|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. No longer Father James, a priest, what is James Carroll?
(a) A painter.
(b) An engineer.
(c) A businessman.
(d) A writer.
2. Why does James feel as if he knows the Pope?
(a) He has met him several times.
(b) He hears about him every day at school.
(c) He sees him on television.
(d) He sees the Pope's picture everywhere.
3. How is Joe's father, "Dike" Carroll, occasionally employed?
(a) As a sailor on Lake Michigan.
(b) As a janitor in a South Side ward house.
(c) As a butler in a South Side ward house.
(d) As a body guard.
4. How does Joe's childhood compare to the social standing he later achieves?
(a) It is very similar.
(b) Same social standing, but in a different city.
(c) It stands in stark contrast.
(d) It is somewhat different.
5. What are Americans encouraged to do against the Soviet fallout?
(a) Prepare to attack.
(b) Take vitamins.
(c) Buy gas masks.
(d) Build bomb shelters.
6. How does Joe feel about leaving the seminary?
(a) He is sad.
(b) He is unsure.
(c) Like a disgrace.
(d) He is confident.
7. How does this chapter compare to the conflicted and painful opening chapter?
(a) This section is similar in feelng.
(b) It is a sad chapter.
(c) It is a disappointing chapter.
(d) This section is uplifting.
8. Where does Joe attend six years of night school?
(a) Loyola Law School.
(b) Northwestern Law School.
(c) Loyal School of Medicine.
(d) Northwestern School of Medicine.
9. President Kennedy reverses nuclear thinking through speeches, the Test Ban Treaty and what else?
(a) The Nuclear Weaponry Treaty.
(b) The Treaty for Human Liberties.
(c) The United Nations Treaty.
(d) The Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty.
10. For what does James' father never forgive himself?
(a) Becoming a member of the FBI.
(b) Leaving the seminary.
(c) Working for the Air Force.
(d) Planning to join the priesthood.
11. James is in college now and working as what for the summer?
(a) A football coach.
(b) An FBI cryptanalyst's aid.
(c) A pastor.
(d) An Air Force aid.
12. Who symbolically unites the Elvis sexuality and the priestly celibacy?
(a) The new Pope.
(b) Monsigneur Chess.
(c) The Air Force chaplains.
(d) The Young nuns.
13. Where does Joe Carroll work to support his family?
(a) In the Chicago stockyards.
(b) In a bar.
(c) In a bank.
(d) For the Chicago Tribune.
14. What does James learn about religious faith?
(a) It brings families together.
(b) It is healing.
(c) It helps one understand life.
(d) It involves suffering and unhappiness.
15. Who confirms his appreciation of Joe Carroll by assigning him to Washington as chief of kidnapping and bank robbery investigations for the entire Bureau?
(a) Robert F. Kennedy.
(b) James Carroll.
(c) John F. Kennedy.
(d) J. Edgar Hoover.
Short Answer Questions
1. The rank General Carroll achieves allows his family to have friendships among what group of people?
2. Who reflects a new image of priests than James and his mother remember?
3. His senior year Homecoming Day game is with what city?
4. What happens as James and his father are golfing on the base golf course in Puerto Rico?
5. What do the Catholics call the Chapel?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)