|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, "The Imposition".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joe Carroll do as James blesses him and lays hands on his head?
(a) He is filled with the Holy Spirit.
(b) He prays.
(c) He convulses and silently sobs.
(d) He sits silently.
2. James feels his life ends when he enters seminary and that as a child he first hears the word as what?
3. What changes James' life and leads to a weekly review of two poems?
(a) A literature course in school.
(b) A summer writing workshop taught by Allen Tate.
(c) Patrick Hughes' friendship.
(d) A visit by Allen Tate to the college.
4. James Carroll reminisces on experiences as a young boy growing up in what city?
(a) Washington, D.C.
(b) New York City.
(c) Richmond, VA.
(d) Chicago, IL.
5. Why will a local Catholic priest not bury Tate's son, Michael?
(a) The Protestants are fighting to bury him.
(b) Tate is not a Catholic.
(c) Michael is not actually Tate's son.
(d) Tate is a divorced Catholic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is this ceremony for his mother?
2. How does James interpret the experiences of their lives in Christian terms?
3. The Cardinal ritually anoints James' hands and wraps them in linen bands that are given to his mother. What power does this give James?
4. To what does the author flash back?
5. James recalls when he and his fellow candidates lie prostrate on the cold stone floor of St. Paul the Apostle Church. What ceremony is this?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)