|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does being a priest preaching his first sermon make apparent about James?
(a) His fear.
(b) His cowardice.
(c) His power.
(d) His love of his country.
2. In 1959, why does the Pope convene an Ecumenical Council?
(a) To change the Bible.
(b) To refresh the Church.
(c) To meet with members of other religions.
(d) To meet new priests.
3. How does James get to know Monsignor Chess?
(a) James caddies for him and his father.
(b) He is the priest at James' church.
(c) James' works for him in the rectory.
(d) He teaches at James' school.
4. Joe, now General Carroll, is serving in what position?
(a) Chief of Staff of the Air Force in Europe.
(b) Major General of the Air Force in Europe.
(c) Chief of staff of the Navy in Europe.
(d) Major General of the Air Force in Europe.
5. Where does James attend school?
(a) In private military academies.
(b) Grade school at St. Mary's School and begins high school in the Priory School at a Benedictine monastery.
(c) In the Washington, D.C. public schools.
(d) In the charter school system.
6. How is James, Joe and Mary's second son, born?
(c) Oxygen-deprived and in danger of dying but survives.
7. Who reflects a new image of priests than James and his mother remember?
(a) Monsignor Chess and his associates.
(b) The Paulists.
(c) The priests in the Wiesbaden church.
(d) Young chaplains in Wiesbaden.
8. His senior year Homecoming Day game is with what city?
9. What proposes using bomb shelters after a U.S. first strike?
(a) The Embargo Act.
(b) The Bay of Pigs.
(c) The United States-Russian Compromise of 1965.
(d) The 1961 Burris Memorandum.
10. Mary points out distinctive features and size as her tours near this building, which is also known as the Pentagon.
(a) Department of War Building.
(b) Protection Agency.
(c) The Secret Service Building.
(d) The FBI Headquarters.
11. President Kennedy reverses nuclear thinking through speeches, the Test Ban Treaty and what else?
(a) The Treaty for Human Liberties.
(b) The Nuclear Weaponry Treaty.
(c) The Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty.
(d) The United Nations Treaty.
12. What is Father James Carroll celebrating?
(a) A baptism.
(b) His first mass and giving his first sermon.
(c) The birth of his daughter.
13. Joe and Jim wear Democrat campaign pins with what motto to protest Republican "I Like Ike" campaign pins?
(a) "I Hate Ike."
(b) "I like Everybody."
(c) "Who's Ike?"
(d) "I Don't Like Ike."
14. Where does the author secretly throw his Georgetown University prize?
(a) In the woods behind the seminary.
(b) In the Potomac.
(c) In the Atlantic ocean.
(d) Into the swamp behind the seminary.
15. Of what is this sexual image the opposite in James' life?
(a) He is wealthy.
(b) Of the Puritanism James is raised in.
(c) She is female.
(d) He has many girlfriends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens as James and his father are golfing on the base golf course in Puerto Rico?
2. Despite the cold, James is pleased this president does not do this.
3. Who prophecies a valley full of vast quantities of dry bones?
4. What does Joe stay in for twenty-five years rather than the six months originally expected?
5. Who commends Joe Carroll's action in capturing Touhy?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)