|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does being a priest preaching his first sermon make apparent about James?
(a) His cowardice.
(b) His fear.
(c) His power.
(d) His love of his country.
2. Joe junior is struck with what illness?
(c) Muscular dystrophy.
3. How many generals attend the reception following at the Officers' Club?
(a) Only one.
(b) Two hundred.
(d) One hundred.
4. How is James, Joe and Mary's second son, born?
(b) Oxygen-deprived and in danger of dying but survives.
5. Where does Joe Carroll work to support his family?
(a) In a bar.
(b) In the Chicago stockyards.
(c) For the Chicago Tribune.
(d) In a bank.
6. FDR is an admired president because of the way he treats what?
(a) His enemies.
(b) The U.S. citizens.
(c) His affliction.
(d) His children.
7. Of what is Joe junior a sign?
(a) God's approval for the neighbors to see.
(b) Of shame.
(c) There is a God.
(d) God's disapproval.
8. Joe and his family leave Chicago for FBI training. After training, where are they assigned?
(b) Los Angeles.
(d) New York.
9. What type of student is James in high school?
(a) An "A" student.
(b) A musician.
(c) A member of Glee Club.
(d) A "C" student.
10. What does General Carroll confide in his son?
(a) He may not come home some night.
(b) He does not enjoy working for the FBI.
(c) He misses Chicago.
(d) He wants to be a priest.
11. The author reflects on perceptions that he and his father give up worlds they love. Why?
(a) For peace.
(b) For their country.
(c) For war.
(d) For what they want.
12. Joe and Jim wear Democrat campaign pins with what motto to protest Republican "I Like Ike" campaign pins?
(a) "I like Everybody."
(b) "I Hate Ike."
(c) "I Don't Like Ike."
(d) "Who's Ike?"
13. What has made FDR paralyzed from the waist down?
(a) An automobile accident.
(c) A riding accident.
14. What belief does the General share with his son?
(a) That he is secretly against the Vietnam War.
(b) That he believes the curse still exists.
(c) That World War III is inevitable.
(d) That he is plotting to destroy Martin Luther King, Jr.
15. How does James perceive the Carroll family's time in Germany?
(a) Their best.
Short Answer Questions
1. His senior year Homecoming Day game is with what city?
2. To where does the Carroll family return from Germany in 1960?
3. How many years later does James break his vow and leave the priesthood?
4. Where does Joe attend six years of night school?
5. In what are both James and his father entwined?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)