|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. No longer Father James, a priest, what is James Carroll?
(a) An engineer.
(b) A painter.
(c) A writer.
(d) A businessman.
2. How does James interpret the experiences of their lives in Christian terms?
(a) Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord.
(b) Those without sin cast the first stone.
(c) As the cross they must bear.
(d) They no not what they do.
3. What belief does the General share with his son?
(a) That World War III is inevitable.
(b) That he is secretly against the Vietnam War.
(c) That he is plotting to destroy Martin Luther King, Jr.
(d) That he believes the curse still exists.
4. James Carroll reminisces on experiences as a young boy growing up in what city?
(a) New York City.
(b) Chicago, IL.
(c) Washington, D.C.
(d) Richmond, VA.
5. Of what is Joe junior a sign?
(a) There is a God.
(b) God's disapproval.
(c) God's approval for the neighbors to see.
(d) Of shame.
6. How many generals attend the reception following at the Officers' Club?
(b) One hundred.
(c) Only one.
(d) Two hundred.
7. What does Joe stay in for twenty-five years rather than the six months originally expected?
(a) The FBI.
(b) The Air Force.
(c) The Secret Service.
(d) The Navy.
8. Who believes human nature is incapable of good?
(a) A French Boiserrie.
(b) An Irish Jansenist.
(c) A Scottish Methodist.
(d) An English Transcendentalist.
9. What is one reason why James receives the ROTC award?
(a) He wears his father's shoes shined by the General's orderlies.
(b) He bribes the Commander.
(c) He is a good pilot.
(d) No one else deserves the award.
10. FDR is an admired president because of the way he treats what?
(a) His affliction.
(b) His children.
(c) The U.S. citizens.
(d) His enemies.
11. Despite the cold, James is pleased this president does not do this.
(a) Say his speech inside.
(b) Wear a hat.
(c) Cancel the inaugural ceremony.
(d) Wear a scarf.
12. James hopes his ROTC unit is picked to march in whose parade?
13. For what does James' father never forgive himself?
(a) Working for the Air Force.
(b) Becoming a member of the FBI.
(c) Leaving the seminary.
(d) Planning to join the priesthood.
14. In his year at Georgetown University what is the author named?
(a) Excellent Army Recruit.
(b) Mighty Seamen Cadet.
(c) Outstanding Air Force ROTC Cadet.
(d) Superb Navy Cadet.
15. Joseph gives his family what motto?
(a) Pro Deo et Patria.
(b) Liberte et Fraternite.
(c) Etre ou ne pas Etre.
(d) To Thyself Be True.
Short Answer Questions
1. World War II is ongoing, and where is Joe assigned?
2. How does James get to know Monsignor Chess?
3. How does this chapter compare to the conflicted and painful opening chapter?
4. The author reflects on perceptions that he and his father give up worlds they love. Why?
5. In 1959, why does the Pope convene an Ecumenical Council?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)