|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does being a priest preaching his first sermon make apparent about James?
(a) His fear.
(b) His love of his country.
(c) His power.
(d) His cowardice.
2. Father Carroll affirms whose power?
(a) His power.
(c) The United States.
3. What does he instruct James to do?
(a) Move back to Chicago.
(b) Join the FBI.
(c) Become a priest.
(d) Drive his mother and brothers south to Richmond.
4. What happens as James and his father are golfing on the base golf course in Puerto Rico?
(a) A fleet of B-52 bombers lands.
(b) The U.S. begins the Vietnam War.
(c) James tells his father he is joining the priesthood.
(d) James tells his father he is marrying Lexa.
5. How is James, Joe and Mary's second son, born?
(c) Oxygen-deprived and in danger of dying but survives.
6. Who reflects a new image of priests than James and his mother remember?
(a) The Paulists.
(b) Monsignor Chess and his associates.
(c) Young chaplains in Wiesbaden.
(d) The priests in the Wiesbaden church.
7. Joe junior is struck with what illness?
(a) Muscular dystrophy.
8. For what does James' father never forgive himself?
(a) Planning to join the priesthood.
(b) Becoming a member of the FBI.
(c) Working for the Air Force.
(d) Leaving the seminary.
9. Of whom will the General depend on James to take care?
(a) "The family."
(b) "Mom and the boys."
(c) "The Church."
(d) "Our country."
10. Where does Joe Carroll work to support his family?
(a) In the Chicago stockyards.
(b) In a bar.
(c) In a bank.
(d) For the Chicago Tribune.
11. Who symbolically unites the Elvis sexuality and the priestly celibacy?
(a) Monsigneur Chess.
(b) The Young nuns.
(c) The Air Force chaplains.
(d) The new Pope.
12. He finishes preaching his first sermon by reaffirming General Lemay's SAC motto. What is that motto?
(a) "Peace is our profession."
(b) "Et tu Brute."
(c) "War is our craft."
(d) "Military is mighty."
13. Who confirms his appreciation of Joe Carroll by assigning him to Washington as chief of kidnapping and bank robbery investigations for the entire Bureau?
(a) John F. Kennedy.
(b) James Carroll.
(c) Robert F. Kennedy.
(d) J. Edgar Hoover.
14. In his year at Georgetown University what is the author named?
(a) Outstanding Air Force ROTC Cadet.
(b) Mighty Seamen Cadet.
(c) Superb Navy Cadet.
(d) Excellent Army Recruit.
15. Where does the author's mother take him as a two-year-old along with his four-year-old brother, Joe?
(a) To Disney World.
(b) FDR's presidential inauguration.
(c) To New York City.
(d) To Chicago to visit relatives.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does James perceive the Carroll family's time in Germany?
2. In 1959, why does the Pope convene an Ecumenical Council?
3. What does Joe junior undergo a dozen of over the next fifteen years?
4. Who prophecies a valley full of vast quantities of dry bones?
5. President Kennedy reverses nuclear thinking through speeches, the Test Ban Treaty and what else?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)