|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of student is James in high school?
(a) A musician.
(b) A "C" student.
(c) An "A" student.
(d) A member of Glee Club.
2. World War II is ongoing, and where is Joe assigned?
(a) U.S. Cavalry.
(b) Secret Service.
(c) Selective Service enforcement.
(d) Private First Class.
3. The Touhy manhunt takes on the wartime symbolism of a hunt for who?
4. In Irish Chicago of that day, what does a refusal to become a priest after twelve years of seminary make Joe Carroll?
(a) A spoiled priest.
(b) A mean-spirited priest.
(c) A cheat.
(d) A thief.
5. He finishes preaching his first sermon by reaffirming General Lemay's SAC motto. What is that motto?
(a) "War is our craft."
(b) "Military is mighty."
(c) "Et tu Brute."
(d) "Peace is our profession."
6. What does James believe the B-52's utility and longevity discourage?
(a) More destructive bombers.
(b) Other countries to attack us.
(c) The Air Force from using them.
7. What does General Carroll confide in his son?
(a) He may not come home some night.
(b) He wants to be a priest.
(c) He misses Chicago.
(d) He does not enjoy working for the FBI.
8. Mary drives the children to pick Joseph up at night. What does she do on the way home?
(a) Gives them a tour of Washington.
(b) Visits friends.
(c) Drives along the Potomac.
(d) Picks up dinner.
9. What is a highlight of James' parent's life?
(a) Carroll graduating from high school.
(b) Introduction to the new Pope.
(c) Having their children.
(d) Living in Germany.
10. His senior year Homecoming Day game is with what city?
11. What does Joseph believe his own pride causes?
(a) His wealth.
(b) His family's unhappiness.
(d) His son's disease.
12. No longer Father James, a priest, what is James Carroll?
(a) An engineer.
(b) A businessman.
(c) A painter.
(d) A writer.
13. The author reflects on perceptions that he and his father give up worlds they love. Why?
(a) For their country.
(b) For peace.
(c) For what they want.
(d) For war.
14. Where does the author's mother take him as a two-year-old along with his four-year-old brother, Joe?
(a) FDR's presidential inauguration.
(b) To Chicago to visit relatives.
(c) To Disney World.
(d) To New York City.
15. Where does Joe attend six years of night school?
(a) Loyal School of Medicine.
(b) Northwestern School of Medicine.
(c) Loyola Law School.
(d) Northwestern Law School.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what is Joe junior a sign?
2. Eisenhower is the first president who wears what kind of hat?
3. Where is the Chapel located?
4. Silence during their ride home does what between James and his father?
5. Who reflects a new image of priests than James and his mother remember?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)