|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is outlined in this chapter of background history?
(a) Joe Carroll's life up through the birth of Joe Carroll Jr.
(b) Joe Carroll's life up through the birth of James Carroll.
(c) Joe Carroll's childhood.
(d) Joe Carroll's childhood until his marriage.
2. What proposes using bomb shelters after a U.S. first strike?
(a) The United States-Russian Compromise of 1965.
(b) The Embargo Act.
(c) The 1961 Burris Memorandum.
(d) The Bay of Pigs.
3. Who does James believe as a young boy to be virtuous?
(a) His father.
(b) His mother.
(d) The Pope.
4. Where does James attend school?
(a) In the charter school system.
(b) In private military academies.
(c) Grade school at St. Mary's School and begins high school in the Priory School at a Benedictine monastery.
(d) In the Washington, D.C. public schools.
5. He finishes preaching his first sermon by reaffirming General Lemay's SAC motto. What is that motto?
(a) "Military is mighty."
(b) "Et tu Brute."
(c) "War is our craft."
(d) "Peace is our profession."
6. How does Joe feel about leaving the seminary?
(a) He is unsure.
(b) Like a disgrace.
(c) He is sad.
(d) He is confident.
7. Of whom will the General depend on James to take care?
(a) "Mom and the boys."
(b) "Our country."
(c) "The family."
(d) "The Church."
8. Of what is this sexual image the opposite in James' life?
(a) Of the Puritanism James is raised in.
(b) She is female.
(c) He has many girlfriends.
(d) He is wealthy.
9. What does General Carroll confide in his son?
(a) He misses Chicago.
(b) He wants to be a priest.
(c) He may not come home some night.
(d) He does not enjoy working for the FBI.
10. What dream does James abandon, when he chooses to attend seminary school?
(a) To join the Navy.
(b) To be a professional football player.
(c) To follow General Carroll in the Air Force.
(d) To marry.
11. Joe and Jim wear Democrat campaign pins with what motto to protest Republican "I Like Ike" campaign pins?
(a) "I like Everybody."
(b) "I Hate Ike."
(c) "I Don't Like Ike."
(d) "Who's Ike?"
12. James Carroll reminisces on experiences as a young boy growing up in what city?
(a) Washington, D.C.
(b) New York City.
(c) Chicago, IL.
(d) Richmond, VA.
13. Where does the author secretly throw his Georgetown University prize?
(a) In the Atlantic ocean.
(b) Into the swamp behind the seminary.
(c) In the Potomac.
(d) In the woods behind the seminary.
14. Who confirms his appreciation of Joe Carroll by assigning him to Washington as chief of kidnapping and bank robbery investigations for the entire Bureau?
(a) Robert F. Kennedy.
(b) J. Edgar Hoover.
(c) James Carroll.
(d) John F. Kennedy.
15. World War II is ongoing, and where is Joe assigned?
(a) Secret Service.
(b) Selective Service enforcement.
(c) Private First Class.
(d) U.S. Cavalry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Catholics call the Chapel?
2. Who is the newly-ordained priest?
3. What type of student is James in high school?
4. In 1959, why does the Pope convene an Ecumenical Council?
5. No longer Father James, a priest, what is James Carroll?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)