|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Joseph gives his family what motto?
(a) Liberte et Fraternite.
(b) Etre ou ne pas Etre.
(c) Pro Deo et Patria.
(d) To Thyself Be True.
2. In November 1965, who sets himself on fire at the Pentagon?
(a) A German soldier.
(b) A hippie from San Francisco.
(c) A Quaker war-protester.
(d) A Neo-Nazi.
3. Of what is this sexual image the opposite in James' life?
(a) He has many girlfriends.
(b) She is female.
(c) Of the Puritanism James is raised in.
(d) He is wealthy.
4. James hopes his ROTC unit is picked to march in whose parade?
5. What does Joseph believe his own pride causes?
(a) His wealth.
(b) His son's disease.
(c) His family's unhappiness.
6. Who is the ever-present symbol and embodiment of the Catholic Church?
(c) The Pope.
7. Who symbolically unites the Elvis sexuality and the priestly celibacy?
(a) The Air Force chaplains.
(b) Monsigneur Chess.
(c) The new Pope.
(d) The Young nuns.
8. What does he instruct James to do?
(a) Become a priest.
(b) Move back to Chicago.
(c) Drive his mother and brothers south to Richmond.
(d) Join the FBI.
9. How does Edward J. Kelly, Chicago's mayor and head of the Democratic Party, bring in millions?
(a) He invents the automatic voting machine.
(b) He works as a philanthropist.
(c) Through illegal gambling and other vices run out of city hall, police stations and ward offices.
(d) He employs many to help raise funds.
10. How many years later does James break his vow and leave the priesthood?
(a) Two years later.
(b) Five years later.
(c) Twelve years later.
(d) Fifteen years later.
11. In what are both James and his father entwined?
(a) Government scandal.
(b) The curse.
(c) The Air Force.
(d) Lives of the military and the priesthood.
12. Who is the newly-ordained priest?
(a) Joseph Carroll.
(b) The author.
(c) Patrick Hughes.
(d) Edgar Hoover.
13. Why does James feel as if he knows the Pope?
(a) He has met him several times.
(b) He sees the Pope's picture everywhere.
(c) He hears about him every day at school.
(d) He sees him on television.
14. His senior year Homecoming Day game is with what city?
15. What is outlined in this chapter of background history?
(a) Joe Carroll's childhood until his marriage.
(b) Joe Carroll's childhood.
(c) Joe Carroll's life up through the birth of Joe Carroll Jr.
(d) Joe Carroll's life up through the birth of James Carroll.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one reason why James receives the ROTC award?
2. The author reflects on perceptions that he and his father give up worlds they love. Why?
3. He finishes preaching his first sermon by reaffirming General Lemay's SAC motto. What is that motto?
4. Where does Joe Carroll work to support his family?
5. Who does James believe as a young boy to be virtuous?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)