|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many generals attend the reception following at the Officers' Club?
(a) Two hundred.
(c) One hundred.
(d) Only one.
2. James hopes his ROTC unit is picked to march in whose parade?
3. What dream does James abandon, when he chooses to attend seminary school?
(a) To join the Navy.
(b) To follow General Carroll in the Air Force.
(c) To marry.
(d) To be a professional football player.
4. How many years later does James break his vow and leave the priesthood?
(a) Two years later.
(b) Fifteen years later.
(c) Five years later.
(d) Twelve years later.
5. How does James get to know Monsignor Chess?
(a) He teaches at James' school.
(b) James' works for him in the rectory.
(c) He is the priest at James' church.
(d) James caddies for him and his father.
6. Who is the newly-ordained priest?
(a) Patrick Hughes.
(b) Edgar Hoover.
(c) Joseph Carroll.
(d) The author.
7. What does General Carroll confide in his son?
(a) He may not come home some night.
(b) He wants to be a priest.
(c) He misses Chicago.
(d) He does not enjoy working for the FBI.
8. Of whom will the General depend on James to take care?
(a) "The Church."
(b) "The family."
(c) "Mom and the boys."
(d) "Our country."
9. Silence during their ride home does what between James and his father?
(a) Makes them uncomfortable.
(b) Seals the bond.
(c) Leaves unanswered questions.
(d) Causes a rift between to two.
10. What do the Catholics call the Chapel?
(a) "Our Father."
(b) "Holy Trinity."
(c) "Our Lady of Peace."
(d) "Our Lady of Perpetual Help."
11. Joe and Mary Carroll have how many brothers and sisters?
12. The Touhy manhunt takes on the wartime symbolism of a hunt for who?
13. What does James learn about religious faith?
(a) It brings families together.
(b) It is healing.
(c) It involves suffering and unhappiness.
(d) It helps one understand life.
14. No longer Father James, a priest, what is James Carroll?
(a) A painter.
(b) A writer.
(c) A businessman.
(d) An engineer.
15. How is Joe's father, "Dike" Carroll, occasionally employed?
(a) As a body guard.
(b) As a sailor on Lake Michigan.
(c) As a butler in a South Side ward house.
(d) As a janitor in a South Side ward house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens as James and his father are golfing on the base golf course in Puerto Rico?
2. Where is the Chapel located?
3. Who reflects a new image of priests than James and his mother remember?
4. What Chicago bank robber, kidnapper and killer has a significant impact on James' father's career?
5. What has made FDR paralyzed from the waist down?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)