|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. James and Joe junior accompany their father to what base in Puerto Rico?
(a) Ramey Air Force Base.
(b) Fort Knox.
(c) Fort Benjamin Harrison.
(d) Fort Bragg.
2. James is in college now and working as what for the summer?
(a) A football coach.
(b) An Air Force aid.
(c) An FBI cryptanalyst's aid.
(d) A pastor.
3. What are Americans encouraged to do against the Soviet fallout?
(a) Build bomb shelters.
(b) Buy gas masks.
(c) Prepare to attack.
(d) Take vitamins.
4. James recalls that by 1993, he no longer fears nuclear war. Why?
(a) The 1960's war-mongers are held off in part by his father's efforts.
(b) He has built a fallout shelter.
(c) The U.S. has destroyed all of its nuclear weapons.
(d) No other nation has nuclear war capabilities.
5. How does Joe feel about leaving the seminary?
(a) He is unsure.
(b) Like a disgrace.
(c) He is sad.
(d) He is confident.
6. What does James learn about religious faith?
(a) It is healing.
(b) It involves suffering and unhappiness.
(c) It brings families together.
(d) It helps one understand life.
7. How many generals attend the reception following at the Officers' Club?
(b) Only one.
(c) One hundred.
(d) Two hundred.
8. How many years later does James break his vow and leave the priesthood?
(a) Fifteen years later.
(b) Twelve years later.
(c) Five years later.
(d) Two years later.
9. What does being a priest preaching his first sermon make apparent about James?
(a) His power.
(b) His love of his country.
(c) His fear.
(d) His cowardice.
10. Who is the newly-ordained priest?
(a) Joseph Carroll.
(b) Edgar Hoover.
(c) The author.
(d) Patrick Hughes.
11. Joe junior is struck with what illness?
(a) Muscular dystrophy.
12. James hopes his ROTC unit is picked to march in whose parade?
13. Who believes human nature is incapable of good?
(a) A Scottish Methodist.
(b) A French Boiserrie.
(c) An Irish Jansenist.
(d) An English Transcendentalist.
14. Where is the Chapel located?
(a) On the west side of the Potomac River.
(b) On the east side of the Potomac River.
(c) On the north side of the Potomac River.
(d) On the south side of the Potomac River.
15. What does Joe stay in for twenty-five years rather than the six months originally expected?
(a) The Air Force.
(b) The Secret Service.
(c) The Navy.
(d) The FBI.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Joe's father, "Dike" Carroll, occasionally employed?
2. How does James perceive the Carroll family's time in Germany?
3. What do the Catholics call the Chapel?
4. How does Edward J. Kelly, Chicago's mayor and head of the Democratic Party, bring in millions?
5. Where does Joe attend six years of night school?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)