(d) Ruben Toulouse.
5. Father Carroll affirms whose power?
(c) His power.
(d) The United States.
6. How is James, Joe and Mary's second son, born?
(d) Oxygen-deprived and in danger of dying but survives.
7. How many years later does James break his vow and leave the priesthood?
(a) Five years later.
(b) Fifteen years later.
(c) Twelve years later.
(d) Two years later.
8. Who is founding director of the Defense Intelligence Agency in charge of enemy counts and evaluating targets in Vietnam?
(a) Lieutenant-General Joseph F. Carroll.
(b) Lieutenant-General Brian Carroll.
(c) Lieutenant-General Brent Carroll.
(d) Lieutenant-General James Carroll.
9. What happens as James and his father are golfing on the base golf course in Puerto Rico?
(a) James tells his father he is joining the priesthood.
(b) James tells his father he is marrying Lexa.
(c) A fleet of B-52 bombers lands.
(d) The U.S. begins the Vietnam War.
10. What is Father James Carroll celebrating?
(a) His first mass and giving his first sermon.
(b) The birth of his daughter.
(d) A baptism.
11. President Kennedy reverses nuclear thinking through speeches, the Test Ban Treaty and what else?
(a) The United Nations Treaty.
(b) The Nuclear Weaponry Treaty.
(c) The Treaty for Human Liberties.
(d) The Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty.
12. What belief does the General share with his son?
(a) That he is plotting to destroy Martin Luther King, Jr.
(b) That he is secretly against the Vietnam War.
(c) That he believes the curse still exists.
(d) That World War III is inevitable.
13. After receiving his award at Georgetown University, what does the author receive?
(a) A gold-plated model fighter jet.
(b) A silver-plated model aircraft carrier.
(c) A platinum model tank.
(d) A stainless-steel model B-52 bomber.
14. What does Joe stay in for twenty-five years rather than the six months originally expected?
(a) The Navy.
(b) The Air Force.
(c) The FBI.
(d) The Secret Service.
15. What is one reason why James receives the ROTC award?
(a) No one else deserves the award.
(b) He wears his father's shoes shined by the General's orderlies.
(c) He bribes the Commander.
(d) He is a good pilot.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who confirms his appreciation of Joe Carroll by assigning him to Washington as chief of kidnapping and bank robbery investigations for the entire Bureau?
2. How many generals attend the reception following at the Officers' Club?
3. What are Americans encouraged to do against the Soviet fallout?
4. Who does James believe as a young boy to be virtuous?
5. Where does James attend school?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)