|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the author's mother take him as a two-year-old along with his four-year-old brother, Joe?
(a) FDR's presidential inauguration.
(b) To Chicago to visit relatives.
(c) To Disney World.
(d) To New York City.
2. What has made FDR paralyzed from the waist down?
(b) An automobile accident.
(d) A riding accident.
3. What is outlined in this chapter of background history?
(a) Joe Carroll's childhood.
(b) Joe Carroll's life up through the birth of Joe Carroll Jr.
(c) Joe Carroll's life up through the birth of James Carroll.
(d) Joe Carroll's childhood until his marriage.
4. In what are both James and his father entwined?
(a) The curse.
(b) The Air Force.
(c) Lives of the military and the priesthood.
(d) Government scandal.
5. Of what is Joe junior a sign?
(a) There is a God.
(b) God's disapproval.
(c) God's approval for the neighbors to see.
(d) Of shame.
6. What does Joseph believe his own pride causes?
(a) His son's disease.
(b) His family's unhappiness.
(c) His wealth.
7. Who prophecies a valley full of vast quantities of dry bones?
8. Where is the Chapel located?
(a) On the west side of the Potomac River.
(b) On the east side of the Potomac River.
(c) On the north side of the Potomac River.
(d) On the south side of the Potomac River.
9. Eisenhower is the first president who wears what kind of hat?
(a) A top hat.
(c) A baseball cap.
(d) A beaver cap.
10. Joe and Mary Carroll have how many brothers and sisters?
11. World War II is ongoing, and where is Joe assigned?
(a) Secret Service.
(b) Selective Service enforcement.
(c) Private First Class.
(d) U.S. Cavalry.
12. What dream does James abandon, when he chooses to attend seminary school?
(a) To marry.
(b) To be a professional football player.
(c) To follow General Carroll in the Air Force.
(d) To join the Navy.
13. Who confirms his appreciation of Joe Carroll by assigning him to Washington as chief of kidnapping and bank robbery investigations for the entire Bureau?
(a) Robert F. Kennedy.
(b) James Carroll.
(c) J. Edgar Hoover.
(d) John F. Kennedy.
14. What does James learn about religious faith?
(a) It helps one understand life.
(b) It involves suffering and unhappiness.
(c) It brings families together.
(d) It is healing.
15. The author reflects on perceptions that he and his father give up worlds they love. Why?
(a) For war.
(b) For what they want.
(c) For their country.
(d) For peace.
Short Answer Questions
1. The rank General Carroll achieves allows his family to have friendships among what group of people?
2. In November 1965, who sets himself on fire at the Pentagon?
3. For what does James' father never forgive himself?
4. How does Joe feel about leaving the seminary?
5. FDR is an admired president because of the way he treats what?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)