|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Eisenhower is the first president who wears what kind of hat?
(a) A top hat.
(b) A baseball cap.
(c) A beaver cap.
2. What does Joe stay in for twenty-five years rather than the six months originally expected?
(a) The Navy.
(b) The FBI.
(c) The Secret Service.
(d) The Air Force.
3. How does Joe's childhood compare to the social standing he later achieves?
(a) It stands in stark contrast.
(b) It is very similar.
(c) Same social standing, but in a different city.
(d) It is somewhat different.
4. How is James, Joe and Mary's second son, born?
(c) Oxygen-deprived and in danger of dying but survives.
5. How does James get to know Monsignor Chess?
(a) He teaches at James' school.
(b) He is the priest at James' church.
(c) James' works for him in the rectory.
(d) James caddies for him and his father.
6. Despite the cold, James is pleased this president does not do this.
(a) Wear a scarf.
(b) Say his speech inside.
(c) Cancel the inaugural ceremony.
(d) Wear a hat.
7. After receiving his award at Georgetown University, what does the author receive?
(a) A platinum model tank.
(b) A silver-plated model aircraft carrier.
(c) A stainless-steel model B-52 bomber.
(d) A gold-plated model fighter jet.
8. Who is the newly-ordained priest?
(a) Joseph Carroll.
(b) The author.
(c) Edgar Hoover.
(d) Patrick Hughes.
9. What does General Carroll confide in his son?
(a) He may not come home some night.
(b) He wants to be a priest.
(c) He misses Chicago.
(d) He does not enjoy working for the FBI.
10. Joe, now General Carroll, is serving in what position?
(a) Chief of staff of the Navy in Europe.
(b) Major General of the Air Force in Europe.
(c) Major General of the Air Force in Europe.
(d) Chief of Staff of the Air Force in Europe.
11. James recalls that by 1993, he no longer fears nuclear war. Why?
(a) He has built a fallout shelter.
(b) The 1960's war-mongers are held off in part by his father's efforts.
(c) No other nation has nuclear war capabilities.
(d) The U.S. has destroyed all of its nuclear weapons.
12. In his year at Georgetown University what is the author named?
(a) Outstanding Air Force ROTC Cadet.
(b) Excellent Army Recruit.
(c) Mighty Seamen Cadet.
(d) Superb Navy Cadet.
13. What happens as James and his father are golfing on the base golf course in Puerto Rico?
(a) The U.S. begins the Vietnam War.
(b) A fleet of B-52 bombers lands.
(c) James tells his father he is marrying Lexa.
(d) James tells his father he is joining the priesthood.
14. Silence during their ride home does what between James and his father?
(a) Makes them uncomfortable.
(b) Seals the bond.
(c) Leaves unanswered questions.
(d) Causes a rift between to two.
15. For years what does James wonder about his father?
(a) Why he left the seminary.
(b) How he decides to join the FBI.
(c) Why he married his mother.
(d) How his anti-war stance would affect his father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the Chapel located?
2. He finishes preaching his first sermon by reaffirming General Lemay's SAC motto. What is that motto?
3. What does being a priest preaching his first sermon make apparent about James?
4. What does James believe the B-52's utility and longevity discourage?
5. Who does James believe as a young boy to be virtuous?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)