|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens as James and his father are golfing on the base golf course in Puerto Rico?
(a) James tells his father he is marrying Lexa.
(b) James tells his father he is joining the priesthood.
(c) The U.S. begins the Vietnam War.
(d) A fleet of B-52 bombers lands.
2. In Irish Chicago of that day, what does a refusal to become a priest after twelve years of seminary make Joe Carroll?
(a) A spoiled priest.
(b) A cheat.
(c) A mean-spirited priest.
(d) A thief.
3. Who confirms his appreciation of Joe Carroll by assigning him to Washington as chief of kidnapping and bank robbery investigations for the entire Bureau?
(a) James Carroll.
(b) J. Edgar Hoover.
(c) John F. Kennedy.
(d) Robert F. Kennedy.
4. What is one reason why James receives the ROTC award?
(a) No one else deserves the award.
(b) He bribes the Commander.
(c) He wears his father's shoes shined by the General's orderlies.
(d) He is a good pilot.
5. What does he instruct James to do?
(a) Drive his mother and brothers south to Richmond.
(b) Join the FBI.
(c) Move back to Chicago.
(d) Become a priest.
6. Joseph gives his family what motto?
(a) Liberte et Fraternite.
(b) Etre ou ne pas Etre.
(c) To Thyself Be True.
(d) Pro Deo et Patria.
7. Who is the ever-present symbol and embodiment of the Catholic Church?
(d) The Pope.
8. Who does James feel shame to admit is his childhood neighbor on Generals' Row?
(a) Father Frank Miller.
(b) President Herbert Hoover.
(c) Robert F. Kennedy.
(d) General Curtis Lemay.
9. Where does the author's mother take him as a two-year-old along with his four-year-old brother, Joe?
(a) To Disney World.
(b) FDR's presidential inauguration.
(c) To New York City.
(d) To Chicago to visit relatives.
10. Joe and his family leave Chicago for FBI training. After training, where are they assigned?
(b) Los Angeles.
(d) New York.
11. For years what does James wonder about his father?
(a) Why he left the seminary.
(b) How he decides to join the FBI.
(c) Why he married his mother.
(d) How his anti-war stance would affect his father.
12. FDR is an admired president because of the way he treats what?
(a) The U.S. citizens.
(b) His enemies.
(c) His affliction.
(d) His children.
13. After receiving his award at Georgetown University, what does the author receive?
(a) A stainless-steel model B-52 bomber.
(b) A silver-plated model aircraft carrier.
(c) A platinum model tank.
(d) A gold-plated model fighter jet.
14. Who does James believe as a young boy to be virtuous?
(a) His mother.
(c) The Pope.
(d) His father.
15. Silence during their ride home does what between James and his father?
(a) Makes them uncomfortable.
(b) Leaves unanswered questions.
(c) Seals the bond.
(d) Causes a rift between to two.
Short Answer Questions
1. Eisenhower is the first president who wears what kind of hat?
2. Who symbolically unites the Elvis sexuality and the priestly celibacy?
3. What does being a priest preaching his first sermon make apparent about James?
4. How many years later does James break his vow and leave the priesthood?
5. Of what is Joe junior a sign?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)