|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does James learn about religious faith?
(a) It helps one understand life.
(b) It brings families together.
(c) It involves suffering and unhappiness.
(d) It is healing.
2. In November 1965, who sets himself on fire at the Pentagon?
(a) A Neo-Nazi.
(b) A hippie from San Francisco.
(c) A Quaker war-protester.
(d) A German soldier.
3. What type of student is James in high school?
(a) A member of Glee Club.
(b) A musician.
(c) A "C" student.
(d) An "A" student.
4. Joe and Jim wear Democrat campaign pins with what motto to protest Republican "I Like Ike" campaign pins?
(a) "Who's Ike?"
(b) "I like Everybody."
(c) "I Don't Like Ike."
(d) "I Hate Ike."
5. In 1959, why does the Pope convene an Ecumenical Council?
(a) To change the Bible.
(b) To meet new priests.
(c) To refresh the Church.
(d) To meet with members of other religions.
6. In Irish Chicago of that day, what does a refusal to become a priest after twelve years of seminary make Joe Carroll?
(a) A spoiled priest.
(b) A thief.
(c) A mean-spirited priest.
(d) A cheat.
7. Of whom will the General depend on James to take care?
(a) "Mom and the boys."
(b) "The Church."
(c) "The family."
(d) "Our country."
8. What does Joe stay in for twenty-five years rather than the six months originally expected?
(a) The Air Force.
(b) The Secret Service.
(c) The Navy.
(d) The FBI.
9. No longer Father James, a priest, what is James Carroll?
(a) An engineer.
(b) A writer.
(c) A businessman.
(d) A painter.
10. In what are both James and his father entwined?
(a) Government scandal.
(b) The curse.
(c) The Air Force.
(d) Lives of the military and the priesthood.
11. What do the Catholics call the Chapel?
(a) "Our Lady of Perpetual Help."
(b) "Our Father."
(c) "Our Lady of Peace."
(d) "Holy Trinity."
12. Mary points out distinctive features and size as her tours near this building, which is also known as the Pentagon.
(a) The Secret Service Building.
(b) The FBI Headquarters.
(c) Protection Agency.
(d) Department of War Building.
13. How many years later does James break his vow and leave the priesthood?
(a) Two years later.
(b) Five years later.
(c) Twelve years later.
(d) Fifteen years later.
14. Where does the author secretly throw his Georgetown University prize?
(a) Into the swamp behind the seminary.
(b) In the woods behind the seminary.
(c) In the Atlantic ocean.
(d) In the Potomac.
15. Where does Joe attend six years of night school?
(a) Loyola Law School.
(b) Northwestern Law School.
(c) Loyal School of Medicine.
(d) Northwestern School of Medicine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does being a priest preaching his first sermon make apparent about James?
2. What Chicago bank robber, kidnapper and killer has a significant impact on James' father's career?
3. Silence during their ride home does what between James and his father?
4. How does Joe's childhood compare to the social standing he later achieves?
5. What does General Carroll confide in his son?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)