|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Joe's childhood compare to the social standing he later achieves?
(a) Same social standing, but in a different city.
(b) It is very similar.
(c) It stands in stark contrast.
(d) It is somewhat different.
2. Joseph gives his family what motto?
(a) Liberte et Fraternite.
(b) Etre ou ne pas Etre.
(c) Pro Deo et Patria.
(d) To Thyself Be True.
3. Who prophecies a valley full of vast quantities of dry bones?
4. What has made FDR paralyzed from the waist down?
(b) An automobile accident.
(c) A riding accident.
5. What does James learn about religious faith?
(a) It involves suffering and unhappiness.
(b) It brings families together.
(c) It is healing.
(d) It helps one understand life.
6. Of what is Joe junior a sign?
(a) God's approval for the neighbors to see.
(b) There is a God.
(c) Of shame.
(d) God's disapproval.
7. How many years later does James break his vow and leave the priesthood?
(a) Two years later.
(b) Twelve years later.
(c) Fifteen years later.
(d) Five years later.
8. What is one reason why James receives the ROTC award?
(a) No one else deserves the award.
(b) He wears his father's shoes shined by the General's orderlies.
(c) He is a good pilot.
(d) He bribes the Commander.
9. Joe and Jim wear Democrat campaign pins with what motto to protest Republican "I Like Ike" campaign pins?
(a) "I Don't Like Ike."
(b) "Who's Ike?"
(c) "I like Everybody."
(d) "I Hate Ike."
10. How is Joe's father, "Dike" Carroll, occasionally employed?
(a) As a body guard.
(b) As a janitor in a South Side ward house.
(c) As a butler in a South Side ward house.
(d) As a sailor on Lake Michigan.
11. What does James believe the B-52's utility and longevity discourage?
(a) Other countries to attack us.
(b) The Air Force from using them.
(c) More destructive bombers.
12. Who does James believe as a young boy to be virtuous?
(a) His father.
(b) His mother.
(d) The Pope.
13. Who believes human nature is incapable of good?
(a) A French Boiserrie.
(b) A Scottish Methodist.
(c) An Irish Jansenist.
(d) An English Transcendentalist.
14. Where does James attend school?
(a) In private military academies.
(b) In the charter school system.
(c) In the Washington, D.C. public schools.
(d) Grade school at St. Mary's School and begins high school in the Priory School at a Benedictine monastery.
15. For what does James' father never forgive himself?
(a) Becoming a member of the FBI.
(b) Working for the Air Force.
(c) Leaving the seminary.
(d) Planning to join the priesthood.
Short Answer Questions
1. No longer Father James, a priest, what is James Carroll?
2. Who symbolically unites the Elvis sexuality and the priestly celibacy?
3. James and Joe junior accompany their father to what base in Puerto Rico?
4. Who confirms his appreciation of Joe Carroll by assigning him to Washington as chief of kidnapping and bank robbery investigations for the entire Bureau?
5. Father Carroll affirms whose power?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)