|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, "Joy to My Youth".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What proposes using bomb shelters after a U.S. first strike?
(a) The United States-Russian Compromise of 1965.
(b) The 1961 Burris Memorandum.
(c) The Bay of Pigs.
(d) The Embargo Act.
2. What is outlined in this chapter of background history?
(a) Joe Carroll's childhood until his marriage.
(b) Joe Carroll's childhood.
(c) Joe Carroll's life up through the birth of Joe Carroll Jr.
(d) Joe Carroll's life up through the birth of James Carroll.
3. The rank General Carroll achieves allows his family to have friendships among what group of people?
(a) The poor of citizen Catholicism.
(b) The elite of military Catholicism.
(c) The poor of military Catholocism.
(d) The elite of citizen Catholicism.
4. How is Joe's father, "Dike" Carroll, occasionally employed?
(a) As a butler in a South Side ward house.
(b) As a sailor on Lake Michigan.
(c) As a janitor in a South Side ward house.
(d) As a body guard.
5. What belief does the General share with his son?
(a) That World War III is inevitable.
(b) That he is plotting to destroy Martin Luther King, Jr.
(c) That he believes the curse still exists.
(d) That he is secretly against the Vietnam War.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joe, now General Carroll, is serving in what position?
2. The Touhy manhunt takes on the wartime symbolism of a hunt for who?
3. What does Joe junior undergo a dozen of over the next fifteen years?
4. The author reflects on perceptions that he and his father give up worlds they love. Why?
5. How does Joe's childhood compare to the social standing he later achieves?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)