|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the newly-ordained priest?
(a) Patrick Hughes.
(b) Edgar Hoover.
(c) The author.
(d) Joseph Carroll.
2. Why does James feel as if he knows the Pope?
(a) He has met him several times.
(b) He sees the Pope's picture everywhere.
(c) He sees him on television.
(d) He hears about him every day at school.
3. Who is founding director of the Defense Intelligence Agency in charge of enemy counts and evaluating targets in Vietnam?
(a) Lieutenant-General Brian Carroll.
(b) Lieutenant-General Brent Carroll.
(c) Lieutenant-General James Carroll.
(d) Lieutenant-General Joseph F. Carroll.
4. Of what is this sexual image the opposite in James' life?
(a) He has many girlfriends.
(b) She is female.
(c) He is wealthy.
(d) Of the Puritanism James is raised in.
5. In November 1965, who sets himself on fire at the Pentagon?
(a) A German soldier.
(b) A hippie from San Francisco.
(c) A Quaker war-protester.
(d) A Neo-Nazi.
6. What are Americans encouraged to do against the Soviet fallout?
(a) Buy gas masks.
(b) Take vitamins.
(c) Prepare to attack.
(d) Build bomb shelters.
7. Where does Joe attend six years of night school?
(a) Loyola Law School.
(b) Loyal School of Medicine.
(c) Northwestern School of Medicine.
(d) Northwestern Law School.
8. How does James interpret the experiences of their lives in Christian terms?
(a) Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord.
(b) They no not what they do.
(c) As the cross they must bear.
(d) Those without sin cast the first stone.
9. How does Edward J. Kelly, Chicago's mayor and head of the Democratic Party, bring in millions?
(a) He works as a philanthropist.
(b) He invents the automatic voting machine.
(c) Through illegal gambling and other vices run out of city hall, police stations and ward offices.
(d) He employs many to help raise funds.
10. What Chicago bank robber, kidnapper and killer has a significant impact on James' father's career?
(a) Richard Thomas.
(b) Robert Tolliver.
(c) Ruben Toulouse.
(d) Roger Touhy.
11. His senior year Homecoming Day game is with what city?
12. No longer Father James, a priest, what is James Carroll?
(a) A businessman.
(b) An engineer.
(c) A writer.
(d) A painter.
13. Where does James attend school?
(a) In the Washington, D.C. public schools.
(b) Grade school at St. Mary's School and begins high school in the Priory School at a Benedictine monastery.
(c) In private military academies.
(d) In the charter school system.
14. Father Carroll affirms whose power?
(b) His power.
(c) The United States.
15. Of whom will the General depend on James to take care?
(a) "Mom and the boys."
(b) "Our country."
(c) "The Church."
(d) "The family."
Short Answer Questions
1. What proposes using bomb shelters after a U.S. first strike?
2. How does Joe's childhood compare to the social standing he later achieves?
3. Joe and Jim wear Democrat campaign pins with what motto to protest Republican "I Like Ike" campaign pins?
4. What has made FDR paralyzed from the waist down?
5. Joseph gives his family what motto?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)